luisca

Delta To Start 2nd Daily ATL-PTY

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:22 am

Panamanian Newspaper El Panama America is reporting that Delta has stated plans to start a second daily ATL-PTY flight. No word on the times it would be operating or anything else, just that it would presumably be a 738. DL operates a daily 757 to PTY.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

Avianca

RE: Delta To Start 2nd Daily ATL-PTY

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Luisca (Thread starter):
Panamanian Newspaper El Panama America is reporting that Delta has stated plans to start a second daily ATL-PTY flight. No word on the times it would be operating or anything else, just that it would presumably be a 738. DL operates a daily 757 to PTY.

thanks for the information!

a question when did DL changed the currently daily flight to 757? they operated the route before with 737-800 + I saw they will switch back mid April to the 737-800
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

luisca

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 1):
a question when did DL changed the currently daily flight to 757? they operated the route before with 737-800 + I saw they will switch back mid April to the 737-800

They Changed it in mid December, it will be switched back to a 757 in the summer and then back to 737 in the fall until December again; at least that was the plan before the announced 2nd daily. With the new flights we could see 2 738s permanently.

PTY is a huge O&D Market for the New York and Atlanta area, so Delta is doing really well, not to mention that with the Boom in European tourism in Panama and lack of available seats in Iberia and NM DL is doing really well in connections from Europe.

In related news, there was an article saying that tourism in Panama is growing about 20% a year, and tourism from Europe is growing even faster, about 35% a year. At the rate it is going tourism to Panama originating from the EU will be larger than the originating from Canada in 2 years.

DAL767400ER

Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:26 am

Good news if true. Wonder how DL would schedule the flights though. The current flight is pretty well suited for connections to and from Europe, which begs the question of whether the other flight would be timed for Euro connections as well, or more for domestic connections. Too bad that the flight from PTY is too short to make a redeye work.

2travel2know

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 3):
Wonder how DL would schedule the flights though. The current flight is pretty well suited for connections to and from Europe, which begs the question of whether the other flight would be timed for Euro connections as well, or more for domestic connections. Too bad that the flight from PTY is too short to make a redeye work.

If DL and CM come closer (CM is trying to become a full SkyTeam member), DL could be flying in/out PTY at CM hub hours.
However, they could aslo fly to/from PTY daytime like they do in some Centralamerican destinations. This schedule may be great for those late evening ATL-Europe flights.
As for ATL-PTY-ATL redeyes, I was surprised they never try to do them with the aircraft they keep overninght in PTY; A PTY-ATL arriving ATL at 0500h and ATL-PTY departing ATL at 2300h may work some days December and January.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

luisca

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 3):
Good news if true. Wonder how DL would schedule the flights though. The current flight is pretty well suited for connections to and from Europe, which begs the question of whether the other flight would be timed for Euro connections as well, or more for domestic connections. Too bad that the flight from PTY is too short to make a redeye work.

i guess the current schedule will be used by people connecting to Europe and the new one will be more widely used by O&D, maybe they can even Codeshare with their skyteam partner CM on flights to secondary Colombian cities (Atlanta has the largest Expat Colombian community in the US)

Avianca

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:45 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 5):
i guess the current schedule will be used by people connecting to Europe and the new one will be more widely used by O&D, maybe they can even Codeshare with their skyteam partner CM on flights to secondary Colombian cities (Atlanta has the largest Expat Colombian community in the US)

good idea, but remember Delta is already code-sharing to Colombian citys from Bogota on Avianca flights.

DAL767400ER

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:46 pm

^^Good arguments, didn't even think about the possibility of DL codesharing with CM, particularly with CM becoming a Skyteam Associate.
As far as a redeye goes, to arrive at ATL within their operating hours (starting at 5 am), the flight would have to leave PTY at around 1am.

RCS763AV

Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 5):
(Atlanta has the largest Expat Colombian community in the US)

No, New York and South Florida do.

I see this as the start of a big codeshare agreement with CM.

Avianca

Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 8):
No, New York and South Florida do.

true, but the Atlanta community is growing and growing.

regards
Avianca