KarlB737
Topic Author

Delta Plans Some Remodeling At ATL-Press Release

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:53 am

Press Release Source: Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Delta's Atlanta Airport Experience to Undergo a Major Makeover
Tuesday March 28, 11:00 am ET
Plans include adding 50 percent more lobby space and check-in options for customers

ATLANTA, March 28, 2006 (PRIMEZONE) -- Delta unveiled today that it will significantly improve its facility at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, giving its customers more space, convenience and check-in choices. Plans include adding over 50 percent more lobby space, 24 more self-service kiosks with international check-in capability, redesigned gate seating, a new Crown Room Club and 14 new lower-level full service check-in positions.

``As Delta customers take advantage of more than 24 new international destinations since September and new and expanded service to more than 30 U.S. cities offered from Atlanta, we want to deliver the conveniences they value, including more space, more check-in options and more comfort when they travel,'' said Rich Cordell, Senior Vice President of Airport Customer Service. ``Our goal is to provide the level of service and amenities customers expect when traveling through the world's largest hub.''

Delta's Atlanta hub facility upgrade will occur in two phases. Phase I, already underway, will offer the following benefits to Delta customers in early April:

-- Eighty self-service kiosks, including 24 kiosks that will
now offer U.S. customers the ability to check in for their
international flights. Last year, nearly 30 million
customers checked in using kiosks.
-- A new Crown Room Club on Concourse C. This will give
customers convenient access to seven Crown Room Clubs
on all five of six Concourses in Atlanta.
-- Newly-designed queuing system for First Class, Medallion
and BusinessElite customers.
-- Fourteen new lower-level, full-service check-in positions,
providing easy access for customer drop-off.

``We are very pleased to be partnering with Delta on this improvement project that makes traveling through Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport faster and more convenient for all Atlanta originating and connecting customers on Delta,'' said Ben DeCosta, Atlanta Airport General Manager. ``Delta's upgrades not only complement the facility enhancements now underway, but also contribute to the airport's overall mission, to be the world's best airport by exceeding customer expectations.''

Phase II, to be completed by summer, 2007, will offer customers:

-- A brand new lobby experience, featuring 50 percent more
space, electronic signage, and additional kiosks.
-- Gate area changes, including redesigned seating and new
carpeting in Concourses A, B and T. Work, quiet and
family areas will offer added comfort and privacy to
customers when traveling.

Even before customers arrive at Delta's newly-upgraded facility in Atlanta or any of Delta's 244 domestic airport locations, they can save time by using delta.com to print their boarding pass on-line. Customers can also quickly make changes to existing reservations by adding or changing flights, choosing alternate dates, times, or cities, and paying change fees with a credit card. With Delta's SkyMiles program Award Ticket functions at delta.com, members can now hold, retrieve, change or cancel Award Tickets with just a few clicks of a mouse.

Delta Air Lines (Other OTC:DALRQ.PK - News) is one of the world's fastest growing international carriers with more than 50 new international routes added or announced in the last year. Delta offers daily flights to 503 destinations in 94 countries on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, the Delta Connection carriers and its worldwide partners. In summer 2006, Delta plans to offer customers more destinations and departures between the U.S., Europe, India and Israel than any global airline, including service on 11 new trans-Atlantic routes from its Atlanta and New York-JFK hubs. Delta also is a major carrier to Mexico, South and Central America and the Caribbean, with more than 35 routes announced, added or applied to serve since Jan. 1, 2005. Delta's marketing alliances also allow customers to earn and redeem SkyMiles on more than 14,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes and check flight status at delta.com.

gigneil

RE: Delta Plans Some Remodeling At ATL-Press Release

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:57 am

Thank God,

Signed.
Every DL Medallion Ever

FLYACYYZ

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:02 am

For an airline that has no money, they seem to be spending it like it's going out of style. First on expansion, and now on renovations. Hmmm.
Above and Beyond

iluv747400

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting KarlB737 (Thread starter):
on all five of six Concourses in Atlanta

What does that mean??

steeler83

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:07 am

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 2):
For an airline that has no money, they seem to be spending it like it's going out of style. First on expansion, and now on renovations. Hmmm.

Yeah, how are they doing all of this while in backrupcy...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

USPIT10L

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:09 am

I seem to recall DL also announcing that Concourse C was getting a major facelift. When that concourse opened, it was EA's exclusively, and not long after they failed (about two to three years later) DL took over half of Concourse C. Those gates were never designed with RJs and regional aircraft in mind. Now DL wants to refurbish and remodel it to be a regional facility. Of course, all that talk was before the bankruptcy, but I do remember reading about it in a Delta Digest.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

gigneil

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:09 am

Its easy. They're not out of money.

N

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:21 am

All financed by pilot paycuts. I'm glad to see how bad they really are hurting for money.

Next in the news: more bonuses for management.
Chicks dig winglets.

jrlander

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:23 am

I don't think Delta is paying for all of this themselves- it is in the Atlanta airport's best interest to renovate the tired concourses.

deltagator

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:24 am

-- A new Crown Room Club on Concourse C. This will give
customers convenient access to seven Crown Room Clubs
on all five of six Concourses in Atlanta.

About time. It seems that the D Concourse will be left out of the equation despite a fair amount of gates down at the north end.

Plans include adding over 50 percent more lobby space

I guess those baggage scanning machines are pretty big. I have no idea how they are going accomplish this one without blasting out a wall here or there.

14 new lower-level full service check-in positions

That is already down there. I guess they may be adding a few terminals but the space is used now for the curbside service. They need to change the signs in the roads leading up to the terminal because that lower level says something along the lines of shuttle busses.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

deltagator

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:27 am

Quoting Iluv747400 (Reply 3):

What does that mean??

It means that out of the 6 concourses at ATL (T, A, B, C, D, and E) that there will be a CRC in 5 of them (T, A, B, C, and E)

I just read the sentence again and realized the typo. Oh well, welcome to Atlanta and the brilliant Atlanta City Schools education system.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

airwave

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:32 am

Interesting. Tune in next week for another exciting adventure in the continuing saga of DL!

Quoting Iluv747400 (Reply 3):

What does that mean??

I think that means that, of the five of the six Concourses from which DL operates, all of them (the five) will feature a Crown Room Club. Just a guess.

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

deltaffindfw

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:34 am

"-- Newly-designed queuing system for First Class, Medallion
and BusinessElite customers."

What does this mean?

KarlB737
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:32 am

Courtesy: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ATL To Get Second 'People Mover' Train

http://www.airportbusiness.com/artic.../article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=5920

airwave

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:44 am

Quoting DeltaFFinDFW (Reply 12):

What does this mean?

Could mean that DL's created and will institute new boarding procedures that are very favorable to those three groups. Or a new tiered system for using reward miles; the higher groups get priority...something like that.

Airwave  eyebrow 

DL4EVR

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:53 am

Quoting Airwave (Reply 14):

What does this mean?

Could mean that DL's created and will institute new boarding procedures that are very favorable to those three groups. Or a new tiered system for using reward miles; the higher groups get priority...something like that.

I'm assuming this applies to DL customers systemwide...?
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

OttoPylit

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:14 am

What does this mean?

It means, when checking in at the ticket counter, there will be the little signs above each agent, and when they are ready for the next customer, the little light will flash or whatever. Keep in mind that many times, just because someone walks away from the ticket counter means that they are ready for the next person to walk right up. The queuing system will smooth everything out without the agent having to call "NEXT!" all the time.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

ncflyer

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:20 am

what a waste of money. Why is it that the best run legacies, such as CO and AA, spend little to no money on flat panel monitors on all their gates and coming up with new fangled paint schemes. . ..

B777-700

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:37 am

Quoting Ncflyer (Reply 17):
what a waste of money. Why is it that the best run legacies, such as CO and AA, spend little to no money on flat panel monitors on all their gates and coming up with new fangled paint schemes. . ..

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 7):
All financed by pilot paycuts. I'm glad to see how bad they really are hurting for money.

Next in the news: more bonuses for management.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 4):
Yeah, how are they doing all of this while in backrupcy...

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 2):

Amazing how DL is damned for doing things to actually try and improve customer service, and in turn, make money.

You people are impossible.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

PGV

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:42 am

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 7):

Took the words right out of my mouth...

Quoting Ncflyer (Reply 17):
Why is it that the best run legacies, such as CO and AA, spend little to no money on flat panel monitors on all their gates and coming up with new fangled paint schemes

Ironic isn't it? We got US crawling outta the grave, UA can't find the exit door outta the bankruptcy room, and I haven't been through DTW or MSP in so long...so I won't even touch NW. But I've heard enough of their drivers talk about the games going on there.
"To hell with a Ferrari...give me a Super 70!"

DeltaSFO

RE: Delta Plans Some Remodeling At ATL-Press Relea

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 pm

Does nobody understand the concept of revenue driven enhancements?

The "experts" of airliners.net can't seem to decide what Delta should do. They cut costs, the armchair CEOs criticize. They spend money to try to drive revenue improvements, the armchair CEOs criticize.

But you know what the funny thing is? Despite the fact that bankruptcy is a risky process with serious long term consequences, if they can just get an agreement with the pilots, Delta will probably be okay. I didn't think it was possible, but maybe it is. Maybe there's a reason why they are running the airline, and we're just posting on airliners.net.

[Edited 2006-03-29 04:12:48]
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

luv2fly

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 16):
The queuing system will smooth everything out without the agent having to call "NEXT!" all the time.

Otto now we have to get customers that can read. Hope it works out in the end.
You can cut the irony with a knife

airwave

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 21):
now we have to get customers that can read.

Or, heaven help us, ones who pay attention.  scratchchin 

Airwave  eyebrow 

PGV

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting DeltaSFO (Reply 20):
Maybe there's a reason why they are running the airline, and we're just posting on airliners.net.

You have a valid point. And while I don't disagree wtih you, pretty much the airline's financial position indicates they have not done a good job at running the show. So...that allows us to question their motives today...and whether or not they have the ability to run that airline.

I would like to know just how much of this bill the city of Atlanta is picking up.

steeler83

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 18):
Amazing how DL is damned for doing things to actually try and improve customer service, and in turn, make money.

You people are impossible.

And you make me out to be this ogre bashing DL. I was only asking a simple question, not necessarily attacking DL. Frankly, I like what they are doing; I am just surprised that they were doing all of this at once instead of doing it one step at a time. WHat they are doing is rather wise in persuading more people to fly their airline and bring in more money.

Come to think of it, I thought they were rather smart in expanding their international service as they seem to be making money for the airline. With this added service, they would need some improvements to their terminal at ATL... There, I just ripped on my own post
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

FLYACYYZ

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:47 pm

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 18):

Take a breath! I'm a firm believer in the old saying, "you have to spend money to make money". My point is...where is the money coming from? According to the CEO, the well is dry.
Above and Beyond

DeltaSFO

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:51 pm

Quoting PGV (Reply 23):
You have a valid point. And while I don't disagree wtih you, pretty much the airline's financial position indicates they have not done a good job at running the show. So...that allows us to question their motives today...and whether or not they have the ability to run that airline.

Well, the senior executives that managed the company into bankruptcy are gone. Jerry Grinstein is acknowledged by most groups, except for the cynical Delta ALPA leadership, to be a guy who genuinely cares about Delta and its people. Moreover, he is credited with managing an ailing Western Airlines back to health and putting them in a position where the Delta merger was possible. Jim Whitehurst is also proving himself to be an extremely capable executive. I wouldn't want any other team running Delta right now.
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

steeler83

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 25):
Take a breath! I'm a firm believer in the old saying, "you have to spend money to make money". My point is...where is the money coming from? According to the CEO, the well is dry.

That was my point in my post above as well... Thanks pal  Smile

ncflyer

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:03 pm

B777-700, have you ever flown AirTrain in Boston? I have, many times. That terminal defines the word DUMP. It is crowded, hot, food is far away, run down, dirty. Yet flying Airtran is still a wonderful experience. Not a flat panel monitor in site, somehow they seem to load planes just fine with the little signs that slide in and out to show the city. The planes run on time and the airfare is cheap-- I never pay more than $150 from CAK to BOS. I'm not a airline worker so I don't really konw, but I think you can have an easier time convincing labor to pinch pennies and work hard when they see the company is doing the same in other areas. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE GLITZ IN THE TERMINAL. It's about management running a company in sync with its employees.

steeler83

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting Ncflyer (Reply 28):
AirTrain in Boston? I have, many times. That terminal defines the word DUMP. It is crowded, hot, food is far away, run down, dirty.

That sounds like concourses B-E in PHL, perhaps I could formulate a similar argument regarding WN in PHL, and how I flew on WN to PHL just for the fact that there was a reasonably priced air carrier at PIT to serve that route...

B777-700

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:26 pm

B777-700, have you ever flown AirTrain in Boston? I have, many times. That terminal defines the word DUMP.

You say that as if it's something to be proud of...

Not a flat panel monitor in site,

That's because they dont NEED it.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE GLITZ IN THE TERMINAL

It's about improving the customer experience. When things are insufficient, you IMPROVE them. That's good business. Yet somehow DL gets bashed on here for it.

You are further proof that passengers will gladly eat a plate of $h!t if it's means $49 fares.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

worldtraveler

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:06 pm

It's not a question of glitzy terminals.... ATL was built 25 years ago for a much smaller crowd. DL simply doesn't have the room to accommodate the volumes of passengers they handle at ATL. It's about getting people through the ticket counter area to their flight without them missing it - and that has happened very often during peak periods because people can't even move because there are too many passengers - and that's with every ticketing position open. believe me I've seen it and it ain't pretty. and there are people who will not fly some airlines because their ground facilities are substandard. A discount carrier can get away with it in one city or two but a full-service airline cannot at its hometown airport. If you can't service the passengers with some modicum of civility, they will fly other airlines and all of your efforts to transform the airline have been in vain.

as for the cost, yes DL is spending money but you also have to realize that the creditors have a pretty strong voice about what can be spent during BK and they are going along with this and the airplane interior upgrades that are going with it. these changes clearly say that the creditors do have a strong belief that DL will restructure successfully. I might add that UA and US are both clear examples of airlines that spent very little on facility or aircraft upgrades during bankruptcy and it showed by the time they emerged. UA for one is now spending millions to replace broken and outdated computer equipment, aircraft seats and fixtures, and terminal furnishings. There is a basic minimum level of expenditure that has to happen or the wheels begin to fall off the wagon. The creditors and management are well aware that failing to invest in the business so that it can succeed is tantamount to choosing to let it fail.

As for those fancy gate information screens, it is obvious that the lines at Delta's gates have all but disappeared and just about any domestic flight can now be worked by a single agent with one more to help when it's time to board widebodies. Customers want information and to know what is happening - the automated announcements and the gate screens do that very effectively. I have witnessed another airline that has tried to mimic the DL gate system but it is much less effective both in terms of the info presented and their customers are up at the counter asking for info. Looks to me that DL has succeeded.

gigneil

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:10 pm

Quoting PGV (Reply 19):
UA can't find the exit door outta the bankruptcy room

UA exited bankruptcy in Feburary.

N

PGV

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 32):
UA exited bankruptcy in Feburary.

Yeah I picked the wrong one, meant to refer to how many attempts it took them. Although I thought I read something today about some top execs of theirs now wanting like $5 or $6 million bucks over money they were cheated out of during the bankruptcy?! Classic...bring the beast back to life and then stab it just for old time's sake.

steeler83

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:31 pm

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 31):
ATL was built 25 years ago for a much smaller crowd. DL simply doesn't have the room to accommodate the volumes of passengers they handle at ATL.

Uh, I thought that the old ATL terminal closed in the early '90s while a newer more up-to-date terminal opened up to serve Atlanta more accordingly. I remember because when the old greater PIT closed, it tied ATL for the largest terminal to be abandoned in one day... oh, wait... nevermind, I thought the two closed around the same time. ATL closed some time in the early 80s... Pardon the post...

Courtesy of oldterminals.topcities.com...

litz

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:56 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 34):
Uh, I thought that the old ATL terminal closed in the early '90s while a newer more up-to-date terminal opened up to serve Atlanta more accordingly. I remember because when the old greater PIT closed, it tied ATL for the largest terminal to be abandoned in one day... oh, wait... nevermind, I thought the two closed around the same time. ATL closed some time in the early 80s... Pardon the post...

Earlier than that, actually ... the original "current" airport opened in 1980.

It consisted of the Termnal and four concourses. International flights left from the main terminal (where 1/2 the T gates are currently) and all domestic flights left from the four concourses. Remnants of the International T gates are the "AA/UA" security checkpoint by the British Airways desk, the AA baggage claim downstairs, and (of course) the gates themselves.

For the Olympics in '96, they added on to the T-gates (doubling capacity) and moved all the international flights to the new "E" concourse.

Next expansion, if they can stop fighting over the design and funding, is the new international terminal - which will eliminate (finally!) the double check for baggage on international arrivals.

Along the way has been the 5th runway, Airtran's hangar, the new control tower (speaking of which - bids are up on the Hartsfield website for demolition of the old tower), the underground baggage screening facility, and all the new carpet/lighting they've put in the concourses.

- litz

fewsolarge

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:59 pm

Quoting Litz (Reply 35):
For the Olympics in '96, they added on to the T-gates (doubling capacity) and moved all the international flights to the new "E" concourse.

Concourse T (then just called the International Concourse) was expanded in the mid 80s to meet international demand, well before the Olympic bid was launched. The only transaction that happened in 1994 there was that the gates were turned over to domestic airlines.

panamair

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:51 pm

B777-700, have you ever flown AirTrain in Boston? I have, many times. That terminal defines the word DUMP. It is crowded, hot, food is far away, run down, dirty. Yet flying Airtran is still a wonderful experience. Not a flat panel monitor in site, somehow they seem to load planes just fine with the little signs that slide in and out to show the city. The planes run on time and the airfare is cheap-- I never pay more than $150 from CAK to BOS.

DL's customer base is wider than AirTran's and there are plenty of DL customers (e.g., international, premium ones) who WOULD mind dealing with dirty, crowded terminals, who want nice lounges to relax in, who want more efficient check-in lines. You forget that DL has passengers who pay $6000 roundtrip to go across the pond and most, if not all, of them expect to have a nice airport experience as well.

I'm not a airline worker so I don't really konw, but I think you can have an easier time convincing labor to pinch pennies and work hard when they see the company is doing the same in other areas. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE GLITZ IN THE TERMINAL. It's about management running a company in sync with its employees.

Actually, I think you will find that most employees will have no issues with spending money on terminal renovations or aircraft interior refurbishment, etc.; do you think an employee likes to work in a filthy, crowded, and hot environment? Employees also appreciate having a better product (and that includes the check-in and airport experience) to sell as it makes their job easier overall as well.

FlyPNS1

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 31):
As for those fancy gate information screens, it is obvious that the lines at Delta's gates have all but disappeared and

Obviously, you don't fly Delta very often. DL has the same lines at the gate as every other airline. The screens are nice, but they don't make a big difference. People still hang around the podiums and harass the gate agents.

YANQUI67

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:56 pm

Tomorrow my fellow ex-AMTs are getting walked out in the latest RIF. Thats how Delta could afford to pay for all this BS they got going on. As far as Greinstein that guy is the A-hole who hired Leo Mullin and his chronies and ran this airline to the ground. I have no respect for any management people at Delta. They have destroyed a once proud airline. I used to be proud to let people know that i worked for them, not anymore. I left a year ago and good riddance. They need a complete makeover of management. They all need to go!

panamair

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:58 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 38):
DL has the same lines at the gate as every other airline. The screens are nice, but they don't make a big difference. People still hang around the podiums and harass the gate agents

While I wouldn't say the lines have disappeared, they have shortened in many cases as most frequent flyers now no longer approach the gate agents at the podium to find out whether they are on the upgrade list or whether their upgrade has cleared or to receive a new boarding pass in the upgraded class...

slider

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:16 am

So this is what "rearranging the deck chairs" is truly all about, huh?

Wink

USPIT10L

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting PGV (Reply 33):
Yeah I picked the wrong one, meant to refer to how many attempts it took them.

Yes, for the amount of time United wasted in bankruptcy court, it seemed like they'd been there before, but trust me, UA's only been through bankruptcy once. Airway One, A Narrative of United Air Lines, and its Leaders, by Robert E. Johnson, a former executive of UA and Hard Landing, by Thomas Petzinger, Jr. are both excellent works on airline history. Please review your facts before posting.

dairbus

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:08 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 9):
Plans include adding over 50 percent more lobby space

I guess those baggage scanning machines are pretty big. I have no idea how they are going accomplish this one without blasting out a wall here or there.

As I understand it, once the new baggage system in the south terminal is up and running, the machines in the lobby will be removed since they will now be integrated into the new system.

Here is a media picture of part of the new lobby redesign. The area in the picture has already been remodeled and is located at the far east end of the south terminal where the AF check-in counters used to be.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h273/dairbus/ATLLobby.jpg
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

USPIT10L

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:25 am

Quoting DAirbus (Reply 43):
Here is a media picture of part of the new lobby redesign. The area in the picture has already been remodeled and is located at the far east end of the south terminal where the AF check-in counters used to be.

I like it. Now if only the smaller stations could get a taste of this new service model. I always liked DL's service, although I must admit, I liked the service I got at my home station best of all. Can't beat home!

DAL767400ER

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:30 am

Here is a media picture of part of the new lobby redesign.

That's ATL? Wow, I can say I'm positively surprised at that new look, really like it over the old look. Nice and bright, not dull and dark, as previously.

ps: It amazes me people still try to reason with Multi-Identity Man  Wink .

PGV

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 42):
Yes, for the amount of time United wasted in bankruptcy court, it seemed like they'd been there before, but trust me, UA's only been through bankruptcy once. Airway One, A Narrative of United Air Lines, and its Leaders, by Robert E. Johnson, a former executive of UA and Hard Landing, by Thomas Petzinger, Jr. are both excellent works on airline history. Please review your facts before posting.

sigh  Oh if it weren't for everybody wanting to be the teacher on this board it would be no fun at all. I was referring to how many attempts (extensions, missed deadlines, whatever term makes it more clear) it took them to exit. Since I've learned enough in this industry...I'll save the reading about it for retirement.

USPIT10L

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:56 am

Point well taken, PGV. It's just so many people ask the same questions over and over on here, that's all. I agree, it took them waaay too long to get out, but that's what the old Chapter 11 rules allowed you to do. Airline history happens to be one of my hobbies.

steeler83

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 45):
That's ATL? Wow, I can say I'm positively surprised at that new look, really like it over the old look. Nice and bright, not dull and dark, as previously.

So do I, now if only they could do something like this regarding PHL. That is supremely dark and outdated.

I like it. Now if only the smaller stations could get a taste of this new service model. I always liked DL's service, although I must admit, I liked the service I got at my home station best of all. Can't beat home!

Nice to see some loyalty on here  Wink

PGV

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 47):
Airline history happens to be one of my hobbies.

That's not a bad thing! I do enjoy reading the history side around the pioneers and pilots. I worked with some Flying Tiger and Reeves guys, and an old Texas cropduster...talk about wild stories. I've just gotten to a point I don't even want to read about all the bs around the operations of today. But speaking of Delta...you may enjoy the book Frequent Flyer. I can't remember who wrote it, but it was written in the late 80's, early 90's before downfalls. The author was given jumpseat privs at Delta and spent quite an amount of time learning the business there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos