Topic Author

United Express To Start MSY-STL Service

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:08 pm

New nonstop service eff. 5/3/06:

MSY-STL

UA8072 dp. 805a ar. 958a

STL-MSY

UA8070 dp. 1040a ar. 1230p

It seems that Trans States is seeing some success at MSY with their recently launched service to OKC and SAT. I can't say I saw service to STL coming. A pleasant surprise.

UA/UA Express will then offer 13 daily nonstops to LAX, SAT, OKC, DEN, ORD, STL, and IAD from New Orleans.

stl1326

RE: United Express To Start MSY-STL Service

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:12 pm

Wow. That's all I can say. Basically they are competing against their self. They operate daily non-stop service between STL-MSY on AA Connection. We will see how long this will last, but always good to see additional flights.

stlgph

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:12 pm

wow, I admit that this is even a bit of a surprise. I was suspecting that United Express, being flown by Trans States, would be coming up from San Antonio before New Orleans.

Even though it looks to be a quick turn, does anybody know if Trans States might be doing a crew change while it's on the ground, or anything of that nature?

LambertMan

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:29 pm

What the.......

Loads on STL-MSY pre-Katrina were always real good, enough to the point where I thought it would become 3x daily at some point in time. I guess this is the 3rd daily.

caleeiii

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 pm

Pre-Katrina, Southwest operated SIX nonstops a day between MSY-BHM. Would be nice if UA would try maybe ONE rotation of this route a day. I know there must be at least one CRJ load out there today!

ouboy79

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:53 pm

Nothing but good feedback here in OKC about their new P2P services. Hopefully we'll continue to see this service grow throughout the South.

UAL#1fan

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:57 pm

So is UA opening a string of focus cities across the South now? They just expanded United Express service from SAT, and they appear to be doing the same thing at MSY. Perhaps to draw some traffic away from CO at IAH, NW at MEM, and DL at ATL?

md90fan

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:00 pm

Good to see UA in expansion mode lately (ORD-BIL/,SAN/SEA-HNL,IAD-CVG/YHZ) hopefully UA will consider MSY-MCI with a Trans-States ERJ  Smile

WesternA318

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:02 pm

Quoting UAL#1fan (Reply 6):
Perhaps to draw some traffic away from CO at IAH, NW at MEM, and DL at ATL?

It's a viable theory, however, CO and DL are pretty much entrenched in IAH and ATL, respectively. I think this either aimed at AA in STL (doubtful), WN in MSY (I smell another "shuttle' coming around, lol), or NW in MEM.

CRGsFuture

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:07 pm

Great news, did they annouce the aircraft or can we viable deduct that it will be a CRJ-300?

FutureFO

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:08 pm

GoJets getting another flight.

Sean from MCO and SDF

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting CRGsFuture (Reply 9):
Great news, did they annouce the aircraft or can we viable deduct that it will be a CRJ-300?

ERJ-145

So is UA opening a string of focus cities across the South now? They just expanded United Express service from SAT, and they appear to be doing the same thing at MSY.

I doubt that they are going to build up MSY like they have built up SAT, but you never know. There is more than enough gate space for them here now on Concourse C, so from an operational standpoint it is possible anyway. I'll snoop around and see what I can come up with.

BNinMSY

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:13 pm

I wish UAExp would consider a nonstop SHV-MSY - would be far more beneficial to them than STL-MSY which they will only compete with AA on.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:17 pm

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 12):
wish UAExp would consider a nonstop SHV-MSY - would be far more beneficial to them than STL-MSY which they will only compete with AA on.

Or MCI...or BHM...or IND...or RDU...I can think of several routes which seem to make more sense. I guess they see some potential for success though, so more power to them.

Also remember that AA is bringing back MD-80 service in the market as of 4/3.

HNL

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:22 pm

LOL - I mis-read the OP and thought it was MRY-STL. Now that would be strange.

WesternA318

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:22 pm

Anyone remember when National was one of the bigger players in MSY?

iowaman

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:28 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 7):
Good to see UA in expansion mode lately

wish UAExp would consider a nonstop SHV-MSY

So is UA opening a string of focus cities across the South now? They just expanded United Express service from SAT, and they appear to be doing the same thing at MSY.

The only thing UA has in relation to this is they have there named slapped on the side of Trans States planes, and when you book it it shows up as a UA coded flight. All these flights from SAT and MSY (excluding the actual UA hubs) are at-risk flights operated by TSA, and has nothing to do with UA planning. TSA is launching these routes by themselves, and not being payed by United to operate this, however UA is getting no revenue off the actual flights either, except when TSA pays them for gate usage/ground handling in some cities. These flights have nothing to do with UA, just the paint on the side of the plane. It's basically a whole seperate operation.

BNinMSY

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:29 pm

Well a MSY-SHV-ORD would provide good intra-state service (getting people off I-49) and then great opportunities for international connections for SHV boarding guests.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:32 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 16):
These flights have nothing to do with UA, just the paint on the side of the plane. It's basically a whole seperate operation.

Well, the flying public likely won't know that. These new flights will probably increase UA's brand recognition in these markets at the very least.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Iowaman.

I wouldn't read too much into this, it is also likely some sort of aircraft/crew positioning flight since Trans State is based in STL.

iowaman

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:49 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 18):
Well, the flying public likely won't know that. These new flights will probably increase UA's brand recognition in these markets at the very least.

I agree.

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 19):
it is also likely some sort of aircraft/crew positioning flight since Trans State is based in STL.

Might possibly, but again this city pair was launched by TSA, not UA so I would doubt it.

stlgph

Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:36 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 3):

Loads on STL-MSY pre-Katrina were always real good, enough to the point where I thought it would become 3x daily at some point in time. I guess this is the 3rd daily.

AA was 3 daily. One M80 and two ERJ.

Now it's one M80 and one ERJ on AA with one ERJ on UA.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 13):
Or MCI...or BHM...or IND...or RDU...I can think of several routes which seem to make more sense.

Indianapolis could use a nonstop to New Orleans again since Southwest seems to have abandoned the route...and they no longer serve Houston at the very least. United has the space there....

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 20):
Might possibly, but again this city pair was launched by TSA, not UA so I would doubt it.

Trans States is based in St. Louis and has a base there for their crews...whether flying United or American services.

Air1727

Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:10 pm

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 17):
All these flights from SAT and MSY (excluding the actual UA hubs) are at-risk flights operated by TSA, and has nothing to do with UA planning. TSA is launching these routes by themselves, and not being payed by United to operate this, however UA is getting no revenue off the actual flights either, except when TSA pays them for gate usage/ground handling in some cities. These flights have nothing to do with UA, just the paint on the side of the plane. It's basically a whole seperate operation.

Who told you that?

Indy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:10 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 21):
Indianapolis could use a nonstop to New Orleans again since Southwest seems to have abandoned the route

MSY is an FL destination right? Perhaps they pick it up some day.

uadc8contrail

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:04 pm

iowaman,
the new flts operated by tsa from sat and msy are a shared risk by-both-airlines(and it even includes shared costs for fuel). tsa has extra planes from the usair/air wisc deal and they gave all the other carriers a op to add planes...after no one took them up on the offer. ual and tsa came up with the shared risk flights idea. ual would never let a tsa plane in ual colors fly a route with out some type of revenue from that.

Air1727

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 24):
the new flts operated by tsa from sat and msy are a shared risk by-both-airlines(and it even includes shared costs for fuel). tsa has extra planes from the usair/air wisc deal and they gave all the other carriers a op to add planes...after no one took them up on the offer. ual and tsa came up with the shared risk flights idea. ual would never let a tsa plane in ual colors fly a route with out some type of revenue from that.

Exactly. Trans States does not make it up as they go. You don't fly around with someone elses service mark without the holder getting a piece of the pie. United knows exactly what is going on, they had a say in the route(s) at hand, and they make money on it.

usxguy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:45 pm

anyone ever bother to think this is an aircraft maintenance swap out? Its cheaper to run it as a scheduled flight and try to get some revenue on board versus an empty ferry flight to STL from SAT. Just happens that MSY may have more local traffic to STL than say SAT.

-n

roseflyer

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:46 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 16):
These flights have nothing to do with UA, just the paint on the side of the plane. It's basically a whole seperate operation.

I have read that yes these are flights being started by Trans States and they are the ones assuming all the risk. This is the same thing that Skywest has been doing for a number of years. I think the number for Skywest is that they can operate up to 10% of their flights with the United name and assume all risk, responsibility and profits. They operate a few routes in California under this contract I believe.

United does still have an effect on these flights. Passengers still get the huge added benefit of frequent flyer miles. Also the security of knowing that these flight are backed up by a big name like United that everyone has heard of instead of a small airline that no one has heard of.

N1120A

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:43 am

Quoting CRGsFuture (Reply 9):

There is no such thing as a CRJ-300, and these are being operated by ERJ-145s

I wish UAExp would consider a nonstop SHV-MSY - would be far more beneficial to them than STL-MSY which they will only compete with AA on.

MSY-STL was started in order to rotate the aircraft out of the system for MX. Fred and I have long talked of a plan to start a UA mini-hub/focus at MSY and a turboprop would be more appropriate for MSY-SHV

Quoting Air1727 (Reply 22):
Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 17):
All these flights from SAT and MSY (excluding the actual UA hubs) are at-risk flights operated by TSA, and has nothing to do with UA planning. TSA is launching these routes by themselves, and not being payed by United to operate this, however UA is getting no revenue off the actual flights either, except when TSA pays them for gate usage/ground handling in some cities. These flights have nothing to do with UA, just the paint on the side of the plane. It's basically a whole seperate operation.

Who told you that?

Trans States. These flights are at-risk to the point that TSA is covering the running costs as opposed to FPD. United gets a piece of every ticket sold, plus handling income.

MalpensaSFO

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:04 am

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 3):

TWA routed a STL-MEX flight via MSY in the late 1990's...

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 29):
TWA routed a STL-MEX flight via MSY in the late 1990's...

Actually that flight was routed JFK-MSY-MEX....TW708 and 709...operated with M80's...lasted for about a year before the MEX segment was switched to SAT.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos