HPRamper
Topic Author

US Airways Shows Improvements In Feb.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:44 pm

DOT report for February: US Airways had the best on-time performance of all the majors  Smile We've been hovering up there for a while, but I don't think we'd gotten on top since the merger...correct me if I'm wrong though.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/2006/april/0604atcr.pdf

US Airways baggage numbers, while still only 10th among the majors (13th overall) did improve from 8.45 mishandlings per 1000 pax to 7.26. I'm hoping that this is a reflection of the overhauling of the PHL baggage situation.... after all, PHL is well known as a baggage black hole.

mah584jr

RE: US Airways Shows Improvements In Feb.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:06 pm

However, looking at your link, US Airways still ranks third worst among customer complaints out of the U.S. airlines(AA, UA). They're also the worst for the number of customer complaints per 100,000 passengers. Seems to me like there still is quite a bit of work to be done.
-Mah584jr

Sean-SAN-

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:51 pm

BTW... pre-merger, HP was usually in the top 3 in bag numbers. Now that we are being merged with US and their numbers, it's hovering around 8ish... We've been sending trainers to PHL/PIT/CLT to try and shape things up... people are getting replaced and slowly the dead weight in the east will get chopped off.

AZFLYER84

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:17 pm

PHL has known problems with luggage and delays, but PHX has problems as well. Things are getting better with time since the merger now. If PHX could solve Mesa's problems, customer complaints and lost luggage will surely go down.Since Mesa has serious problems with staffing, delays and customer serivice issues.

flyboyaz

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:54 pm

Yes it's great, we'll get another $50 payout!

The note we got did say we need to improve some things, specifically our baggage. Customer complaints are another issue as well, but not sure if express complaints get factored into that...we get a HUGE amount of complaints from the express operations.

Things will get better...just takes time.
Catch a ride on a smile!

lightsaber
Crew

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:43 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Thread starter):

US Airways baggage numbers, while still only 10th among the majors (13th overall) did improve from 8.45 mishandlings per 1000 pax to 7.26. I'm hoping that this is a reflection of the overhauling of the PHL baggage situation.... after all, PHL is well known as a baggage black hole.

The rate is improving, but its still 2X the best. But I hope HP/US keeps improving. Then again the worst was 2X as bad as HP/US.  Sad Wow, I can't imagine an airline that almost loses 2% of the bags (That's Atlantic Southeast.)

Quoting Sean-SAN- (Reply 2):
people are getting replaced and slowly the dead weight in the east will get chopped off.

Are the PHL baggage handlers still union? If so, the few individuals who might be the problem won't be replacable and US would then be stuck with poor baggage numbers.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

USPIT10L

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:51 pm

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 5):
Are the PHL baggage handlers still union? If so, the few individuals who might be the problem won't be replacable and US would then be stuck with poor baggage numbers.

Of course PHL baggage handlers are union! The whole of the old US Airways was union. Don't have a link, but there's a thread with 75+ posts on it about how ugly the integration of the unions is going! Some 40 people were sent to the ER in PHL after a chair-throwing, expletive-filled tirade by some IAM people at a PHL hotel, I believe. 27 people were fired for it! Can't wait to the old-school union people thrown out! That's part of why US had it so bad for so long (pro-union people full apologies).
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

USPIT10L

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:02 am

Back on topic, I think it's great that US can be a stellar operational airline as well. Summer always seems to take these on-time initiatives into chaos, but as HP remolds US in their model, I think things will be much, much better, not to mention smoother. PHL needs it. PIT and CLT have always been great as far as lack of traffic and major weather. In fact, in my two and a half years at DGS, we had one groundstop due to weather. Many thunderstorms, but one groundstop. Had more than I could count from ATL.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!