TPAnx
Topic Author

Hip-Hop Station: Hazard To MIA Communications

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:55 am

Pirate station blocks MIA tower frequency. Details here:
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/14138224.htm
Think this has happened before. Anyone experience it?
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

komododx

RE: Hip-Hop Station: Hazard To MIA Communications

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:59 am

Is this what Clear Channel has come to after f...ing up all the radio stations in Miami?

Why don't they just take the antenna down?

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

Skydrol

Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 1):
Is this what Clear Channel has come to after f...ing up all the radio stations in Miami?

Likely these 'pirate' stations are starting up for just this reason. Too bad they don't consider the consequences of image frequencies.

Now the pirate station can claim 'Da Streetz' are in the air.  Smile

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

srbmod

Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 1):

You really could blame Clear Channel and CBS Radio for pirate radio stations popping up, but that's another topic for the Non-Av Forum. It's actually pretty easy to throw one together, you can go down to your local RadioShack (Or similar store) and buy just about all the stuff you need, anything else you could probably pick up on eBay or from an online electronic parts store. The antenna itself can be anything from a loop antenna that runs between buildings (This is how many small college radio stations do it) to even a CB radio antenna (something we used to jokingly threaten to do at the college station I worked at), to something put on a tower much like a regular radio station (which is what these folks did).

One possibility is that the pirate station broadcast is bleeding onto an ATC frequency for MIA. Sometimes you can pick up a station whose transmitter is nowhere near where you are at. Here in Atlanta, depending on where in town I am at, I can on 98.9 pick up a station in Montgomery, Alabama or a station in Greenville, SC. This sometimes affects my use of the FM modulator in my satellite radio receiver. And since the problem is not an all day occurance, this leads me to believe that this is what's happening.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos