1337Delta764
Topic Author

3 Engine Choices On Future Boeing Aircraft

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:37 am

I do not intend on making a poll, but only to discuss the topic.

Lately, Boeing has been reducing the number of engine choices on their aircraft. For the 787, there are only 2 engine choices, GE or RR. For the 777-200LR, 777-300ER, and 747-8, there is only 1 engine choice, GE. GE really does seem to be Boeing's preferred engine manufacturer. The last aircraft in Boeing's lineup that offered three engine choices were the 777-200A and 777-200ER. Why would Boeing do this? If the 787 were offered with P&W engines, I am pretty sure Northwest would have went with P&W over RR.

What about on future aircraft? Unless GE, RR, or P&W decides to work solo on the engines for Y1/737RS, I think it will be offered with only one or two engine options, most likely CFM and/or IAE. Y3, however, could be a greater chance for three engine manufactuers. For an all-new large aircraft, I am pretty sure airlines would want more than one engine manufacturer.

Any thoughts on this?
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

ikramerica

RE: 3 Engine Choices On Future Boeing Aircraft

Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:13 am

There is nothing preventing PW from coming up with a 787/350 engine in the future. It need only be "pin compatible" to use a computer term, and offer the right mix of thrust and efficiency. Then offer it to airlines and A/B and get it certified.

With the numbers projected for 20 yr 787/350 sales, there's plenty of room for a third engine.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

RE: 3 Engine Choices On Future Boeing Aircraft

Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
There is nothing preventing PW from coming up with a 787/350 engine in the future. It need only be "pin compatible" to use a computer term, and offer the right mix of thrust and efficiency. Then offer it to airlines and A/B and get it certified.

With the numbers projected for 20 yr 787/350 sales, there's plenty of room for a third engine.

So, do you think that Boeing may start offering a third engine in the future, like they did with the 767-300ER? While possible, I don't think it is likely. For the 747-8, it is not possible to add more engine choices as Boeing signed an exclusivity contract with GE. BTW, it is too late for NW for their RR-powered 787s, but if Boeing decides to offer P&W engines on the 787 later, then a second order from NW may be ordered with P&W engines. Also, if Boeing starts offering P&W engines on the 787 and then United chooses to order the 787, they would likely be with P&W engines as United is a loyal P&W customer.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos