flyboy36y

When Is A Good Time To Spot In St Maarten?

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:45 pm

I will be in San Juan for 2 months and wanted to fly down to St Maarten to spot. Do you know what the best times are? Is 1 day enough or should I spend the night and enjoy the Island?

jsposaune

RE: When Is A Good Time To Spot In St Maarten?

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:49 pm

Enjoy the island if you can...its a great place!

For spotting, hang out at the Sunset Beach Bar between about noon and 4PM. You should get to see just about all of the good stuff. (75's, heavys, etc.) Although, the multitudes of puddle jumpers (DH-8, DH-6, Islanders, biz-jets) are entertaining all day!

Have a good time in SXM!
There are no stupid questions....only stupid people!!!

IAHFLYR

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:30 pm

Incredible spot, just don't look at the beach too much (with the sights how can you avoid it) or you'll be surprised suddenly by the approaching B752 that has been on final for about 5 miles. Oh and avoid the obvious desire to stand behind the departing airliners on the beach or you get sand blasted......what fun to watch those clowns!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

ahlfors

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 2):
Incredible spot, just don't look at the beach too much (with the sights how can you avoid it) or you'll be surprised suddenly by the approaching B752 that has been on final for about 5 miles. Oh and avoid the obvious desire to stand behind the departing airliners on the beach or you get sand blasted......what fun to watch those clowns!  

Actually, if you stand right behind the fence, you will not get sand blasted, though you will be subject to a heavy jet blast and possibly any loose pebbles on the runway... so it's actually safer right by the fence where there is no sand than a bit farther on the beach where you will get sand in every part of your body.

That's not to say that standing by the fence is "safe" by North American standards, but it sure is fun.

[Edited 2006-04-04 17:40:42]

IAHFLYR

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting Ahlfors (Reply 3):
so it's actually safer right by the fence where there is no sand than a bit farther on the beach where you will get sand in every part of your body.

I would guess in places you didn't know you even had!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.