StarGoldLHR
Topic Author

Manchester Airports

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:26 pm

Besides MAN which other airfields in the area could potentially be used ?

I heard a few years back there was some plan to fly from Barton Aerodrome ?

Is there an airfield near Chorley or North Manchester ?

Closest regular airfields I can think of are all quite wide...Liverpool, Blackpool, Leeds..
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

mhodgson

RE: Manchester Airports

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Thread starter):

Is there an airfield near Chorley or North Manchester ?

There is Woodford to the north-east. And Salmesbury (closed) near Preston. I'm not sure commercial traffic would work from either, though.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

cornish

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 1):
There is Woodford to the north-east

Watch this space with Woodford developments  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

gkirk

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:45 am

And Salmesbury (closed) near Preston. I'm not sure commercial traffic would work from either, though.

Definitely not from that one if it's closed  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MYT332

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Thread starter):
Is there an airfield near Chorley

Well I live in the borough of Chorley and I can assure you there isn't anything around here apart from Trevor Hemmings' helicopter than lands in my local village on his humongous estate.

There is also Warton near Preston where they build Eurofighter although that's bae so no chance.

There is Woodford to the north-east

South east.  Wink
One Life, Live it.

mhodgson

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:07 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
Definitely not from that one if it's closed

The runway etc is still in Situ, the site is in use by BAe. Not sure how long the runway is though!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

ZBA320

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 2):
Watch this space with Woodford developments Wink

Perhaps we'll see Ryanair there in a few years with 1p flights to France.  Wink

Woodford is owned by BAe and I attend a High School close by and see a few aircraft flying overhead a day.

The Runway is 2292 x 46m long.  Smile
An Engineer made a bet that a 747 Gear wouldn't retract in a Hangar. He lost the bet.

philb

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:02 am

Barton is a non starter. There are planning restrictions, the airfield is on the edge of Chat Moss bog and has suffered drainage problems in its present form, the M60 bridge is too close on the approach and it is destined to remain a light aircraft field.

Salmesbury is too close to Blackpool to be competitive, again, there are planning restrictions.

Woodford is still part of BAe (for as long as they still want to make/service aircraft). There are planning covenants and it is too close to Manchester Airport's arrival and departure routes for other than restricted use under NATS' operational standards. (The phrase "caution gliding at Woodford up to 1,250 ft" has been uttered tens of thousands of times by ATC to inbound aircraft over the years).

As for Ryanair and Manchester, Ryanair serve Manchester better than they serve any other city.

They serve Manchester Airport, Manchester North West (Blackpool), Manchester North East (Leeds) and Manchester West (Liverpool), all within a shorter distance from Manchester city centre than Hahn is to Frankfurt!

Humberside

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting Philb (Reply 7):
Barton is a non starter. There are planning restrictions, the airfield is on the edge of Chat Moss bog and has suffered drainage problems in its present form, the M60 bridge is too close on the approach and it is destined to remain a light aircraft field.

Also Barton is owned by Peel. Commercial flights here could have a negative affect on LPL
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum