keesje

A350: Best Of Both Worlds?

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:25 pm

Article about the A350 cockpit development & A380 commonality.

It may have taken its time deciding on the A350’s flightdeck philosophy, but Airbus is confident the rethink brings many benefits. “We pushed our design office strongly to have the A380’s technology, as we could not achieve the interactivity properly without adopting the new cockpit,” says Roy.

He adds: “The commonality with the A330 will make a lot of sense for today’s operators moving to the A350, while A380 operators can have mixed-fleet flying with the A350.”

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...5721/A350+best+of+both+worlds.html

It seems about the same strategy Boeing seems to follow with the 787 cockpit being based on the 777's cockpit.

Even though the 787 flight deck is much more advanced than that of the 777, Boeing's last all-new jet that was developed in the early 1990s, the goal was to create commonality with the 777. This will reduce airline pilot training costs. It should take no more than five days for a 777 pilot to learn to fly a 787.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/239635_air07.html

You can create a cockpit incorporating the latest insights & technology and you can have one offering maximum commonality with aircraft already in operation. Having both is a challenge for both Airbus and Boeing.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Oykie

RE: A350: Best Of Both Worlds?

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:44 pm

Thank you for providing updates on the cockpit design Keesje. With more and more technology, I guess the pilot can make all cockpits look like home, since he or she can have the information presented in the way she or he would like.

When I first read your thread, I thought you meant that the A350 was took the best from the old manufacturing techniques and introducing the very best of the 787 technology.  Smile
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas