OB1783P
Topic Author

How Would You Get To Cayenne?

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:59 am

I asked this same question about two years ago, and the results were so awful I shelved my trip for a while.

Last time you all helped me, there was some Air France island hopping flight that took 8 h to get from Miami to Cayenne, cost $1000, and departed so early that you had to spend a night in Miami. Since I need to leave from PHL / BWI / IAD / EWR / MDT, we came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper AND FASTER to connect in CDG! It would also be faster and cheaper to go to Bangladesh (another dream of mine).

Is it still all that crazy?

I will throw in a wild card: I am willing to settle for Suriname! The spots that attract me in French Guiana (Saint Laurent, Maripasoula) are on the Suriname border, just a few hours by bus from Paramaribo, via Albina.

Also, I notice Continental can get me to Port of Spain for $400. isn't that very close? Can I swim it?
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

MAH4546

RE: How Would You Get To Cayenne?

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:09 am

As you mentioned, the only service between the US and Cayenne is Air France's Miami island hopper, which will take eight hours and three stops, but it sure would be a fun adventure. That is the single quickest way to fly between the US and Cayenne. Even though a connection from the Northeast will involve an overnight, there is still no quicker way.

Quoting OB1783P (Thread starter):
I will throw in a wild card: I am willing to settle for Suriname! The spots that attract me in French Guiana (Saint Laurent, Maripasoula) are on the Suriname border, just a few hours by bus from Paramaribo, via Albina.

Surinam Airways flys to Miami twice a week (flights operated by Falcon Air, since they can't fly their own planes to the US), though the quickest way is via Port of Spain, which has plenty of flights to Paramaibo.
a.

USADreamliner

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:10 am

I guess you can go to MIA and then to Paramaribo with Surinam Airways ( don't know if they still operate the route.)
Why don't you ask to your travel agent?Or the Embassy or Consulate?

USADreamliner

MajorNelson

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:28 am

I asked this same question about two years ago, and the results were so awful I shelved my trip for a while

It would also be faster and cheaper to go to Bangladesh (another dream of mine).

My god - a burning desire for French Guiana? And dreams of going to Bangladesh? She needs a better travel agent!
I turn Tops into Bottoms.

vega

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:58 am

Take the AA Miami - Santa Domingo or Miami - Port-Au-Prince flights that leave between 10 AM and noon and connect with the appropriate Air Caraibes flight to Cayenne. Only one connection and you could certainly get one of the 6AM or so AA same morning flights to Miami from EWR, PHL or WAS. A LONG day to say the least.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

texan

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:36 am

JFK-Guyana for $442 round trip. $1246 is the lowest I can find to PMB right now. BWIA.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

MAH4546

Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:19 pm

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 2):
I guess you can go to MIA and then to Paramaribo with Surinam Airways ( don't know if they still operate the route.)

PY 464, Mondays and Thursdays, via Aruba. Change of planes in Aruba, though, as they have Falcon Air operate the MIA-AUA portion and they operate the AUA-PBM section themselves, a result of Surinam being Category II and their planes being banned from the US. Surinam Airways does really well at MIA, but needs the Aruba stop to fill the plane, as traffic between the US and Surinam is still minimal.
a.

FlySSC

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:13 pm

Well, you can fly PHL-CDG, have fun in Paris for a few days, and then fly ORY-CAY ...

More seriously, instead of a transit in MIA, it is probably possible to fly from the U.S to PTP or FDF, and from there, to take one of the daily flights to CAY.

anair80

Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:45 am

From what i read in the Surinam news paper last week is that SLM will be cancelling the PBM-AUA-MIA route and instead fly PBM-MBJ-MIA starting April 2nd 2006.
They will codeshare with Air Jamaica now.
So, SLM on PBM-MBJ-PBM and then Air Jamaica MBJ-MIA/JFK/ATL and where ever else they fly.
Not sure how this one is going to work out though and if they are indeed going to start the service soon.
Good luck!

sw733

Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:58 am

Are there any South American or Central American airlines that fly into Cayenne?

MAH4546

Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:42 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 7):
More seriously, instead of a transit in MIA, it is probably possible to fly from the U.S to PTP or FDF, and from there, to take one of the daily flights to CAY.

The only service between the mainland United States and PTP and FDF is the same exact Air France island hopper flight, MIA-PAP-PTP-FDF-CAY.

American Eagle does fly from SJU to PTP and FDF, but it would take just as long as the Air France island hopper.
a.