Topic Author

Allegiant Adds FAT To LAS On Wednesdays

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:15 am

Allegiant Adds FAT To LAS On Wednesdays

http://www.allegiantair.com/pr/032306.htm

FATFlyer

RE: Allegiant Adds FAT To LAS On Wednesdays

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:31 pm

The schedule was dropped to 4 days a week from 5 in January.

That didn't surprise me since passenger counts dip in Fresno during the first 2 or 3 months of the year. The 20 or 30 days of thick fog we get that time of year causes many people to not fly.

So this is just a return to the old schedule.

But it's interesting that marketing put out a release saying the schedule was going back up. Since both Skywest and US/HP have had recent media announcements about increasing their seats on FAT-LAS, G4 marketing must have wanted some of the same publicity.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

QXatFAT

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:45 pm

Like I said in another thread, I do not see G4 lasting in this market. US/HP are taking these loads from FAT to LAS. With HP bringing in the A319 to carry more pax, I bet to see the flights just going up for them. Most people I know and talk with want to fly the A319/737 style planes. Will it have much to do with the travel? Maybe not but G4, I am sorry, I dont think this will last much at all. Once the $49 flights are gone, so are your pax.
Don't Tread On Me!

FATFlyer

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 2):
I do not see G4 lasting in this market.

They've lasted pretty good so far. I don't see that changing.

Founded in Fresno, they've run the FAT-LAS flights since about 1998 or 99, longer than anyone else has ever lasted on the route. FAT-LAS was the only route G4 kept when they filed Bankruptcy in 2000.

G4 CEO Maurice Gallagher was one of the 4 founders of what became AirTran, he also was in Sr. Mgmt at other airlines. He and some of the others involved at Allegiant have a history of successfully competing against larger airlines. So they may surprise you.

There are also some things in the planning stages at Allegiant for the next year that intrigue me. No comment now because I don't know what they are going to decide but it could lead to an even stronger airline.

The one that surprises me is UAX on FAT-LAS still growning, and I have a lot of UA miles. Adding a 4th flight Brasilia to compete against jets is interesting. Most people I know don't book UAX on the route unless they want to earn or use UA miles because of the turboprops. But I have heard UA/UAX is using Fresno to reroute passengers who miss flights between LAS and both LAX and SFO. So it may have something to do with that.

FATFlyer

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:54 am

Oh Rick or Jeb,

You might pass it on to marketing that this PR worked. They got an article in today's newspaper on page 3 in the business section
http://www.fresnobee.com/business/story/11970257p-12733403c.html
and I saw a story on the local ABC affiliate news last night.

All that for the addition of 1 frequency, amazing.

Humberside

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:49 am

Do UAX codeshare with US/HP on the FAT-LAS route?

Perhaps this is a silly idea, but would G4 ever consider twice daily FAT-LAS service aimed at business passengers as well as their traditional leisure passengers?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

WMUPilot

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:29 am

How is G4 doing? I recently had a G4 Flight Attendant jumpseat on a JFK-ROC flight and was going to ask her how the company was doing but I never got the chance to.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

FATFlyer

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:42 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 5):
Do UAX codeshare with US/HP on the FAT-LAS route?

No, they operate competing services. The FAT-LAS schedules as of April 2 will look like this:
Allegiant - 1 RT - 4 days a week (goes to 5 on May 24)
HP/US - 2 RTs (1 A319 and 1 CR9) mainline will be daily daily and HPX 6 days a week
UAX - 4RTs (all Brasilias) starting in May they will all be daily

Quoting Humberside (Reply 5):
Perhaps this is a silly idea, but would G4 ever consider twice daily FAT-LAS service aimed at business passengers

The current business plan relies on selling vacation packages for a large chunk of the revenue. So increasing the proportion of travellers buying only a ticket might require taking a different look at revenue management.

Quoting WMUPilot (Reply 6):
How is G4 doing?

Still growing with more aircraft coming this year. Since they are a privately owned airline the financial data is harder to get since it is released by the BTS not the SEC, 4th quarter is due out in May. But they were profitable for the first 3 quarters of 2005.

WMUPilot

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:11 am

Good to hear they are growing and still profitable!! They always seemed to have a wierd operation, in my opinion. But if they can be profitable with what they are doing then more power to them!!
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

iowaman

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting WMUPilot (Reply 8):
They always seemed to have a wierd operation, in my opinion. But if they can be profitable with what they are doing then more power to them!!

May be weird, but clever:

- Flying routes with limited/no competition (FAT is one of the few where they compete)
- Cheap fares create demand, thus being able to fill an MD-80 a couple/few times weekly.
- Vacation packages to a very popular destination
- Mainline non-stop service to LAS

QXatFAT

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:44 am

Do you see them upgradeing from these 80's and buying something else? 737's, Q400's, anything. These 80's are getting pretty old arnt they?
Don't Tread On Me!

iowaman

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:03 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 10):
Do you see them upgradeing from these 80's and buying something else? 737's, Q400's, anything. These 80's are getting pretty old arnt they?

Nope, they are getting second hand MD-80's cheap, and one fleet type simplifies everything. No need to get anything else.

atcrick

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 10):
These 80's are getting pretty old arnt they?

Not in airplane years. All of these aircraft are between 15 and 20 years old and maintained quite well.
natch!!