boeingfever777

UA Or NW To Asia?

Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:29 pm

Juat wondering who flys to Asia/Far East more? Was looking at going there for a vacation in July. Does either one fly to PEK? Was looking at maybe j-class or shoud I look for another carrier?

thanks,
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

MarshalN

RE: UA Or NW To Asia?

Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:34 pm

If you can fly with an Asian carrier, I'd go that route, although PEK options are somewhat limited. Where are you flying from?

phuebner

Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:34 pm

I have flown both NW and UA to Tokyo several times. I recommend NW because it was a more pleasant trip. The F/A's were nice and pleasant and the flight was comfortable. The F/A on my UA flight forever tainted my opinion of UA. She was rude and hateful. I'm a pretty quiet guy and keep to myself on flights but she was way over the top. I had to find her to give her my dirty dishes because she left them there for about 2 hours when everybody elses was picked up. I found her yapping her gums with the other F/A's and she looked at me agast that I would do such a thing like asking her to do her job. That was not the only incident but certainly the most memorable.
Remember this, Your Body is a temple Not a pull toy!

LAXintl

Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:37 pm

United flies nonstop to PEK daily from both ORD and SFO.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Carfield

Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:38 pm

NW is definitely better in terms of meals (I like the new Japanese meal), seats, and entertainment system. (Except if you are flying from LAX or GUM or some HNL flights, which feature the old 747-200 with old seats)...

UA is fine too and the seats are okay too, but no fancy meal/entertainment system...

If you don't fly going through YVR, AC's ExecutiveFirst will be my first choice, out of all N American carriers. Almost forget, Continental also flies from EWR to PEK now. CO's Businessfirst will be good too, if you are from the East Coast.

Carfield

orlando666

Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:28 pm

If you prefer a US Carrier: CO ex-EWR

Otherwise, to be sure of service use an Asian carrier (JL, OZ, KE, BR, CI, NH). Although they involve a transfer of course, NW also has 1 aircraft change (think its NRT) and UA is non-stop from ORD only. So you will have to change or transfer 1 time.

To be sure of poor/inconsistant service use Air China.

Overall: I think go with CO ex-EWR from East Coast or an Asian carrier from West Coast.

boeingfever777

Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:48 pm

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 1):
Where are you flying from?

I reside in AUS... does not matter, IAH, LAX, SFO, EWR, or JFK.

Quoting Phuebner (Reply 2):
recommend NW because it was a more pleasant trip.

No offesnse! I flew NW once 2003/06... they suck! 7hr delay. I will never fly them domestic again. How is there Intl. service?

Quoting Carfield (Reply 4):
Continental also flies from EWR to PEK now. CO's Businessfirst will be good too, if you are from the East Coast.

:D Always willing to fly CO... I'm a skyteam member and 90% of the time fly CO if they offer service to where i'm going.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

fxramper

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:04 pm

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 6):

:D Always willing to fly CO... I'm a skyteam member and 90% of the time fly CO if they offer service to where i'm going.

im totally there! fly the 757 to IAH and then to EWR. that flight is so long dude...15hrs? EWR-PEK.

CO!!!

planetime

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:47 pm

take an asian carrier if at all possible. If not then CO is the best of American Carriers. But between UA and NW I think UA is better in my flying experience.

vincewy

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:56 pm

Quoting Planetime (Reply 8):
take an asian carrier if at all possible. If not then CO is the best of American Carriers. But between UA and NW I think UA is better in my flying experience.

except CA or MU, which can be worse than NW and UA. Frequent delays, filthy bathrooms (details omitted), complaints fall through deaf's ear, even worse, they now bring in armed PSB to control unruly crowds.

B742

Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:17 am

Here are your options that I would reccomend:

ANA via LAX/SFO & NRT (B777)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ralph Duenas - Airplanespotters

http://intsvc.aspwb.com/contents/English/C/index2_e.html

Asiana via LAX/SFO & ICN (B777)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh Akbar - NYCAviation
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Seixeiro

It all depends whether you want to travel via Tokyo or Seoul, both are easy to transfer in  Smile

I would also reccomend Korean Air, as long as you got the new business class, otherwise I would choose OZ or NH  Smile

Rob!  wave 

phuebner

Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 6):
No offesnse! I flew NW once 2003/06... they suck! 7hr delay. I will never fly them domestic again. How is there Intl. service?

That is what I was talking about, their Int'l service. I only flew them between LAX and Narita or Detroit and Narita.
Remember this, Your Body is a temple Not a pull toy!