KELPkid
Topic Author

Eight Indicted In ELP WN Ticket Fraud Scheme

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 am

Source: http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S=4657793

This is the much-hyped million dollar ticket fraud scheme that some of the Southwest ticket counter employees at ELP had going...until they were caught in 2003.

They basically pocketed the cash from last-minute walk up ticket sales. However, the customer didn't know the difference (they were able to board the flight). I'm not sure what the intricacies of this fraud scheme were...

Wow, it appears to be a federal indictment! (the US Attorney's office is involved).
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Jumpseat70

RE: Eight Indicted In ELP WN Ticket Fraud Scheme

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:38 pm

I guess they weren't as smart as they thought they were. All ticket numbers are audited by ARC, Airline Reporting Corporation, and kept for 7 years. ARC is just like the IRS. They audit often and frequently. Travel agencies are very familiar with them, but I guess these guys didn't do their homework.
"Up, Up and away with TWA"

LV

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:33 am

Here is a story from another station in El Paso with a few more details.

http://www.ktsm.com/story_news.sstg?c=1760

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:48 am

Quoting Jumpseat70 (Reply 1):
I guess they weren't as smart as they thought they were

As a native El Pasoan, I can attest that a lot of the folks there are "a couple margaritas short of a party"
 duck 

access-air

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:04 am

Pretty sad indeed.....

Dont people that do stuff like this think ahead to the day that they are going to slip up and get caught or are they so smug in what they do that they think itll never come to pass...
Stupidity to the max...

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

lincoln

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:21 am

guess they weren't as smart as they thought they were. All ticket numbers are audited by ARC, Airline Reporting Corporation, and kept for 7 years

I know ARC is there to keep travel agents honest, but I didn't think that they audited airlines on their own sales... Is WN even an ARC member airline? Then again, the Airlines Reporting Corporation Agents Handbook is targeted exclusively at Travel Agents, so I guess they wouldn't go into detail about the Airlineside of things.

Raise your hand if you know GG WOOF (IIRC, may only be a CO thing)

Quoting KELPkid (Thread starter):
Wow, it appears to be a federal indictment! (the US Attorney's office is involved).

Pretty much anything involving an airline is going to be federal because states have, essentially, no jurisdiction over the operations of an airline.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

fsuwxman

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 5):
Raise your hand if you know GG WOOF (IIRC, may only be a CO thing)

Now you got me interested, I guess I will check it out in a couple minutes when I get to work...
ASOS... Another Shi#y Observation Station

ssides

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:07 am

I don't see how this worked ... were these non-electronic tickets? Were the people who bought the used tickets left out-of-luck at the gate?

Does anyone else have details?
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

searpqx

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:32 am

All ticket numbers are audited by ARC, Airline Reporting Corporation, and kept for 7 years.

Minor correct, ARC has nothing to do with internal airline operations. I would imagine this came to light when WNs own internal auditors ran a routine check of the station and noticed something amiss. I'm not sure how WN's DCS works, but it could have been something like departure count not matching ticket count. It sounds like these guys 'sold' walkups a ticket, but didn't actually run the transaction through the system, instead just collecting cash and pocketing it. But they would have had to still issue a boarding document, to allow them through security, and that's probably what tripped them up, boarding documents didn't line up w/ tickets.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"