Desh
Topic Author

Kennedy Space Center - Runway For Rent

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:08 am

One really long runway for rent -- call NASA

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (AP) -- For rent: 15,000-foot runway. Aircraft hangar included. Affordable. Historic. Scenic Florida location.

That's how a classified advertisement might read if NASA advertised its plan to make some money on the long air strip normally used by space shuttles.

see link for details .....
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/spa...3/15/runway.for.rent.ap/index.html

I am wondering what value does a really long runway provide ? (Unless its an emergency where a long runway could, potentially, be usefull)

Why would anyone pay a premium - the article mentions that they would charge more than "$300 to $700 per flight charged at regular airports" - for a longer runway ?

How realistic is it to depend on space travel to materlize by 2010 ? Yeah - Branson has made the announcement - but its one thing to crunch the numbers and another to make the science actually work.

Why dont they just convert the space center into an airport ? What other airports will they be competing against ?
"History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again." - Kurt Vonnegut

srbmod

RE: Kennedy Space Center - Runway For Rent

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting Desh (Thread starter):
Why dont they just convert the space center into an airport ? What other airports will they be competing against ?

The two nearest airports to KSC with commercial service are MLB and DAB. Plus MCO and SFB aren't too far away either (No more than an hour's drive).

coewr777

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:33 am

Mco is only an hour away. But an airport could work there with all the cruise traffic and the beach

A few daily flights to boston,nyc,washington,chicago,houston,dallas,atlanta could work

srbmod

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting COEWR777 (Reply 2):
But an airport could work there with all the cruise traffic and the beach

A few daily flights to boston,nyc,washington,chicago,houston,dallas,atlanta could work

The Kennedy Space Center sits in between DAB and MLB (Melbourne), both of those airports currently have commerical service.

DAB: ATL ( DL and EV ), EWR ( CO ), IAD ( YV )

MLB: ATL ( DL and EV ), DCA ( OH )

Bobster2

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:53 am

They could convert the KSC runway into a discount parking lot with shuttle busses to nearby airports.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

AADC10

Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:16 am

They must intend to use it only for tests and experimanetal flights. It is not suitable for an airport and it is to humid for aircraft storage. Maybe they can see if an A380 can land on it without brakes. It is still shorter than the 16,000" runway at DEN.

KELPkid

Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:20 am

It'd be cool if it was turned into a public-use airport, I'd love to have that one in my log book... Big grin
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

flyf15

Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 5):
They must intend to use it only for tests and experimanetal flights.

I agree. It won't be used for commercial flights, that wouldn't make sense. It'll be for flights that need a runway that long - aircraft test flights, special projects, etc.

ILOVEA340

Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:19 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a heavily textured runway.
I could have sworn that is is incredibly coarse and that the Shuttle tires must be replaced everyother flight primarily due to the runway (obviously approach speed and angle play a role aswell).

If this is true then obviously we are not talking about commercial flights as that would be incredibly stupid to cut the life of your multithousand dollar tires.

MDorBust

Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting ILOVEA340 (Reply 8):
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a heavily textured runway.

Yes it is a very aggressively grooved runway. Regular service on it would be prohibitively expensive on tires.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ILOVEA340

Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:37 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 9):
Yes it is a very aggressively grooved runway.

yeah... I thought I had heard something like that. Was the idea so slow the orbiter down or to provide better traction in wet weather?