airtime

Skyservice New Airline

Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:33 am

Anybody knows anything about the new airline Skyservice is going to start in november. I read in the paper that Skyservice will be starting a new full service airline to serve all the majors canadian cities and some cities in the USA using their A330 and A320.

Noise

RE: Skyservice New Airline

Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:35 am

I will be called RootsAir because Roots Canada had something to do with this too.

A320driver

Thu Jun 08, 2000 3:22 am

Their new A/C scheme can be seen at:

http://www.rootsair.com

Samurai 777

Thu Jun 08, 2000 3:38 am

This is kinda weird - an airline named after a Canadian clothing retail store chain!?

Thu Jun 08, 2000 4:25 am

Samurai 777: when you have money nothing is impossible even an airline named after a clothing store. Great makerting techniques

As far as the livery goes, i think it looks awful.

Does anyone know if Montreal is one of their city?

Nicolas

slawko

Thu Jun 08, 2000 4:50 am

I think the colour scheme is kool...and it is not that odd, infact it makes good sence if they are going to team up with VIRGIN which is also the brand name of many many products... I can't wait to see them flying....I hope they choose VIRGIN as their partner...
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

RootsAir At Montreal (YUL)?

Thu Jun 08, 2000 5:12 am

Nicolaki, you asked if RootsAir was going to fly in Montreal (YUL), Qc, Canada. Here's the answer I've found in their new website (www.rootsair.com):

"RootsAir will operate daily flights on a service route including Vancouver,
Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Halifax. The
airline will also provide daily service to select US cities beginning with Los
Angeles. The inaugural flight of the new service is scheduled for November
2000 and the airline will be flying Airbus A320s and A330s featuring the latest
in-flight technology. "

CharterFlyer

Noise

Thu Jun 08, 2000 5:56 am

I love the co,our scheme. I can't wait to see them here in Montreal!!!

Noise

Thu Jun 08, 2000 5:57 am

I love the colour scheme. I can't wait to see them here in Montreal!!!

Thu Jun 08, 2000 6:03 am

CharterFlyer: Thanks for the info
Noise: You're from montreal? me too, if you want Email me at nicolaki1@hotmail, we could go spot some aircrafts some day at YUL

Pronto

Thu Jun 08, 2000 6:07 am

Well, finally it's revealed! Thank goodness they'll just fly in Canada and U.S. If they fly to Australia, quite a stir will erupt!!!

FLY777UAL

Thu Jun 08, 2000 6:14 am

I just skimmed the press release, but I can't tell--will this be a one class (all economy) airline, or a two class airline?

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

slawko

Thu Jun 08, 2000 6:15 am

Multiclass interline carier....

Pronto..Why would it cause a big stir up if they flew to australia?
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

Thu Jun 08, 2000 6:20 am

Noise and Nicolaki...

I'm from Montreal too and I have like 88 photos on this website. My real name is Maxime Prévost-Desjardins and I use to do some planespotting with some of other aviation lovers such as Pierre Lacome (his photos are also on this site) and Nicolas Ronca. It could be interesting to know you better!  

Regards,

CharterFlyer

Thu Jun 08, 2000 6:21 am

Noise and Nicolaki...

I'm from Montreal too and I have like 88 photos on this website. My real name is Maxime Prévost-Desjardins and I use to do some planespotting with some of other aviation lovers such as Pierre Lacome (his photos are also on this site) and Nicolas Ronca. It could be interesting to know you better!  

Regards,

CharterFlyer

polaris

Thu Jun 08, 2000 6:44 am

Slawko...The word "root" or "roots" has sexual connotations in Australia. That's why the Roots Canada clothing that Team Canada wore at the Olympics was so popular with the Australians. That's why Roots Air may cause a stir in Australia.

slawko

Thu Jun 08, 2000 6:50 am

Oh ok thanks...didn't know that

JAT

Thu Jun 08, 2000 7:01 am

Polaris, in Australia does Root mean the same as froot here in North America?

I wonder how long this new airline will last...

JAT

Samurai 777

Thu Jun 08, 2000 7:12 am

Nicolaki - while the naming of the airline seems odd, you're right when it comes to working as a great marketing technique. I actually do like the color scheme on these a/c. It'd be cool to see these tails of different colors flying around, kind of like a Canadian version of Braniff (remember those 727s in different colors?)! But the "RootsAir" title on the fuselage could use some enlargening, although the Roots' beaver logo is a nice touch.

Let's hope RootsAir doesn't end up with the same fate as Canadian! It'd be very sad to see that happen. I would like to see it last for quite a long time as a full-service competitor to AC.

Noise

To Nicolaki, CharterFlyer

Thu Jun 08, 2000 7:39 am

Nicolaki, did you ever visit the Montreal-Dorval Airport Enthusiast Page??? It's a very good site on YUL. You REALLY should go visit it at http://www.cam.org/~hill/dorvalairport.html

Maxime, I have seen a lot of you photos and found them really nice. I found a link to your site at Doug Bull's Commercial Aviation page. It's nice that you did it on Mirabel. I found your site very proffesional and I was suprised to see that you made it off geocities. Great gob!!!

AC183

Thu Jun 08, 2000 11:45 am

Canadian's achilles heel was its debt. RootsAir at least won't be as overburdened in that respect, so I give it a shot. And they're not aiming at being a whole fly-everywhere airline, so that should make it more manageable. There isn't room for 2 all-things-to-all-people airlines in this country, but maybe 1.25 like Skyservice has said. If they're aiming for business travellers, however, I question their choice of name, as brand appeal seems odd, to say the least (I would have franchised Virgin, personally, or else found another name). I'll give them a chance, though, and the A320's are at least on par with AC in passenger appeal, which is a big issue for a full service carrier.

Regarding the name, somebody had better mention that to Roots before they do any marketing for Australian connections. Remember how GM failed to do its research with the Chevy Nova...

As far as livery, I kind of like it, although I would have done it a little different on the tail. But the beaver logo looks OK to me, and I like the different coloured tails.

I think what will make or break this will be the traffic feed it gets from foreign carriers. It might survive on internal traffic alone, but if oneworld (or whoever teams up with it) provides enough feed it could be quite reasonably profitable. Or it could go for the Alaska Airlines approach and code-share to get feed from multiple carriers, which would probably do it good as well. Also, they've got to be clear that they're going to offer full service 2 class service. News stations seem to have reported them as just another charter.

As far as the competiton issue. There have been notions from the government of opening up cabotage, but I don't want to see it. My view is that US carriers would do more harm to Canadian carriers acting as alternatives to AC than they would do to AC, and would cause service levels to slide.

polaris

Fri Jun 09, 2000 4:25 am

Sorry JAT...I am not familiar with the term "froot". However, I do wish the new airline much success. Roots Canada is aware of the Australian double-entendre. This may, indeed, be part of the hip image they are going after.

rikkus67

RE: Skyservice & Canadi>n

Fri Jun 09, 2000 12:09 pm

Hi All,

As a resident of Lethbridge, Alberta...it was sad to see Canadi>n Airlines fold. Canadi>n Regional was made up of Ontario Express, and my home town airline: TIME AIR. Time Air was, for a while, Canada's largest regional airline. I have many friends who still work for Canadi>n Regional, and I worry for their future.

In regards to Skyservice/ Roots Air... As a potential supplier to Roots and to Skyservice, I welcome the competition. Although we will never have TWO national carriers again, it will be good to see MAJOR regional airlines give some needed competition (and FAIR pricing) to the Canadian airline industry.

P.S. what do people think of a regional airline for WestJet...ie: Junior Jet...using either: Fairchild/Dornier 328J's, Embraer 135's...or a "Challenger" sized Canadair RJ?
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

AC183

RE: Skyservice & Canadi>n

Fri Jun 09, 2000 12:26 pm

Hey Rikkus67, great to hear from a Lethbridger, I'm from Calgary myself (currently studying in the great city of Winnipeg) and I've got family down in the Lethbridge area. Personally I love it down there...

Anyways, about the idea of a WJ regional, I don't think so. WJ works on low-fare operations which are possible only with larger aircraft, but it also uses low frequencies. A few months ago we discussed possible new destinations for WJ in the west, and we came up with several possibilities to use 737's with on regional routes. Anyways, one of the routes I really think would work would be Vancouver-Lethbridge-Winnipeg-Hamilton. Any comments on that idea? Yeah, it probably wouldn't happen until they get through more of their eastern expansion (and fill in some gaps between the bigger western centres), but all things considered I'm sure it would work. Lots of people drive from Lethbridge to Calgary instead of flying. And there's over 150,000 people in the Lethbrige-Medicine Hat area. And using YVR-YQL-YWG-YHM would offer a great routing for lots of people, because I don't think WJ would be successful with north-south routes (people would still drive to Calgary to save the money). But the route I suggested would allow east-west flights conveniently and at a cost similar to YYC, minus the drive. And not only that, it would offer a convenient 1-stop for passengers between Winnipeg and Vancouver. Also, Winnipeg and Vancouver are fairly important destinations for travellers from Lethbridge. And I think a 1-stop to the east would be popular through YHM. Any comments? Yeah, maybe I'm dreaming a bit but I'm convinced it would work.

By the way, I hear IntegraAir at YQL is looking at expanding as well. Maybe you'll have a new Time Air?

rikkus67

RE: Skyservice & Canadi>n-AC183

Fri Jun 09, 2000 1:19 pm

Hey AC183,

Guess what I do in my spare time? I design PASSENGER SAFETY CARDS. I won't plug the biz here, but you can respond to my user info email addy.
Time Air used to have a YQL, cranbrook or kelowna, YVR run. It was awarded it against PAcific Western. The run was incredibly successful, and is sadly missed by all those south of YYC. As I am now the supplier of PAX cards to Westjet, I did have a little info on the YQL-YVR run. It looks like a start-up of sometime next year, as the new aircraft come on line.... I hope it happens.

ps. Integra and Frank Cook @ Transport Canada got me started in the PAX cards biz. I also designed Integra's logo and apintscheme, but with little extra capital, it might be a while before the planes get painted. Drop a line (to my user info email addy) and I'll pass along the artwork.

Kind Regards, Rik...
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

AC183

RE: Skyservice & Canadi>n-AC183

Sat Jun 10, 2000 12:05 am

In my view the reason YQL doesn't have much in the way of service is the lack of marketing muscle. There's demand there, but there is little advertising or seat sales, so passengers just drive to YYC. And compared to driving to fly from YYC, flying to YYC to connect doesn't save much time, and it just adds to the cost. But flying east-west from YQL, well, WestJet is just the carrier to fly in there. PWA tried several times to get into YQL, and when they failed they bought up a chunck of TimeAir. Now in my view WJ is very similar to what PWA was doing, so it kind of makes sense for them to look at YQL.

By the way, I thought I was dreaming that WJ would add YQL, it seems like a great idea with good growth potential, but they're going to actually do that soon? Would they fly only to YVR or would they go eastbound as well? YWG makes sense to me for that because YQR is notoriously high cost (just look at gas prices when driving through Regina), and with links like AgCanada's research centres, Bristol Aerospace, P&WC, CFB Suffield, and so on to draw from I could see the YQL-YXH area being a good market to serve to YWG. In fact, last time I flew YWG-YYC-YXH to attend a family function, there were several other passengers making the same connection!

Just curious, any idea when Integra will add YYC?

Also, I'm very interested in seeing those images, I'll just have to get around to e-mailing a little later.

Regards,
Matt

ywg777

Sat Jun 10, 2000 4:56 am

Yeah AC183 that does make sense. YWG has become such a busy airport lately its quickly changing. I think WJ should do a route like that but have a daily direct flight to YVR. What does everyone think of that.. When Roots Air comes in there will be 1 direct flight out east from YWG and 1 daily direct flight out west from YWG.. I read about that in the Winnipeg Free Press, a few weeks ago.
YWG777

JAT

Sat Jun 10, 2000 5:01 am

Whoops! I meant "fruit" not "froot". Oh well, no matter

AC183

YWG777

Sun Jun 11, 2000 1:50 am

YWG777, WestJet DOES have a daily direct flight from Winnipeg to Vancouver, it's just not a non-stop flight. Personally I see no reason for WJ to go non-stop on that route. It's perfectly acceptable for most people to make a quick stop on the way for a route of that length, at least for passengers that WestJet serves. WestJet is a short haul carrier, and YVR-YWG nonstop is a little outside of their strategy. If passengers don't like that they can fly AirTransat, Royal, or Canada3000 or Air Canada non-stop. Using a one-stop flight is better for WestJet's model. Also, getting WJ into YQT and YQR from YWG are, in my view, much more important to focus on.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos