BigGiraffe
Topic Author

PHX And DEN Landings

Tue Jun 06, 2000 7:58 pm

On a normal day, which direction are aircraft landing at PHX and DEN? How often are the east-west runways used at DEN?

Thank you.

DEN-HNL

RE: PHX And DEN Landings

Wed Jun 07, 2000 1:35 am

I can't say that Denver landings are from the North or South more often than another. I would guess that landings from the East and West are the least common though.

The runways all seem to be pretty well utilized. I believe that the pinwheel layout plays a big part. As far as the east-west runways concern, 25 is used quite frequently for departures, as well as 8. 7 is also used quite a bit for landings, but I have yet to land on 26.
Hope this helps!
John Hancock

Wed Jun 07, 2000 11:04 am

At PHX, generally morning operations move west to east, then it reverses about 1:30 or so. It's pretty consistent.

BigGiraffe
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2000 7:59 pm

Thank you both for your answers. I am used to LAX, SFO, and SJC where operations are normally toward the west. So I thought these other airports also had "normal" directions.

DEN was real puzzling with all those criss-crossing runways, although I had guessed north or south was the primary since three runways go that way.

So PHX reverses every afternoon, huh? Interesting.

Does anyone know about the main direction for SLC?

Thanks,
BigGiraffe

bernsa

Wed Jun 07, 2000 10:28 pm

Flew into SLC once and drove to the airport MANY times on that trip to pick up assorted passengers for a wedding party, and noticed that predominately the traffic goes South to North. This was in May though, and maybe seasonal changes affect this. I don't recall any North to South traffic.

flashmeister

Wed Jun 07, 2000 11:25 pm

As far as I was told, BigGiraffe... DEN's runways never actually criscross... no intersections. They use a pinwheel layout instead.

BigGiraffe
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2000 12:43 am

Thanks for the SLC info!

OK, I admit I shouldn't have said criss-cross for DEN. Pinwheel is the right term? What I really meant was that the runways are spread out in an unusual way, but three run north-south and two run east-west.

Thanks for answering!

desertjets

Fri Jun 09, 2000 12:59 pm

I think the runway switch occurs a bit earlier in the day at Sky Harbor... 10 or 11am... I have taken off at that time from the 26's. The reason for this are noise abatement procedures. Here's link that should help. http://www.boeing.com/assocproducts/noise/phoenix_skyharbor.html
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia