KarlB737
Topic Author

Demolition Of Old RSW Terminal Underway

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:03 am

csturdiv

RE: Demolition Of Old RSW Terminal Underway

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:16 am

With their new terminal have they increased the time to unload baggage from aircraft? I flew down there last summer and we got in late at night, it was only us (an UA 737) and a USA3000 A320. And it took fooooooooorever to get our bags, we were standing around for about 30 to 45 minutes waiting for our bags. And from what I hear from my parents, who often fly into RSW that this is all too common.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

UnitedFlyer

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:15 pm

Wow! And to think I was in this terminal less than a year ago! Hard to believe it's almost gone. Wasn't terribly old for an airport terminal but definately over-crowded, especially when 5 or six flight come in at once and everyone is at baggage clam at the same time....what a zoo!

JRadier

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:43 am

I flew into this airport last year, and it was my first non-major US airport (only been to LAX and SEA before that). Allthough it was old I loved it. Too bad seeing it is being demolished now, but I guess I'll see the new terminal this summer.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

isitsafenow

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:00 am

Remember the B concourse around 1 pm in March and April?
I assure all readers...it won't be missed.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

DCA-ROCguy

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:42 am

Wow....RSW isn't wasting any time. I never saw this terminal, but I saw the pre-1983 FMY terminal from the car when my parents and I drove by in 1980. That one still exists and is offices for the state police. Read about it here.

http://oldterminals.topcities.com/fort%20myers.html

The newspaper article said the demolition will cost $106 million; that's probably more than the 1983 building cost to build, even adjusted for inflation.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

avconsultant

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:34 pm

Wow, that's amazing. I have yet to visit the new terminal; however, the old terminal was always packed. I read in the WSJ a few yrs ago RSW had one of the nations highest concessionaires sales of any airport. The article cited the retirees would arrive early and welcome their guest in person.

The unique thing about RSW was there was never a noticable dominant carrier. Although, I think DL and NW were the top two. Not sure, I'm sure someone will have this data.

rdwelch

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 4):
Remember the B concourse around 1 pm in March and April?
I assure all readers...it won't be missed.

I'll have nostalgia for it, but I also remember the security lines in the B concourse during the snow bird months. Wow! The new terminal is one of the most spacious terminals I can remember seeing in a long time.

Gus
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

USPIT10L

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:14 am

I flew in RSW many times from 89-95 and always enjoyed it. Yes, I remember how packed it was during spring break in particular, but I always thought it was a pretty good airport for that size of a city. US started service there in 1984, and although I only saw Concourse A once with EA in '89, I'm sure it was just as jammed. NW has always had a big presence there simply because of the Midwestern snowbirds that always came down. I always thought US was bigger there than DL, US had flights to PIT, CLT, DCA, LGA, BOS, PHL, MCO, TPA, APF, and BWI at one point or another. I don't think DL ever had that big a presence there. Yes, they flew widebodies from ATL, but they never had as many dailies as US did.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

isitsafenow

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 6):
, I think DL and NW were the top two. Not sure, I'm sure someone will have this data.

NW is considered an also ran at RSW. In the summer they run only two or three flights a day in there.
The biggies for boardings are DL and JetBlue and USAIRways.
DL runs some heavy metal there Jan-early April.
NW boardings are good in the winter with added flights but they don't match DL or USAiRways...US has a good following in southwest FLA.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

beertrucker

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:58 am

I used to work for DL there. They by far owned that airport. durning the winter they fly almost all 767-300s and that is a lot fo flights to put in there. They also have old song flights as wells as a ton of connection flights to mco and other places.
Fly HI

Tom in NO

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:10 am

The "old" terminal probably had the shortest life of any permanent terminal buildings in quite a while. RSW opened in 1982 as I recall, so the original terminal lasted only 23-odd years.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos