thepilot

US Airways Engine Fire Over Seattle!

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:49 pm

Hey, just heard on local news that a US flight from CLT-SEA had a birdstrike over the Puget Sound and was able to land safely. No injuries. It was reported by some people on the ground, and the pilot wasn't aware immediately. Here is my source.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/265589_plane05ww.html

[Edited 2006-04-05 07:50:23]
From YVR

WesternA318

RE: US Airways Engine Fire Over Seattle!

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:11 pm

At least everyone was safe and this happend at its destination, not somewhere over the midwest or on takeoff..
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

jmc1975

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:46 pm

What was the reg. number????

visityyj

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:01 am

Quoting Thepilot (Thread starter):
the pilot wasn't aware immediately

Complete nonsense, typical media ****  banghead 

From www.faa.gov (emhasis mine):
Regis#: USA59 Make/Model: A319 Description: A-319
Date: 04/05/2006 Time: 0335

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
U S AIRLINES, USA59, AN AIRBUS A319 ACFT, ON FINAL TO LAND, REPORTED A RIGHT ENGINE SURGE, LANDED WITHOUT INCIDENT, SEATTLE, WA

AirframeAS

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:20 am

Quoting Visityyj (Reply 3):
Complete nonsense, typical media ****

I agree with you. Since when did the media ever get aviation facts correctly??

I want some PICS!!! Too bad the Seattle P.I. didnt send anyone over to take some pics.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

USAIRWAYS321

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:28 am

"because he never really knew what was going on," Parker said.

Absolutely awful for a Port of Seattle spokesman to make a comment like that. Extremely unprofessional.

roseflyer

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 1):
At least everyone was safe and this happend at its destination, not somewhere over the midwest or on takeoff..

I'd be surprised if there would be a bird strike while the plane is in cruise. There are very few birds that can fly at 30,000 ft. The air is too thin, it is too cold, and there isn't enough oxygen for most birds. It would make sense for a bird strike to happen either on takeoff or landing. Takeoff is just more likely since the engines are at high power settings and are likely to suck in a bird.

I am glad to see that everything was fine. I highly prefer it when the only aviation disaster stories are when the news agencies blow them out of proportion since that means that things are going well and that there aren't any truly bad disasters going on.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

AirframeAS

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:36 am

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 5):
"because he never really knew what was going on," Parker said.

IMO, I doubt Parker really said that...I bet you it was the US spokesperson who said that but the writer of the article couldnt remember the person's name.

aogdesk

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:38 am

If the Port of Seattle resembles the port authority in BUF, they're responsible for busses, trains and the airport. They should stick to commenting on busses and trains. Talk about fanning the flames that cause this industry to nose dive, why should people pay top dollar for air travel when those 'bus drivers in the sky ' don't really know whats going on anyway?

USAIRWAYS321

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:48 am

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 8):
If the Port of Seattle resembles the port authority in BUF, they're responsible for busses, trains and the airport. They should stick to commenting on busses and trains.

The Port of Seattle handles just what the name says. The ports -- air and sea -- nothing else.

[Edited 2006-04-06 00:48:55]

AirframeAS

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 9):
The Port of Seattle handles just what the name says. The ports -- air and sea -- nothing else.

yep, I second that...

L1329II

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:23 am

What you talking 'bout Willis? Whats wrong with the Midwest?  box 

Heaven forbid it lands at Witchita MDW, MCI or somewhere else that may be able to take care of the problem without a lot of hassle?

Just kidding bro!  wink  If I were a diverted passenger I would be the first one to start moaning and complaining. Happy to hear they made it without incident.
"By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

mymiles2go

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:38 am

Not to point out the obvious here, but what the article is saying and the FAA report do indeed match - you guys are all too stuck on the media thing.

The pilot "REPORTED A RIGHT ENGINE SURGE" per the FAA text above. It does not say "The pilot reported an engine fire", it does not say "The pilot reported hitting a bird", it does not say "The Pilot was aware the engine was on fire". It simply says the pilot "REPORTED A RIGHT ENGINE SURGE".

Meanwhile, the Port reported that the pilot didn't request an emergency landing "because he never really knew what was going on". It does not say that pilot wasn't aware that a problem was occuring. It does not say that the pilot ignored the warnings. It simply says the pilot was not aware of the full scope of the issue. It says the pilot new something was amiss but was not fully clear on the details of the situation. Which is pretty darn logical when you consider they were on final approach and it's unlikely he was about to take a stroll back to the engine for a sight seeing trip.

Firefighters were called by people on the ground - NOT by the pilot, ATC or anyone in between. Had the pilot been aware his engine was on fire it would stand to reason (in fact it's probably SOP) that he would inform ATC. Given that communication didn't appear to occur per the FAA, the port, and the PI - it stands to reason that nothing noted in the PI report is incorrect or misleading.

Learn to read all the information before making assumptions.

22right

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:37 am

I can understand concern over takeoff.... but what's this about the midwest? U think there are no airports in the midwest big enough to handle an A319? Not to mention the chances of a bird-strike at cruising altitude of over 30K feet are zero and zilch, and zilch just left the building.
"I never apologize! I am sorry, but that's the way it is!" - Homer Simpson

Continental

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting 22right (Reply 13):
I can understand concern over takeoff.... but what's this about the midwest?

You misinterpreted him. He was saying that it was a fortunate coincidence that the event occurred at the destination. If the plane diverted in the midwest, the passengers would have to connect.

WesternA318

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:27 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 14):
You misinterpreted him. He was saying that it was a fortunate coincidence that the event occurred at the destination. If the plane diverted in the midwest, the passengers would have to connect

Exactly, my point! Thank you Continental! I'm not bashing the midwest in any way, but I'm glad they didn't have to stop and connect, as, some of us might have known, connecting from like, Fargo, you'd back track to MSP or MCI, or OMA, then fly on to SEA. THAT wouldve been a drag.

zchannel

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:01 pm

Hey, just heard on local news that a US flight from CLT-SEA had a birdstrike over the Puget Sound and was able to land safely. No injuries.

No injuries! What about the poor bird???
ZChannel: Member FDIC

onetogo

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:01 pm

Didnt this happen to an AAL MD80 on takeoff out of SEA just a few weeks ago?

ptharris

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting ZChannel (Reply 16):

It's not reported as an injury but an "unscheduled mid-flight consumable".  Big grin Fried bird for anyone at the gate! Might taste a bit "gamey" and a bit "fuely".  Wink
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

WesternA318

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting Ptharris (Reply 18):
"unscheduled mid-flight consumable".

Isn't that ALL in-flight food?

ptharris

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:18 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 19):
Isn't that ALL in-flight food?

Actually, that's considered "Somewhat scheduled mid-flight recyclables". Considering most of the trash some airlines call "food". 100% guarenteed to come out... what end, we're not sure.  Big grin

However, hitting birds might be a new approach to lowering costs...  Yeah sure

thepilot

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:37 pm

Quoting ZChannel (Reply 16):

My sincere apologies. I love birds, and leaving them out is wrong. Thanks for keeping me straight  Smile
From YVR

gunsontheroof

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:40 pm

birdstrike over the Puget Sound

I didn't see this in the article, but it's worth mentioning that no flights into SEA from the east coast fly over Puget Sound on their way into the airport. The only flights that go over the sound are flights from Asia/Alaska or west coast flights when traffic is landing on 16L/R.

Besides, that bird would have to be flying pretty high over the sound if this were to happen...

thepilot

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:57 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 22):
I didn't see this in the article, but it's worth mentioning that no flights into SEA from the east coast fly over Puget Sound on their way into the airport. The only flights that go over the sound are flights from Asia/Alaska or west coast flights when traffic is landing on 16L/R.

Hey guns,
I was thinking this too. On Tuesday there was a North flow, and he was on final for 34L (I think). Maybe he got in the holding pattern or went way South near McCord, and on final he was near the sound. Who knows.
From YVR

ptharris

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:37 pm

While I'll agree with you both to some degree, Seattle ATC will sometimes delay an aircraft out over the sound for separation reasons. Remember too, that the sound is right next to the airport. It can be easy to fly over parts of the Sound once you reach, say the PAINE VOR. I see he/she was flying the GLASR6 arrival. This approach is rather broad in the terms for traffic as it will navigate you to the start of the traffic pattern and it's "all bets off" once you get into the soup. Then again, knowing how news reports such incidents, you can fly over a local swimming pool and they'll report it as Puget Sound.

gunsontheroof

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:05 pm

Regardless, I still have a difficult time believing that the plane would hit a bird at that high of an altitude. That's not to say that it's impossible, but given the media's complete inability to compile a flawless story on an aviation incident, I have my doubts.

ikramerica

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:21 pm

Birds fly higher than you'd imagine. There's a whole bunch of info on this on the web. Some birds have been spotted at private jet altitudes in the mid 400s. everything from very small birds to vultures. birds don't go into apoxia the same way mammals do, and if catch a wind current at high altitude, can basically "sleep" as they ride the wind without flapping.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

gunsontheroof

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:38 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 26):
Birds fly higher than you'd imagine. There's a whole bunch of info on this on the web. Some birds have been spotted at private jet altitudes in the mid 400s. everything from very small birds to vultures. birds don't go into apoxia the same way mammals do, and if catch a wind current at high altitude, can basically "sleep" as they ride the wind without flapping.

Well damn.

On that note, pending the wildlife biologist's verdict, we should probably start taking bets on what kind of bird it was. My money says it was a turkey vulture.

roseflyer

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:36 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 22):

While they might not have been directly over the sound, some people call the whole area surrounding the water the Puget Sound Area. Planes do fly close to the water, so it isn't that bad of an exagerration.

Also when the airport is in south flow, flights from the south (ie California and Orgegon) are brought up usually on the west side of the airport over Olympia, Vashon Island before turning base over west point and fly along the north edge of Elliott Bay before turning final. So those planes will fly over the water.

And for your information as I find it interesting, on weird occasions (like when the Blue Angles are in town or something) there can be weird departures that take flights out over the sound. I've seen planes in north flow make an immediate turn to the west and climb out over the sound heading towards Bremerton. The interesting thing when they do this is that I have seen planes that climb slowly and actually end up below the class bravo airspace, but of course that only happens a few times a year. They can end up in Boeing Field's airspace, but that usually isn't a problem since the field is closed when the Blue Angels are up.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

visityyj

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting Mymiles2go (Reply 12):
Firefighters were called by people on the ground - NOT by the pilot, ATC or anyone in between. Had the pilot been aware his engine was on fire it would stand to reason (in fact it's probably SOP) that he would inform ATC. Given that communication didn't appear to occur per the FAA, the port, and the PI - it stands to reason that nothing noted in the PI report is incorrect or misleading.

All of which would be reasonable had the engine actually been on fire. A bird ingestion may cause temporary torching and ejection of burning material, and if there had been a flaming engine I would expect the TOWER to have noticed and scrambled the equipment, not "people on the ground". From the article: Port of Seattle firefighters, alerted to the fire by callers on the ground who saw the flames in the Des Moines area, had prepared to respond to a fully engaged fire on the tarmac. Instead, they found the plane already at the gate.

Quoting Mymiles2go (Reply 12):
Learn to read all the information before making assumptions.

Yes. Indeed.

WesternA318

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 27):
My money says it was a turkey vulture.

I'll bring the cranberrry sauce and mashed 'taters! Who's down for seconds?  biggrin 

pilotaydin

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:13 am

if there's anyone that didn't know what was going on, trust me, it was the bird!!
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

ptharris

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 30):
I'll bring the cranberrry sauce and mashed 'taters! Who's down for seconds?

You can count me in for the stuffing! Big grin

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 31):
if there's anyone that didn't know what was going on, trust me, it was the bird!!

A very true statement. The bird had had a first hand look at the issue.  duck 

My money says it was a turkey vulture

You know, Canadian Geese are pretty big in the area. When I worked for QX in PDX MX hanger, we had a few aircraft/goose encounters. In fact, one got stuck to the broken windscreen trim and the captain (jokingly) wanted to cook him up for the ground crew. But, according to the MX newsletter, he didn't as he didn't have a water fowl license in the state of Washington.  rotfl 

WesternA318

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:32 am

Quoting Ptharris (Reply 32):
The bird had had a first hand look at the issue.

LOL, you could say he had a hit/miss opinion. I think he was DEAD on...

zchannel

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:38 am

On that note, pending the wildlife biologist's verdict, we should probably start taking bets on what kind of bird it was. My money says it was a turkey vulture.

It was a highly motivated chicken... Big grin
ZChannel: Member FDIC

WesternA318

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting ZChannel (Reply 34):
It was a highly motivated chicken...

Perhaps he was suffering from depression? (No offense to anyone who suffers in reality, as I do).

thepilot

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:28 am

Does anyone know whether that plane went back to Charlotte on the Redeye, or did it say in SEA overnight. If so, how did the passengers get to Charlotte?
From YVR

Mason

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:41 pm

How hard is it to get the routing right? If the article said it originiated in BOS, I'm sure the rest of the article is full of errors. "Puget Sound" could mean anywhere over Western Washington. At least they got the airline right.

gunsontheroof

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:51 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 28):
Also when the airport is in south flow, flights from the south (ie California and Orgegon) are brought up usually on the west side of the airport over Olympia, Vashon Island before turning base over west point and fly along the north edge of Elliott Bay before turning final. So those planes will fly over the water.

I mentioned this, just not in as much detail. I can see planes flying the OLM5 arrival turning over the Olympia VOR from the parking lot of my apartment complex.

SonOfACaptain

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:51 pm

Quoting ZChannel (Reply 34):
It was a highly motivated chicken...

Or a highly lost bird.  wink 

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

justplanesmart

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:44 pm

I witnessed this while I was waiting for the bus in Des Moines Tuesday evening. As the plane was approaching from the south, I heard two loud pops (similar to a car backfire, but at a lower pitch) which had me watch more closely as it passed over head. The next few minutes the starboard engine had several incidences of flames shooting out accompanied by the same popping sound. I associate this with compressor stalls, but I guess any type of engine surge could be the cause. The pilots kept the plane on the approach path for as far as I could see, so I had presumed that they made a safe landing. Glad to hear that was the case.
"So many planes; so little time..."

visityyj

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting Justplanesmart (Reply 40):
The next few minutes the starboard engine had several incidences of flames shooting out accompanied by the same popping sound. I associate this with compressor stalls, but I guess any type of engine surge could be the cause.

Yes, engines generally don't take kindly to eating birds (if that's what happened), and a big enough bird will cause compressor stalls.

Compressor stall may be caused by engine deterioration, or may be the result of ingestion of birds, ice, or foreign objects. Its effects may be the final sound from a "severe engine damage".
In a turbine engine compression is accomplished as the air passes through the stages of the compressor. The air flowing over the blades can stall just like the air over the wing. When this occurs, the passage of air through the compressor becomes unstable and the compressor can no longer perform its duty. This means the fuel-air mix in the the engine is wrong and the engine essentially 'backfires' for the same reason cars do.

Engine surge can be accompanied by visible flames forward out the inlet and rearward out the tailpipe. Instruments may show high EGT, EPR or rotor speed changes (aka 'surge' as reported by the crew).

Depending on the reason for the compressor stall, there several types of surges:
1) A single self-recovering surge
2) Multiple surge prior to self-recovery
3) Multiple surges requiring pilot action in order to recover
4) A non-recoverable surge
When a compressor surge is not recoverable, the engine will decelarate to zero power as if the fuel had been chopped. This type of surge can accompany a severe engine damage.

Looks like a number 2) on this occasion. I hope we are now all agreed the engine was not on fire and that the crew was aware of the situation; which differs somewhat from the media's version  Yeah sure

As to the airplane continuing on, it would depend on the damage to the engine. I'm guessing this was a minimal strike, in which case it could be dispatched after inspection. Probably need a boroscope when it gets home though.