juventus

Any New Routes For Pluna Uruguay? US, MEX, Others.

Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:52 am

This article says that they are looking at the US, Mexico, Venezuela and Europe. It also says the new routes are "already defined". Anybody know who they are? Is there a market for Montevideo to Mexico City?

(What are new countries to be served, in addition to already existing service?

The United States, Mexico, Europe – Italy, France and Germany – and closer destinations in Latin America such as Venezuela where we are considering the possibility of offering service. The new destinations are pretty much defined. The only aspect that we need to decide for this projected policy of generous expansion is the required investment to incorporate new aircraft into PLUNA's fleet. In sum, “PLUNA flies, Uruguay takes off,” said President Bouzas.)

luisde8cd

RE: Any New Routes For Pluna Uruguay? US, MEX, Others.

Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:07 am

I heard that Conviasa wants to buy PU and set up two hubs in S.America, one in MVD and the other in CCS. Northbound flights would all depart from CCS and South Cone flights would depart from MVD.

For example any PU flight to Europe, Colombia, Central America, North America would stop in CCS and then codeshare with Conviasa to final destination. Flights from CCS to SCL, EZE, MVD and ASU would all stop in MVD and there PU takes pax to SCL, EZE and ASU.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

juventus

Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:33 am

All right, thanks for the info Luis....

USADreamliner

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:05 am

I like how Pluna is using wisely the fleet for regular flights and also for charter flights.

I don't think Mexico DF would be a great market, maybe Cancun just seasonal.
And to Europe, probably Milan, Frankfurt, Munich and maybe Barcelona (competing with AR and Air Madrid from EZE).

USADreamliner

LatinPlane

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:31 am

The only thing I have heard for the past two years or so is that they are studying the posibility of flying to Mexico because they have noticed that Uruguay is becoming an attractive destination for Mexicans traveling to South America and because they believe that starting such a flight will develop the market further. The flight to Venezuela would be a political one.

Frankly, I don't understand because from what I know, the airline's financial position is in quite bad shape. They have lost quite a lot of money.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

juventus

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:51 am

As far as fleet upgrades, what are they looking at?

ghost77

Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:22 am

IIRC, since last 04 they been saying this. And as Latinplane explains, Uruguay has become a very interesting place for investment from a lot of mexicans. Perhaps a 2X could work.

ghost77 APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

UairFokker

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:49 pm

Well, the main problem of Pluna, right now, is the fleet. Before Pluna opens any of these routes, they need cash, which they dont have, to bu the fleet. Maybe if the Conviasa deal works we will have it.

A good thing for Pluna is that there are now plans to have the new terminal of Carrasco up and running in 2008. Dont know if it will finally be that way, but that wil definetely help Pluna, and Uruguay, a lot.

PavlovsDog

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:56 pm

Montevideo-Caracas-New York/Miami/Houston flights could be very profitable for Pluna if they have rights to fly people between Venezuela and the US. A code share with a "substandard" Venezuelan partner who could handle marketing could be mutually beneficial.

juventus

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:47 pm

[quote=PavlovsDog,reply=8]Montevideo-Caracas-New York/Miami/Houston flights could be very profitable [

Direct flights to JFK or MIA could work with the 767. Or maybe what Avianca used to have, fly to LAX with a stop at MEX with the 757.