DeltaAir
Topic Author

Delta Air Line Pilots Examine Merger Feasibility

Tue Jun 06, 2000 8:55 am

Atlanta, June 5 (Bloomberg) -- Delta Air Lines Inc.'s pilots are examining the feasibility of the third-largest U.S. carrier merging with another airline, the Financial Times said in its online edition, citing a spokeswoman for the pilots. They don't want Delta left out ``if there's going to be only a few major airlines,'' and want the company competitive, the spokeswoman said. Delta said it is ``monitoring the competitive situation,'' the FT reported.

Northwest Airlines Corp. shares fell 1.3 percent today after a record surge Friday, amid signs the carrier is only in the early stages of talks about a purchase by American Airlines parent AMR Corp.

HARTSFIELD

RE: Delta Air Line Pilots Examine Merger Feasibility

Tue Jun 06, 2000 10:42 am

Thanks for the info. I hope Delta merges with Continental

Tue Jun 06, 2000 2:04 pm

I hope Delta does NOT merge with Continental. In my opinion, Continental is the greatest carrier in the United States and doesn't need anybody.

I do work for America West and am looking forward to our operations change, but if they don't, I'd be pretty happy seeing a takeover by Delta... Sorry to say, but I'm sure Delta would utilize the PHX hub quite a bit better and offer a better product to the deserving Phoenix residents, and all of Arizona for that matter.

LAXFlyer

RE: Hartsfield

Tue Jun 06, 2000 9:43 pm

We at Continental...Don't!

ord

Tue Jun 06, 2000 10:48 pm

I love Delta and would love to see them grow, but I don't understand the possible link-up with Continental. Their route systems are so similar that Delta would not be broadening its nationwide/worldwide coverage at all, with the exception of some flights to Latin America.

Somebody please tell me how this combo could make sense. JFK/EWR, CVG/CLE and DFW/IAH are so close to each other. If this ever went through, there would almost certainly be hub closings in CLE and DFW. And Delta would not strengthen itself in key West Coast markets or in Asia.

Since Delta is weak in the Midwest, a merger with Northwest is much more appealing. And they would get the Asia routes also. I'm sick of hearing about American going after Northwest -- Delta shouls get moving on looking at that possibility!