deaphen

Aviation Terminology Explained

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:49 am

Hey:

Wheni first came to airliners.net, i couldnt understand half of the terminology used by most posters. Things like Rotating, etc used to mean "Taking off".

Though i know what they mean now, i wonder why such terms have been given to these situations.

Can anyone explain why taking off is called "ROTATION" and what exactly does "LONG APPROACH" and "SHORT FINALS" mean? I am sure there are alot of you who can post other terminology which helps people who are in the dark!

Thanks
Deaphen
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

YYZAeroEng

RE: Aviation Terminology Explained

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:34 am

Rotation literally refers to aircraft rotating during its ground roll.

At a certain speed the pilot will deflect the elevators causing the nose of the aircraft to pitch up, and increase the lift produced by the wings. That pitching up of the nose is the rotation.
Mind that Bus! What bus? *Splat!*

Goldenshield

RE: Aviation Terminology Explained

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting Deaphen (Thread starter):
SHORT FINALS

The term you want is "short final." The extended version of this phrase is "short final approach," with 'final' being an adjective describing the phase in the approach; however, with the need to reduce radio time, the word 'approach' was dropped in order to expedite the message. Hence, "short final." This phrase is used to describe a position on the final leg that is less than what would be considered standard for that airfield.

If the die-hards of "short finals" want to get argumentative about it, then ask them how many approaches a sailplane can have during any given flight.  Wink
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.