jacobin777

Randy Baseler Takes A Quote From A.net

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:54 am

Many people on the A.net quotes Baseler, Leahy, etc....this time however, not only does Boeing's Baseler mention A.net, he actually takes a quote from it.......yes, we know that there is a chance that Baseler has bevy of people doing his media work for him..but regardless......

we're making some sort of difference people... bigthumbsup ...

Fair use excerpt...

"Now, in one key way, I think this all accomplished something interesting. It got a robust discussion going. Airliners.net has had quite a few posts on the subject.

And some of the people posting to that site caught on to another key point I was trying to make: that schedule reliability can be a much higher decision factor from a passenger point of view than a minor difference in cabin width.

One participant in the Airliners forum, after flying an A319 and then getting on a 737, conceded there may be a slight difference in width, but concurred with the fact that the A320 family has more technical delays:

"Our A319 flight was delayed over 1/2hr when we had to shut down the engines and reset the computers because of what the pilot called "a slight computer glitch." Our 733 left right on time. Ok, sure, that's just one time, but in my 100,000 miles a year of flying over the past 2 1/2 years, I've only had one delay on a 737 aircraft based on mechanical problems, and that was a microphone in the pilots emergency oxygen mask was not working properly. It was fixed within 20 minutes. They're a very reliable aircraft.""

rest of the article/info at...

http://www.boeing.com/randy/

By the way, does anyone know who's quote was taken??
"Up the Irons!"

eatmybologna

RE: Randy Baseler Takes A Quote From A.net

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:08 am

This makes me wonder if Randy, or even Leahy for that matter, are actual members on Anet. Why not? Anet is a good source of feedback.

Regards,

e-m-b
Isn't knowledge more than just the acquisition of information? Shouldn't the acquired information be correct?

jacobin777

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting Eatmybologna (Reply 1):
This makes me wonder if Randy, or even Leahy for that matter, are actual members on Anet. Why not? Anet is a good source of feedback.

lol..I still think it would be a scary tought.....but I hope A.netters are making a difference.... Smile
"Up the Irons!"

nirvarma

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:12 am

I remember reading it and I believe it was Fanoftristars'

zeke

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:53 am

I think a lot of what they write is prepared for them by assistants, I am sure some of them read internet forums. I personally think his blog is written and maintained by the Boeing PR machine, politicians do the same.

I know our airline and others have people reading this forum and others for posts which have legal implications for the airline, anything from copyright, breech of privacy, deformation, bringing the airline name into disrepute. I don't see why no other large business would not do the same.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

jacobin777

Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 4):
I know our airline and others have people reading this forum and others for posts which have legal implications for the airline, anything from copyright, breech of privacy, deformation, bringing the airline name into disrepute. I don't see why no other large business would not do the same.

what airlines do you work for Zeke?
"Up the Irons!"

IFEMaster

Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:18 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 4):
deformation, bringing the airline name into disrepute

That's laughable. It's an Internet forum. What could UA do, for example, if they read that I think they're the worst airline allowed to operate, and I pay extra to avoid flying them if I can? Nothing; it's an Internet forum.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Motorhussy

Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:29 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 5):
breech of privacy, deformation, bringing the airline name into disrepute.

I think that could have been defamation that you were really looking for.

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

jacobin777

Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 7):
Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 5):
breech of privacy, deformation, bringing the airline name into disrepute.

I think that could have been defamation that you were really looking for.

ummmm...I didn't say that......you got the wrong quote..... Wink
"Up the Irons!"

searpqx

Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:44 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 6):
That's laughable. It's an Internet forum. What could UA do, for example, if they read that I think they're the worst airline allowed to operate, and I pay extra to avoid flying them if I can? Nothing; it's an Internet forum.

You're correct, but if you start posting that UA hires uncertified mechanics and falsifies paperwork to cover it, you'd be pushing dangerously close to libel. To be honest though, I think you'd have to be pretty aggressive with that type of stuff before they paid any notice. The more serious issue is release of confidential information. I've seen lots of stuff posted on here that would make Corp Security blue in the face, from load figures to pax info.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

zeke

Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:56 pm

What could UA do, for example, if they read that I think they're the worst airline allowed to operate, and I pay extra to avoid flying them if I can?

Customers can say what they like within reason, employees not so. Most employment contracts have clauses to cover this.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

glacote

Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:31 pm

You don't back up statistics with a few examples - let alone from Internet forae.

Randy's team used to spin better...

Leskova

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:09 pm

Sorry, but whatever respect I may have had for Mr. Baseler just went out the window.

I'm aware that this blog is supposed to look as if it was his personal opinion and not simply PR work for Boeing (and I shudder at the thought that some might actually think it's anything beyond PR), but this is even more ridiculous than the original remarks were; and trying to prove his myth that A320s are much less reliable than B737s with that? Please...

Seems Randy was upset that Leahy had him beat with moronic statements for quite a while now, because he's doing more than his best to catch up.

I really think Boeing should rethink this blog - because they're really making themselves look like fools.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

ikramerica

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:27 pm

Quoting Leskova (Reply 12):
Sorry, but whatever respect I may have had for Mr. Baseler just went out the window.

Yeah, that was pretty lame.

Just like the whole "composite" claims by airbus, claiming the older technology is superior until, of course, you use it yourself.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

jacobin777

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Seems Randy was upset that Leahy had him beat with moronic statements for quite a while now, because he's doing more than his best to catch up.

there is a BIG difference between Leahy and Baseler however..... Leahy is Airbus' ace salesman....if he starts yapping off to air carriers about Airbus planes, and they don't come true as his claims are (ie.-not living up to its promises-aka the A340's and the "fuel rebates"), then it reflects big time on Airbus' credibility, where as when Baseler yaps off, it really doesn't make as much of a difference....yes he's vice-president of marketing, but he's not Boeing's top salesman.....big difference.....
"Up the Irons!"

andessmf

Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:29 pm

Oh c'mon guys, I remember that discussion!!

Jeez, I'm really excited that there could be the chance that industry people are actually reading our posts!!!

Lets all be happy about that!!

HBDAN

Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 15):
Jeez, I'm really excited that there could be the chance that industry people are actually reading our posts!!!

Lets all be happy about that!!

Greeting to all A.netters and above all to all the A.net staff, you guys are doing a great job!

Regards,
HBDAN
Next flight: hopefully soon...

UA772IAD

Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:39 pm

I agree that is sort of lame, and a low blow. But that's business, that's competition, and Airbus certainly isn't innocent either. I can't remember the incident specifically, but I do remember reading about how Airbus totally went overboard at the Farnborough Air Show, around the time of the 777 debut. I remember hearing about how they drove investors and potential customers crazy- by basically flaming Boeing and repeating an Airbus motto (maybe it was the 4 is better than 2, for the A340?) Indirectly, I'm sure that event made the 777 the favorite, that year.
Needless to say, BOTH companies are guilty of taking low blows.

Althought it is cool to see that we are actually acknowledged (in the industry)! Congrads to everyone for that accomplishment. Let's hope he's not sharing that is true statistical data with the development team

[Edited 2006-03-15 08:49:09]

Kangar

Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:46 pm

I'm pretty worrried if Randy's needs to look to Airliners.net to find arguments for the 737 vs. the A320. I also find it hard to believe he's quoting anecdotal information from one person's experience to back up his argument instead of giving hard numbers.

astuteman

Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:05 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Thread starter):
And some of the people posting to that site caught on to another key point I was trying to make: that schedule reliability can be a much higher decision factor from a passenger point of view than a minor difference in cabin width.

He said that?!!!
Wow - how to blow one of your supposed key 787 selling points in one easy sentence. Sort of puts to bed the endless discussions we've had on A-net.
Mixed messages from Boeing? That comment has to disappoint some A-netters.
Funnily enough, I'm inclined to agree with him.

As for A32x vs 737 reliability - there's more that enough of these flying around for there to be real HARD data regarding dispatch rates etc.
I don't see pulling one anecdotal quote from one A-netter as the best way of demonstrating it.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 14):
there is a BIG difference between Leahy and Baseler however..... Leahy is Airbus' ace salesman

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 14):
yes he's vice-president of marketing, but he's not Boeing's top salesman.....big difference.....

I'm curious Jacobin. Baseler is THE most quoted Boeing representative on A-net. When he is quoted, his quotes are given the utmost importance by those that quote him.
He's usually the one sparring with Leahy, so irrespective of his ttle or whatever, I'd consider him to be of equal importance.

His blogs are never "just blogs" when he says what the Anti-Airbus brigade want to hear......

Tifoso

Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:12 pm

Quoting Astuteman (Reply 19):
Wow - how to blow one of your supposed key 787 selling points in one easy sentence. Sort of puts to bed the endless discussions we've had on A-net.

Don't get too excited. Look at this statement in the beginning of his post:

Quoting Randy Baseler]
And that on short-range flights, most people are more concerned about their fare and schedule.
[/QUOTE]

[quote=Astuteman
(Reply 19):
As for A32x vs 737 reliability - there's more that enough of these flying around for there to be real HARD data regarding dispatch rates etc.
I don't see pulling one anecdotal quote from one A-netter as the best way of demonstrating it.

It is not about showing who is better based on statistics, but trying to pull a customer's perspective on the issue. Numbers are not as "cool" as personal experiences.

FanOfTriStars, congratulations on getting quoted. Did they contact you before including your post on the Boeing blog? :thumbup:

leelaw

Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:58 pm

You'd think all members would be gratified by the "homage" to a.net from a bonafide industry insider and celebrity.

I find it ironic and amusing that members of this forum who spend considerable time and effort trying to prove their erudition and insight on any number of subjects in these threads, are quick to dismiss what's going here as unimportant, irrelevant, and not worthy of comment elsewhere in order to reinforce their own biases when necessary.
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

vfw614

Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:15 pm

that schedule reliability can be a much higher decision factor from a passenger point of view than a minor difference in cabin width.

Apart from the fact that there is quite a difference between empirical reasearch and the experience of one a.net-member, does not cabin width directly has to do with the manufacturer and his design concept, while "schedule reliability" has much more to do with operations of and maintenance by the airlines, engines that could just as well be bolted under the competitor's wings and the quality of suppliers that quite often serve companies ?

And please, neither is Santa is riding as sleigh nor is Randy writing his blog in person.....

slz396

Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:49 pm

First of all, it sounds really stupid for a man like Baseler to have to take anecdotal quotes to proof his point. I'd reckon there is enough statistical data around to compare dispatch reliability of the 737 vs the A320 not to have to use this kind of low class arguments, unless of course it is to 'proof' something which statistics won't, simply because it isn't true???

Anyway, I imagine this blog of Baseler to be written not by him personally, but by some junior employee of his PR-department, probably after an idea from this yuppie ghostwriter too.

Which makes me wonder:

Is A.net infiltrated by yuppie members from the Boeing PR-departement?

As a long time daily reader on this forum, I can't help but happen to see a significant surge of pro-Boeing topics on this forum recently. Threads which do very little more than praise all that B does lately and bash whatever response A gives to this. I know this forum has had those kind of topics in the past too, but nowadays, you can see tons of them every single day! Either the minds have grown further apart on this forum, or somebody has been stirring things up a bit here....
And what to think about the endless stream of threads started from quotes from various airline CEO's showing their apparent interest in Boeing planes? I think it is a safe bet to say every serious airline is looking into the new models of BOTH manufacturers regularly, yet for one reason or the other, some members need to share with us the 'great interest' of BA, LH or whatever other big fish of the day in the 787, 737NG or 747-8, etc.... giving the impression the whole world is about to buy B planes only.

Is it too much of a wild idea to imagine a PR-departement, which sets up a blog dedicated to the surfing aviation enthusiasts, to also target the same group through public forums in order to win their harts and minds without them noticing?

Fact is that the Baseler's ghostwriter spends time on this very forum to actually read individual replies, so -and I guess you all know what I am talking about- would need to have an extremely though self-discipline NOT to react to them.

Shall we open up a contest to unmask the person(s)?
Any suggestions as to which A.net members might be writing their posts from a computer at the Boeing PR department?

[Edited 2006-03-15 11:58:55]

NumberTwelve

Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:55 pm

One participant in the Airliners forum, after flying an A319 and then getting on a 737, conceded there may be a slight difference in width, but concurred with the fact that the A320 family has more technical delays:

OMG, sorry, but how reliable is such a source? Baseler really informs people about what an a.netter is writing? Such as: the sister from a friend of mine is having a baby. Baby's godfather flew with a Tristar 25 years ago and was complaining about the loud engines?

Sorry, but how deep can a person fall to use such sources???
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

Glareskin

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:01 pm

or even Leahy for that matter, are actual members on Anet. Why not?

So tell me Keesje, is your last name Leahy???
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

leelaw

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:04 pm

Quoting Slz396 (Reply 28):
Is it too much of a wild idea to imagine a PR-departement, which sets up a blog dedicated to the surfing aviation enthusiasts, to also target the same group through public forums in order to win their harts and minds without them noticing?

Gee, sounds like winning the hearts and minds of aviation enthusiasts via web blogs and discussion forums must be a strategic necessity and profitable enterprise...Boeing must be pouring millions into it?

[Edited 2006-03-15 12:16:08]
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

slz396

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:21 pm

Quite on the contrary!

a low cost hidden PR campaign, to win harts and minds over without them noticing, wouldn't that be the wet dream of ANY PR department?

They'd might be able to achieve the same level of 'mind infiltration' by having one guy post factually biased insight knowledge about Boeing's achievements on a well known public discussion forum iso having to spend millions to get the same message across through advertisements, mailing campaigns, tv ads and airshow exhibits, because A.net is known to be visited not only by amateur enthusiasts, but also by guys who write for aviation magazines (in search of easy background info) and professionals alike.

Imagine the success they could have if they manage to influence the writing or even more so the decision making of any such person. The last two groups are often very difficult to 'work' if they know they are being worked, but when they might be caught off guard, at home, thinking to be talking to just another dude at the other end of the planet giving his 2 cents which seems very reasonable and well thought, they might be more easier convinced than ever before.

Smells very fishy!

leelaw

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Quoting Slz396 (Reply 33):
a low cost hidden PR campaign, to win harts and minds over without them noticing, wouldn't that be the wet dream of ANY PR department?

OMG, you are serious.

John Leahy better get his own web blog up and organize a discussion forum infiltration operation ASAP before a "serious web blog gap" develops!
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

Glareskin

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:49 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 35):
why on earth would they care what some spotty, hormonal 14 year old from Virginia thinks of the relative merits of the 777-300ER over the A340-600?

Chris, I agree with the big picture your painting here. But if you put it this way you might considering to stop with this forum.... By the way: your posts are very good for a 14 year old! Big grin

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:54 pm

Quoting Glareskin (Reply 36):
why on earth would they care what some spotty, hormonal 14 year old from Virginia thinks of the relative merits of the 777-300ER over the A340-600?

Chris, I agree with the big picture your painting here. But if you put it this way you might considering to stop with this forum.... By the way: your posts are very good for a 14 year old

LOL i'm not spotty, 14, or from Virginia. I'm not even an interested amateur - more of a bored and disinterested professional.

I'm certainly hormonal though!!
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

cornish

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:59 pm

-net is:

75% American teenage boys with a hard-on for Boeing heavy metal.

15% Everyone else with a hard-on for Airbus heavy metal.

10% Knowledgeable industry professionals who come on here for amusement.

checkmark 

Baseler's quote aside, I SERIOUSLY doubt Boeing (Or Airbus) has the slightest interest in anything said on here, on account of the fact that this site has no credibility whatsoever due to the amount of bitching, backbiting, and bias that goes on. Most people on here dont know enough to be called anything more than interested amateurs, and interested amateurs are not Boeing's target market, so why on earth would they care what some spotty, hormonal 14 year old from Virginia thinks of the relative merits of the 777-300ER over the A340-600?

Simple answer - they dont.

Absolutely correct - anyone on here convinces themselves otherwise that A.net plays an important part in the industry is deluding themselves.

Yes there are some industry people like us having a read and talking about things as enthusiasts. But if you really think that the big hitters in places like Seattle or Toulouse are reading things here - junior employees maybe, but no-one in any positions of serious business responsibility.

Its a hobby site - and getting more so by the minute it seems  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

HBDAN

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:04 pm

Ok, speaking to

10% Knowledgeable industry professionals who come on here for amusement

tell me you never ever have used A.net for any information related to your business...

I see what you mean, but there are better ways to say your opinion than some used here.

Regards,
HBDAN

BestWestern

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:11 pm

Quoting HBDAN (Reply 41):
but there are better ways to say your opinion than some used here

We had six weeks of no inane AvsB threads. Last week they start back up again.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:37 pm

Imagine how f**ked the industry would be if A-net DID play an important part?

That would be me out of a job for one thing! And you Cornish!

The whole of Arizona, Nevada, and large parts of Utah covered with Airbus A340s.

Delta bring back all their MD11s from storage, and re-engine their 777s with good old American GE90s.

American scrap all their A300s "because they suck" and cause massive damage to a 763ER at in Puerto Rico trying to fit two LD3s side by side in the cargo bay.

Northwest are allowed to emerge from bankruptcy only when they have gotten rid of all their A330s.

Lufthansa's entire long-haul fleet is grounded. Their A340 fleet is sent to the desert and the remaining 744s are given PTVs.

BA buy 200 747-800s.

Boeing re-start the MD11 line.

Singapore Airlines stage a spectacular A340-500 burning ceremony at Changi in front of the world's media, where their entire ULH fleet is torched, and the fleet managers who bought them publicly caned as an indication of the airline's severe unimpressed-ness with the Airbuses.

The entire QF fleet is painted in Nalanji or Wunala dreaming colours.

Aer Lingus, Air Tahiti Nui, Easyjet, Sri Lankan, Indian Airlines, and SN Brussels are grounded until some Boeings can be found.

United's 757s get winglets.

Virgin publicly apologise to the public and their shareholders over the "4 engines 4 long-haul" thing, and buy a load of 777s.

Emirates are banned from flying anywhere until they tell everyone exactly what they plan to do with all those A380s.

Air France ditch the A318 "because they are extremely ugly and cost nearly as much to run as an A340, which is a lot" and buy some 737-600s instead.

A special one-man A-net council is set up to judge and rate British charter airlines. The member, as yet unnamed, is said to be unexcited about it. "Its not like it used to be" he stated.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:39 pm

...and Northwest finally retire their DC9s.

jonathan-l

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:41 pm

... and Peter Max draws a crowd even larger than U2.

sabenapilot

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:52 pm

CHRISBA777ER, that was hilarious, thank you!

especially:

American scrapping all their A300s "because they suck" and cause massive damage to a 763ER in Puerto Rico trying to fit two LD3s side by side in the cargo bay.

BTW: you know you'll be flamed for daring to attack that marvelous 767, do you!? Some here don't even want to admit the 767 was prematurely finished off by the A330, so your unkind words on the 767 might be totally unbearable for them!

and:

Singapore Airlines stages a spectacular A340-500 burning ceremony at Changi in front of the world's media, where their entire ULH fleet is torched, and the fleet managers who bought them publicly caned as an indication of the airline's severe unimpressed-ness with the Airbuses.

Mind you, better say it was a joke, or next hing you see is a quote from your post in the Baseler blog, indicating just how fed up 'average travelers' are with Airbus!

[Edited 2006-03-15 14:00:33]

HBDAN

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:53 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 43):

... and aviation industry loses money also without A. net!
 Yeah sure

Glareskin

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:15 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 42):
We had six weeks of no inane AvsB threads.

Yeah, but that was boring.

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 37):
I'm certainly hormonal though!!

Yes, spring is in the air. And as a response to your later post I would like to recall my advise to look for another hobby! Welcome to my RU list.

tigerotor77w

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:19 pm

That would be me out of a job for one thing! And you Cornish!

Good to see that this board has retained its sense of humor...

But for the people who are pointing fingers left and right, cut yourself some slack. Every single time either Leahy or Baseler's name is mentioned here, a shouting match erupts. I'm not supporting or thinking highly of Baseler's actions, or how he's leading his campaigns, but look at it from his angle: his blog is directed at the aviation enthusiasts, many of whom reside here. He's showing that he cares about the voice of the customer, and there's not much of a better way to hint that without blatantly showing himself here (imagine the horror of doing that!) than to give a shout-out on his blog.

I seriously doubt customers take his blog into account. Some of them probably found the comment about the A319 funny, or even just uncharacteristic of the A32x line. But I also doubt that AF is going to throw up its arms and declare all its 777 line useless now that Baseler took a stance against Airbus. So just try to keep it down when getting all worked up about a comment by an industry professional -- celebrity or not. (Do realize that "celebrity" doesn't have to imply that the person is well-liked -- certainly there are celebrities who aren't well liked, but there's no polite better name to give them.)

And for the Boeing cheerleaders, myself included, sometimes you do need a shot in the arm so to speak. Boeing isn't infalliable; neither are its products. Don't get worked into a tizzy simply because a Boeing official quoted a source online. For all you know, if the Boeing PR deptartment conspiracy is true, a Boeing PR person could have written it himeself!  duck 

cornish

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:23 pm

rotfl 

You forgot to add that Ryanair and Southwest would be out of business for not flying where anyone wants to go and their product is too cheap.

Delta and Northwest would start flying to Heathrow without the realisation that they actually couldn't under Bermuda II.

All UK charter airlines would go back to operating 757s - no matter how old and high mileage they are.

All A340-600s operators hold a joint press conference to announce how disastisfied they are with the A346 and they'll only buy Boeing products from now on.

The A380's ugliness means that no-one else orders it and exisiting customers backtrack rapidly when they see it in the metal.

Still on the plus side Bmi will start making some logical business decisions  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

sabenapilot

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:30 pm

Although I can't see a real pattern like some do, I must say my fellow countryman has a point here:

Fact is that the Baseler's ghostwriter spends time on this very forum to actually read individual replies, so -and I guess you all know what I am talking about- would need to have an extremely though self-discipline NOT to react to them.

Meaning some replies to A vs B topics might indeed be posted by somebody working for the Boeing PR department, even if done AFTER his/her/their office hours... Somehow I am not surprised by this.

[Edited 2006-03-15 14:31:43]

kaneporta1

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:37 pm

And don't forget that the A380's wake vortices will rip whole countries apart and ICAO will impose a worldwide grounding of anything flying each time a A380 takes off. That's until the wings snap off...

...also, all engines from those A340-2/300s parked in UT and AZ are removed from the wings and sold to Phillips to be converted to hair dryers.

And finally, AF paints all of the fleet black so no one will notice just how dirty the aircraft are.

[Edited 2006-03-15 14:43:43]
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

DAYflyer

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:57 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 13):

Yeah, that was pretty lame.

Just like the whole "composite" claims by airbus, claiming the older technology is superior until, of course, you use it yourself.

Excellent retort. Touche!!
One Nation Under God

jacobin777

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:04 pm

Quoting Astuteman (Reply 19):
I'm curious Jacobin. Baseler is THE most quoted Boeing representative on A-net. When he is quoted, his quotes are given the utmost importance by those that quote him.
He's usually the one sparring with Leahy, so irrespective of his ttle or whatever, I'd consider him to be of equal importance.

hey, u're entitled to your opinion mate but those are the facts..regardless of your opinion..

not to mention....I was only quoting because its was cool that us A.netters got mentioned.....

by the way, it wasn't my quote you mentioned...

Quoting Tifoso (Reply 20):
It is not about showing who is better based on statistics, but trying to pull a customer's perspective on the issue. Numbers are not as "cool" as personal experiences.

exactly.. checkmark 

Quoting Vfw614 (Reply 23):
And please, neither is Santa is riding as sleigh nor is Randy writing his blog in person.....

isn't that what I said, but by being on his blog, it is endorsed...

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 24):
But, hes a celebrity. we must adore him, and have his children.

sarcastic 

First of all, it sounds really stupid for a man like Baseler to have to take anecdotal quotes to proof his point. I'd reckon there is enough statistical data around to compare dispatch reliability of the 737 vs the A320 not to have to use this kind of low class arguments, unless of course it is to 'proof' something which statistics won't, simply because it isn't true???

there is nothing "stupid" about it.....it seems more of an acknowledgement that there is an very enthusiastic aviation community....

Quoting Tigerotor77W (Reply 49):
But for the people who are pointing fingers left and right, cut yourself some slack. Every single time either Leahy or Baseler's name is mentioned here, a shouting match erupts. I'm not supporting or thinking highly of Baseler's actions, or how he's leading his campaigns, but look at it from his angle: his blog is directed at the aviation enthusiasts, many of whom reside here. He's showing that he cares about the voice of the customer, and there's not much of a better way to hint that without blatantly showing himself here (imagine the horror of doing that!) than to give a shout-out on his blog.

I know, what's the fuss?  confused .......some people (no names needed) here are behaving as if he called their mamma a two-cent whore....

calm down people....it was supposed to be something of fun..

just goes to show how much A.net had degraded... Sad
"Up the Irons!"

columba

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:17 pm

Please consider for whom Mr.Basler or his staff is writing, in this blog:
I guess it is mostly aviation enthusiasts or maybe journalists who try to get some information from Boeing who read this blog.
No airline executive would make fleet decisions based on it, or just because a member of an aviation forum has the subjective feeling that the 737 is not having so many technical delays than its competitioner.
They are having other sources as Randy�s blog or a.net. I do agree that airlines are checking aviation forums to see what people write about their airline and their product.
But back to Randy�s blog:
Since it is mostly written for aviation enthusiasts, they will surely search the world�s biggest aviation forum to see what people are writing there and get some ideas for their blog.
This blog is a marketing gag -not for people who buy the planes-but for people who buy tickets from the customer who flies these planes.

I would not take it so seriously -but anyway it is always nice being mentioned so I can understand why this part of Randy´s blog has been posted here. But again, the words in this blog are not as gold as many people put it. Same goes for Mr.Leahy´s words.....

Mr Baseler or his staff or whoever is writing that blog can write what he/they want(s) about the A320 family. Fact is, despite that it still selling very well with the airlines. Even with low cost airlines, where many people before said that the 737 is much better suited for - and for low cost airlines the slogan "time is money" is much more important than for a legacy carrier.
So technical delays does not seem not to be such a big problem with the Airbus A320 family. Last year the A320 family has outselled the 737.

Besides schedule reliability as Mr. Basler puts it is not always an indicator of the reliabilty of the aircraft but of the airline who operates it.

Also a fact is that the A320 family is Boeing�s biggest problem out of the Airbus procuction line, while Airbus is having a much bigger problem with the 777 and maybe with the 787. This is not based on web blogs or aviation forums but on a look of the number of aircrafts being order and aircrafts being ordered from the competitioner.

[Edited 2006-03-15 15:21:05]
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

jgold47

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:19 pm

They are also looking for violations of non-disclousre agreements, insider trading information etc... A company I used to work for sucessfully sued Yahoo to get them to release information about a poster on web board who either violated a NDA or said something that was 'insider' and they needed to investigate it

mrcomet

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:22 pm

Yes, and there would be some other decisions if Airbus fans were in charge including:

-The EC would finally pass a law mandating that all Eastern European and Balkan countries would be mandated to buy Airbus products as a precursor to acceptance into the EU.

- The UN would agree to build six massive airport hubs so that airline traffic is finally organized in a rational way. Airlines would bid up the prices of A380s and Airbus would set a record for widebodies sold.

-Airlines would finally figure out the A300 still makes sense and they'd buy a couple of hundred

- A new ETOPS would be worked out mandating that any plane flying over oceans, lakes, streams and really big rivers should have four engines.

- Southwest and Ryanair managers would finally be convinced that extra few inches makes a big difference and would start phasing out 737s for A320s

- Airbus would start working on an A390 that included a third floor. The plane would be made completely out of Glare

- Airbus would finally prove to people how a smaller, heavier jet can hold more, get more range, cost less and burn less fuel.

- People around the world will start to care so much about new airline liverys that the "Airline Livery Show" would debut on BBC2 (okay....that's A.netters).
The dude abides

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting Tifoso (Reply 55):
Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 54):
'Fraid not buddy.

Just because i'm European doesnt mean i'm biased towards Airbus. Tough concept for some Americans to grasp I know, but its the truth.

Just because i'm American doesnt mean i'm biased towards Boeing. Tough concept for some Europeans to grasp I know, but its the truth.

Your generalizations were quite wrong and unnecessary.

Regards

PS: My post was directed more towards BestWestern, not you

Who's generalising? You brought it up by suggesting i was biased - not me.

Anyway - if you want to talk to BestWestern - quote him, not me.