KLMA330
Topic Author

Q On Southwest And Jumpseat Riding

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:36 am

Hello,

Quick question... in a couple week's time, I'm flying Southwest from Tampa to Lauderdale (holly cheap!)... anyway, it happens to be the morning of my 32nd B-day, and I was wondering if staff at Southwest would look at me funny if I asked to be seated in the jumpseat, or see the cockpit (post 9/11 attitudes.. just not sure)... what do you guys think? I've never had a jumpseat ride.. would just LOVE one. Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day,
Billy  Smile

OPNLguy

RE: Q On Southwest And Jumpseat Riding

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Thread starter):
and I was wondering if staff at Southwest would look at me funny if I asked to be seated in the jumpseat, or see the cockpit

See the cockpit whilst on the ground? Probably not a problem, just ask a F/A or pilot.

Be seated in the cockpit jumpseat? Not a chance unless you are covered under FAR 121.547 as one of the select airline/industry/government entities that are authorized to ride up there, and unfortunately, birthdays don't qualify you. (But have a Happy Birthday anyways, OK?  Smile )
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

N766UA

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:06 am

They'd definately look at you funny. Unless you're a WN pilot, a deadheading pilot of another carrier, or an FAA inspector there's no chance you'll ever see a jumpseat.
This Website Censors Me

JRadier

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 2):
Unless you're a WN pilot, a deadheading pilot of another carrier, or an FAA inspector there's no chance you'll ever see a jumpseat.

a WN jumpseat that is. On this side of the Atlantic you just have to be very, very lucky!
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

IAHFLYR

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Thread starter):
was wondering if staff at Southwest would look at me funny if I asked to be seated in the jumpseat, or see the cockpit

Enjoy a happy birthday but I'd be quite careful of asking for a jumpseat because you may get a full view of the TSA in a way you don't want to. Not a question I'd ask at the airport.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

N766UA

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:12 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 3):
On this side of the Atlantic you just have to be very, very lucky!

Even Europe is tough, though. Besides AF it's my understanding that jumpseats are more or less off limits. Too bad, too, I would have liked to have jumpseated on my recent LH flight.
This Website Censors Me

FLAIRPORT

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:51 am

Well it's a good thing you asked here.

The problem is that it is not a post 9/11 attitude...it's a post 9/11 rule. Had you asked it, and they called the cops, just say your from canada and its your first time flyiyng in the US post 9/11 and you didn't know...although knowing the TSA, I don't know what would happen.

But do not ask! DO NOT ASK!! DO NOT ASK!!!
Sad what has happened, but Hillary '08 will save us!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

FutureFO

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:42 am

You will be able to see the flight deck on the ground, however WN is the king of the 20 minute turn so you may not even get a glimpse. There is only a couple of ways to sit up front be a WN pilot, be a crewmember in the CASS system, be an employee of the FAA or a Boeing representative.

Sean from MCO and SDF
I Don't know where I am anymore