JasYHZ
Topic Author

WestJet Employee Flight/Travel Benefits

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:19 am

Hi Everyone,

I was talking to some WS employees the other day (in a hurried conversation) about the WS work environment and they told me that their travel benefits (flights/hotels/non-rev agreements on other airlines?) are some of the best in the industry.

Can anyone elaborate? Maybe a WS employee can fill me in?

JasYHZ
"That's it! You just made the list!"

accargo

RE: WestJet Employee Flight/Travel Benefits

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:50 am

Considering they are not eligible for travel benefits on the majority of airlines I tend to think this is more WS rah rah bs. I believe NW and Alaska give them standby benefits and maybe a few more but thats about it. I'd love to here the real truth if someone from WS wants to post the details of their benefits on other airlines.

swissy

Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:32 am

[quote=Accargo,reply=1]Considering they are not eligible for travel benefits on the majority of airlines I tend to think this is more WS rah rah bs.

Agree with you Accargo, nothing with the majors, some Hotels yes, however
trading is a big thing for them if a ticked is needed from a major airline.

Cheers,

9252fly

Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:43 am

Once they move away from the WN business concept and start interlining,then it will open up all kinds of possibilities for travel. It's a two-edged sword though!

[Edited 2006-03-17 21:49:10]

malaysia

Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:46 am

In my opinion, US interline benefits are the best in the industry, while DL mainline benefits are the best in the industry.

WN has great benefits on mainline and some ZED stuff, but I am sure Westjet has some ZED and flashy agreements, but not many mainline ones.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

accargo

Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 4):
but I am sure Westjet has some ZED and flashy agreements, but not many mainline ones.

No doubt they do have some ZED discounts, but the OP was told by someone at WS that their benefits are among the best in the industry. That is simply not true.

JasYHZ
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:31 am

I did find it odd that as they are sort of WN-like (business model etc.) and they tend to keep to themselves in terms of partnering with other airlines etc.

It would be interesting to get the truth.....
"That's it! You just made the list!"

swissy

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:41 am

Well my guess would be: there will be no WS employee in the forum answering
that good question of yours.
I can only say what I know as I am not a WS employee

Cheers,

omand1

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:00 am

WS and CX are in the final negotiations for a ticketing/baggage agreement. I'm not sure how this would affect, if any, this would have on employee travel benefits.
Show me a conesure, and I'll show you a glutton with a fancy accent

accargo

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:14 am

Quoting Omand1 (Reply 8):
WS and CX are in the final negotiations for a ticketing/baggage agreement. I'm not sure how this would affect, if any, this would have on employee travel benefits.

Yeah, they've been in "final negotiations" for over a year now. A "little" problem with some new computer system and software seems to be holding things up.

9252fly

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting Accargo (Reply 9):
A "little" problem with some new computer system and software seems to be holding things up.

I recall reading somewhere that the new system will be deffered until early next year. It was to be up and running later this year,so who knows what the issues are.