SuseJ772
Topic Author

CNN Discusses The "scareports" (including Kai Tak)

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:48 am

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/03/24/bad.airports/index.html

I thought this article was amusing. The way the journalist describes teh kai Tak landing you would think it crashed 1 out of 2 times (on a side note, how many fatal accidents were there at Kai Tak).

While I was hoping the journalist would go into other "scary" approaches, he had a tendency to focus more on poor terminal quality (of course CDG was on that list). He did seem to paint SXM landing in a negative light - I think we all would disagree with that.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

FlightShadow

RE: CNN Discusses The "scareports" (including Kai Tak)

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting SuseJ772 (Thread starter):
(on a side note, how many fatal accidents were there at Kai Tak).

IIRC from a school report, there were 10, many occurring in the pre-jumbo era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Tak#Accidents

Quite impressive in my opinion!
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

ANother

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:07 pm

United, when the decided in the early 80's to introduce their first transpacific flights (SEA-HKG) did a DC10 swap with CP Air. They got 3 or 4 of CP's DC10-30s and CP got the same number of UA's DC10-10s and some cash as I recall.

There was a story going around the YVR ops centre at the time of a conversation between the companies chief pilots that went something like:

CP - So you're going to be flying to Kai Tak? How are you handling the extra training?
UA - Extra training? Why, it's just another airport?
CP - Think so? Shall we give it a go in our simulator?

CP got a big contract to train UA's pilots for Kai Tak!

Could be an urban legend, but a good story anyway!

centrair

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:48 pm

I was told by an NW pilot that the old NGO was not scary but challenging as it was short and required a very short stop and very short take-off. restrictions on take-off and the short runway led to revving up the engines while turning onto the runway. Nothing like whipping around a corner in a 744.

He also said that Katmandu was hairy.
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

Ken777

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:44 pm

As a pax I used to love Kai Tak - especially in my last flight when I got to sit in the jump seat for a night landing on a CX 744. While I was always aware of "the turn" it took sitting in the ump seat to understand that the pilot also put the nose down quite a bit during the turn. A high pucker factor for those driving, but I totally enjoyed it - felt like a 5 year old again.

As far as departing, I can take just about any airport a I always get there in plenty of time - even allowing for a taxi or bus having a flat tire. Having a good book makes all the difference - as does being able to get into a club.