DL4EVR
Topic Author

No Meal On A 6 Hour Flight In F?

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:46 am

I just booked a flight from SEA-JFK in F on July 31st on DL. It departs at 11:44AM, and it is listed as having no meal. I called up DL to see if this was a misprint and the agent says she had it down as not having a meal either....
I know DL is cutting back, but this is rediculous.
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

zvezda

RE: No Meal On A 6 Hour Flight In F?

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:51 am

Reading the title, it was clear that this had to be a US carrier. Ridiculous. It's time to scrap the cabotage law.

andrewuber

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:58 am

I was on DL from ATL-SEA a couple months ago. There was no meal on that one either - although you could buy a snack box for $5. Don't waste your time - unless you think a pair of crackers, a half ounce of Parmesan cheese / horseradish dip (???), and a piece of leather pepperoni is worth $5.

Take food with you. Load up on snacks and such before you get on that flight and you will be just fine. I would even reccommend taking a big bottle of water with you as they only made 2 drink runs on my 5.5 hour flight.

Not to slam DL too harshly, but the F/A's on that flight I was on were about as sharp as a marble. The guy next to me asked one what kind of wines they had and she replied "we have red and white".  sarcastic 

Have a good flight!  bigthumbsup 

Drew  wave 
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:02 am

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 2):
was on DL from ATL-SEA a couple months ago. There was no meal on that one either - although you could buy a snack box for $5. Don't waste your time - unless you think a pair of crackers, a half ounce of Parmesan cheese / horseradish dip (???), and a piece of leather pepperoni is worth $5.

Take food with you. Load up on snacks and such before you get on that flight and you will be just fine. I would even reccommend taking a big bottle of water with you as they only made 2 drink runs on my 5.5 hour flight.

Not to slam DL too harshly, but the F/A's on that flight I was on were about as sharp as a marble. The guy next to me asked one what kind of wines they had and she replied "we have red and white".

Have a good flight!

Drew

Wait...was this in Y or F?

BA380

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:09 am

that is farcical. Just imagine if you had connected from a long haul flight or had come straight from a meeting, had paid extra so you could travel F and had no idea there was no meal so bought nothing yourself. You would miss lunch and dinner realistically, as you'd get to NYC pretty late and have either nothing or a snack box.

I have been on shorter interconti routes, where they serve dinner and breakfast even in Y...
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

B777-700

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting DL4EVR (Thread starter):
No Meal On A 6 Hour Flight In F?

I just booked a flight from SEA-JFK in F on July 31st on DL.

No way SEA-JFK is 6 hours!...lol

Hell I just did LAX-ATL in 3:18.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

panamair

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:14 am

I just booked a flight from SEA-JFK in F on July 31st on DL. It departs at 11:44AM, and it is listed as having no meal. I called up DL to see if this was a misprint and the agent says she had it down as not having a meal either....
I know DL is cutting back, but this is rediculous.

I wouldn't worry about it...there will be a meal. As often happens when new flights are loaded, the meals are not updated at the same time. This is a "new" flight in the sense that this flight was not operating in the winter (even though there was a 2nd SEA-JFK flight last summer) and is now a 738 with a new flight number instead of the previous Song 757 last summer. I've noticed that when new flights (or flights with equipment type or flight numbers changed) are initially loaded in the system, they show up as no meals even though in reality, there will be something....

B777-700

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:17 am

There was no meal on that one either - although you could buy a snack box for $5.

Delta has never sold those snack boxes. I think you're confused. And there was no way that was F class.

The guy next to me asked one what kind of wines they had and she replied "we have red and white".

And?

Quoting BA380 (Reply 4):
that is farcical.

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 1):
Reading the title, it was clear that this had to be a US carrier. Ridiculous.

American passnegers have spoken, and all they care about is lower fares.

[Edited 2006-04-03 18:32:07]

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 5):
No way SEA-JFK is 6 hours!...lol

Hell I just did LAX-ATL in 3:18

It's listed as 5:22

B777-700

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 8):
It's listed as 5:22

5:22 < 6:00

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 9):
5:22 < 6:00

Gee do we have to be so freakin literal here? The point is, DL's trigger time for meals in F is 3:30.

burnsie28

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:45 am

I'm sure you will get a meal in FC, especially since even NW gives you a light lunch/breakfast/dinner on DEN-MSP legs... I got a hot breakfast on NW last month ATL-MSP..

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 11):
I'm sure you will get a meal in FC, especially since even NW gives you a light lunch/breakfast/dinner on DEN-MSP legs... I got a hot breakfast on NW last month ATL-MSP..

Well I think on NW the flight only has to be something like 2.5 hours in order to get a hot meal in F. In fact DL has the longest time in order to get a hot meal in F. Nonetheless, JFK-SEA falls into that meal window.

ClassicLover

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:53 am

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 10):
The point is, DL's trigger time for meals in F is 3:30.

I think American Airlines is most sensible - a meal in F if the flight is over 1:45. Why you would fly for three hours in First without a meal is beyond me.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:00 am

I just want to know what the extra $800 in the ticket price is on flights where there's no meal in F. Is the seat worth THAT much more? Who in their right mind would pay $1200 for a 2 hour flight without a meal???

PanHAM

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:01 am

I

..... asked one what kind of wines they had and she replied "we have red and white".

I heard that answer many times, I usually order a sparkling water then, or, if it's in a restaurant, I get up and leave the place.

Still, it can be topped when they offer you some ice cubes because your Chardonney is not at the right temperature.

I flew DL several times domestic in F when it still was a good airline, some 20 years ago. With all the cut backs I can imagine that even if you get something to eat, it does in no way compare with the standards in Asia or Europe.
powered by Eierlikör

fbgdavidson

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting BA380 (Reply 4):
that is farcical. Just imagine if you had connected from a long haul flight or had come straight from a meeting, had paid extra so you could travel F and had no idea there was no meal so bought nothing yourself. You would miss lunch and dinner realistically, as you'd get to NYC pretty late and have either nothing or a snack box.

I have been on shorter interconti routes, where they serve dinner and breakfast even in Y...

thumbsup 

And to think on LGW-JER in BA Club Europe I got a full cooked breakfast and a couple of drinks rounds on a 35min flight!

I'm flying from BOS-SFO-SEA and back in AA/AS F twice in the next few months. I haven't flown F within the US for some years and am dreading it...The fact is First Class shouldn't be such a chore!

But having read what everyone else has said I wouldn't be surprised if the meal hasn't been loaded. Then again these are American carriers....
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

ikramerica

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:02 am

It's simple. many systems list the meal status for Y only, even if you are in F. This means nothing. You should get lunch in F, as the flight is during lunch time. I'd be shocked if you weren't fed.

I see this all the time on CO and AA itineraries, and if the CSR wasn't aware that this is how they are listed, they wouldn't know.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

foxdelta

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:05 am

The meal issue with US airlines explains why they suck so much in their domestic operation. You buy F and get what? Not much other than the extra room...

Cheers  yuck 

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 15):
I flew DL several times domestic in F when it still was a good airline, some 20 years ago. With all the cut backs I can imagine that even if you get something to eat, it does in no way compare with the standards in Asia or Europe.

It still is a good airline in comparison with its domestic competitors. All domestic F has pretty much turned to crap. However, in comparison to Asian carriers...totally different story.

ClassicLover

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 16):
I'm flying from BOS-SFO-SEA and back in AA/AS F twice in the next few months. I haven't flown F within the US for some years and am dreading it...The fact is First Class shouldn't be such a chore!

The BOS-SFO and back sectors on AA (presumably) will be quite fine. You can check my trip reports for a LAX-JFK earlier this year. Comfortable seats, good food, bone china, great portions, napkins, tablecloth, but plastic cutlery. IFE is mainscreen.

On AS from SFO-SEA, there is no meal service - I flew YVR-LAX in F on AS and they had no meal on a 2.5 hour flight I believe. They are generous with the charm and drinks and the F cabin is nicely furnished so you'll be fine.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

AirScoot

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 17):
It's simple. many systems list the meal status for Y only, even if you are in F. This means nothing. You should get lunch in F, as the flight is during lunch time. I'd be shocked if you weren't fed.

I assume the OP is talking about DL1893. It's operated with a 73S (old DLEX equipment?) and it doesn't show any meal service. The flight above it, however (DL1514) shows 757 service and it's full breakfast up front and BOB in the back. I wonder if it has anything to do with the galley on the 737-200?

Ikramerica - normally I would agree with you.. but DL tends to be on top of what they're offering food on and what they're not. The one carrier that will do what you're suggesting is CO.. but they have food on that routes.. it just took some digging to find it.

Poitin

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 3):
Not to slam DL too harshly, but the F/A's on that flight I was on were about as sharp as a marble. The guy next to me asked one what kind of wines they had and she replied "we have red and white".

Have a good flight!

Drew

Wait...was this in Y or F?

More likely FRBig grin You don't suppose DL is taking lessons from MO'L?
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

andrewuber

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:25 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 7):

Bull. We care about service too, it's just incredibly hard to find.

Delta has never sold those snack boxes. I think you're confused. And there was no way that was F class.

You are right about the class - I was indeed in Y and not F.

Regarding DL First Class, my most recent flight in First on DL was BHM-ATL-SLC-GEG, and the service was halfway decent. There was a hot meal on the ATL-SLC leg.

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

panamair

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 21):
I assume the OP is talking about DL1893. It's operated with a 73S (old DLEX equipment?) and it doesn't show any meal service. The flight above it, however (DL1514) shows 757 service and it's full breakfast up front and BOB in the back. I wonder if it has anything to do with the galley on the 737-200?

It's not a 737-200; it will be operated by an 737-800 with IFE, etc. And yes, THERE WILL BE A HOT LUNCH served in F on DL1893 from SEA to JFK. As mentioned, the CRS is not showing it correctly right now because it's a new flight. The same thing I noticed when DL first introduced LGA-MIA; originally they showed no meals but now they show "S" for snack service. LGA-MIA changes flight numbers again in June and again, the meal service section is blanked out again, seeming to indicate no meal service but there will be the same service as currently.

And to think on LGW-JER in BA Club Europe I got a full cooked breakfast and a couple of drinks rounds on a 35min flight!

Reading the title, it was clear that this had to be a US carrier

Quoting BA380 (Reply 4):

I haven't flown F within the US for some years and am dreading it...The fact is First Class shouldn't be such a chore!

But having read what everyone else has said I wouldn't be surprised if the meal hasn't been loaded. Then again these are American carriers....

Quoting FoxDelta (Reply 18):
The meal issue with US airlines explains why they suck so much in their domestic operation. You buy F and get what? Not much other than the extra room...

If you're willing to pay $2000 roundtrip between SEA and JFK in F, then I'm sure DL will be more than willing to serve you a nice hot three or four-course lunch. All these complaints about foreign airlines providing meal service on short flights, have you actually looked at prices charged versus these domestic First runs? Here are some comparison:

SEA-JFK roundtrip in F on DL: US$828 (including taxes)

Shorter routes in other parts of world (totally random sampling):

SIN-TPE roundtrip on SQ: In C: US$1606+ taxes roundtrip; In F: US$2162+ taxes roundtrip

CDG-IST roundtrip on AF: In C: US$2346

FRA-IST roundtrip on LH: In C: US$1990

CDG-SVO roundtrip on AF: In C: US$2503

Would you like me to continue?

Mind you, all of these flights are shorter in duration than SEA-JFK and except for the SQ flights, none of them offer a much larger seat or more legroom than Y (on AF and LH, you may get the middle seat blocked but you're essentially in the same Y seat on those A320s)

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 24):

Weird...because LAX-JFK rt in F on DL is something like $1400. The duration is basically the same...do you think they're offering some sort of service that SEA-JFK isn't?

pawsleykat

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:47 am

I know that EDI-ATL is quite a bit longer than SEA-JFK, but i hope to fly with Delta on their new EDI-ATL route in the Summer and I will book business class, will they serve a meal on that flight? Please excuse my ignorance, I do not wish to hi-jack this thread.  Wink

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

AirScoot

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:53 am

It's not a 737-200; it will be operated by an 737-800

Deltamatic through direct connect is showing the aircraft type as 73S (737-200 Stretch) - hence my comments. It's also showing through direct connect that there is no meal service on this flight. You are probably correct, however. I didn't notice that it was newly loaded - but now on second glance, yes.

Not to get picky.. but... if we're going to play this game:
this is based on a QUPBV - First for the price of Coach. Total cost inclusive of tax is $828.60.

The published first class fare (F0BV) in this market is $1418.60. While cheaper, this price is closer in line to the examples you quoted.

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 25):
Weird...because LAX-JFK rt in F on DL is something like $1400. The duration is basically the same...do you think they're offering some sort of service that SEA-JFK isn't?

They're not. It's a quesiton of if you can get in on the inventory that DL sells as "first for the price of coach" - and it's not offered on all markets - or if it is - in the LAX/JFK example.. the difference in fare is negligable enough as to not really make any difference.

khobar

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:25 am

Just for grins I checked LHR-LUX and found KLM charges a total of $187.75 for this trip.

They fly a 767 from LHR to AMS (1hr20mn) 217mi.
They fly a Fokker50 from AMS to LUX (1hr15mn) 196mi and provide a meal.
They fly a Fokker50 from LUX to AMS (1hr25mn) 196mi and provide a meal.
Then fly a 737 from AMS to LHR (1hr15mn) 217mi and provide a cold meal.

LHR-BRU on BA is $164.41 total.

BA offers only a snack (chocolate covered biscuit probably)

LHR-FRA LH 1hr30mn $126.90 total. LH offers "refreshments".

LHR-FCO on Alitalia = $231.27
898 miles. 2hr30mn, no meals on either flight.

LHR-FCO on BA = $232.57.
BA offers a snack outbound and a meal inbound.

LHR-ATH on Olympic = $274.80
1500mi 3hr35mn/4hr0mn Lunch on outbound, breakfast on inbound.

For comparison:
ATL-DCA DL 541mi 1hr37mn MD88 - no service either way $238
DCA-JFK AA 215 mi 1hr15mn EMB135 - FFP $213.61
MSP-MCO NW 1304mi 3hr7mn 757 - FFP $271.10
IAH-MCO CO 848mi 2hr20mn 757 - brunch $326.61
PHX-LAX AW 373mi 1hr17mn A319 - no service

Okay, tell us again about how US travellers have spoken and demanded the low fares, and try to keep a straight face. The prices speak for themselves - the American traveller is getting ripped off and the notion that the airlines have to cut back because they aren't charging enough is a lie. There are many reasons why airlines in the US are struggling, but not charging enough for the tickets isn't one of them.

ctbarnes

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 23):

Bull. We care about service too, it's just incredibly hard to find.

I agree with you Andrew. The belief all Americans care about is low fares is an industry myth that's proving increadibly difficult to dislodge.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

airxliban

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 27):
The published first class fare (F0BV) in this market is $1418.60. While cheaper, this price is closer in line to the examples you quoted.

Plus SEA-JFK is domestic while all the other ones are international.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

ASFlyer

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 14):
Who in their right mind would pay $1200 for a 2 hour flight without a meal???

Hardly anyone actually pays the F fares. In the good ole US of A, First Class is used primarily as a marketing tool to lure frequent flyers. It's a give away for the most part. For that reason, the F class product suffers.

b6sea

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 26):
I know that EDI-ATL is quite a bit longer than SEA-JFK, but i hope to fly with Delta on their new EDI-ATL route in the Summer and I will book business class, will they serve a meal on that flight? Please excuse my ignorance, I do not wish to hi-jack this thread.

Yep, You'll definately get a meal. 763 BizElite. Have a nice flight... BusinessElite is really nice (not lie flat but incredibly comfy). FAs in BusinessElite are usually excellent too. Delta has a good product in BizElite. The seats could be better but overall very nice.

-Chans

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 31):
Hardly anyone actually pays the F fares. In the good ole US of A, First Class is used primarily as a marketing tool to lure frequent flyers. It's a give away for the most part. For that reason, the F class product suffers.

Well maybe if they offered something other than a wider seat, people would pay the fares.
Anyway, I read somewhere that approx. 50% of F flyers in the US actually do pay for their tickets.

twolz2rn

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:38 am

i know i am probably going to get reamed for this, BUT it is kind of funny how bent out of shape some people get...i mean seriously...people are going crazy about not getting a meal in F class? I think the airlines have more things to worry about. Why not save a couple HUNDRED dollars and eat a bigger and better meal at the airport. All you are really paying for is a bigger seat. Do you feel superior by receiving a sub-par $800 meal on an airplane? I've recently flew in F class from CVG-SAN and didn't get a meal...i'm not complaining...

mah584jr

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:51 am

Take food with you

I definitely feel this is a great option. Not only is the food cheaper, but it tastes better on most occasions. This, of course, I can only say to those flying coach. Flying for that long in first class and not getting a meal does not seem, for lack of a better word, right. This is just how the US airline industry works, I guess. I def. prefer the service on European carriers.
-Mah584jr

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting Mah584jr (Reply 35):
I definitely feel this is a great option. Not only is the food cheaper, but it tastes better on most occasions

Yeah, but it's also a pain in the neck having to drag an extra bag with you, when you already have the 2 bag limit. It would be nice if Y got some decent BOB options and F got a meal on any flight over 2 hours or so. For $1200 you should get a meal that cost $1.20 to make.

FLY2LIM

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:10 am

Totally off topic, but whatever happened to the flight attendant who was fired for having her blog showing her wearing a DL uniform?

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:13 am

dartland

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:15 am

As was pointed out above, you WILL get a meal on this flight.

I flew DL BOS-ATL last summer and got a hot meal in F (and that is shorter than SEA-JFK).

As for the whole Europe vs. US meals and airfares discussion -- you can't compare the two. The markets are completely different. The rules and regs are different. The taxes are different. The labor situation is different. Etc. Etc. If you want to debate it, start another thread.

atlflyer

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:16 am

You will get a meal...Delta's website says that flights 3.5+ hours will get a snack AND complimentary meal.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...n/inflight_services/food/index.jsp

twolz2rn

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:19 am

what was the purpose of putting up that journalspace site??

IDAWA

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Khobar (Reply 28):
LHR-FCO on Alitalia = $231.27
898 miles. 2hr30mn, no meals on either flight.

Are you sure about that? Last year Alitalia gave me an Alisnack sandwich on MIL-MAD and a full meal on FCO-ARN. If nothing has changed, you should get either the sandwich or the meal.

I-DAWA.
Flown on: 319, 320, 321, 340, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, DC9, D10, M11, M80, 146, EM2, BEH, CRJ, DH8, L4T.

fbgdavidson

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting TwoLz2Rn (Reply 34):
I've recently flew in F class from CVG-SAN and didn't get a meal...i'm not complaining...

Then with all due respect to you then you are either an idiot or a severe exception to the rule. It is this kind of acceptance of lousy service that sends the service into a vicious cycle.

If the airlines bothered to spend a few dollars on a decent meal for First passengers then people would spend a few hundred more to actually pay for F. I was asking on Flyertalk in advance of booking my aforementioned AA F transcon and was dismayed to hear people describe the offerings as 'low grade dog food' and that I should bring my own food onboard.  thumbsdown  to AA in particular for selling the store to EXPs and then making the food so awful people recommend bringing your own on board!

When I last flew AA F across the US, almost 6yrs ago now!, I remember thinking the service was fantastic and something to look forward to!

And for those who say, buy food at the airport, since when was airport food anything to rave about? Besides for many business travellers eating onboard is often the only meal they'll get that day!

Quoting TwoLz2Rn (Reply 34):
I mean seriously...people are going crazy about not getting a meal in F class? I think the airlines have more things to worry about.

They do? Like their survival, ok and who are the best people to turn to in order to help that sea change?

1) The bargain hunters in Y?
2) The folks in the forward cabin in F where the product is relatively price-inelastic?

Make a product good enough and people will pay for it. Look at CX F and SQ F for example, yes I am aware we are talking about longhaul vs shorthaul here but the principle is the same. The AA hard product for shorthaul and transcon is fine (although the 757s are a bit ropey) it is the soft product that needs overhaul. Also look at bmi, they recently butchered their service and people, read their most frequent flyers, leave in droves for other airlines.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

panamair

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:31 am

Deltamatic through direct connect is showing the aircraft type as 73S (737-200 Stretch

I know that many CRS are showing it as a 73S but I don't believe the 732 has the range to even attempt SEA-JFK with a full payload. Besides, delta.com is showing it as a 738; seatmap is also of the 738.

Not to get picky.. but... if we're going to play this game:
this is based on a QUPBV - First for the price of Coach. Total cost inclusive of tax is $828.60.

Yes, but the fact is that you can purchase a First Class seat for the $828 whereas on the other carriers in the examples mentioned, there are no First for the price of Coach options to even consider.

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 30):
Plus SEA-JFK is domestic while all the other ones are international.

Yes, I know. I quoted that because it is difficult to find a domestic European flight that is even half the length of a SEA-JFK and because people were comparing how they were getting great stuff on these short European hops compared to a long US transcon. If you really want to compare domestic US to domestic Europe (say ORY-NCE on AF), then they are more than similar in service (you get coffee/tea/water on AF between ORY and NCE, and a choice between a sweet or savory snack (usually a packet of crackers).

Quoting Khobar (Reply 28):
Just for grins I checked LHR-LUX and found KLM charges a total of $187.75 for this trip.

They fly a 767 from LHR to AMS (1hr20mn) 217mi.
They fly a Fokker50 from AMS to LUX (1hr15mn) 196mi and provide a meal.
They fly a Fokker50 from LUX to AMS (1hr25mn) 196mi and provide a meal.
Then fly a 737 from AMS to LHR (1hr15mn) 217mi and provide a cold meal.

LHR-BRU on BA is $164.41 total.

BA offers only a snack (chocolate covered biscuit probably)

LHR-FRA LH 1hr30mn $126.90 total. LH offers "refreshments".

Honestly, most European carriers do not provide hot meals in Y on shorter intra-European hops anymore. The most you will get from say KL or LX is a cold sandwich (choice between cheese or meat) or a muffin if it's breakfast. Even in Business, hardly anyone serves a hot meal anymore (I really can't vouch for slightly longer runs such as to SVO, IST, or ATH). Most Euro carriers have had to cut back quite a bit on the catering as well (IB and OS even sell all their food on intra-European flights in Y) - it's not that different than DL offering choices from the complimentary snack basket in Y on many domestic runs...

SA7700

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:41 am

SEA-JFK roundtrip in F on SA)">DL: US$828 (including taxes)

SIN-TPE roundtrip on SQ: In C: US$1606+ taxes roundtrip; In F: US$2162+ taxes roundtrip

CDG-IST roundtrip on AF: In C: US$2346

FRA-IST roundtrip on LH: In C: US$1990

CDG-SVO roundtrip on AF: In C: US$2503

I paid USD148 (including taxes) for a roundtrip on SA Express Airways DH8, BFN-JNB-BFN - a 01h10min flight. Cold meals and a bar services, consisting of wines, beer and soft drinks are built into the price. Would you like me to continue?  Smile

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

JFK998

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:01 am

Was the DL flight direct? Because all the JFK>SEA non-stop flights are operated by Song, and Song doesn't have a first class section.

panamair

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 45):

Yes, please do, and I think you'll find that your example is fast becoming more the exception these days than the rule. More airlines will be heading down the 'cheap' route in the years to come. If one was travelling intra-Europe a few years ago, for example, one could never imagine that a carrier like AF would be cutting its catering down to the bone. These days, on a hop such as CDG-TXL in Y, all you get is coffee/tea/water and a pack of crackers or biscuits - compared to a tray of cold cuts, warm rolls, etc., just a few years ago.......

DL4EVR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting TwoLz2Rn (Reply 41):
what was the purpose of putting up that journalspace site??

Fly2Lim asked about what happened to that F/A who was fired for posting pix in a DL uniform.

Quoting JFK998 (Reply 46):
Was the DL flight direct? Because all the JFK>SEA non-stop flights are operated by Song, and Song doesn't have a first class section.

This will be after May 1.

NWBOS

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:18 am

Yes, Panamair you are correct. The European carriers are not far behind on the cuts in inflight service. The American carriers just accelerated the process because of the dramatic slump in travel post 9/11.

I don't know why people on this board insist that travelers will pay more for extra services. Study after study shows that price remains the number one factor in deciding carrier of preference. As far as domestic first class service on NW, almost all passengers traveling in the F cabin are there because of a free elite upgrades, as well as day of departure upgrades through self-service check-in and -UP type fares which allow for space available upgrades. I'm sure that there are some exceptions, such as long-haul high revenue markets like MSP-LAX -- but those are exceptions. Why should the company be investing lots of money in services that the vast majority of passengers DON'T pay extra for?