bhxdtw

AI From BHX .. More Flights!

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:41 am

Sorry if this has already been posted,
did a search and couldnt find much....

Guess this service is going to go from strength to strength ?
Hope they dont push T5 out though... Turkmenistan have been at BHX for a while now and hope they stay !
Will be interesting to see how AI will react if and when QR come to town...they have a high cariety of Indian routes for connecting pax.

Joe

Air India Doubles Operation from BIA

After just a year of operating from Birmingham International Airport (BIA), Air India has announced that it is doubling its Amritsar/Delhi and Toronto services from 1st May 2006. The news comes following the overwhelming success of its initial operation, which has carried more than 100,000 people since it started from Birmingham in June last year. The Indian flagship carrier will double its frequencies, offering six weekly flights to Amritsar/Delhi and six per week to Toronto.

Mr Madhav Lokur, Regional Manager for Air India is delighted with the public’s reaction to the services following last year’s launch. He said, “The response in the Midlands has been overwhelming. Since June 2005, we have carried over 24,000 passengers between Birmingham and India, and nearly 10,000 between Birmingham and Toronto, and many thousands more transit passengers between India and Canada.

“In response to this positive and growing demand, we are launching three extra services a week to both India and Canada, providing even greater choice for travellers in all three countries. I thank the Airport for its continued support and hope that passengers welcome and use the increased capacity with Air India from Birmingham.”

Birmingham is the airline’s only UK base outside London. The service, which originates in Delhi, provides the only year round direct scheduled service between Amritsar, Birmingham and Toronto.

Leader of Birmingham City Council, Councillor Mike Whitby, campaigned to increase these services from the outset, and recently wrote a letter to the Indian Aviation Minister on behalf of the Midlands’ Asian community to encourage more traffic between Birmingham and India. Mr Whitby said, “The key to a thriving city is having a successful airport which provides excellent air transport links throughout the world. Birmingham Airport has a bright future, particularly if airlines, like Air India, continue to show confidence in the region and take advantage of emerging global markets to enhance the city’s presence on an international stage. Birmingham is a truly multicultural city so I welcome this news on behalf of Birmingham’s Asian community, and urge people to make use of the growing number of long-haul services available from their local airport.”

Air India will continue to operate Boeing 777-200 aircraft on the route, which hold 292 passengers in a mixed configuration.

Humberside

RE: AI From BHX .. More Flights!

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:03 am

Are Jet Airways still wanting to start DEL-Amritsar-BHX-YYZ?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

soups

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:07 am

There is a big indian community especially around soho road. Also a big community in nearby Leicester (Belgrave road)
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

David_itl

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting BHXDTW (Thread starter):
(BHX blurb)which has carried more than 100,000 people since it started from Birmingham in June last year.

Perhaps BHX can have a word with AI to find out the number of passengers on the route, per the following?

Quoting BHXDTW (Thread starter):
(From Air India's rep) Since June 2005, we have carried over 24,000 passengers between Birmingham and India, and nearly 10,000 between Birmingham and Toronto

At a rough guess, it's 100 passengers per flight routing ATQ-DEL-BHX-DEL-ATQ - I wonder if they would ever consider just making it a "local" route and not do a BHX-YYZ-BHX, and making it ATQ-DEL-YYZ-DEL-ATQ using 777s and ATQ-DEL-BHX-DEL-ATQ using A310s.

David

Concorde001

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 1):

I think they were only considering DEL-ATQ-BHX with no onward to Canada. I'm not too sure if they want to begin flights to BHX as the Indian minister for Aviation, Praful Patel, gave Jet clearance to fly ATQ-LHR after they requested permission to fly the route. It's likely the route will start some time this year when they receive their A332.
RE: Jet Airways To Start Amritsar-London (by Concorde001 Feb 22 2006 in Civil Aviation)#ID2619698

The Indian High Commission in London also reported the news:
http://hcilondon.net/hciserv/NewsInd...x?source=newsdetails&NewsCode=2878

CHI787ORD

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:03 am

Quoting Concorde001 (Reply 4):
I think they were only considering DEL-ATQ-BHX with no onward to Canada. I'm not too sure if they want to begin flights to BHX as the Indian minister for Aviation, Praful Patel, gave Jet clearance to fly ATQ-LHR after they requested permission to fly the route. It's likely the route will start some time this year when they receive their A332

I think that DEL-ATQ-BHX isn't what 9W wants to fly anymore. At the risk of putting too much capacity on the route, and spoiling it for everyone, they're looking at LHR now. Nevertheless, DEL-ATQ-LHR will be just as profitable if not more that the BHX flights because of the possibilities for onward connections in JFK/EWR, YVR, ORD, SFO...etc.... all of which are major punjabi diaspora cities.

freqflyer

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:17 am

Quoting Soups (Reply 2):
Also a big community in nearby Leicester

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 5):
I think that DEL-ATQ-BHX isn't what 9W wants to fly anymore. At the risk of putting too much capacity on the route, and spoiling it for everyone, they're looking at LHR now

The Leicester community is mainly Gujarati. Yesterdays edition of the Times Of India, (Ahmedabad edition) newspaper had an article on the modernisation of Ahmedabad airport mentions that Jet is now planning AMD-BHX to cater to the large and affluent Gujarati community there. AI has AMD-LHR direct , EK does well on their BHX flights with Gujarati pax. Meanwhile AMD will get a new international terminal building in about two and a half years from now. It is being designed by the designers of Changi airport and will be much bigger than the existing one , which is worse than a village bus-stop

bhxdtw

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting David_itl (Reply 3):
At a rough guess, it's 100 passengers per flight routing ATQ-DEL-BHX-DEL-ATQ - I wonder if they would ever consider just making it a "local" route and not do a BHX-YYZ-BHX, and making it ATQ-DEL-YYZ-DEL-ATQ using 777s and ATQ-DEL-BHX-DEL-ATQ using A310s.

David

Possible, but how would want to deprive BHX of 777's ?

Quoting Freqflyer (Reply 6):
AI has AMD-LHR direct

Really ? How long has this been going ? and what Acft ? if AI still use their 744's into LHR then that makes the 777 of AI a rare-ish acft in Britain...

cricket

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:30 pm

9W wanted to start a DEL-ATQ-BHX service because the A340-300 which was to be used on the proposed BOM-BRU-EWR service was lying idle at BOM after the US DHS never gave 9W permission to strat US service. However now 9W is starting a second daily BOM-LHR flight with that aircraft.
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

bhxdtw

Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:43 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 8):
9W wanted to start a DEL-ATQ-BHX service because the A340-300 which was to be used on the proposed BOM-BRU-EWR service was lying idle at BOM after the US DHS never gave 9W permission to strat US service. However now 9W is starting a second daily BOM-LHR flight with that aircraft.

So is BHX still in the running at some point to receive 9W ?

Would be nice to see a regular A340 service or another 777 service.

cricket

Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:20 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 9):
So is BHX still in the running at some point to receive 9W ?

Not with the 340's - but maybe once the A330's start coming later this year 9W would look at increasing their UK presence beyond LHR.
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

mrniji

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting Freqflyer (Reply 6):
The Leicester community is mainly Gujarati.

Interesting!! (and welcome to anet!): why is this so? Does it have to do with the textile factories in Leicester and the connection to "former" local production in Gujarat?

Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but I thought they were rather Panjus and am now interested in the root cause! Maybe you could give some insights?
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

9W77W

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:01 am

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 7):
Really ? How long has this been going ? and what Acft ? if AI still use their 744's into LHR then that makes the 777 of AI a rare-ish acft in Britain...

AI has 11 LHR terminators a week
3x weekly BOM via AMD/DEL to LHR on 744
5x weekly BOM LHR on 777 (may be going 4x weekly from Summer 06)
3x weekly CCU LHR on 777

Also, AI lands the 777 almost twice daily (6x weekly) at BHX on the DEL-ATQ-BHX-YYZ-BHX-ATQ-DEL route.

On a recent Sunday afternoon in March, I had the opportunity of witnessing 3 AI 744s simultaneously moving in LHR at T3.

Regards

planeboy

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:37 am

Why either 9W or AI doesn't consider MAN? Atleast 9W could consider starting DEL-ATQ-MAN or AMD-BOM-MAN services since there is no desi competition (at least for now).

bhxdtw

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting 9W77W (Reply 12):
AI has 11 LHR terminators a week
3x weekly BOM via AMD/DEL to LHR on 744
5x weekly BOM LHR on 777 (may be going 4x weekly from Summer 06)
3x weekly CCU LHR on 777

Wow, so how many 777's do they have now ? and are they all ex-UA ?

I do have to say I think the BHX-India market is at a peak.

Feroze

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 11):
Interesting!! (and welcome to anet!): why is this so? Does it have to do with the textile factories in Leicester and the connection to "former" local production in Gujarat?

Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but I thought they were rather Panjus and am now interested in the root cause! Maybe you could give some insights?

A large proportion of the Indian community in Leicester stems from the migration of East African Indians (Kenya and Uganda) in the early 1970s. Leicester is more Gujarati than Punjabi

David_itl

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting Planeboy (Reply 13):
Why either 9W or AI doesn't consider MAN?

Although there is a market for India ex-MAN, it's much bigger out of BHX/EMA catchment areas. I can only do a "rough" comparison which is that at it's peak in 1998 (4 weekly A310s), about 48,000 passengers flew on AI out of MAN. However, I don't know how many routed MAN-FCO-MAN and how many actually went to India itself.

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 7):
Possible, but how would want to deprive BHX of 777's ?

Purely concerned that any kind of growth the India-Canada-India sector may have an impact on the capacity available on the BHX-India-BHX sector - using A310s that are only concerned with BHX-India-BHX allows the route to grow with the possibility of growing into a 777 route in its own right in due course.

David

karan69

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:00 am

Barring LHR, i dont think any other airport in UK or EU for that matter will be profitable for any Indian carrier year round, without continuoing to a US/Canadian city.

BOM/DEL/BLR---MAN/BHX/EDI--BOS/YVR/SEA/IAD

BOM/DEL/BLR---CDG----YUL

these are some examples that could work--i dont think any of these cities would work on its own year round [UK and EU cities]

mainMAN

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:06 am

Quoting David_itl (Reply 16):
Although there is a market for India ex-MAN, it's much bigger out of BHX/EMA catchment areas. I can only do a "rough" comparison which is that at it's peak in 1998 (4 weekly A310s), about 48,000 passengers flew on AI out of MAN. However, I don't know how many routed MAN-FCO-MAN and how many actually went to India itself.

Since 1998, the market seems to have expanded rapidly, along with the Indian economy. It's also probable that AI's MAN services were patronised heavily by Midlanders too, so there's quite possibly no way of telling what cureent figures might be.

I'm expecting an announcemnet by either AI or more probably 9W re MAN before too long. Would have been perfect territory for BD too, but no.

Off-topic, but just think what amazing things BD could have done with a DEL/BOM-BHX-ORD service too.

hammerb32

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:28 am

MainMAN

How you right you are, BD missed so many boats with those A330s.

DavidItl

My understanding is that the Canada leg is the poorest performing and was in doubt to go 6 x weekly, the BHX - ATQ leg is incredibly popular, it's interesting that far from hitting Turmenistan, Slovakin and Uzbekistan it's very much helping them, their loads are up to.

bhxdtw

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:10 pm

Quoting Hammerb32 (Reply 19):
it's interesting that far from hitting Turmenistan, Slovakin and Uzbekistan it's very much helping them, their loads are up to.

How does it boost their loads ?

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 18):
Off-topic, but just think what amazing things BD could have done with a DEL/BOM-BHX-ORD service too.

too right, so many possibilities, so many poor choices.
Ive always wondered why BD never carved out BHX/EMA as a true hub.
after all it is still British MIDLAND ...

sigh..

gkirk

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:14 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 17):
BOM/DEL/BLR---MAN/BHX/EDI--BOS/YVR/SEA/IAD

Definitely no market for EDI.
GLA is where all the Indians in Scotland are  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

GLAGAZ

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:49 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 21):
GLA is where all the Indians in Scotland are

As you know Kirk AI have slots at GLA. Just a shame nothing will come of it apparently.

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

bhxdtw

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:32 pm

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 22):
As you know Kirk AI have slots at GLA. Just a shame nothing will come of it apparently.

why not GLA ?
GLA always seems to follow BHX...

Eg CO, EK, PK... Though GLA has still got AA which BHX dont  Sad

David_itl

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting Hammerb32 (Reply 19):
My understanding is that the Canada leg is the poorest performing and was in doubt to go 6 x weekly, the BHX - ATQ leg is incredibly popular

If BHX is saying 100,000 passengers have flown on the service, and AI are saying 24,000 routed BHX-India-BHX and 10,000 on BHX-YYZ-BHX, then it does mean that 66,000 passengers went India-YYZ-India....i.e. that appears to be much the stronger of the 3 markets on offer. Therefore, using that "logic" it's the BHX sectors that appear most at risk! What would be more useful is if we could find out the breakdown of available capacity on each sector.

David

hammerb32

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:31 am

Dave

You're forgetting ATQ - BHX - ATQ, AI being on this route has stimulated interest therefore their competitors loads have increased as often the AI service is full. Uzbekistan have often upgraded one off services to a 767.

AI

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:45 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 11):

Leicester was a designated rehabilitation area by the UK govt for the east african asians who fled the Idi Amin revolution from Uganda & neighbouring Kenya in late sixties & early seventies. Most of them were gujarati business families.
AI

bhxdtw

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:14 pm

Quoting David_itl (Reply 24):
Therefore, using that "logic" it's the BHX sectors that appear most at risk! What would be more useful is if we could find out the breakdown of available capacity on each sector.

David

Good Logic Dave,

Tho I agree that ATQ is most likely the money maker...
Do any other airlines fly to ATQ direct from any airport aside from BHX ?

mrniji

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 27):
Do any other airlines fly to ATQ direct from any airport aside from BHX ?

you mean from UK airports?

Otherwise

HY Tashkent
Turkmenistan AIrlines Ashgabad
IC Sharjah
SQ still flies to ATQ, I think

and some like Air Slovakia I think

Apparently, Raja Sansa Airport is smaller than my humble flat

[Edited 2006-04-06 10:57:04]
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

HAWK21M

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:04 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 28):

biggrin 
Whats the update on 9W & US.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

bhxdtw

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:37 pm

you mean from UK airports?

Otherwise

HY Tashkent
IC Sharjah

Yes sorry I meant from BHX...
half of those you mentioned fly to ATQ from BHX...
I just was wondering if anyone else ahd a through flight from LHR/MAN for example like Uzbek or Turkmen.

Joe

mrniji

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:06 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 29):
Whats the update on 9W & US.

I totally forgot about all this..  Smile

HAWK21M

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 31):
I totally forgot about all this..

Its time for the Meet visit to refresh things.  biggrin 
regds
MEL

mrniji

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 32):
Its time for the Meet visit to refresh things.

Indeed! But I won't come to India this year, earliest next year  Sad - how about you charter the Blue Dart Thingy and come over with the others to "Old Europe"?

HAWK21M

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 33):
how about you charter the Blue Dart Thingy and come over with the others to "Old Europe"?

We are scheduled to Visit London on 10th May for Three day B752SF Simulator Runs.Might just extend & take a Europe tour on way back.
regds
MEL

David_itl

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:58 am

For MAN....we did have a weekly Uzbek (arrive Wed, depart Fri - timings padded out for any granting of a JFK service!) IL62 in the early 1990s which was then scheduled to increase to 2 weekly. However, they pulled out when AI commenced services.

Turkmenistan did operate for a short while (nearly always with the same aircraft) but it looks like they transferred the service to BHX.

Don't know whether the onward sector for RB and W5 is useful for Indian connections; similarly I can't remember if the up to 2 weekly SU service that operated from the late 1980s to early 1990s was also useful for the Indian communties around the north of Englad.

David

ammunition

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:31 am

raja sansi airport is looking pretty good, its got a new building, which is very modern inside. Its still a small airport but has come a long way since, my 1999 visit where immigration was one computer (with 20 operaters), and the waiting area consisted of a sectioned off area (made of some material/plastic surround, packing with chairs, and no roof), in the heat of summer.

Haviung flown through ATQ several times since 1999, and most recently in march this year, (air deccan ATR-42 to DEL), i can say the change is almost astounding.

How long is the runway there?
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

CHI787ORD

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:38 am

HY Tashkent
IC Sharjah

and some like Air Slovakia I think

Yes, SQ still flies to ATQ, and supposedly it is a big moneymaker for them. One of their most profitable Indian routes aside from the metros. A big shock considering one would assume not much business traffic there.

You forgot Air Italy to verona  Smile

ATQ really needs a strong european carrier. Preferably LH.

mrniji

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:55 am

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 37):
ATQ really needs a strong european carrier. Preferably LH.

Any reason for this? Why not BA? they could fill the proximate Southhall traffic to ATQ, i.e. point-to-point in combination of 6th freedom  Smile

CHI787ORD

Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:28 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 38):
Any reason for this? Why not BA? they could fill the proximate Southhall traffic to ATQ, i.e. point-to-point in combination of 6th freedom

Haha... preferably LH because I live in Chicago and use ORD. LH already offers numerous flights to ORD daily along with UA. It makes my life just a little bit easier.  Smile Also, I am a loyal follower of Star Alliance.