planetime

LAX Spotting

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:52 am

I will be coming in from Singapore to LA for a week or so. Can someone please advise me which are the best spotting places, I heard of Imperial Hill and In and Out. Also what are the best times for spotting jumbo's and widebodies and from which place. And good hotels that is good for spotting,maybe some rooftop spotting locations? Thanks.Planetime.

MGA

RE: LAX Spotting

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:44 am

7 AM rush: Qantas
9-10AM rush: Asian airlines
2-5PM: European Ailines

Try Encounter (funny llokik bulidng in the midle of the airport) and maybe take buses C and B to their respective parking lots. Good views.

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

ATCme

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:47 am

I was just there (in LA). Anyway, there is a Burger King on the road to the C parking lot (I think) and the rental car return. It has a great view of the landing pattern for 25L. The view is partially blocked by a hotel, but if you're looking for pictures and have a camera that has some zoom on it it is a great spot. I would only recommend going to this place if you are looking to take pics, there is a whole range of airplanes coming in too (747 all the way down to prop RJs). Anyway, there was a lot of heavies coming in around 7 AMish. Hope I helped!
ATCme  spin 
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

Devilfish

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:13 am

Quoting MGA (Reply 1):
maybe take buses C and B to their respective parking lots. Good views.

Slightly off-topic (think the LAX Bus thread is buried too deep to dig) for those whom Union Station might be convenient, I had just tried the Flyaway this morning and Downtown to Lax and back was a breeze. Left Union Patsaouras Plaza at 8:30 A.M. and took just 30 minutes to LAX Terminal 3, and the same time on the return trip. US Coach going and Flyaway bus back. Just make sure the Flyaway isn't going to Van Nuys. Buses are clean and comfortable, and there were only five of us on each trip. One is a little old lady. On the way back, one arriving passenger said she had just read about the new service, and was very pleased. Another is a gentleman going home to Santa Barbara who said his limousine ride to his airport cost $200 and it wasn't as clean as the bus. The best thing is I got to ride roundtrip for free as Metro ticket or pass holders transiting through Union have until the end of March for complimentary rides. Maybe LAWA should give me a season pass for the free plug?  Big grin

I did intend to spot a bit but I forgot to bring along snacks and dark clouds were already starting to come in.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

airbear

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:23 am

If you're looking for a good "spotting" hotel, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza on W.Century Blvd. a couple weeks ago. I had a room on - I think - 11th Flr., overlooking the south side, directly in front of the UA Maintainance area. This also lined up neatly with the touchdown zone for the 2 runways on the south side (is that the 25's???).

Best of all, and unusual for a modern hotel anywhere these days, the room window opened right up, so you didn't have to take photos thru' tinted glass or anything. Nice hotel, too, altho' the breakfast buffet was very, very basic and the "hot" items (eggs, sausages, pancakes etc etc) weren't.

Hope that helps, enjoy LAX.

planetime

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:24 am

Quoting MGA (Reply 1):
7 AM rush: Qantas
9-10AM rush: Asian airlines
2-5PM: European Ailines

Try Encounter (funny llokik bulidng in the midle of the airport) and maybe take buses C and B to their respective parking lots. Good views.

So would it be a good idea to get a reservation there for the European Rush around 4pm. Which runway should I be facing when there?

asuflyer05

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:42 am

I was just out there 2 weeks ago. I found Imperial Hill and the In and Out to be amazing places to sit and spot. As far as hotels go, I stayed at the Hilton Towers. I paid $77 a night on Hotwire.com

Matt

mel

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:49 pm

I've got a spotting guide on our website, available here:

http://www.contrailsphotography.com/spotting.html
NO URLS in signature

N1120A

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:00 pm

If you want a great view of the landings on the 25s, and the best caprese salad and clam chowder in L.A., head over to the Proud Bird on Aviation Blvd.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

planetime

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:35 pm

Quoting MEL (Reply 7):

http://www.contrailsphotography.com/....html

Very nice guide thank you!

acjflyer

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:08 pm

It's all about the In-n-out burger parking lot. Take interstate 5 towrads the airport and right before you get there turn off onto Sepulvedra blvd. and head north one or two blocks. I guarantee you will find a few other photographers taking pictures there too.

N1120A

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:17 pm

Quoting Acjflyer (Reply 10):
It's all about the In-n-out burger parking lot. Take interstate 5 towrads the airport and right before you get there turn off onto Sepulvedra blvd. and head north one or two blocks. I guarantee you will find a few other photographers taking pictures there too.

Interstate 5 doesn't go to LAX. You take I-105 (which ends at Sepulveda), I-405 or CA-1

IAHFLYR

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:25 pm

In-N-Out Burger.....the best place by far! Arrivals to 24R fly almost within arms reach! Order a #1 and get yourself a good seat outside on the patio, enjoy.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

MGA

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting Planetime (Reply 5):
So would it be a good idea to get a reservation there for the European Rush around 4pm. Which runway should I be facing when there?

Go to encounter (you have a view of both runways), and have yourself a Chicken tenderloin salad  yummy 

Sit down at around 1 PM and you can see some Tokyobound 747´s. By the time your finishing, you can catch all the Euro arrivals.

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

travelin man

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting Planetime (Reply 5):

The majority of the European arrival rush happens before 4pm. VS, SR, KL, EI, SU, BA, AF, LH, NZ, AA, UA all come in between 1pm-3pm (there are some later flights from BA and a couple of others).

They use both the North and the South runways (depending on which side of the airport their terminal is -- usually).

In'N'Out (Runway 24R) is great for seeing VS, AF, NZ, & BA. Proud Bird (Runway 25L) is great for UA, AA, SR, & LH. But of course, the airlines don't always land on the side of the airport their terminal is.

Honestly, there is a pretty steady stream of widebodies all day long, so you really can't go wrong spotting at LAX.

acjflyer

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:48 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
Interstate 5 doesn't go to LAX. You take I-105 (which ends at Sepulveda), I-405 or CA-1

Thanks for the correction. I meant the 405 connecting to the 105. There are too many 5's down there.

planetime

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:20 am

Is there a nighttime rush of widebodies? If so what time? I would imagne all those QF's from the morning have to depart sometime along with their kiwi counterparts? Is Imperial Hill a good place for spotting this?

jacobin777

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

QF flights to SYD....didn't put in MEL

weekdays+saturday
12:50pm-QF8
8:30pm-QF26
10:30pm-QF12
11:45pm-QF108
----
Sunday
11:20pm-QF176
11:50pm-QF108
"Up the Irons!"

planetime

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:21 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 17):
QF flights to SYD....didn't put in MEL

weekdays+saturday
12:50pm-QF8
8:30pm-QF26
11:45pm-QF108
----
Sunday
11:20pm-QF176
11:50pm-QF108

Cool that gives me an idea... I also looked up and they got 2 flights to MEL and 1 to AKL and 1 to Brisbane. So if lucky I will be able to get 7 or 8 QF widebodies on Saturday landing and taking off. Too bad most are at night though. But landings should be ok from Imperial Hill for this right not In and Out.

jacobin777

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:21 pm

Quoting Planetime (Reply 18):

Cool that gives me an idea... I also looked up and they got 2 flights to MEL and 1 to AKL and 1 to Brisbane. So if lucky I will be able to get 7 or 8 QF widebodies on Saturday landing and taking off. Too bad most are at night though. But landings should be ok from Imperial Hill for this right not In and Out.

I think they should be ok for both if I'm not mistaken, I've never really spotted out of LAX however.... Sad

if you look at the A.net photobase, you will probably get a better idea.... Smile
"Up the Irons!"

planetime

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:55 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 19):
if you look at the A.net photobase, you will probably get a better idea

yeah most of those QF's photos and reading comments look like Imperial hill, specially the ones that focus on south side. In and Out is more for landing and close range I believe, but I am not too sure. Can someone please clarify this? Thanks!

planetime

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:05 pm

Quoting MEL (Reply 7):

Those spotting videos on your website for LAX was taken from which rooftop or which hill? Looks great!

Any particular JFK spotting locations you could recommend while at it? Thanks!

mel

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:57 pm

If the videos you are referring to are associated with the spotting link, then it is pretty self-explanatory.

If they are from the 'Videos' link, then the 'Hill' ones are from Imperial Hill, while the 'Rooftop' videos are from the roof of the Radisson Hotel.

Matt
NO URLS in signature

planetime

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:52 pm

Quoting MEL (Reply 22):
If they are from the 'Videos' link, then the 'Hill' ones are from Imperial Hill, while the 'Rooftop' videos are from the roof of the Radisson Hotel.

Thanks Radisson Hotel. I will see that I will get a room there when in LAX. Seems like a good place for spotting the Northern 2 runways.

acelanzarote

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting MEL (Reply 22):
while the 'Rooftop' videos are from the roof of the Radisson Hotel.

Does the radisson have the best roof for watching the planes,
any other hotels nearby with roof bars etc???
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

andessmf

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:26 am

I agree with all above since I have done it. The Crowne Plaza will get you the best view of any hotel.

Lets not forget the beach guys! You can easily find parking and sit there alone or with family while the planes go right above you.

The Encounters restaurant (its the LAX theme building) is a good place to do spotting. A bit expensive but worth the experience.

Anytime I've been to LAX, the spotting has always been great.

planetime

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 25):
I agree with all above since I have done it. The Crowne Plaza will get you the best view of any hotel.

Lets not forget the beach guys! You can easily find parking and sit there alone or with family while the planes go right above you.

The Encounters restaurant (its the LAX theme building) is a good place to do spotting. A bit expensive but worth the experience.

Anytime I've been to LAX, the spotting has always been great.

Does the Crowne Plaza have a rooftop spotting place like the Radisson? Also with the encounter is it that good? I don't see it that high by the photographs.

andessmf

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting Planetime (Reply 26):
Also with the encounter is it that good?

The Encounters restaurant can be an experience unto itself. The LAX viewing terrace is located there, but no longer open.

The restaurant allows you a decent view of the east side of the airfield, but the noise is muffled. The food is good and a little expensive.

I dont know about the hotel except from several books and videos that I have. For the hotels, it looks like the closest to the action. I dont know if it has a rooftop terrace.

For a good meal, take the In'n'Out. Went there once last year and I was not disappointed. There is a five level parking garage right next to it even closer to the field. Later on this year I will try to see if I can park there to do some viewing. The airplanes coming to the 24s get pretty close, the pictures that you see dont give it justice. You can easily recognize faces on the airplanes landing.

planetime

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 27):
There is a five level parking garage right next to it even closer to the field. Later on this year I will try to see if I can park there to do some viewing. The airplanes coming to the 24s get pretty close, the pictures that you see dont give it justice. You can easily recognize faces on the airplanes landing.

Any problems by law enforcement or anybody when parked up there? I know Imperial Hill and In and Out is quite safe from what I been hearing. Must be real nice from that parking lot during the European Rush.

LAXPAX

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:01 am

I wish I could invite you all into my office for spotting, but unfortunately, my boss won't allow it! We're high up in the office building that is directly next to (West of) the Crowne Plaza hotel . Our suite wraps around the building such that our South-facing offices and lunchroom directly overlook the touchdown zone of the 25's, with no obstructions. My desk is on the opposite side, with a view of the approach for the North runways.

The Crowne Plaza can definitely be good for spotting, as long as you get an upper room that faces Century Boulevard. However, there is no roof access at the Crowne Plaza. The Burger King on Airport Road (at 96th Street) is OK for spotting 24L/R approaches, as is the Renaissance Hotel across the street. But nothing beats In-N-Out for "close encounters"! The drawback is that you generally see more of the undercarriage than the livery!

Here's the shot that I use as my computer wallpaper:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Paulsen - AirTeamImages

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

acelanzarote

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting LAXPAX (Reply 29):
The Crowne Plaza can definitely be good for spotting, as long as you get an upper room that faces Century Boulevard. However, there is no roof access at the Crowne Plaza.

Is the Raddison the one to head to to get on the roof then???
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

planetime

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting LAXPAX (Reply 29):
Here's the shot that I use as my computer wallpaper:

That is really a beautiful picture. All the colors/nature seems to blend in. And that blue california sky........... what can I say ............just dead drop gorgeous. Nice job you have spotting and working. Boss can never keep track of how many planes you spotted.... unless he is a spotter also  Smile.

andessmf

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting Planetime (Reply 28):

Any problems by law enforcement or anybody when parked up there?

I really dont know, it is a private parking structure. I would ask the attendants.

N1120A

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 27):
The Encounters restaurant can be an experience unto itself. The LAX viewing terrace is located there, but no longer open.

Too bad the food is overpriced and not very good

Quoting Acjflyer (Reply 15):
Thanks for the correction. I meant the 405 connecting to the 105. There are too many 5's down there.

Nah, that is all part of the Interstate naming system.

mel

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:10 am

Go to the Radisson dude. I think it's the only rooftop bar/outside spotting area among all the nearby hotels. The 'deck' outside is very small, but it gets the job done.

The picture on this page:

http://www.contrailsphotography.com/spotting.html

is of us spotting on the deck.
NO URLS in signature

visityyj

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting Planetime (Reply 28):
Any problems by law enforcement or anybody when parked up there?

Yes, it is not allowed (signs posted) and is enforced. When it first opened they didn't care because I asume they just didn't realise how popular it would become. I think the clamp-down came after a certain group of photogs held a 'shoot-in' there (not naming names of course  Embarrassment ) and upset the actual patrons of the parking lot. Understandable IMHO.

planetime

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting MEL (Reply 34):
Go to the Radisson dude. I think it's the only rooftop bar/outside spotting area among all the nearby hotels. The 'deck' outside is very small, but it gets the job done.

Thanks. Will book my room there. That seems like you are facing north towards 24L/R. Is it good for 25L/R also?????

N1120A

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting Planetime (Reply 36):

Thanks. Will book my room there. That seems like you are facing north towards 24L/R. Is it good for 25L/R also?????

The Radisson isn't much good for the 25s, but is great for the 24s since it is the closest hotel to the airport and is right across Sepulveda from T1.

MrMcCoy

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:44 am

Last time I was in LAX spotting, I decided to stay off the Parking Spot roof. They've installed some security cameras that you can't see without actually knowing they are there (ground-looking-up) that are there expressly for the purpose of keping an eye on the folks who can't take their eyes off of the aircraft.

It's silly to me, becuase you are much closer to the overflying aircraft from the grassy knoll than you are at the parking spot.

Imperial Hill is where I go when I want to see more numbers of aircraft. In and out is the spot I always hit when I'm in it to lay down and relax with my scanner. It's quite breathtaking.
It only takes five years to go from rumor to standard operating procedure.

planetime

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:44 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
The Radisson isn't much good for the 25s

Thanks! Guess I will stick with imperial hill for that pair.

Quoting MrMcCoy (Reply 38):
It's silly to me, becuase you are much closer to the overflying aircraft from the grassy knoll than you are at the parking spot.

You never know some of those sprinklers could be hidden camera over there. But then again its a favourite place for spotters so should not be too much of a problem.

Also is there quite a large number of spotters on the weekends in Imperial Hill and IN and Out? Radisson I imagine will be limited.

MrMcCoy

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:30 am

Well, Imperial (Clutter's Park) is always full. It's the best way to see an airport in operation. I, like many others, like to read books from cover to cover instead of just the dust-jacket intro. To me, the In-and-Out spot is eye candy (dust-cover). You get to see the birds up close and loud, and for many that's sufficient spotting. Imperial is the rest of the book, and I've been known to sit there for HOURS watching aircraft come and go.

I personally prefer to see more, and often get a little of both. Expect parking problems at the In-and-Out. Imperial is easy to get at and there's a nice Subway at the bottom of the hill to fill your stomach.  Smile
It only takes five years to go from rumor to standard operating procedure.

N501US

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:35 pm

This works for me (your mileage may vary) :

I stay at the Renaissance or Four Points which can have good views of ops from the rooms. After checkin I take a walk from the hotel to Inn N Out;grab some food, do a little spotting and then walk back.

Airliners, exercise, and good food! Enjoy
Fools and thieves are well disguised in the temple and the marketplace.....

planetime

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:22 pm

Is it a given standard that if a plane is to land on the north side of the airport they use 24 l/R approach, and if they land on the south side they will use 25 L/R approach. Or is there a more accurate way of doing it. Which dide does NZ usually land from?

travelin man

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting Planetime (Reply 42):
Is it a given standard that if a plane is to land on the north side of the airport they use 24 l/R approach, and if they land on the south side they will use 25 L/R approach.

That is the best rule of thumb. Of course, that does not happen ALL the time, but it is the most likely indicator of which planes will land on which runways.

Given that rule of thumb, NZ probably usually lands on the North side (as they use Terminal 2).

chrisjake

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 43):
NZ probably usually lands on the North side

quite honestly, i've been spotting at LAX a bunch of times and i dont recall seeing very many NZ flights land on the north side. they've mostly landed the south-side along with Qantas. probably makes for a quicker approach to landing since they're coming in mostly from the south pacific.

i've also witnessed numerous Asian carriers land on the north side, only to taxi to their parking spot on the south complex.

and i'll agree with MrMcoy above, i enjoy Imperial Hill the most. not only is it a great vantage point to watch the entire airport operation, but you can meet some really great and interesting people up there.

chris

visityyj

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting Chrisjake (Reply 44):
probably makes for a quicker approach to landing since they're coming in mostly from the south pacific.

There's no hard-and-fast rule, but most pilots would I think prefer a shorter approach to a shorter taxi. The majority of QF, NZ, TN and the Mexican airlines (ie. those coming up from South) land 25L although LH seems to as well. Not a scientific study, but my sense is that the 24s (N) get more 'heavies' than the 25s (S), probably because most of them come from Asia.

The only airline I have never seen land 25 is China Southern.

planetime

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:17 am

Quoting Visityyj (Reply 45):
There's no hard-and-fast rule, but most pilots would I think prefer a shorter approach to a shorter taxi. The majority of QF, NZ, TN and the Mexican airlines (ie. those coming up from South) land 25L although LH seems to as well. Not a scientific study, but my sense is that the 24s (N) get more 'heavies' than the 25s (S), probably because most of them come from Asia.

The only airline I have never seen land 25 is China Southern.

Thanks!