CentPIT
Topic Author

US Airways To End Service To Four Cities From PIT!

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:34 am

WPXI TV Channel 11 Reporting:

WPXI is reporting that US Airways will end service to four more cities from PIT!

PIT-ITH
PIT-SCE
PIT-ELM
PIT-BGM

This is probably not a huge surprise to most of you. I am not surprised. The only good thing is that they only operate 1 or 2 dailies to each of these cities. I hope US can become profitable with the rest of the routes in PIT. I guess we will have to wait and see once again.

[Edited 2006-03-25 00:54:39]
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

b727

RE: US Airways To End Service To Four Cities From PIT!

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:45 am

I'm sure this will be a big hit to ITH and ELM. Not much service in either city. I wish the people of that area the best. I know my stepfather drives from ELM to SYR to get a decent deal on flights.

B727
Glenn

AirCop

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:53 am

Isn't really USAirways Express stopping service. I suppose the feed from these towns don't come close to cover expenses, and US Airways probably is looking to get rid of all cities still served by 19 passenger aircraft. Anyone know if these are EAS cities?

CentPIT
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am

These are not EAS cities and yes this is US Airways Express. These routes were all operated with DH8s. Beech 1900s were not used on any of these routes!

[Edited 2006-03-25 00:58:50]

gift4tbone

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 3):
These are not EAS cities and yes this is US Airways Express.

So what will they (whoever the express carrier of those routes is) do with those aircraft? Are they planning to increase frequency to other express cities from PIT?

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

doug_or

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:01 am

PIT-ITH was just once a day IIRC, not really the kind of connection that gives a whole lot of utility, espeacly when the only other airline there is NWA to DTW. All of these cities still have more substantial service to PHL.
When in doubt, one B pump off

HPRamper

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:07 am

Is this a result of the Mesa contract with US (East) expiring? Or were those routes flown by another carrier?

N670UW

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:14 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 6):
Is this a result of the Mesa contract with US (East) expiring? Or were those routes flown by another carrier?

All four of these routes were flown by Piedmont (on Dash 8's). They've been cut before and were reinstated, I believe last fall. Really, not a big surprise.

N670UW

gift4tbone

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 am

Quoting N670UW (Reply 7):
They've been cut before and were reinstated, I believe last fall.

So is it a sorta seasonal thing?

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

N670UW

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting Gift4tbone (Reply 8):
So is it a sorta seasonal thing?

I'm not sure. They were flown year-round when US Airways had a hub in PIT (with multiple frequencies - not just 1/day). They were cut as part of the gradual pull-down in regional service the last few years. I know if the intention is to keep them seasonal or if they just tried the routes again and they were unsuccessful.

N670UW

ScottB

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:28 am

Well, the O&D to and from all four of those cities from PIT combined is probably countable on one hand. PIT continues to shrink for US/HP, with only 43 daily mainline departures for the two airlines (to 20 cities: BOS, CLT, ORD, DEN, FLL, RSW, LAS, LAX, MIA, MBJ [weekly], LGA, MCO, PHL, PHX, SAN, SFO, SJU [2 weekly], TPA, DCA, and PBI) combined in March. I'd be surprised if the PIT-Florida flights survive Southwest building up service on those routes from PIT or if B6 chooses to enter those city pairs.

Tornado82

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 10):
Well, the O&D to and from all four of those cities from PIT combined is probably countable on one hand. PIT continues to shrink for US/HP, with only 43 daily mainline departures for the two airlines (to 20 cities: BOS, CLT, ORD, DEN, FLL, RSW, LAS, LAX, MIA, MBJ [weekly], LGA, MCO, PHL, PHX, SAN, SFO, SJU [2 weekly], TPA, DCA, and PBI) combined in March. I'd be surprised if the PIT-Florida flights survive Southwest building up service on those routes from PIT or if B6 chooses to enter those city pairs.

The O&D from all 4 of those cities to damn near ANY city is probably countable on one hand. Not to mention they're all driveable, especially SCE.

As for the Florida flights, if they survived Airtran I'm sure they can survive Southwest. Southwest hasn't killed them yet and they've had just about a whole year to get going. Why are people going to choose Southwest when they're not cheaper and many times have less choices? But, thanks for the koolaid swig of the day.

N670UW

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:50 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 11):
if they survived Airtran

AirTran has all of one flight between Pittsburgh and Florida. Way to "survive."

Why are people going to choose Southwest when they're not cheaper and many times have less choices?

Because Southwest frequently is less expensive.  confused 

If US is offering a deeply-discounted Y fare, and WN's initial discounted fares have sold out, they WN might not be cheaper. But Southwest isn't exactly hurting over high fares. Or try to fly US Airways at the last minute.

N670UW

Tornado82

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting N670UW (Reply 12):

If US is offering a deeply-discounted Y fare, and WN's initial discounted fares have sold out, they WN might not be cheaper. But Southwest isn't exactly hurting over high fares. Or try to fly US Airways at the last minute.

Honestly now, how many families are going to Florida "at the last minute?" We're talking Florida flights here, the great bastion of long-advance lead time leisure fares. And US is matching Southwest blow for blow in those kinds of deals. For that matter, US is matching Southwest blow for blow on many PIT-PHL last-minute fares.

hoosiercfi

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:01 am

I am surprised that they dropped these routes. They might have been flown by few, but US charged out the a** for these flight, especially last minute. Maybe one day US will learn that people would actually fly on the route if they didn't charge close to $1000 roundtrip. And I thought that US was becoming a discount carrier. Talk about your smoke and mirrors!

stirling

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:05 am

Quoting B727 (Reply 1):
I'm sure this will be a big hit to ITH and ELM. Not much service in either city

These cities are not losing all service, just nonstop service to PIT.

ELM, SCE, BGM, and ITH all maintain their flights to PHL, and in the case of ITH, flights to LGA w/ a SF3 and BE1 as well.

Service remains a mix of CRJ, DH3, and DH8.
Delete this User

CLEfan

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:11 am

Is there any possibility that one of the CO Connection carriers (Commutair or Regions Air) might step in and provide additional service to ELM or new service to ITH, SCE, and BGM to CLE? It seems that most flights from PIT that have been dropped end up being moved to CLE, although many of those were EAS routes.

iowaman

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:16 am

Why are people going to choose Southwest when they're not cheaper and many times have less choices?

Because some people actually like WN and would like to support the airline that is keeping fares low, and not support this certain airline that slashed flights out PIT and basically said F-U to PIT and a lot of employees.

But, thanks for the koolaid swig of the day.

Keep on drinking that kool-aid provided by US, oh wait you better check if it's blue it might be out of the toilet as a cost savings measure.

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 13):
And US is matching Southwest blow for blow in those kinds of deals. For that matter, US is matching Southwest blow for blow on many PIT-PHL last-minute fares.

Because if they didn't they would loose many passengers.

Quoting HoosierCFI (Reply 14):
Maybe one day US will learn that people would actually fly on the route if they didn't charge close to $1000 roundtrip. And I thought that US was becoming a discount carrier. Talk about your smoke and mirrors!

Kinda like the "old" HP, they only competed where they needed to and charged both legs elsewhere. At least WN doesn't charge much out of places like DAL and AMA where they control most of the market.

Tornado82

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:19 am

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 17):

Keep on drinking that kool-aid provided by US, oh wait you better check if it's blue it might be out of the toilet as a cost savings measure.

Nice comment, but I actually dislike US too, so I'm not drinking their koolaid, I'm keeping it real.

ScottB

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:29 am

As for the Florida flights, if they survived Airtran I'm sure they can survive Southwest. Southwest hasn't killed them yet and they've had just about a whole year to get going. Why are people going to choose Southwest when they're not cheaper and many times have less choices? But, thanks for the koolaid swig of the day.

It has nothing to do with Kool-Aid or whether WN or B6 or US is cheaper on the routes to Florida; rather, PIT, though it is touted as a "focus city," is not going to be a key market for the "new" US Airways going forward. If B6 or WN adds capacity to Florida from PIT, it gets that much harder for US to make money on those flights to Florida. Given that they are relatively short on aircraft and continue to cut back at PIT, it probably makes sense for them to redeploy the capacity to more profitable routes.

HPRamper

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:46 am

Haha...cost savings measure? And you people are comparing US to WN? Oh, that is sweet.

Because if they didn't they would loose many passengers.

And that's a good thing? What is the best option here?

Because some people actually like WN and would like to support the airline that is keeping fares low, and not support this certain airline that slashed flights out PIT and basically said F-U to PIT and a lot of employees.

IF this certain airline had not slashed flights and cut jobs at PIT, it may very well not be pushing toward profitability today. Sorry, but PIT is better off with things now, since the "what if"s are worse than the status quo.

If US went under, there'd be a lot more airline employees without jobs than has happened with those cuts, and unfortunately, I very much doubt PIT would become a hub for anyone else if it DID happen.

LV

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 13):
Honestly now, how many families are going to Florida "at the last minute?" We're talking Florida flights here, the great bastion of long-advance lead time leisure fares.

I just booked a last minute trip to Florida...but Im the exception to the rule. Plus its for a job interivew so you know.

iowaman

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:42 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 20):
Haha...cost savings measure? And you people are comparing US to WN? Oh, that is sweet.

I guess I don't see anything WN has cut, they still have free peanuts/soda and snack packs on longer flights. Does the new US has free snack packs on there trancons? I don't think so. Does the new US charge low fares on PHL-CLT? I don't think so. Do they on PHL-PIT? Yes. Does WN on AMA-ABQ? Yes.

And that's a good thing? What is the best option here?

My point is it's not like PIT is very loyal to US anymore.

Tornado82

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:58 am

Quoting LV (Reply 21):

I just booked a last minute trip to Florida...but Im the exception to the rule. Plus its for a job interivew so you know.

I'm sure there's a small percentage of people like you, but Florida is a very very predominantly leisure destination.

SonOfACaptain

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:00 pm

IF this certain airline had not slashed flights and cut jobs at PIT, it may very well not be pushing toward profitability today.

Exactly. There is a reason US is projecting a profitable year. US is not stupid. They know what they are doing.

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 22):
I guess I don't see anything WN has cut

Uh buddy, there is a reason US has higher costs...because they provide more services. Don't you dare tell me WN has more frills than US.

they still have free peanuts/soda and snack packs on longer flights. Does the new US has free snack packs on there trancons? I don't think so. Does the new US charge low fares on PHL-CLT? I don't think so. Do they on PHL-PIT? Yes. Does WN on AMA-ABQ? Yes.

Does WN give an oppurtunity for passengers to have a real meal? Does WN have F/C? Does WN have international flights? Does WN have airport clubs? Does WN fly to real small cities? The list goes on and on. Get real buddy.

-SOAC

[Edited 2006-03-25 04:01:04]
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

HPRamper

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:24 pm

I guess I don't see anything WN has cut, they still have free peanuts/soda and snack packs on longer flights.

WN is known for cutting costs...but not in the ways the average commuter will see. Things like not using wingwalkers at some stations, taxiing very quickly etc. Free peanuts and soda? US has the same, as well as pretzels for what it's worth.

CentPIT
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:24 pm

My point is it's not like PIT is very loyal to US anymore.

Well, hopefully you don't think PIT should be loyal to US anymore. PIT is in debt because of them. US is going to try flights here and drop flights there. PIT will see flights that work for US. I hope WN does expand soon. I am not sure why they have waited this long? Maybe someone can fill me in?

CentPIT
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 19):
It has nothing to do with Kool-Aid or whether WN or B6 or US is cheaper on the routes to Florida; rather, PIT, though it is touted as a "focus city," is not going to be a key market for the "new" US Airways going forward. If B6 or WN adds capacity to Florida from PIT, it gets that much harder for US to make money on those flights to Florida.

Right now you can't say that PIT isn't going to be a key market for US going forward. First off you have no idea, and second off LAS has 141 daily departures--does that mean that it won't be a key market going forward? Well, I guess we don't know. PIT is not going away in the near future. Sorry to break your heart.

[Edited 2006-03-25 04:34:41]

[Edited 2006-03-25 04:35:01]

iowaman

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:37 pm

Quoting SonOfACaptain (Reply 24):
Exactly. There is a reason US is projecting a profitable year. US is not stupid. They know what they are doing.

Oh yes, we all know that US is going to post a profit this year.  Yeah sure Utter bullshit.

Uh buddy, there is a reason US has higher costs...because they provide more services. Don't you dare tell me WN has more frills than US.

Tell me what US provides from a passenger stand point that WN does not?

Does WN give an oppurtunity for passengers to have a real meal? Does WN have F/C? Does WN have international flights? Does WN have airport clubs? Does WN fly to real small cities? The list goes on and on. Get real buddy.

Does US offer real meals in Coach? And there is what, about .1% of this country paying full fare to Florida and LAS? Do most WN passengers care about International? Does WN need airport clubs? No. Does WN need to fly to small cities? No. All those aren't needed.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 25):
WN is known for cutting costs...but not in the ways the average commuter will see. Things like not using wingwalkers at some stations, taxiing very quickly etc. Free peanuts and soda? US has the same, as well as pretzels for what it's worth.

It's good that they are finding other ways to save fuel such as winglets and taxiing very quickly to stay on schedule rather than raising fares a lot or taking away free soda/snack packs.

I'm not saying WN is the answer to everything, however it is to a lot of people.

HPRamper

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:40 pm

To make a point, US is not leaving PIT to wither on the vine. Southwest will not be chasing US out of there anytime soon.

US Release, March 24

"This week, US Airways announced a five-year extension of leases for hangars and other facilities at Pittsburgh International Airport. The agreement includes three hangars, 3, 4 and 5, as well as the special services building, cargo building, the mail sort facility and the ground service equipment maintenance facility."

You can count on PIT not becoming another BWI.

HPRamper

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:45 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 28):

I think SonOfACaptain already mentioned those. Unless you are asking the question to his answer, things like a first-class section, assigned seating, clubs in hubs and focus cities...

Do most WN passengers care about International? Does WN need airport clubs? No. Does WN need to fly to small cities? No. All those aren't needed.

Not needed for who? Plenty of the country lives in cities that WN doesn't serve. By your logic, all regional carriers are needless, and presidential candidates need not campaign in Vermont or Wyoming.

HPLASOps

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:13 pm

Do most WN passengers care about International? Does WN need airport clubs? No. Does WN need to fly to small cities? No. All those aren't needed.

There are people in America that like to fly to other countries, believe it or not. There are people that actually like to have first class, airport clubs, etc. because they don't want to be lumped in with the average cattle. There are people who enjoy an inflight movie, assigned seating (so it doesn't feel like a mosh pit standing in line at the gate and finding a seat in the aircraft). WN does not fill those needs, but they are a part of the business. It's stupid to say that if WN doesn't provide them, America doesn't want them.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

Tornado82

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:26 pm

Not to mention that there are still hundreds of commercially served airports in the nation that Southwest doesn't touch, and likely never will touch. Believe it or not, some people actually don't mind paying an extra $50-100 to fly from the neighborhood airport as opposed to taking a several-hour drive to the LCC infested airport.

iowaman

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:22 pm

Well, I don't know what else to say. It's obvious a lot of America likes WN considering they are #1 in domestic passengers. Like I said and I'll say again, Southwest is not the best for everyone, and will never be for everyone. There are just simply a lot of people that like them and fly them, and love there cheap fares. Also there are a lot of people I know that like the no assigned seating, including me. All I'm looking for on a 3 hour flight is a seat to get there, and to get from point A to point B. I don't need any clubs, nor are there near as many people as much, including me, that fly international. Southwest is a business, and they are seeing where they can make a business. Do most people care if they fly to Fargo, North Dakota? No. There are many more people flying Southwest wanting to go to Los Angeles, Midway, or Orlando, than these little podunk cities. There are more people that live in OMA metro, than live in the whole state of Wyoming. There is definitely a need for hub carriers, and I don't want to see all these people that work for US loose there jobs, however it just annoys me to see poor management, and with all the crap there employees are going through, I almost wish they would just die off already. Sure it will hurt in the short term, but there will be other airlines that eventually pick up the slack, and they will need to hire more people. PHL may not be back to where it is now, but it would regain some loss. Look at BNA, ex AA hub, and with WN now there passenger numbers are back up to and past I believe what they were with the AA hub, and O&D is up dramatically, because the people of Nashville are enjoying lower fares.

HPRamper

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:13 pm

You sound like you are describing US of two years ago.
The worst is past for the US employees, US is currently in better shape than DL, NW or UA, I'd say. The management is all new - and competent, I might add - furloughed employees are being rehired, stock price is hovering around a new high, new mainline flights are being added...all the doom and gloom is simply unfounded, unless one happens to live in PIT or CMH and has a bone to pick with the airline.

This business with losing the express flights doesn't amount to much in the long run, almost everyone would rather see more mainline come back to PIT. And I'd personally lay money (and I don't make much!) on that PIT fares will start going down in the coming months. It's been happening all over the US East system, but gradually, and PIT will not be forgotten or bypassed. Like I said before, PIT won't become another BWI, with US tucking tail and running at the sight of a Southwest plane. Keeping up high fares while another airline is undercutting you is just asinine and it will not continue.

supa7E7

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:46 pm

US serves about 45 of the 50 states. 200+ cities. Star Alliance connectivity.

Transportation, that's what US provides that WN does not... for thousands of city pairs.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

PVD757

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 pm

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 26):
I hope WN does expand soon.

From what I hear, your hope may come true...

CentPIT
Topic Author

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:38 pm

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 36):
From what I hear, your hope may come true...

I know I keep hearing a nothing more than an I think they are soon. Maybe WN will connect our cities!

PIT-PVD

[Edited 2006-03-25 13:39:40]

KingGeo3

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:02 pm

Not to mention they're all driveable, especially SCE

All of these cities are within the 4 hour driving distance that many of us road warriors use as our rule of thumb for whether we drive or fly.

-KG3
Nobody respects me . . . :(

masseybrown

RE: US Airways To End Service To Four Cities From

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting KingGeo3 (Reply 38):
All of these cities are within the 4 hour driving distance that many of us road warriors use as our rule of thumb for whether we drive or fly.

You said it. SCE is in a different state, but ELM-ITH-BGM are three points of a triangle in New York with 32, 47, and 31 nm sides. If they had any brains, they would have convinced NY state gvt. to underwrite a combined airport 40 years ago. They would now enjoy a reasonable level of service from more than one airline.

These four cities, plus 5 EAS cities (PKB, MGW, CKR, BFD, and JHW) discussed in another thread, are each insignificant to PIT and to US; but, combined, they are probably 200,000 O&D a year. That is their local carriage, but most of it is feed also supporting the equivalent of perhaps 8 (12-20 RJs?) mainline flights a day out of PIT. That size traffic loss isn't something you want to kiss off every day.

ScottB

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 27):
Right now you can't say that PIT isn't going to be a key market for US going forward. First off you have no idea, and second off LAS has 141 daily departures--does that mean that it won't be a key market going forward?

Well, PIT's mainline departures for US Airways are now under 25% of the US-coded departures at PIT. US/HP's mainline flights at LAS represent 72% of their combined 141 daily departures. US continues to gradually scale back PIT; PIT-DCA sees only one daily mainline flight these days while PIT-BOS gets three.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 29):

US Release, March 24

"This week, US Airways announced a five-year extension of leases for hangars and other facilities at Pittsburgh International Airport. The agreement includes three hangars, 3, 4 and 5, as well as the special services building, cargo building, the mail sort facility and the ground service equipment maintenance facility."

Well, let's see. Continental does maintenance at HOU. How many CO flights does HOU see a day? AA does maintenance at TUL, MCI, and AFW -- are any of these hubs or focus cities?

HPRamper

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:41 am

You're only speaking of aircraft maintenance, all the other facilities wouldn't be needed for merely a maintenance stop. PIT will be more than a focus city, albeit less than a primary hub.

iowaman

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:44 am

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 35):
Transportation, that's what US provides that WN does not... for thousands of city pairs.

To say that WN does not provide transportation is ludacris, who was #1 last year as far as carrying the most domestic passengers? WN. I bet WN carried more passengers last year than US did domesic + international combined.

Tornado82

RE: US Airways To End Service To Four Cities From

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 42):

To say that WN does not provide transportation is ludacris,who was #1 last year as far as carrying the most domestic passengers? WN. I bet WN carried more passengers last year than US did domesic + international combined.

First off learn to spell, Ludacris is supposedly an "artist," the word is ludicrous. Nice to see a crappy "artist's" poor spelling has affected America's youth too.

Secondly, US+HP is larger than Southwest now, so you lost your bet.

Now here's why WN doesn't provide necessary transportation to the masses:
Let's say little Timmy Yinzer is going to college to be a chiropractor at Palmer in your home state of Iowa (Davenport). How could he even attempt to get there on WN? He can't. But let's think how he could get to there on real airlines. Quite simple. Fly PIT to ORD on US/UA/AA, then fly to MLI on UA/AA. Look how easy that was.

Bunch of WVU students/fans wanted to go down to ATL for the Sweet 16 on Thursday night. Well let's see, obviously the 4x EAS from MGW isn't going to help them enough, so they drive up to PIT. Airtran can take them nonstop, Delta can take them too, but can Southwest take them at all? Nope.

For that matter, let's leave Pittsburgh and take YOU for an example! You need to go to LAS. You've got CID and MCW nearby, and DSM and MSP a little further. Well, you can't fly WN from any of those cities, but yet you could fly a real airline nonstop or in the worst case 1-stop in MSP/DEN from any of those cities. Of course, you drink the koolaid to drive to OMA for WN, violating all laws of economics.

Actually, name me ONE city you can get to on WN in less connections than you can get to on real airlines from PIT. Not even those podunk intra-Texas cities will not help you in this cause. Iowaman, you are now on the clock.

Braniff1960

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:46 am

Does anyone know how long US has served these cities from PIT?

40 years maybe????

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Armstrong

nothing like the smell of jet exhaust!

iowaman

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:18 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 43):
Secondly, US+HP is larger than Southwest now, so you lost your bet.

Notice I said last year.

For that matter, let's leave Pittsburgh and take YOU for an example! You need to go to LAS. You've got CID and MCW nearby, and DSM and MSP a little further. Well, you can't fly WN from any of those cities, but yet you could fly a real airline nonstop or in the worst case 1-stop in MSP/DEN from any of those cities. Of course, you drink the koolaid to drive to OMA for WN, violating all laws of economics.

OMA= cheaper fare + more choices + cheap parking. And you can't tell me WN is more greyhound than Allegiant.

Actually, name me ONE city you can get to on WN in less connections than you can get to on real airlines from PIT. Not even those podunk intra-Texas cities will not help you in this cause. Iowaman, you are now on the clock.

What does that have to do with anything? Just because WN and US require one connection to get to SLC from PIT means WN is worse?

48v

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:38 am

ITH was the first city served by Robinson Airlines, which became Mohawk which merged into Allegheny, and so on, so I'd imagine ITH-PIT was a very early route. AL and later US used to have several mainline jets per day out of PIT to those cities. How times change.

Tornado82

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 45):

What does that have to do with anything? Just because WN and US require one connection to get to SLC from PIT means WN is worse?

It has to do with the fact that NOWHERE does WN have a network advantage over a mainline carrier, and there are countless disadvantages for WN.

BishopOfPHL

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:29 am

Wow, didn't take long for this thread about service to Ithaca, State College, etc. to turn into another Tornado "I hate WN" tyrade. It's really becomming tiresome. The legacies and WN both have legitimate business plans serving different clientelle. I'm leaving for Gatwick in a few hours and obviously can't take WN there. But last weekend they served me quite well going to PIT, on a larger plane (vs. US's crappy claustrophobic E-145) at a convenient time, and a better price.

Tornado82

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:32 am

Quoting BishopOfPHL (Reply 48):
(vs. US's crappy claustrophobic E-145) at a convenient time, and a better price.

All depends on your time of day, your holiness. You can get a 752 on US VS a 733 on WN too. And notice that ScottB was the one who brought up WN first. Also, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos