Owleye

Tupolev Brand Symbol: What Does It Tell Us?

Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:38 am

The brand symbol (logo) of Tupolev is here depicted on the nose of Tupolev's 334. What does it tell us? What text is it exactly? Is it cyrillic 'Ty' for 'Tu' or is it something else?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gary Chambers

RedChili

RE: Tupolev Brand Symbol: What Does It Tell Us?

Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:11 am

Quoting OwlEye (Thread starter):
Is it cyrillic 'Ty' for 'Tu' or is it something else?

Correct, it's "Tu."
Top 10 airplanes: B737, T154, B747, IL96, T134, IL62, A320, MD80, B757, DC10

TransAmerican

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:29 am

This may well sound like a pretty stupid question, but I just wanted to clarify something in my own mind. On television, and in person, I have heard "Tupolev" pronounced in various ways, and I just wanted to confirm the correct pronunciation for it. Of the most common forms that I have heard, is it:

a) "tew-po-lev"
b) "tup-o-lev"
c) "tew-po-lov"
d) "too-po-lov"

or none of the above. Yes, rather an odd enquiry, but it's one of those things that's been sitting at the back of my mind for years now, and I think it's probably a good idea to get it sorted once and for all in my brain before it slowly drives me insane.

Thanks in advance.
Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die today.

sovietjet

Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:00 pm

It's actually

tuu-po-lev

Buyantukhaa

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 3):
It's actually

tuu-po-lev

Shouldn't it be "Tuu-po-lyev"? As the "e" sign is pronounced as "ye" in Russian.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

delyan

Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:50 am

T=T (in Latin and Cyrilic)
Y=U (Y in Cyrilic is U in Latin)

ChicagoFlyer

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:23 am

Here are my  twocents 

First of all, the "T" on the nose is a little unusual with the three stems. If you write Cyrillic in cursive, it is written this way, but to me (and granted I have not seen many logos of Russian companies) it is unusual on a logo, I would have expected a regular "T" not a "ITI" version. Not that anyone who reads Russian would be confused.

Second as far as "e" vs "ye" goes, we are getting into the limits of transliterating cyrillic with Latin letters  sigh . The standalone Russian "e" is indeed pronouced "ye". But when following a consonant, it is pronounced "e", but the consonant itself changes its own sound, thus becoming "softer", a l' vs l sound so to speak. But "lev" does not become "lyev"!

so if I were to tranliterate "Tupolev" in Latin letters it would be

TOO-po-lev

and if you really want to to sound Russian, soften the "l" sound.

Buyantukhaa

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting ChicagoFlyer (Reply 6):
Second as far as "e" vs "ye" goes, we are getting into the limits of transliterating cyrillic with Latin letters . The standalone Russian "e" is indeed pronouced "ye". But when following a consonant, it is pronounced "e", but the consonant itself changes its own sound, thus becoming "softer", a l' vs l sound so to speak. But "lev" does not become "lyev"!

OK, makes sense! So just "add" a soft sign (merkiy znak).
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

tu204

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:16 am

Too-po-lyev  Smile (frequently pronounced as "Too-pa-lyev" since the "o" and "a" sounds are similar, for ex. "cow" is written "korova" but pronounced "karova", "Moskva" (Moscow) but pronounced "Maskva") Russian is a complicated language  Wink
The brand symbol is not that bad - it has been around since the the 1950's, but back then it was red, now it is blueish letters on white backround or "negative" (white letters on bluish backround)
In any case, I think it beats the Sukhoi brand symbol www.sukhoi.org/eng
MiG's isn't that bad though...couldn't find a better pic of it - quite small, top left corner www.migavia.ru/eng
Illyushin does not have a real logo.
I vote for MiG as having the best logo  Wink
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Owleye

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:50 am

Tu204, I disagree about your comment that Ilyushin doesn't have a logo:

http://www.ilyushin.org/

tu204

Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting OwlEye (Reply 9):
Tu204, I disagree about your comment that Ilyushin doesn't have a logo:

My bad  ashamed  Thats not a bad logo either (to me it resembles MiG's). The reason that I thought they did not have one is because they do not paint it on their hangar and I have not seen even one of their planes with their logo.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov