UAL DC8 At Los Angeles Aviation Museum

Thu Jun 08, 2000 7:19 am

Dose anyone know regarding the United Airlines DC8 over at the Los Angeles Museum which is next to USC?.
or any pictures of her.. it's nice to see still a DC8 in Ual colors.  

LatinPlane

RE: UAL DC8 At Los Angeles Aviation Museum

Thu Jun 08, 2000 10:19 am

Hello!

It was donated by United to the museum of science and industry back in 1984 during the Olympics. United was the official 1984 Los Angeles Olympic games airline.

I which I could send you some pictures of her but, I took them about 10 years ago and I the're somewhere at storage. The DC-8 along with an old DC-3 is located accross the street from the University of Southern California Los Angeles.

Latinplane  
Apollo Diaz
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

desertjets

Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:01 pm

Here are a few good shots of some classic 8's in the Friendship Livery

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Tom Hildreth

Click for large version

Photo © Tom Hildreth

Click for large version

Photo © Tom Hildreth

Click for large version

Photo © AirNikon

That's about every single type that UA operated... except for the Super 70's.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Thu Jun 08, 2000 2:05 pm

Here is a shot of it that I took last February:

http://www.geocities.com/silagi/laualdc8.jpg

Thu Jun 08, 2000 9:01 pm

thanks for the information and picture i wonder what she looks like inside and can she still fly!!

fanofjets

Thu Jun 08, 2000 11:14 pm

I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to see the old 'eight five years ago; it was a wonderful experience to be able to walk around this graceful bird (though fences keep people from getting too close) and admire her from various angles as if I were just about to board her for a long flight. Unfortunately, there is access to the interior (I wish there had been!).

This DC-8 is a series 50, one of the "newer" turbofan-powered versions built in the mid 1960s; her name, appropriately enough, is "City of Los Angeles."

It is highly unlikely this aircraft could ever fly again, even assuming all systems are in place. First, the aircraft has occupied the same space since 1984. Second, the plane had to be dismantled to transport it to its display area, where it was subsequently reassembled.

Nevertheless, I am gratified to see a preserved specimen of my favorite childhood airliner; hopefully, some enterprising organization will offer Ship One, currently stored, the same treatment!
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery