richardw

Spanish Airports Using 3 Letter Airline Codes

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:18 am

They seem to use them even when the airline doesn't, a bit confusing, any reason?

[Edited 2006-03-29 16:23:51]

AirScoot

RE: Spanish Airports Using 3 Letter Airline Codes

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:22 am

I don't think it's strictly a Spanish airport issue. I've been to a number of places where airlines like JetBlue will show up as JBL instead of B6.

FlyDeltaJets

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:31 am

If its on an arrival or departure screen I don't think that they are reallly trying to use the IATA code. I think they are just shortening the name of the airline to fit more information on the screen.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:33 am

This is quite normal - ICAO messaging for movements etc use 3-character ICAO carrier codes rather than 2-character IATA codes, and the airport display systems are updated by these types of message. Also a number of charter operators only use 3-character codes
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

richardw

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:51 am

Displaying codes in the format that the airline uses in its communication to passengers would make things easier. Using a mixture would not be that difficult.

Glom

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:53 am

Shouldn't we all just switch to ICAO? It would be simpler. It would also help you to know what country your airport is in.

reyes27

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting Glom (Reply 5):
Shouldn't we all just switch to ICAO? It would be simpler. It would also help you to know what country your airport is in.

I dont think you should be going to an airport if you don't know which country it is in!  Wink

BDKLEZ

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:44 am

I remember a number of years ago, we were hearing that in due course, all 2 character airline designators were to be phased out and only the ICAO codes were to be used. This was about 6 years ago now and still this seem not to have come to any fruition at all. Did anyone else hear such a thing?

Also, in terms of what is displayed on public information screens, this information comes from the airport and how the airport and how the airport chooses to administer that information behind the scenes. The flight to which all of this information then relates, is shown in such a manner on the screen.

This is why we sometimes see seemingly "incorrect" or spurious flights displayed on the screens. To the general public, they might seem odd, but a positioning flight or a training flight may appear, when it of course should not, because of the way that the information pertaining to that flight has been coded or administered.

wave 
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

lincoln

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:53 pm

Quoting Reyes27 (Reply 6):
I dont think you should be going to an airport if you don't know which country it is in!

You need to travel more  Wink. During February, there were times when I didn't know what state, city, or even timezone I was in with absolute certanty. I even left a friend a voicemal to the effect of "Hi [name], I'm in, uh, well, wherever I was suposed to be, I think. I have about an hour before my next flight, so if you want to give me a call..." (I'm pretty sure I was in IAH at the time, though it may have been ATL, or any number of other places)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:46 pm

Quoting Glom (Reply 5):

Can't be done. The industry has still not established all the standards for inter-system messaging (for GDS's/CRS certainly) related to 3-character carrier codes, and as far as I'm aware, only Amadeus supports the few rules that do exist for 3 character carrier codes.

As for replacing 3-character airport codes with 4-character ICAO codes, this won't ever ever happen. If anything were to change, it would be to use the 5-character codes used by ferries and railway systems.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers