Crosswind
Topic Author

BA UK Domestic - Self/Web Check-In Only From April

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:00 am

British Airways have today announced that from 25 April, passengers travelling on UK domestic flights will only be able to check-in online or at self-service kiosks.

Seems BA are determined to cut costs by forcing people to use this service, but I'm not sure this fits in with their full service image. Airport staff always encourage people to use the self-service kiosks but I think taking away choice might panic a few less-well-travelled passengers. I'm sure those who require special attention will be checked-in the traditional way, although the press release doesn't say that.

I always use online check-in where it's available as it saves time at the airport, but I've never thought self-service check-in was any faster than the traditional check-in - especially when you have hold luggage.

Excerpt from the press release;

--------------
The first change is to be launched from April 25, when the airline introduces across-the-board self-service check-in for customers travelling on UK domestic flights. From this date, the only way for customers to check-in will be on ba.com or at an airport kiosk.

Conventional check-in desks will be converted to 'fast bag drop' desks, for customers with luggage to check-in, and dedicated staff will be on hand to help customers at the kiosks.

Customers who check-in on ba.com can print their boarding pass from their home or office printer, up to 24 hours before their flight, allowing them to proceed immediately to the boarding gate on arrival at the airport.

--------------

Full Press Release

Regards
CROSSWIND

abefroman329

RE: BA UK Domestic - Self/Web Check-In Only From April

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:11 am

So you're just SOL if you don't want to check-in at the kiosk or online? Not even the option of paying an extra 10 quid to check in with an agent or something?

trekster

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:02 am

Hmmm

And what about the older generation that dont know how to use self service, or dont have a computer. Suppose we will jsut have to wait and see what happens.
Where does the time go???

ANother

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:13 am

So what? Squeezy Jet has had kiosk check-in only at GVA for months. At least BA gives you another option.

airbus3801

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 2):
Hmmm

And what about the older generation that dont know how to use self service, or dont have a computer. Suppose we will jsut have to wait and see what happens.

I don't think that is an issue really! The self service kiosks are quite simple to use and the release says there will be "dedicated staff on hand".

kiwiandrew

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:31 am

.. you mean the same people who swore that they would stop flying altogether when the security blanket of paper tickets was taken away from them ? last I checked they had adapted to ETs and they will no doubt adapt to this as well - old people aren't as inflexible or incapable as some younger people think  old 

LHR777

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:36 am

Plus the fact that BMI have been doing it for a while now and BA are just copying them....!

BestWestern

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 6):
Plus the fact that BMI have been doing it for a while now and BA are just copying them....!

Nope - BA are doing it right. They have checked, and double checked the software, and it works. It allows you to choose a seat on any fare. The BD software doesnt work properly yet. If you are travelling on anything less than a full Y ticket you cannot select your seat. Now that BA are happy moving forward, they can now roll it out fully, rather than the alfarsed BD attempt.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

babybus

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:59 am

I'm sure no one minds self service check-in as long as there is someone around to help out if things go wrong.

It's all done very quickly and you get to chose your very own seat.  thumbsup 
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

mhodgson

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:02 am

Quoting Babybus (Reply 8):
I'm sure no one minds self service check-in as long as there is someone around to help out if things go wrong.

There are always staff on hand, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm usually asked if I need help before I've even got to the stage of putting my card in (and hitting the buttons with the confidence of a frequent flyer  Smile )
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

BestWestern

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 9):
I'm usually asked if I need help before I've even got to the stage of putting my card in (and hitting the buttons with the confidence of a frequent flyer

I never use human check-in with BA because the online and airport system works. I never use self service with BD as the system is broken from a customer viewpoint (what matters) I don't want to sit in 26E so I choose a human to check me in.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

DavidT

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:16 am

When I flew AC YYC-YVR we could only use self service.

They're no problem.. don't you just put your card in, select number of bags, then go to the desk to drop them off?

mhodgson

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:22 am

I love self service - I can choose my own seat, and can choose one that will probably habe noone next to me (flew BA MAN-LGW-MAN, and chose the last row on the A319 as I reckoned - correctly - that people would want to be as close to the front as possible. At a normal check in desk, I'd specify a window, but would have no say in which side or the location unless I specifically ask.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

fbgdavidson

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:51 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 7):
Nope - BA are doing it right. They have checked, and double checked the software, and it works. It allows you to choose a seat on any fare. The BD software doesnt work properly yet. If you are travelling on anything less than a full Y ticket you cannot select your seat. Now that BA are happy moving forward, they can now roll it out fully, rather than the alfarsed BD attempt.

thumbsup  The BA OLCI has been in use for yonks now and while it certainly works 99% of the time it can be a bit flaky. I have heard that whole BA OLCI system is being redone some time in the next few months though.

As for the older generation, before BA started using Zone R at Terminal 1 I was hardpushed to go to a SSCI desk without being accosted by someone in uniform and being given the demo! A similar thing has happened at BCN even when I knew I couldn't use the kiosk and told the girl beforehand Big grin

Somehow I have more faith in BA getting this to work than I do BD!  Wink
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

A340600

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:46 am

Smart move by BA and I predict they will actually make it work, unlike another carrier I know Wink I find the staff plentiful at each airport I have used flying BA when using the Self-service and they're always offering you a hand, even when you don't need it Wink,

Cheers,

Sam Smile
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

SA7700

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:01 am

There are always staff on hand, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm usually asked if I need help before I've even got to the stage of putting my card in

What about pax who travel on sponsored tickets? I paid for my parents trip with my credit card and will not be travelling with them.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

foxecho

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:22 am

SA7700:

if its anything like my airlines system, it only reads the name off the card not the account number...so they should be able to check in with their cards.

Andrew
JFK/MEM/MCI
..uh, we'll need that to live......

SA7700

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:28 am

Quoting Foxecho (Reply 16):
if its anything like my airlines system, it only reads the name off the card not the account number...so they should be able to check in with their cards.

Thanks Foxecho. Otherwise I could try to check them in online...

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

anstar

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:40 am

Hmmm

Help will be in hand to help if they can;t manage!

There are always staff on hand, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm usually asked if I need help before I've even got to the stage of putting my card in (and hitting the buttons with the confidence of a frequent flyer )

My experience also. There has always been someone dedicated to the machines to make sure they were all working and help clueeless pax

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 15):

What about pax who travel on sponsored tickets? I paid for my parents trip with my credit card and will not be travelling with them.

If booking direct with the airline, they ask if the card holder is travelling at time of booking and it is noted. (At least on BA.com) not sure how it works with a TA, but im sure its not a problem (On Nigeria flights possibly, but this is UK dom only)

Rgds

SA7700

A319XFW

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:50 am

I must say, I do enjoy the self-service check-in. You can smirk at the people in the huge queue for the 'normal' check-in and breeze through.

The only concern I would have is that using self-service and internet check-in you can't choose the emergency exit seat, as the staff have to see if you are capably of operating the emergency exit.
How are they going to solve that?

tcxdegsy

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 19):
The only concern I would have is that using self-service and internet check-in you can't choose the emergency exit seat, as the staff have to see if you are capably of operating the emergency exit.
How are they going to solve that?

In my experience, available exit and bulkhead seats have been released for allocation when OLCI opens. With Fastdrop, the agent checks suitability for the exit/ bulkhead seats you have chosen, and the same at the gate, if you're travelling with handbaggage only.
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

A319XFW

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:04 am

Quoting TCXDegsy (Reply 20):
In my experience, available exit and bulkhead seats have been released for allocation when OLCI opens. With Fastdrop, the agent checks suitability for the exit/ bulkhead seats you have chosen, and the same at the gate, if you're travelling with handbaggage only.

I suppose they'll have to start juggling people around if the flight is full then.

My parents flew BA a few weeks ago and they couldn't book them when they checked-in online. So that will change I guess.

tcxdegsy

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:12 am

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 21):
My parents flew BA a few weeks ago and they couldn't book them when they checked-in online. So that will change I guess.

THey may not have been available if Gold/Platinum members got there first! I believe they have priority for them. If a skycot is needed, they are allocated to bulkhead seats too, so that can stop such seats becoming available when OLCI opens.

Any time checked-in online, I've made sure I've done it at exactly 24 hours ahead, to give me the best possible chance of getting the seat I want! (Remember, the new change only affects Domestics, on which seats are not re-selectable before check-in anyway).
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

A319XFW

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:21 am

[quote=TCXDegsy,reply=22]

Ah, yes - of course, they didn't fly domestic!

mhodgson

RE: BA UK Domestic - Self/Web Check-In Only From A

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting Foxecho (Reply 16):

Indeed - for a NCE-LGW flight I took, the card holder wasn't travelling with me. I input my own card, and was requested to back it up with more data - an entire list is given - I seem to recall there are 9 pieces of additional information you can provide, such as an ATB ticket, passport number etc. I just put in my flight number and was recognised.

SA7700

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:51 pm

Quoting ANstar (Reply 18):
If booking direct with the airline, they ask if the card holder is travelling at time of booking and it is noted. (At least on BA.com) not sure how it works with a TA, but im sure its not a problem (On Nigeria flights possibly, but this is UK dom only)

The tickets are booked through a travel agent. They fly SA from BFN-JNB-LHR and then BA domestic to EDI. Although BD is SA's "UK partner", I simply don't trust them anymore.

Rgds

SA7700

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:15 pm

Quoting Crosswind (Thread starter):
I always use online check-in where it's available as it saves time at the airport, but I've never thought self-service check-in was any faster than the traditional check-in - especially when you have hold luggage.

It is faster - have you ever seen a queue for a kiosk ? And bagdrop takes about 30 seconds, normally. BA's SSCI/OLCI is great, works very well and gives you lots of flexibility (although OLCI seems to be slow to catch on, cabin crew are still surprised to see a home-printed BP - they know what it is, but I get comments that they don't see them very often).

That said, I've problems a couple of times trying to use SSCI/OLCI on AA*/BA codeshare tickets, where the ticketed flight is AA but operated by BA - basically, it doesn't work, you have to go to the desk, which is a pain. Mind you, the same is true for UA*/LH tickets - LH SSCI doesn't work either. If they plan to roll this out seriously, they need to look at this.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ANother

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:18 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 26):
(although OLCI seems to be slow to catch on, cabin crew are still surprised to see a home-printed BP - they know what it is, but I get comments that they don't see them very often)

They need to tweak the home-printed BP a little. No need for it to be A4 size (they could get three connecting BPs on a single A4 sheet) and you are not supposed to fold it so that the bar codes are on a fold crease. Have it print so that BP itself is on 1/3 of the page and ask you to cut it (carefully) before you get to the gate.

chilledflyer

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:37 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 26):
That said, I've problems a couple of times trying to use SSCI/OLCI on AA*/BA codeshare tickets, where the ticketed flight is AA but operated by BA - basically, it doesn't work, you have to go to the desk, which is a pain. Mind you, the same is true for UA*/LH tickets - LH SSCI doesn't work either. If they plan to roll this out seriously, they need to look at this.

Very true indeed! Flew ZRH-LHR-HKG on CX codeshare. Check-in agent insisted I used SSCI even though I told them those machines would'nt work for codeshare flights! I actually had to go up to them and show them it wouldn't work. Oh well...at least I gave them the "i told you so" spiel!

--chilledflyer--
Justice delayed, Justice denied

wunala

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:52 pm

I like web check in. I am waiting for QF to introduce it. I used it for the first time a few weeks ago on a DJ flight, and loved being able to walk straight through and avoid the scrum.

On the way back the next day, I had a problem printing at the office. My boarding pass was printed in SYD and I was in BNE. I couldn't connect to the local printer!!! Someone faxed it up to me, and everything was cool.

ikramerica

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:56 pm

Quoting Airbus3801 (Reply 4):
I don't think that is an issue really! The self service kiosks are quite simple to use and the release says there will be "dedicated staff on hand".

It's how CO has been doing it for a while now at most airports. It means more people can check in at a time with a fewer number of staff members at the same time. Rather than 4-6 open positions at LAX, for example, there are 12+ kiosks and 3-4 CSRs there to tag bags, check IDs when needed and help with problems. I find check-in goes much faster, and the kiosks are very easy to use with big text and large touch screen buttons.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

BestWestern

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:22 pm

The DL webcheckin is superb also. Its so easy to use.