deaphen

The Rush Of Taking Off!

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:16 am

Hi,
I am a crazy aviation enthusiast.. as i am sure we all are. I travel alot and love each and every second of it. Other than aviation, i love music and i have noticed that aviation and music makes an awesome combination. My latest love is to listen to "Smack My Bitch Up" by the Prodigy while taking off.

Its just the rush of the music added to the fact that you have HUGE powerplants pushing you forward at an insane rate. I mean u dont get power in any greater form than that.

I am currently in the process of adding music to the back grounds of the videos i have taken of take offs, from the cabin.

I wanna know does anyone else feel the sheer power of the massive engines and the insane sound and the feeling of thrust which makes your hair stand when the pilot lets go of those brakes and lets the beast go.

Your views please!
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

deaphen

RE: The Rush Of Taking Off!

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 am

ok to add to that quickly, taking off is rush number one... rush number two is definately being in this situation!!! hehe ( sorry for showing off.. am just hella proud of it! )

TheSorcerer

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:34 am

Sorry to "rain on your parade" but why are you listening to music on take off, AFAIK all airlines insist that you switch off your electrical equipment on take off. Or do you mean that you film them from outside and then add music while you edit them?
Hot Ride would be a good song as well  Wink
thanks
Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

deaphen

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 2):
Sorry to "rain on your parade" but why are you listening to music on take off, AFAIK all airlines insist that you switch off your electrical equipment on take off. Or do you mean that you film them from outside and then add music while you edit them?
Hot Ride would be a good song as well

I must admit, i do listen to music.. and i film the take off from the inside.. lol.. in violation of using electrical equipment..

I guess its just become a part of the flight for me dont even think about it twice before doing it!

And yes i plan on adding music later while editing the videos.

DLKAPA

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 2):
Sorry to "rain on your parade" but why are you listening to music on take off, AFAIK all airlines insist that you switch off your electrical equipment on take off.

That's why you wait till the f/a's sit down  Wink
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

atrude777

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:57 am

on the 757 with AA i listen to the music through the IFE system.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

ZakHH

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:39 am

I fully agree with you, Deaphen! I LOVE take-offs for the sheer feeling of power. I also like listening to powerful music on take-off, because take-offs and rock'n'roll just belong together!

And I usually make some photos or short vids, if the sight is okay. Here's my recent favs from our takeoff from MRU in December. Background song was "Aces High" by Iron Maiden...  cloudnine 

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5

And - yes, I do envy you for the A380 shot!
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

TheSorcerer

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 6):

What hotel were you staying at? i was staying at the jardin tropical in 2004, absolutely fantastic.

Deaphan, when i'm flying on friday i'll listen to smack my bitch up on my ABZ-LHR flight and Voodo people for my LHR-DUS flight.  Smile

Dominic

TinkerBelle

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:59 am

Sorry but I'm not much of a music person myself but if I was, I wouldn't be listening to music on takeoff. The DC-9 noise while taking off is waay better to listen to than any music. Don't even get me started on the whining 777 engine noise while taking off.

As for the A380 pic above, all I can say is 'lucky bastard'.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

ZakHH

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 7):
What hotel were you staying at?

Indian Resort in Le Morne. MRU is just  cloudnine  of a place...
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

deaphen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:51 am

Any more ideas? I would be uploading the videos as promised but i am a novice at editing.. so excuse any mistakes  Smile

gkirk

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:56 am

The best take-offs have to be on the 757-200  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

TheSorcerer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 9):

Yeah Mauritius is lovely, great scuba diving there as well. Hope you got one of the cheap Hawaiian shirts when you were in port Louis  Wink
Dominic

deaphen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 11):
The best take-offs have to be on the 757-200

Just been on a 757 once in my life... dont remember it too much... my fav. are the 777's and the 747's. They are just true raw power!

amazing!!

TinkerBelle

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:16 am

I gotta agree with you. A 757 thinks it's an F-16.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

gkirk

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 14):
I gotta agree with you. A 757 thinks it's an F-16.

An F-16 is crap compared to a 752  cool   Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

krisyyz

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:42 am

The most powerful take off I've experienced was on a very light B762er with GF 6s, I remember getting pushed back in my seat and I could feel the "G"s as full throttle was applied.

The least thrilling TO was on a A343, which felt like a slow moving bus going over a cliff.

KrisYYZ

Eirjet

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:47 am

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 3):
I must admit, i do listen to music.. and i film the take off from the inside.. lol.. in violation of using electrical equipment..

You details have being noted and passed onto the FAA  Smile  Smile  Smile

Eirjet
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

deaphen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting Eirjet (Reply 17):
You details have being noted and passed onto the FAA

bring it on... nothing is gonna tear the headphones away from my ears while taking off!! lol.

I remember 2 years ago i flew to SFO from DEL on SQ and thanks to flying with parents i got to fly J. And on the SIN to SFO (Via seoul), J class is right in front, ofcourse, since it is a 772ER. And we were flying extremely high, i am putting a pic of it here:

And all along i was staring at the engine just pump away and push us forward at an incredible rate. Flying westwards over the Pacific is also fun because you fly much faster due to the jet streams. Its just a crazy feeling to know you are being hurdled forward by the wind AND the ever so powerful powerplants!

PS: Am i breaking any forum rules by posting this topic?

[Edited 2006-03-22 18:02:04]

UAL747

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:01 am

The best take off I've ever had was on an ATR-72. Go figure?!?

It was an OKC-DFW flight. It seems as though the captain used a large portion of the runway exceeding the rotate speed, because when we rotated, se shot up like a rocket! Everyone on the plane goes, "WHOOOAAAA!" It was great. This was back in 1999 when I went to NRT on an exchange trip. For one guy, this was the first time he'd ever been on an airplane. I was seated next to him on the 777 from DFW to NRT and during take off he goes, "I don't like this!" I'm like, waahooo!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

b777a340fan

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 4):

Hmmm, sorry to rain on your parade and as enthusiastic as I am for your interest in aviation, I fail to see the humour in not following orders during take-offs. It is physically and scientifically proven that electronic devices can interfere with radio frequencies and can cause problems during take-offs/landings. So for the sake of other passengers on board, it would be great if you could experience those emotions without videotaping/recording. You keep playing with fire, one day you will get burnt.

[Edited 2006-03-22 18:06:31]

mhodgson

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:15 am

I love takeoff - from my first ever takeoff, in a Laker Airways DC-10, I knew I wanted to be a pilot!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

deaphen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 21):
I love takeoff - from my first ever takeoff, in a Laker Airways DC-10, I knew I wanted to be a pilot!

And i suppose u did become one??

deaphen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 20):
Hmmm, sorry to rain on your parade and as enthusiastic as I am for your interest in aviation, I fail to see the humour in not following orders during take-offs. It is physically and scientifically proven that electronic devices can interfere with radio frequencies and can cause problems during take-offs/landings. So for the sake of other passengers on board, it would be great if you could experience those emotions without videotaping/recording. You keep playing with fire, one day you will get burnt.

If i am not mistaken, it has been known and discussed on this site that the only reason you are asked to turn off all electricals and the lights are dimmed is because incase there is an emergency, you can react fast and hear instructions from the F/A's.

I agree, it would be stupid of me to be sitting with my cell phone on or rather using it while taking off or landing, because it could be harmful because of the cells being picked up and data being transferred. Similarly with a wi-fi laptop. But an ipod? or a disc man, IMO, i dont think that would really harm the plane. Expecially if its true that its only for quick reaction during an emergency.

I always feel that the authorities are over cautious, which i totally agree with, merely because they dont and cant cut any slack or take any chances. Hence, when the seat belt signs come on during turbulence or during the descent before landing, i have often seen people unbuckle themselves and get up infront of the F/A's.

Another such instance is on the same trip of mine to SFO, the F/A clearly saw me video taping the landing as she was seated in a place from which i was visible, and i got no warning. Similarly last month when i was on SQ again, the F/A saw me photographing and listening to music just before they were told to take their take off stations by the captain. And again, i wasnt told anything.

Thats the reason i feel its ok to listen to music or use my camera while taking off or landing, but am dead against doing stupid stuff like using a cell phone.

NeilYYZ

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 15):
An F-16 is crap compared to a 752

I love the 752 takeoff, every time I've been on one, full or empty, she still rockets down the runway  Smile
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

scoljet

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:52 am

The 752 is a truly awesome bird! However I was fortunate enough to get a quick trip on a Citation X here in Wichita, the pilot demonstrated a "max" performance takeoff and it was phenomenal!!!!

b777a340fan

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 24):
If i am not mistaken, it has been known and discussed on this site that the only reason you are asked to turn off all electricals and the lights are dimmed is because incase there is an emergency, you can react fast and hear instructions from the F/A's.

That is not the ONLY reason why electronic devices are asked to be turned off during landing/take-offs. Without getting into the physics of things, walkman/cell phones/CD-players/iPods/etc. can create interference with instruments used by pilots on board the airplane.

jetflyer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting Deaphen (Thread starter):
My latest love is to listen to "Smack My Bitch Up" by the Prodigy while taking off.

Get off those drugs.

[Edited 2006-03-22 20:05:55]

krisyyz

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:09 am

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 26):
Without getting into the physics of things, walkman/cell phones/CD-players/iPods/etc. can create interference with instruments used by pilots on board the airplane.

please do get into the physics, I don't understand how an MP3 player could interfere with the navigational or radio systems aboard an airliner. CD players, cell phones I can understand, because they omit a signal, but something that has no spinning disks or radio signals is harder to comprehend.

In comparison, I worked in a ICU for a while. There I did see cell phones cause problems with cardiac monitors as the leads on the patient picked up the signal and was displays on the ECG tracing. I never experienced a problem with CD players or MP3 player relating to the monitor.

KrisYYZ

pawsleykat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:10 am

I have to disagree with you there. The best take off I have expedienced was on an EK B777-300 (GLA-DXB). That or the VS A340-600 (LHR-HKG-SYD), I thought it was pretty powerful.

My latest love is to listen to "Smack My Bitch Up" by the Prodigy while taking off.

I like listening to Green Day's Basket Case on take off.

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

deaphen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting Jetflyer (Reply 27):
Get off those drugs.

Lol, well since u have brought that up now, i am DEAD against drugs. And its rather unnerving to think u could say something like that.

Let me enlighten you to the new world of enjoying "drug" music while not using drugs! Well maybe its quite unknown to u.  Wink

bphendri

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 23):
I agree, it would be stupid of me to be sitting with my cell phone on or rather using it while taking off or landing, because it could be harmful because of the cells being picked up and data being transferred. Similarly with a wi-fi laptop. But an ipod? or a disc man, IMO, i dont think that would really harm the plane. Expecially if its true that its only for quick reaction during an emergenc

As a licensed amateur radio operator, you would be surprised how a little stray radio frequency, will cause interference, especially on AM (Which avation VHF uses).

Any electronic device unless properrly sheilded will create radio interference either from the crystal ocillators in an computer, ipod, etc., or from it's build in amplifier circuits. Also if a device is has loose, or corroded componates it could create an electrical spark, which can be picked up on a reciever, or cause harmfull interference with the sensitive ILS equipment (Rememeber the first radio signal Marconi sent was using a spark gap transmitter.)

Why take the chance? Just because many people speed, or you speed everyday but don't get caught if you cause a serious accident, or injure someone, your still responsible and you where still breaking the law, even if everyone else around you was going over the speed limmit, or an officer didn't pull you over.

superhub

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:18 am

And the 767s. I am always amazed that these "heavies" can take off on SFO's 1L and R, especially those on transcons.

[Edited 2006-03-22 20:18:40]

andz

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:18 am

My favourite take off is a 744, especially at night from JNB. The thrust and the sound and the ground rushing by ever faster, the terminal passes by as you hurtle headlong towards the highway at the end of 03L, as the cargo terminal passes you think "omigod we're not going to make it"... then rotate... thump-thump r-r-r-r-r-r from the gear, and then the power climb, banking out and watching the city lights, the feeling of relaxation as the ground speed and altitude numbers continue to increase on the display... LHR here we come!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

deaphen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting Bphendri (Reply 31):
As a licensed amateur radio operator, you would be surprised how a little stray radio frequency, will cause interference, especially on AM (Which avation VHF uses).

Any electronic device unless properrly sheilded will create radio interference either from the crystal ocillators in an computer, ipod, etc., or from it's build in amplifier circuits. Also if a device is has loose, or corroded componates it could create an electrical spark, which can be picked up on a reciever, or cause harmfull interference with the sensitive ILS equipment (Rememeber the first radio signal Marconi sent was using a spark gap transmitter.)

Why take the chance? Just because many people speed, or you speed everyday but don't get caught if you cause a serious accident, or injure someone, your still responsible and you where still breaking the law, even if everyone else around you was going over the speed limmit, or an officer didn't pull you over.

Hey thanks for your information, i honestly had no clue about that. I will be careful on my future flights.
I have one question though, what are the chances of say i am using my ipod while take off and it causes SERIOUS problems that the aircraft gets to the point of being dangerous?
And secondly, are these interferences serious? i mean can they result in bringing a plane down?

Thanks

deaphen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:26 am

Hey i found another pic which gives me quite a rush. Its the IFE on SQ while in a jet stream heading to SFO. It reads 1035 and accoring to a converter i found online it converts to Mach 0.97. Can anyone confirm this conversion?

I used : http://www.globalaircraft.org/converter.htm

mhodgson

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:51 am

I prefer the noise of the engines, personally!

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 22):
And i suppose u did become one??

Eventually - starting training later this year.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

okelleynyc

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting Bphendri (Reply 31):

Absolutely correct!

While AC use shielded wiring harnesses and the chances of interference are slim, there's always a chance that a frequency spike could occur, especially from non Class C devices.

Also, since new electronic gadgets and gizmos are constantly being introduced to the market, it would be cost prohibitive to test for every combination and possible source of electronic radiation. In otherwords, the airliners are being safe rather than being sorry....
Just give me my Vario, my Ozone Mojo and a gorgeous day of soaring.

superhub

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:55 am

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 35):
Hey i found another pic which gives me quite a rush. Its the IFE on SQ while in a jet stream heading to SFO. It reads 1035 and accoring to a converter i found online it converts to Mach 0.97. Can anyone confirm this conversion?

Yes it is probably the right conversion. But bear in mind this is ground speed, not air speed. The air speed would still be around 0.83-0.85 Mach.

deaphen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting Superhub (Reply 38):
Yes it is probably the right conversion. But bear in mind this is ground speed, not air speed. The air speed would still be around 0.83-0.85 Mach.

Thanks.. please just take a look at the website where i converted it.It apparently takes into consideration height. I mean it asked me wether it was FL40 or FL30

AlexPorter

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:01 am

My best takeoff was on a half-full Northwest 752 from DCA to MSP in 2003. We got altitude so fast that I remember looking down at the Pentagon, which seemed pretty small (due to perspective), even though it is right next to DCA!
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

superhub

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 39):
Thanks.. please just take a look at the website where i converted it.It apparently takes into consideration height. I mean it asked me wether it was FL40 or FL30

I am not entirely sure whether I am correct on this, but even with the consideration of height, I think the website does the conversion in airspeed rather than groundspeed.

So at 40000 feet, your airspeed needs to be at 657mph (1065km/h) to be at Mach 1. I am pretty sure this is the case. I have been on a CX flight where the ground speed reached 704mph at 37000 feet. If 657mph ground speed means Mach 1, then the B744 I was in would have been doing supersonic and I would have heard a loud boom. But the B744 would probably have broken up well before that.

[Edited 2006-03-22 21:10:18]

deaphen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting Superhub (Reply 41):
the B744 I was in would have been doing supersonic and I would have heard a loud boom

Thats really interesting. Another fact, if u were to break the sound barrier, you would not hear the supersonic boom. Its a fact, people in the concorde never would hear anything, but peopl eon the ground/sea could.

BigMac

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 6):
also like listening to powerful music on take-off, because take-offs and rock'n'roll just belong together!

Why on earth would you want to mute the sound of those powerful engines on take-off? Do you prefer your music to those of powerful engines spooling up? I don't get it...

On another note... Here are 2 take-off videos of mine from inside the cabin of a 777 (obviously my favorite aircraft). One is a week old, the other about a year old. Notice the insane adrenaline pumping sound of those engines spooling up. Also note that the engines sound different because of the different locations the videos were made.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/search_videos.php?videographer=Gavin+S

So turn UP your VOLUME!
To fly, or not to fly: that is the question

superhub

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 42):
Another fact, if u were to break the sound barrier, you would not hear the supersonic boom. Its a fact, people in the concorde never would hear anything, but peopl eon the ground/sea could.

Oh, I never knew that. You could tell I have never been in a Concorde  Smile

baguy

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:28 am

My favourite take-off was in an A321 from FAO, at the end of the runway there are huge wet fields, upon taking off combining that and the force of the engines can make it, really quite scary!

fbgdavidson

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Superhub (Reply 41):
If 657mph ground speed means Mach 1, then the B744 I was in would have been doing supersonic and I would have heard a loud boom. But the B744 would probably have broken up well before that.

You'd be going faster than the shock wave so wouldn't hear anything.

On a recent flight on a 747 I got a rather good video of the takeoff. Should have put the lights on around my seat but you can hear the sound of the RB-211s working pretty hard on takeoff as well as the undercarriage retracting at the end  Smile

Now if only my camera had the same function when I flew on Concorde  Sad Makes even the 757 look a bit pedestrian, and found it funny my seat neighbour found his copy of the FT more interesting Big grin

Editted to say:
Found a video an acquaintance of mine took onboard Concorde a few years ago:
http://charlesmd.web.aplus.net/TripReports/Concorde/Takeoff.MOV
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

jetflyer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 30):
Let me enlighten you to the new world of enjoying "drug" music while not using drugs! Well maybe its quite unknown to u. Wink

Hmmm maybe its just where I live. Great to know you're dead against drugs. Enjoy those takeoffs to your drug music  Smile

KELPkid

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:34 am

There I'd disagree...nothing slammed you into the seat quite like a JT8D powered 737-200 would. The later CFM versions just don't accelerate as quickly on the ground roll.
 wideeyed 

Although it probably doesn't climb as steep as the 757-200 does...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Gr8Circle

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:53 am

I wanna know does anyone else feel the sheer power of the massive engines and the insane sound and the feeling of thrust which makes your hair stand when the pilot lets go of those brakes and lets the beast go.

Hi,

Yes, the sound of engines revving up at the start of take off roll has always given me a high....the next best thing I like is the sound of thrust reversers, although that's also a sad sound as it often means the end of the journey  smile 

I used to think I was a bit crazy, being so enamoured of these aspects of flying, but after joining a.net, I realised (to my relief) that I'm not alone....