thowman

BMI - Goodbye To MAD

Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:35 am

Well, it's finally happened. I have just seen that BMI are finishing their service to MAD on 26th March.

Since it's introduction in about 4 to 5 years ago (?), I have flown this route about 50 times, half the time in business. They must have spent a fortune on advertising the route - including an expensive TV campaign (remember the restaurant owner in Madrid thanking BMI?) only to desert the service and reduce frequencies, remove premium cabin etc.

No wonder I will be losing my gold DC card next month. BA get all my money nowadays commuting to MAD.

Andy

Summa767

RE: BMI - Goodbye To MAD

Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:45 am

Maybe we will all be saying good bye to BMI soon. They really seem to be in a bad and deseperate shape. very sadly.

[Edited 2006-03-16 16:56:32]

bullpitt

Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:45 am

hi
I think you should know BA and IB get your money  Big grin
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

richardw

Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:08 am

Strange isn't it, Star Alliance airline Spanair has a base at MAD and BD at LHR and they can't organise a twice daily direct service between two important capital citites.

With UX gone from LGW, it leaves the route open for BA/IB and U2.

mhodgson

Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:15 am

I'm suprised it has lasted this long - when they cut frequencies to 1x daily, I thought the remaining flight would have ceased within weeks.

It's a shame the way BD are going - when they can't successfully link two major, European capital cities, both *A hubs, things are really going wrong for them!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

IberiaA319

Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:51 am

In this archived thread

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/2564853

the reason mentioned to axe the route to Madrid was this one, I wonder if this is really true:

PPRune reports today that Bmi have surrendered their Heathrow to Madrid and Linate slots (and routes):

so they can:
1. operate daily services to BOM and RUH/JED
2. allow Qatars additional daily london service

by188b

Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:06 am

well reason 2 is invalid as the CAA have rejected bmi's plan to operate qatars's daily service.
next flights : BD LHR-TXL J, FR SXF-STN Y, SN BRU-LHR Y, MA LHR-BUD Y, BA BUD-LHR J, BA LCY-SNN-JFK J, BA JFK-LHR J, BA

mhodgson

Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:07 am

And seeing as they are already operating the long hauls, it would seem the slots have long been obtained!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

miaskies

Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:44 am

Speaking of BMI... about a week ago I saw a TV Ad for BMI talking about their services to the UK but the catch is the ad was being played in a local channel here in MIAMI... hmmm is this a sign of things to come?
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

Emirates Skies

Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:47 am

Have BA or IB increased capacity and/or frequency since BD reduced the flight to once daily? Do they plan to do so once BD leaves this market? Will JK take up the route? Will U2 step up their frequency?

It's a route I travel on every now and then and I wouldn't like to see a reduction in capacity.
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

StarGoldLHR

Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:44 am

It's about time bmi got creative and started some new interesting routes of their own.

Summers coming and holiday flights are more the fashion, how about opening routes to Gibraltar, Morrocco, Tunis, Malta (EU), Cyprus(EU), Istanbul, BUD, Rome rather than just a few more flights from LHR-AMS, BRU etc which must have about 20 flights a day amongst the regulars by now.

it's about time bmi realised that just because KLM, VLM, BA, Easy, Ryan, Jet2 all fly to AMS they should to.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

GEEZ

Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:23 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 10):
it's about time bmi realised that just because KLM, VLM, BA, Easy, Ryan, Jet2 all fly to AMS they should to.

BMI already fly to AMS.
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it... UNLESS it's a crap AFCAD!

TransAmerican

Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Quoting GEEZ (Reply 11):

BMI already fly to AMS.

I think StarGoldLHR meant that bmi should realise that just because all of those airlines fly to a destination doesn't mean bmi have to as well (I'm just guessing, given what he said elsewhere in his post). Indeed, given the massive competition on many "obvious" routes, I agree with StarGoldLHR that perhaps it's time for bmi to focus on more of the less obvious routes, and make those routes "theirs". Staggering in to already popular routes and trying to compete with an ill-conceived product - and one that often fails to match the standards already set by competitors operating those routes - is not the key to lasting success. I'd like to give credit to bmi for pulling MAD if it wasn't a success for them - but I think we all know they effectively murdered any chance of success on the route when they reduced the frequency to one flight a day in each direction. No use for tourist, businessman or beast.

bmi are making an extremely uncomfortable bed for themselves with each new decision and announcement, and at some point they're going to have to realise that it's time to lie on it - and when that time comes, it's gonna be a pretty painful experience for them. A real shame for an airline that - perhaps inexplicably - still holds a special place in my heart.
Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die today.

globetrekker

Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:21 pm

Ryanair doesn't fly to AMS. They fly STN-EIN.
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

UK_Dispatcher

Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:26 pm

British Midland (as it was at the time) fought to get the MAD, BCN, LIN/MXP & FCO services, criticizing the BA/IB monopoly on the Spanish routes at the time. Now they have dropped all of them just a few years later. With the correct frequencies and codeshares, these really could have worked. Big shame.

LAXintl

Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:28 pm

Quoting Thowman (Thread starter):
Since it's introduction in about 4 to 5 years ago (?), I have flown this route about 50 times,

Similarly, I've also made use of the service on multiple occasions. I believe it started back in 99 or 00.
The continued schedule adjustments/reductions however made the BMI service more and more unappealing as the years went on, while at the same time,Iberia has managed to clean up its act following privatization quite well.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

GBOAF

Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:17 pm

Quoting Emirates Skies (Reply 9):
Have BA or IB increased capacity and/or frequency since BD reduced the flight to once daily? Do they plan to do so once BD leaves this market? Will JK take up the route? Will U2 step up their frequency?

IB are cutting their daily LHR-VLC route from the start of the summer schedule, and replacing it with an additional daily LHR-MAD route.

This should increase the IB LHR-MAD services to 7 daily !
Who cares enough to make the world half as big by flying twice as fast? We care!

richardw

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:04 am

Will IB provide a LHR-VLC service for the America's Cup in Valencia on behalf of Switzerland, next year.

richardw

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:09 am

Will IB provide a LHR-VLC service for the America's Cup in Valencia on behalf of Switzerland, next year.

sevenforeseven

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:10 am

I think BMI will last maybe a year no longer. They need to get into bed with VS and together a airline second to none will be formed.

Humberside

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting GBOAF (Reply 16):
IB are cutting their daily LHR-VLC route from the start of the summer schedule

It is a shame to see VLC loose its LHR service but I guess there is too much low cost competition from LON to VLC
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

AIR MALTA

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:33 am

Quoting Sevenforeseven (Reply 19):
I think BMI will last maybe a year no longer. They need to get into bed with VS and together a airline second to none will be formed.

Nooooooooo... I hop BA will jump and buy them and use the slots better and introduce flights from LHR to the UK regions and transfer more destinations from LGW to LHR... That would be perfect...
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

Humberside

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:07 am

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 21):
Nooooooooo... I hop BA will jump and buy them and use the slots better and introduce flights from LHR to the UK regions and transfer more destinations from LGW to LHR... That would be perfect...

Would never be approved by the competition authorities

jacobin777

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 22):

Would never be approved by the competition authorities

considering BA already controls 40% of the slots @ LHR, I wouldn't be surprised, but LH does control much more slots @ FRA (north of 60% if I can recall)...so one never knows....

10% chance......
"Up the Irons!"

Humberside

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:37 am

Even if the EU competition authroities approved it since as you say LH have a larger percentage of slots at FRA, I doubt the UK authorities (Office of Fair Trading/Competition Commission) would

AIR MALTA

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 24):
Even if the EU competition authroities approved it since as you say LH have a larger percentage of slots at FRA, I doubt the UK authorities (Office of Fair Trading/Competition Commission) would

oh they are stupid... they probably want their airlines to loose ground to the other european ones... please look at AF and LH in their markets... they don't have a local BD or VS at their hubs to bother them!
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

StarGoldLHR

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:37 am

Part of bmi's problem is it's ownership.

SAS / LH restrict bmi expanding into the Star Alliance heartlands (i.e. anywhere north of , south of, or in to Germany... so in the UK there a bit on their own... ok they fly to Hanover.. but thats hardly a "hub" and virtually no connecting business in the UK.

bmi will never have BA style feeder connections at LHR and no feeder connections to LH. Given these restrictions a strategy of being different may be better.. and picking off low competition high fare routes will work better.

Sadly I believe LH/SAS are quite prepared to let bmi wither until Mr Bishop faces the decision to sell his golden share... at the end of the day Mr Bishop and co will run out of money before LH who can afford to let bmi fade for the time being.

Once this happens LH will buy a controling state, sell baby/regional, and I put bets on a LHR Lufthansa base.. at a minimum an increased presence.. and why not.

Consider how LH aquired Swiss.. they refused a few years back, letting BA invest at a lower price than if LH had compted against BA, then knowing Swiss continues to lose money LH showed little interest letting Swiss dwindle a bit more then buy Swiss without competition at an even lower rate...what a bargain.

As for a Virgin buyout.. it wouldnt fit their model. Virgin America, Nigeria, Blue or Express dont connect to Virgin Atlantic.. there all stand alone operations.. another Virgin Budget in Europe just couldnt compete to RyanAir etc and a feeder only operation to Virgin Atlantic would be a massive excess of short haul seats connecting to a finite number of Long Haul flights.

Remeber bmi feed to VS now and try to be a loco at the same time and it's not working !
And if VS believed they could fill an A320 with a connecting load of passengers they would do the flight themselves.

I think bmi see's this downward spiral but there seems little enthusiasm to resist it, yet their destiny is theirs to create, if they want to.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

richardw

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:03 pm

But they are continuing with ALC and PMI, but for how long?

Humberside

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting Richardw (Reply 27):
But they are continuing with ALC and PMI, but for how long?

If you look on the other bmi thread, Palma is the only route with an increase in passengers. Also, bmi have operated LHR-PMI for a few years so will have built up a regular passenger base. I would say both these routes are secure. They dont need to be more than once daily to be successful, unlike business orientated MAD

Richard28

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting Stargoldlhr (Reply 26):
Virgin America, Nigeria, Blue or Express dont connect to Virgin Atlantic

Virgin Atlantic do operate a codeshare on Virgin Blue flights (DJ also codeshare with UA for that matter).

IberiaN

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting GBOAF (Reply 16):
IB are cutting their daily LHR-VLC route from the start of the summer schedule, and replacing it with an additional daily LHR-MAD route.

I'm sorry but that's not true at all, as they are re-introducing the daily flight Valencia-LHR from May, 1st onwards.
Apparently, IB accepted their mistake when cancelling the link after several talks with the Valencian Goverment (IN SPANISH ONLY)

http://www.levante-emv.com/secciones...563&pIdSeccion=8&pNumEjemplar=3094

Regards
Emilio
Has decidido puntualidad, has decidido Iberia ;)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos