jumbojet

Delta Pilots To Stage 'Practice Strike'

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:31 am

Yes, Another Delta strike Topic, ughhh OK, so DALPA has bought billboard space advertising, 'Delta, the end is near?' and now Delta pilots are going to stage a practice strike with several hundres pilots expected to stage this strike inside ATL. I understand a lot of you will say its just posturing on the part of DALPA to use as leverage. I must admit, it adds to the overall drama of this DL soap opera that we've been chatting about and that's been playing out over the last several weeks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060324/ap_on_bi_ge/delta_pilots_5

[Edited 2006-03-24 22:38:24]

jumbojet

RE: Delta Pilots To Stage 'Practice Strike'

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:34 am

A quote from the article" "The pilots also will get information on the communications that would be set up in the event of an actual strike, Collins said."

and what would this entail? to go ahead and apply for unemployment and food stamps? The minute they strike, goodbye Delta.  Sad

quickmover

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:39 am

I know they are saying it is only a practice strike, but practice or not, this sure won't help forward bookings.

FLAIRPORT

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:39 am

What the hell is a PRACTICE strike? A strikes a strike!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

ptcflyer

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:48 am

Pilot Strike Directions: Practice Makes Perfect.

In the event of an eventual strike.....

Place your hands on the stick above your head
And wave the "Delta Mgmt S**ks" sign back and forth wildly.

While they are at it... they should probably go ahead and have practice group resume writing sessions.....

DL787932ER

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:49 am

Trying to scare away paying customers, antagonizing your employer, and generally making the pilots look petty and foolish isn't exactly most people's idea of good-faith negotiation on the part of DALPA. Didn't the arbitrator's speech this morning scare any sense into anyone?
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

jumbojet

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 5):
Didn't the arbitrator's speech this morning scare any sense into anyone?

That's what annoys and bugs me the most. Just yesterday the arbitrators, using very strong words, stongly recommended the two sides come to an agreement, and then this is the 1st comment from DALPA. Very quickly losing any sympathy for these pilots.

[Edited 2006-03-24 23:04:32]

worldtraveler

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:04 am

They apparently didn't listen to the tongue lashing that the arbitrators gave both sides at the conclusion of the hearing. They basically said you both need to get a deal done and failure is not an option. PERIOD.

SLCUT2777

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:06 am

Trying to scare away paying customers, antagonizing your employer, and generally making the pilots look petty and foolish isn't exactly most people's idea of good-faith negotiation on the part of DALPA. Didn't the arbitrator's speech this morning scare any sense into anyone?

Talking about shooting yourself in the foot. Revenue drops from such union posturing, Management merely tightens their resolve. DALPA-IDIOTS!!!
 Angry
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

symphonik

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:07 am

Hey guys, I'm going to go take a practice dump now. Seems just about as useful as a practice strike.  Yeah sure

jumbojet

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting Symphonik (Reply 9):
Hey guys, I'm going to go take a practice dump now. Seems just about as useful as a practice strike.

LOL

Delta pilots better have the utmost confidence and trust in their union leadership because this is taking two steps back and to be honest with you, if I was walking through ATL and saw this, how would I know whether this was a strike or a practice strike? They have got to be kidding me. This has to be the most stupidest thing I ever heard of. I wish there was a way to write DALPA an e mail or a letter. Delta is easy to do.

[Edited 2006-03-24 23:15:23]

panamair

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:20 am

This really does show the idiocy and lunacy of DALPA. Is there really a need to 'practice' something that will last no more than a few hours? Because if these guys walk, DL WILL shut down and they'll be walking straight to the unemployment office...

MrMcCoy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:20 am

Quoting Symphonik (Reply 9):
Hey guys, I'm going to go take a practice dump now. Seems just about as useful as a practice strike.

I know we are all adults here (mostly), but I put my brain under my chair for this comment and almost pased out from laughter!  Smile Smile
It only takes five years to go from rumor to standard operating procedure.

supa7E7

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:21 am

This is great news for AirTran!
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

jumbojet

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting Jumbojet (Reply 10):
I wish there was a way to write DALPA an e mail or a letter.

I answered my own question

http://www.alpa.org/?tabid=82

HVNandrew

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:48 am

Lolz. Striking here would be like quitting, except they're taking every other DL employee down with them. Good move.

Evan767

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 13):

Yeah sure

DALPA is the worst possible thing that has ever happened to Delta and should have never happened in the first place. I cannot believe the nerve of these pilots, as well as their stupidity.

TO ALL DELTA PILOTS:
You know if you strike you will put the company out of business. Now think about this for a moment. You will put YOURSELF out of a job that pays tens of thousands each year along with decent benefits and excellent flight benefits. You are also putting your fellow employees out of business. That is 50,000+ employees out of business. How cold-hearted can one group of people be?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

letsgetwet

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Quoting Jumbojet (Reply 1):
and what would this entail? to go ahead and apply for unemployment and food stamps? The minute they strike, goodbye Delta.

Strikers are not eligible for unemployment benefits.

WesternA318

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting Jumbojet (Thread starter):
Yes, Another Delta strike Topic, ughhh OK, so DALPA has bought billboard space advertising, 'Delta, the end is near?' and now Delta pilots are going to stage a practice strike with several hundres pilots expected to stage this strike inside ATL

*Sigh* What ever happened to people WANTING to go to work for a paycheck?

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 3):
What the hell is a PRACTICE strike? A strikes a strike!

Amen, I can't wait to see how this affects my AirTran shares...

Trying to scare away paying customers, antagonizing your employer, and generally making the pilots look petty and foolish isn't exactly most people's idea of good-faith negotiation on the part of DALPA.

LOL, but whining BMW-driving DL pilots dont really care do they?

Quoting Jumbojet (Reply 6):
Very quickly losing any sympathy for these pilots.

My sympathy went out the window when the arbitrators came in. If the two sides can't be civilized and adult about the mess, then DL Pilots need a change of thinking, or a new union...

Quoting Panamair (Reply 11):
Because if these guys walk, DL WILL shut down and they'll be walking straight to the unemployment office...

*lines up at CO and FL ticket counters*

Amen, and I'm all set to buy another 950 shares on Monday.

Quoting HVNandrew (Reply 15):
Lolz. Striking here would be like quitting, except they're taking every other DL employee down with them. Good move.

As good a move as driving blindfolded in Manhattan...
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

Cory6188

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:07 am

I think that many of you who are critcizing the pilots are missing a rather important fact...

Let me preface this by saying that I think that DALPA is being rather unprofessional here, and I do not applaud them for it, but hey - they'll do what they want to get their message across. Many of you have criticized the pilots for saying that they will be walking away from a salary that is tens of thousands of dollars and hurting other employees in the process.

The thing is, it's all relative. DL pilots have been subjected to a ton of crap in past years, and irregardless of how much they are making, they still have the right to complain as they please about it. Let's say that you're making a million dollars per year, but your management sucks and they're cutting your wages left and right because they can't get their act together financially, and you get to a point where they want to cut you down to $500,000 per year, you have the right to be mad about it. Yeah, $500K is still one hefty salary, and most would be glad to have it, but that doesn't mean that you don't have the right to complain, especially considering that it is half of what you had previously been taking home.

It's all relative, and while they might end up losing their jobs, you come to a point where enough is enough, regardless of how "high" your salary might be. I can't blame them for their actions. It's a shame that they may be the reason that the company ends up shutting down, but hey - if that's what they want, they can make it happen...

art

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:11 am

Can't they take both sides somewhere, lock them in and tell them the only way out again will be to brandish an agreement signed by both sides?

Worked at Dayton (was Dayton, wasn't it?) to force the belligerents in Bosnia to reach a peace agreement.

nudelhirsch

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:16 am

How about a practice "Delta Final Nail in Coffin"? Or how about practice firings? I would love to do that as a CEO... Call in the folks and practice-fire them so that they are prepared for the day the airline completely shuts down...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

TL8490

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:34 am

A few points....

If you want to change your place in life or do better, find a job that you think will allow for growth and more income.....dont close the company....others also depend on that income and will have no choice but to deal with your decisions.....

As a hiring manager in another industry I would NEVER hire a former DELTA PILOT...and I hope everyone else in my position takes the same approach...and maybe can relate that to them personally.....

WesternA318

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:42 am

Quoting TL8490 (Reply 22):
As a hiring manager in another industry I would NEVER hire a former DELTA PILOT...and I hope everyone else in my position takes the same approach...and maybe can relate that to them personally.....

Might wanna add the NW/EA mechanics along with them, lol. I would never dream of hiring such a bunch of losers.

MattRB

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:00 am

Quoting Jumbojet (Thread starter):
Delta Pilots To Stage 'Practice Strike'

Should read 'Delta Pilots To Slit Own Throats'

Great news to read considering I'll be flying with them in the next two weeks.. or maybe not now..

Just absolutely ludicrious.. is there a pair of firing neurons among them? Guess not since they're pulling this crap.

Way to destabilize your company further, DALPA
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

N766UA

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:08 am

They need to add a 3rd line to those picket signs:

Our Demise!
This Website Censors Me

gift4tbone

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting Ptcflyer (Reply 4):
While they are at it... they should probably go ahead and have practice group resume writing sessions.....

I agree, thats what they will need to do if they keep up this foolishness.

Quoting Jumbojet (Reply 6):
Very quickly losing any sympathy for these pilots.

I had some, becuase I understand taking a paycut hurts, but now I could care less.

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 17):
Strikers are not eligible for unemployment benefits.

Thank God!!! They don't deserve it.

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 19):
Yeah, $500K is still one hefty salary, and most would be glad to have it, but that doesn't mean that you don't have the right to complain, especially considering that it is half of what you had previously been taking home.

Yes, to complain is one thing. Either take the amount DL's offering, or loose your job, cause thousands of others to loose theirs, and TRY to get a job at another airline making $25k/yr, starting from the bottom AGAIN! Hum? If I was a DL pilot which would I choose?

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

skibum9

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:16 am

Quoting Jumbojet (Reply 1):
and what would this entail? to go ahead and apply for unemployment and food stamps?

Seriously though, if the pilots strike, they are not eligible for unemployment benefits or foodstamps as they "volutarily" left their jobs. They were not furloughed or laid-off, which would enable them to claim unemployment.
Tailwinds!!!

reyes27

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:16 am

The thing is, it's all relative. DL pilots have been subjected to a ton of crap in past years, and irregardless of how much they are making, they still have the right to complain as they please about it. Let's say that you're making a million dollars per year, but your management sucks and they're cutting your wages left and right because they can't get their act together financially, and you get to a point where they want to cut you down to $500,000 per year, you have the right to be mad about it. Yeah, $500K is still one hefty salary, and most would be glad to have it, but that doesn't mean that you don't have the right to complain, especially considering that it is half of what you had previously been taking home.

In the immortal words of Patrick Ewing (paraphrasing), "...sure we make alot of many, but we also spend alot of money too"

Jerseyguy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Reyes27 (Reply 28):
Yeah, $500K is still one hefty salary, and most would be glad to have it, but that doesn't mean that you don't have the right to complain, especially considering that it is half of what you had previously been taking home.

$500,000 > $0
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

jumbojet

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:51 am

and you get to a point where they want to cut you down to $500,000 per year, you have the right to be mad about it.

If there that unhappy with the current state of affairs at Delta, then let them quit and find a new job and allow the rest of DL employees to bring home a paycheck to support their families.

Quoting Nudelhirsch (Reply 21):
How about a practice "Delta Final Nail in Coffin"? Or how about practice firings? I would love to do that as a CEO... Call in the folks and practice-fire them so that they are prepared for the day the airline completely shuts down...

Could you imagine DALPA'S stance if they did that? What's good for the goose isnt always good for the gander.

ptharris

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:53 am

DL pilots have been subjected to a ton of crap in past years, and irregardless of how much they are making, they still have the right to complain as they please about it.

First off, striking and complaining are two very different actions. One is just words. The other is just short of smacking everyone in management. I don't disagree they have a complaint to air, but damn... don't burn the city down because you're pissed. Hmm.. according to the pay scale, they bottom out as a Captain at $123 an hour with a guarentee hour package at around 65 hours or so. Tops out at $186 an hour on the 777 side. So, say you make your 65 hours for some reason. Most captains don't push it all that hard, but just use it as an example. If you're a first year captain for Delta, you're pushing $7,995.00 a month. $95,940 a year. And that's a first year captain! Hell, that's pretty fine pay if you ask me. They need to quit bitching about money and whining about the other airlines and what they pay. (But mommy... I want the red one.. he has the red one. Why do I have the blue one... I want the red one now!! NOW! NOW! NOW! ) Time to trade that Mercedes in for a Honda Accord or maybe a nice used Cadillac?

I dare anyone here to stand at their local airport just in eyesight of the striking pilots holding a sign that says "You're watching your jobs end. What will you have to show after that?" Seems they are more concerned about how much money they have rather than what they need to do. 6,470 pilots and not a one of them wise enough to see the wall up ahead. Too bad.

Edited for a spelling error.

[Edited 2006-03-25 01:56:14]
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

lastordu

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:00 am

As a one day pilot I can see what there thinking. But on that same note you work your ass off to get where your at and you'll just put it in the pooper because you don't want a paycut. I also just got a job working for DL as a ramp worker and all I have to say is F&%*IN PILOTS.
"Remember, Remember the 5th of November" from V for Vendetta

WesternA318

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:13 am

Quoting Ptharris (Reply 31):
Time to trade that Mercedes in for a Honda Accord or maybe a nice used Cadillac?

I would think DL pilots like bikes...how bout slightly used Vespas?
DL Pilots - Idiots coming out of the woodwork.

jumbojet

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting Lastordu (Reply 32):
I also just got a job working for DL as a ramp worker and all I have to say is F&%*IN PILOTS.

I guess due to the large # of other employees bailing out there are job openings. No other airlines were hiring huh?

I used to be a huge delta loyalist but finding it hard to support anything nowadays. I think I would rather give my money to CO at this point in time.

lastordu

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:22 am

Quoting Jumbojet (Reply 34):
I guess due to the large # of other employees bailing out there are job openings. No other airlines were hiring huh?

I gess, I went and asked if there were hireing. They said yeah and I filled out a app and got the job. And the frickin pilots I shouldn't have said that, sorry.

[Edited 2006-03-25 02:24:01]

[Edited 2006-03-25 02:24:44]
"Remember, Remember the 5th of November" from V for Vendetta

MarkATL

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:50 am

Maybe, but what if they're replaced by a more aggressive major?

I for one think it's time to get into the foreclosure real estate business in Peachtree City. Anyone looking for a good deal on a used golf cart?
"...left my home in Georgia, 'n headed for the "Frisco" Bay...

jc2354

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:05 am

Bravo Cory!

I think that many of you who are critcizing the pilots are missing a rather important fact...

A Time magazine article back in February (read it a month later at the dentist office), the president of Boeing was interviewed and he stated that they didn't expect many orders from the American airlines because of their financial condition caused by high labor costs.

And, therein lies the problem. What about bad management? It was, afterall, management who caved and gave the pilots their salary demands. It was management who gave themselves ridiculous golden parachutes. It was management who invested large amounts into an "airline within an airline". It is management who treats employees as a liability and not an asset. A company has too many choices ONLY if they become excuses for failing to choose, commit, and grow. Blame high labor, blame fuel costs, blame 9/11, blame low fares. But, don't blame bad management and bad decisions.

I say, management, take a huge pay cut! Give yourself a huge paycut, and the rest of your salary will be based on performance. Now, there's an incentive for good management. Maybe, pay him $50 an hour, make him punch a timeclock, make him fly in coach instead of denying a paying passenger a seat up front.

You get what you give. Perhaps if the pilots (and other employees) had been, and were, treated with respect and dignity this situation wouldn't exist.
If not now, then when?

Venezuela747

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:40 am

So I am scheduled to fly DL into ATL on Sunday morning, and it is kinda necessary that I make it into ATL by noon (my flight lands at 11:47am)...so what the deal should I be freaking out?
ROLL TIDE!!!

ikramerica

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:45 am

Quoting Reyes27 (Reply 28):
In the immortal words of Patrick Ewing (paraphrasing), "...sure we make alot of many, but we also spend alot of money too"

I like Charles Barkley's line:

(Paraphrased)

He said: "My Mom asked how he could vote republican, since they are all about helping the rich. And I told her 'Ma, I AM the rich!'"

Smile
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

WesternA318

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:19 pm

I think I would rather give my money to CO at this point in time.

Come on over, I think you'll like the way we fly!

Quoting MarkATL (Reply 36):
Anyone looking for a good deal on a used golf cart?

LMAO< newp, but I'll put a bid down for those shabby MD-90's and 737-300's in the corner over there...

B777-700

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:27 pm

If I see them, maybe I should find a bag of apples "practice" my fastball in their general direction.

...and to do it inside ATL, right in the faces of all the other employees that will have to deal with the passengers. Taunting them with their jobs. Classy.

What a bunch of children. I'm telling you, if they strike for real, there's gonna be a riot in ATL.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

georgiaame

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:51 pm

Another thing for the pilots to practice:

Repeat after me, firmly, and with authority: "Would you like fries with that burger, ma'am?"
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

jumbojet

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:55 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 40):
I think I would rather give my money to CO at this point in time.

Come on over, I think you'll like the way we fly!

Maybe I will, and to help me decide, question for you all. I booked JFK to KUL on Delta.com and will be flying on KE. Can I request the miles be put on my CO one pass account? and if so, will I get medallion miles credit for the flight? all segments are booked in Delta Q class fare.

WesternA318

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:00 pm

Quoting Jumbojet (Reply 43):
Can I request the miles be put on my CO one pass account? and if so, will I get medallion miles credit for the flight? all segments are booked in Delta Q class fare.

If the miles are put on the Onepass account, you wont get Medallion Mile Credit, you'll Get Elite Mileage.

jumbojet

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:07 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 44):
If the miles are put on the Onepass account, you wont get Medallion Mile Credit, you'll Get Elite Mileage.

Oops, sorry. I assume elite mileage is the CO program? Any idea how many elite miles I get?

WesternA318

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Quoting Jumbojet (Reply 45):
Any idea how many elite miles I get?

I don't know about the non-elite members flying on SkyTeam partners, but I'll root around and see if I can find out...

jumbojet

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 46):
I don't know about the non-elite members flying on SkyTeam partners, but I'll root around and see if I can find out...

I checked out continental.com but couldnt find any information if the flight was booked on delta and flown on a codeshare airline. thanks for checking

ckfred

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:39 pm

If the Delta pilots do go on strike, then Delta will shut down for good. There is no doubt about that.

But remember that United's flight attendants planned CHAOS strikes across the system starting last July? They also vowed never to accept a defined-contribution plan. It was a defined-benefit plan or shut down United.

Well, not one single flight, route, or aiport was struck, and the F/As did accept a 401(k) plan.

I'm not saying that the pilots are bluffing. They may very well strike. But this could very well be a lot of posturing to get management to present a new offer that requires less givebacks that the last offer.

We will only know for sure what the pilots will do, if there is no agreement, and the arbitration panel rules in favor of management.

B777-700

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:47 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 44):

Uh, no you can't. You can put your OnePass acct in the rez and get credit for the flights on it.

Don't get Western fool you, he's prolly not even a CO employee. He's just a little cheerleader. And if he is an employee, getting excited the way he does about another airline potentially going out of business, and his fellow industry employees, all 50,000 of them losing their jobs, is just sick.

Delta will still be around, enjoy your trip to KUL!
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.