ATLFlyer323
Topic Author

So Whats The News With The "new" Olympic?

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:16 am

I was just wondering if any of my fellow A.Netters could fill me in on the how Olympic or the "new" Olympic is doing. I remember hearing somewhere they were going to stop the A340 routes and try and downsize but so far there still going and they brought back the A300! Is this still the old Olympic and if so do any of you think the "new" Olympic will survive?

Please don't flame me I am just asking.

Thanks,
Brandon
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

WesternA318

RE: So Whats The News With The "new" Olympic?

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:27 am

I don't know how long OA will survive. Aegean stopped looking at them as a serious competitor way back in 2003, and DL and Homeric Tours is giving them a beating during the summer on the JFK-ATH routes. Can't wait to see what happens when Homeric unleashes their A330-200's on the route in 2008 though, OA wouldn't stand a chance.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

GCDEG

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:49 am

Well I'm not certain on passenger figures but when I was in Athens airport last week the OA domestic checkin was mobbed. Not sure about the international routes but certainly the London routes are almost always full. When I flew both the A340 and A300 to and from ATH to LHR and both were full. From what I can remember I don't recall the A300 ever leaving the fleet I think the majority of them were phased out leaving the sole one operating today. Certainly the domestic routes are vital as they are the only airlink to ATH in the case of certain remote islands and would guess some of them are operated as a public service airlink, although Aegean has certainly given them a run for their money on some routes and will probably get worse as they get their A320s. They were rebranded as Olympic "Airlines" from Airways and believe it's the same old airline but under a different name. There was some talk that a new airline would be formed under private ownership and a new name but I'll believe that when I see it. As for whether it will survive or not only time will tell but I don't think it should be allowed to fold as Greece deserves a flag carrier it can be proud of. Personally the times I flew with Olympic were fine no major faults but I always wished they could be better and I feel for all its employees not knowing what the future holds.

Nick
The best thing invented - Winglets!

WesternA318

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:53 am

When I flew Aegean last year from FCO to ATH and IOA, I thought it was MILES above my exprience on OA in 2004 from JFK-ATH.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos