ZRH
Topic Author

Swiss Reached The Turnaround (article)

Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:46 pm

In the today's NZZ am Sonntag (Zurich Sunday newspaper) there is an article about the turnaround of Swiss International Airlines ( http://www.nzz.ch/2006/03/19/wi/articleDMXX0.html ; in German).
In my opinion the article is reliable and interesting because this newspaper is known as very serious and usually quite critical of Swiss. I don't have time to translate the whole article, but here some points.
They say that Swiss:
-could stop the cash drain
-they are expanding again on routes to North and South America
-they are locking on the leasing market for two new long-haul planes for the next time-table 2006/07
-the first few months in 2006 were profitable
-the use of capacity and yield has improved in comparison to the last year
-the use of the fleet has been optimized (specifically short-haul)
-short-haul traffic probably will be profitable
-and some other points.
LH sees this with satisfaction. Swiss also has now again more than 50% of the passengers at Zurich-Airport and has with this regained shares of the market.

legacy135

RE: Swiss Reached The Turnaround (article)

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:14 am

Real good news, lets hope, they get confirmed again over and over again. It would be rally good for the entire Swiss aviation, if our airline - even though being in foreign hands - comes back in the rows of the profitable and functional carriers.

I guess one of the next problems we will face in the Swiss aviation world, will be a shortage of pilots. Too many have been forced to look for new jobs. Many of them left aviation completely, other moved out of the country and joined other good companies. I can hardly believe that they will come back. So seeking experienced staff will sooner or later result in a problem.
But also for young copilots: The flight schools went down to a minimum, there is no more capacity around. The only good thing this aspect brings to us: Those having a job will have it for sure and salaries will start to raise again.

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

HBIHLtoEZE

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:19 am

A new chapter has begun...

This really means something: How many times has NZZ already buried Swiss?

Hopefully, they (especially their friendly and hard-working) employees receive now more often what they earn: respect.

Cheers
Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.

swissgabe

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting ZRH (Thread starter):
-they are locking on the leasing market for two new long-haul planes for the next time-table 2006/07

Could be difficult to get 343/332 at a reasonable price, isn't it? Hope they don't consider other A300.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

ZRH
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 3):
Could be difficult to get 343/332 at a reasonable price, isn't it? Hope they don't consider other A300

I agree, no other A 300. We could read that KLM is leasing another 332 with ILFC. Aren't there more around? Or too expensive?

Beaucaire

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:32 am

Good news indeed ! The shortage of long-haul aircraft will become a major issue within the next two years for LX...
Zurich still faces a handicap with Unique ( too steep airport-charges ) to attract more airlines -which is good news for Swiss !
The airline must work on cementing their image as quality provider of in flight-services like in the past-many German customers love to fly swiss for that valid reason.For passengers in neighbouring countries a transit in ZUR is still a viable and cost-effective alternative to LH or Air France,although the latter is becoming quite aggressive in pricing.
But LH should provide rather sooner than later more metal to Swiss to boost it's capacity to re-build it's immage !!
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Flying Belgian

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:38 am

I was expecting those good news from LX, as we haven't heard many negative things about them for a while now.

But still, I would be very cautious about a long-haul expansion.

I assume that some good synergies have been made with LH too.

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

ZRH
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 6):
I assume that some good synergies have been made with LH too.

Yes this is for sure. And I think there will also be some good synergies from the membership in Star Alliance.

[Edited 2006-03-19 16:47:48]

ka

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:43 am

Is there any official word where the two ex-SN A332 will go to when LH takes them out of service in Sep/Oct?? Has TP been confirmed? I lost track somehow. They are still listed at though http://www.planemart.com .
With SN specifications and PW engines they would be quite suitable for LX..... Just my 2 cents.

Anyway it is great to hear that LX is doing better these days....

KA.
Keep smiling - you might be on Radar!

RJ100

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:23 am

Will be most interesting to see the full results that will be published next week.
For instance I wonder how their "real" flying business is doing and how much extra income they generate by selling aircraft (the whole Saab and the whole Embraer fleet).

Also, it will be interesting how they will behave in the Swiss markets in the future. They are very aggressive in ZRH at the moment, gaining back market shares and forcing competition out. Wonder if they have plans for comebacks in the other Swiss regions as well? Would be fair enough in my honest opinion.

Anyway, good news for employees (who truly deserve a bit of good news) and as a citizen of Basle I'm finally happy to see that the company will pay some taxes this year Big grin

RJ100
none

ZRH
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 9):
Wonder if they have plans for comebacks in the other Swiss regions as well? Would be fair enough in my honest opinion.

I hope and wish so, specifically when the short-haul flights really become profitable. I think they could reach synergies with LH and OS at GVA and BSL.

RJ100

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:33 am

They have only a chance to get back customers if they will- in the future- offer an honest product. Flight times which are ideal for business travelers. And they need to outsource (as once promised...) parts of their routes. On most routes the Avro is simply too large. Just look at the latest load factors out of BSL (LCY currently has SLFs of 30%-40%).

I am sure that Cirrus or other LH partner airlines are interested to take up such routes, which can be operated succesfully with 50- seaters. But there need to be a will of LX to do so. And they should try to offer better flying options from BSL via ZRH. LH is now just increasing MUC and FRA to five daily flights each so potential is definitely here.

For their longhaul part it is important to go daily on key routes since business travelers expect this.

As mentioned before, there will be a press conference next week but I believe it is mainly to present last year's results.
none

ZRH
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 11):
I am sure that Cirrus or other LH partner airlines are interested to take up such routes, which can be operated succesfully with 50- seaters. But there need to be a will of LX to do so. And they should try to offer better flying options from BSL via ZRH

I agree. When Swiss is not able to run 50 seaters economically they should let run these routes by other airlines. I think LH has enough affiliates for this purpus (like Cirrus).

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 11):
For their longhaul part it is important to go daily on key routes since business travelers expect this.

This is one of the main reasons that they are looking desperately for two new long-haul aircrafts and less the opening of new routes. Although flights to China are needed.

CV990

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:00 am

Hi!

I must say that my expectations on the recovery on SWISS were not in vain....I was in the past much against the partnership with LH but at this time I must admit that probably it was the best for SWISS...has long that SWISS identity remains and the swiss spirit ok!!! I wait great things with SWISS in a near future!
Regards and congrats to SWISS!!!
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

RJ100

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:09 am

According to Mr. Mayrhuber China is a no go for Swiss in the coming years, although "economiesuisse" is demanding a service.

Good if the company improves but it's still a long way to go to stability. They need to generate cash in their daily flying business. They are under pressure in ZRH where Air Berlin is getting more and more aggressive and looks for direct competition. Their operation in BSL is somehow a mess which leaves them two choices: Either make a true comeback or leave completely. Strong competition also in GVA with not a single route without direct competition.

Remaining all the other factors (oil price, economic climate, health issues etc.). I would say they are out of the worst (that means not to lose millions every day) but there's no time to take a nap now.
none

nijltje

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:09 am

@zrh is their such a huge need to china? Because China airlines has just chosen BRU to fly on and not ZRH

Beaucaire

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:19 am

They'd rather focus on introducing more flights to Africa - much less competition,better yields and on the way from Germany via ZUR down south ....
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

ZRH
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Nijltje (Reply 15):
@zrh is their such a huge need to china?

Actually there is huge business between Switzerland and specially Shanghai. I think a A 340 could easily be filled.

Legallykev

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:17 am

Any ideas on what new North american routes they may add?

swissy

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:50 pm

Agree with you 100% ZRH, there is tremendous business going on with China

Cheers,  Smile

FLYACYYZ

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:05 pm

Surprised that they have had a very long hiatus on the YYZ-ZRH route. Swissair DC-10's always did well, but dropped the route years ago, codesharing with AC operating the YYZ flights, and SR operating the YMQ flights.
Above and Beyond

KLM685

Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting ZRH" class=quote target=_blank>ZRH (Thread starter):
-they are expanding again on routes to North and South America

Really? It will be interesting if someone shed some light about where will they expand. The US is pretty 'well' covered, OTOH Latin America only has GRU in Swiss destinations.

Quoting ZRH" class=quote target=_blank>ZRH (Thread starter):
LH sees this with satisfaction. Swiss also has now again more than 50% of the passengers at Zurich-Airport and has with this regained shares of the market.

Good to know! I'm glad ZRH is starting to take a healthy position.

Quoting Nijltje (Reply 15):
@zrh is their such a huge need to china? Because China airlines has just chosen BRU to fly on and not ZRH

Well it all depends on which China you're talking about. But get your point anyway. IT would be good to see more asian carriers get in ZRH or even better to see Swiss @ China.

Cheers!

Alonso
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

LTU932

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Quoting Ka (Reply 8):
With SN specifications and PW engines they would be quite suitable for LX..... Just my 2 cents.

They would not be quite suitable, they would be perfect! Those last two A332s LH is currently operating will definitely help LX to free up more A340s, which can fly the additional flight to NYC and maybe some other destinations in Asia, where they desperately need more A340s.

Knightsofmalta

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Quoting Legallykev (Reply 18):
Any ideas on what new North american routes they may add?

SWISS is not adding any new routes in North North America. With the additional aircraft, if they come, the primary goal is to be able to operate the medium- and long-haul network daily.

MEA-707

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:30 pm

All this remembers me a bit of the KLM-Air France merger. Remember so many dutch here screamed murder a few years ago that they expect KLM to be shrunk as and repainted as 'Air France-pays bas' feeder for CDG and have flight attendant witches yell back in French if you address them in Dutch. And now see how well both KLM and Air France are benefiting from the take over and still keep their own identity. I guess the synergy effects with Lufthansa helps out for Swiss as well.
I hope Swiss will keep Darwin Air as feeder for more regional flights, like ZRH-Lugano and so on. I flew them and they have a great and elegant product, maybe their lower cost structure make they can operate the Saab 2000s economically while Swiss couldn't.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

magic48

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:13 pm

Quoting Knightsofmalta (Reply 23):
SWISS is not adding any new routes in North North America. With the additional aircraft, if they come, the primary goal is to be able to operate the medium- and long-haul network daily.

Swiss won't add any new routes to North America, agree, but they are going to add a second daily flight to JFK by May 1, operated by an A332.

Quoting ZRH (Reply 4):
I agree, no other A 300.

What are you referring to by saying 'other'? As far as I know, LX will soon add one Hapag Lloyd A300-600 for flights to Africa...

Knightsofmalta

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:23 pm

Quoting Magic48 (Reply 25):
What are you referring to by saying 'other'?

I think what he meant was 'not another', in which case I must say I couldn't agree more...
 Wow!

JoFMO

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:34 pm

I wouldn't care if they introduce a A300 to the Middle East to free up another widebody.

ZRH
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Quoting Knightsofmalta (Reply 23):
SWISS is not adding any new routes in North North America.

Actually they don't add a new destination, but as said, a second ZRH-JFK flight. To NYC they will have again four flights: twice a day ZRH-JFK and once GVA-JFK and the only business class flight ZRH-EWR operated by Private Air.
Regarding South America their flight to Sao Paolo will be extended to Santiago.

RCS763AV

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:39 am

Very nice! Some years ago, Belgium and Switzeralnd lost their two huge very elegant airlines. Its nice to see that LX is in the path of becoming that once again....one day. Lets hope SN does the same......

RJ100

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:08 pm

There was a press conference in Basle this morning to present last year's full results.

The airline lost 178 mio. CHF (140 mio. CHF in 2004), operating loss was 55 mio. CHF (-14 mio. without restructuring costs).

The 4th quarter was pretty bad as well, with a loss of 97 mio. CHF and operational losses of 69 mio. CHF (-38 mio. without restructuring costs).

I wonder if the article about the turnaround was not a bit too optimistic. I mean, not even the first quarter of 2006 is over and they say to be profitable?

I have a few doubts on this article...

Regards,
RJ100
none

felixZRH

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:22 pm

Here is a link to the press release:
http://www.swiss.com/web/NS6/about-s...ress-releases-06.htm?&newsid=87781

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 30):
I wonder if the article about the turnaround was not a bit too optimistic.

I agree with you on that. But I am still in good hope that LX can find the turnaround this year and find more a/c (see: Swiss In Capacity Squeeze On Its New York Routes (by Ab1247 Mar 23 2006 in Civil Aviation) )

Regards, Felix

RJ100

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:30 pm

Quoting FelixZRH (Reply 31):
But I am still in good hope that LX can find the turnaround this year

Agree, maybe they will break even this year. My doubts are that they broke even in quarter 1. Everyone (apart from the journalists it seems   ) know that quarter 1 is one of the "bad" quarters. An operational profit in quarter 1 would be a big surprise if not impossible.

So if LX broke even in quarter 1 then it is due to some special income like aircraft sellings or due to Swiss technic in BSL which is very busy right now.

BTW, yields in Europe currently down nearly 6%, longhaul yields up 8.6% (but unable to compensate higher fuel costs according to Mr. Franz).

Regards,
RJ100

[Edited 2006-03-23 11:31:33]
none

RJ100

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:25 pm

And another interesting note:

"Lufthansa wants to increase flights to and from EuroAirport Basel"

Lufthansa wants to increase with its daughter Swiss air traffic to and from EuroAirport Basel. "Basel is an interesting market", said Lufthansa chief Wolfgang Mayrhuber on Thursday in Frankfurt. "This market will be conquered back step by step. Swiss has cut back services almost completely and concentrated on Zurich. First steps already happened (a fifth daily rotation each to Frankfurt and Munich). More will follow", Mayrhuber said in Frankfurt.

I seriously hope they will add a product that is needed and not trying to compete against easyJet with low fares (which will result in a loss for Swiss).

Regards,
RJ100
none

Oykie

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:18 pm

Quoting ZRH (Reply 4):
I agree, no other A 300. We could read that KLM is leasing another 332 with ILFC. Aren't there more around? Or too expensive?

SAS tried to get one A330-200 for it's OSL-EWR route, but they could not find any. I guess LX will have the same difficulties.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

RJ100

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:33 am

Mr. Franz today said in an interview that they will not reach a profit this year. Profits can be expected earliest in 2008 but only if "we work very hard".

Quite a disappointing statement but I guess he knows better than the NZZ journalist.

What's going on here?

RJ100
none

RJ100

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:40 am

Oh and by the way, the unions are just letting us know that they expect better payment due to improved results of the company.

Now that will be an interesting summer since Swiss is going to propose salary cuts for the longhaul crews when their general working contract expires...

RJ100
none

ZRH
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:32 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 35):
Mr. Franz today said in an interview that they will not reach a profit this year. Profits can be expected earliest in 2008 but only if "we work very hard".

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 36):
Oh and by the way, the unions are just letting us know that they expect better payment due to improved results of the company.

These are two interesting statements. Probably Mr Franz has to say this, if true or not, when you already hear the expectings of these unions. I always suspect that they are not interested in the company's surviving, they only demand as much as possible. I don't trust them at all, they are rather annoying and unnecessary.

RJ100

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:01 pm

I agree completely. Unfortunately the unions nowadays completely lost their original tasks (being a voice for the empoloyees when there was no social security and no working laws). Today the unions are guided by some self-named "captains" who want to rule a company. Just look at the desaster that happened today at Swissmetall in Reconvillier/JU, where more than 100 people lost their jobs due to the stupidity of the unions (striking for weeks resulting in the fact that most customers cancelled their orders).

But still, it will be a hot summer with the Aeropers pilots. But I hope they will see reality that more longhaul planes (which are needed to fly key routes daily) will only join the fleet when costs can be reduced in the longhaul part.

The unions are completely unnecessary in this case since the wages are made by the market. If Swiss is going to pay less than others then the pilots simply will leave the boat (a risk for Swiss but I have no clue on how much the longhaul pilots earn). What I know is that the Jumbolino crews today earn less than the market average, that's why a lot of the former pilots found new jobs at expanding companies such as easyJet, Ryanair and HELLO who all pay better. It will maybe be a problem for Swiss once they are introducing new routes and planes (because they won't find pilots then). But so far so good.

There are some more news concerning the "turnaround" article. Mr. Franz said that they will achieve an operational black 0 this year, which means that we should expect another loss due to the restructuring costs.

Mr. Franz also confirmed plans to start a comeback at Basel airport in 2007 but it is unknown how they will make it. The fact that Lufthansa has announced it and Swiss only confirmed it means in my opinion that Lufthansa (which has a strong customer base in the region) will operate the flights. Swiss does not have the right aircraft anyway. My guess is that LH Regional is placing a few ATRs here or is finally playing the joker card...which is Germanwings.

Regards,
RJ100
none

HBDAN

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 38):
Mr. Franz also confirmed plans to start a comeback at Basel airport in 2007 but it is unknown how they will make it. The fact that Lufthansa has announced it and Swiss only confirmed it means in my opinion that Lufthansa (which has a strong customer base in the region) will operate the flights. Swiss does not have the right aircraft anyway. My guess is that LH Regional is placing a few ATRs here or is finally playing the joker card...which is Germanwings.

Dear RJ100, could you please provide your source on this? I couldn't find any statement from Mr. Franz regarding BSL. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
HBDAN
Next flight: hopefully soon...

RJ100

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:46 pm

First it was Lufthansa (!!) who said it in Frankfurt yesterday and Mr. Franz confirmed it towards Swiss TV later in an interview (I think it was in "Schweiz Aktuell"), also it is written in today's newspaper.

Interesting thing is indeed that Lufthansa speaks about it and not Swiss (also in today's newspaper the interview is with Lufthansa people...).

Interesting is also that I KNOW that Germanwings wanted to base two A-319 in BSL with the beginning of this year (it was confirmed by Germanwings to some local companies) but postponed it due to an easyJet expansion. So it might be that they will open a base here next year...

Regards,
RJ100
none

ZRH
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting HBDAN (Reply 39):
Dear RJ100, could you please provide your source on this? I couldn't find any statement from Mr. Franz regarding BSL.

I actually read the same statement from Mr. Franz as RJ100, but unfortunately I don't know where. Probably on the SF DRS Teletext yesterday.

HBDAN

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:58 pm

Thanks guys,

Haven't read newspaper yet, haven't seen TV yesterday evening!  Big grin

Regards,
HBDAN
Next flight: hopefully soon...

ZRH
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:01 pm

Quoting HBDAN (Reply 42):
Haven't read newspaper yet, haven't seen TV yesterday evening!

Yes, probably this statement was in the "Tagesschau" or "10vor10" yesterday.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:00 am

sorry, in German :
-
Frankfurt. SDA/Reuters/AP/baz. Die Lufthansa will mit ihrer Tochter Swiss das Gesch�ft vom EuroAirport Basel aus wieder verst�rken. �Basel ist ein interessanter Markt, sagte Lufthansa-Konzernschef Wolfgang Mayrhuber am Donnerstag in Frankfurt. Dieser Markt solle �stufenweise� wieder zur�ckerobert werden. Die Swiss hatte sich immer mehr aus Basel zur�ckgezogen und ganz auf den Flughafen Z�rich konzentriert. Bereits zum Sommerflugplan sei das Angebot in Basel ausgebaut worden. Weitere Schritten w�rden folgen, sagte Mayrhuber an der Bilanzmedienkonferenz der Lufthansa weiter.

RJ100

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:36 am

What I can say is that Lufthansa currently has some "exclusive" contracts with some larger companies in the region. They are in direct contact with each other and Lufthansa realises if the customer needs something. For instance a connection to MAN is overdue (for Syngenta company alone which has big plants both in Basel and Huddersfield). This would be a route that can be flown with a 50-seater for instance. But I think LH ans LX should be warned: If they start a war with easyJet, they will lose and run into the next desaster. A lot of people have switched to easyJet here (even the large companies) and they are very happy with easyJet. Swiss has lost a lot of customers here and can only win them back if they offer different destinations than easyJet serves.

As for LX news, it currently seems they have taken over the routes ZRH-KRK and ZRH-GRZ from bankrupt Styrian Spirit until the end of March!

Regards,
RJ100
none