DLKAPA
Topic Author

How Can This Be "in Flight"

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:34 pm

when there's nobody at the controls?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Cobus Coetzee

And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

soups

RE: How Can This Be "in Flight"

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:40 pm

Thats africa for you
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

FrancoBlanco

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:46 pm

Ever heard of this great new invention called "autopilot"?
'Pointless!' - NY Times

gunsontheroof

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:49 pm

The throttles definetly aren't idled, so I'd say that the crew vacated their seats to take this shot.

Mir

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:13 pm

Airspeed not reading zero, throttles foreward, that's definitely in flight (or in a simulator). I think I can make out 13,000 on the altimeters, too.

I sure as hell would not do that, autopilot or no autopilot.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Gr8Circle

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:36 pm

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 2):

As far as I know, autopilot or no autopilot, there has to be atleast one pilot in their seat at any time when the engines are running....

FrancoBlanco

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:11 pm

Well ok, so the pilots have left their seats in order to get the photo taken. So what? They are flying somewhere in Africa, maybe they were out of their seats for only 20 seconds and were standing right behind/next to the photographer. I wouldn´t assume they were somewhere in the back of the cabin, chatting with the F/A (which would not have been there since that was a cargo flight, obviously) and the photog sneaks into the cockpit and decides "hmmm what a great opportunity, I`ll take a shot and put it on the internet".

Personally I don´t care about it. But I do care about a great and unique photo. All these "is this safe" threads only discourage photographers from taking such great pics and sharing them with others.

Just my two EuroCents.

Sebastian
'Pointless!' - NY Times

joness0154

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:30 pm

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 6):
Well ok, so the pilots have left their seats in order to get the photo taken. So what? They are flying somewhere in Africa, maybe they were out of their seats for only 20 seconds and were standing right behind/next to the photographer. I wouldn´t assume they were somewhere in the back of the cabin, chatting with the F/A (which would not have been there since that was a cargo flight, obviously) and the photog sneaks into the cockpit and decides "hmmm what a great opportunity, I`ll take a shot and put it on the internet".

Personally I don´t care about it. But I do care about a great and unique photo. All these "is this safe" threads only discourage photographers from taking such great pics and sharing them with others.

Just my two EuroCents.

Sebastian

The problem with africa is that there is hardly any radar coverage....and you're screwed if you have a resolution advisory come up and you're standing at the back of the cockpit....
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

joness0154

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:46 pm

Yeah, because you know, the motto in aviation is "photo's first, safety second"

I think you have it backwards, dude.

No way in hell should safety be compromised like that for a picture that could be duplicated on the ground.

Cadet57

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 8):

we saw what you said the first time  Wink

Quoting DLKAPA (Thread starter):

Sadly, the responses do not surprise me. This is like when I asked about the covered windows in the cockpit...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

rolfen

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:53 pm

It's okay, it's a cargo flight, it's not that bad.
Some cargo flight have one pilot only (am I right?) so what happens when the pilots needs to go to the toilet?
rolf

FrancoBlanco

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:08 am

Don´t know what happened in reply #8. Sorry, my fault.

Of course, you can ask a question about what is going on this pic. But the problem is that the whole thread will soon become a flame war about what is safe and what is not and how we all know better than experienced pilots.

Let´s assume that this pic shows a "dangerous" situation. What are you gonna do next? Sue DHL for employing irresponsible pilots? Never fly DHL again (oops, that´s a cargo airline - nevermind, I won´t fly them ever again)? Sue me for not giving a da*n about safety? Rant on the internet until the photographer resigns and deletes his picture from the database?

Why can´t we all simply enjoy great pics like this and maybe praise them in the forums, why do we always have to discuss everything to death?

Sebastian
'Pointless!' - NY Times

jorge1812

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:12 am

It's again very interesting when the 16-20 year old hobby flight simmers participate in such threads as they are real pilots with lot's of background knowledge. Nobody of us has been in the plane the time the pic was taken and can say something about the situation. Great pic by the way. And the question if has been in-flight or not has been answered already.

Georg

HAWK21M

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 6):

I disagree.
Rules are for a purpose.Follow them.Not if its just for a Picture.A good picture can be taken in ways not compromising safety.

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 11):
Some cargo flight have one pilot only (am I right?) so what happens when the pilots needs to go to the toilet

Most have 2 Flying with 1-2 observers depending on the size.On single pilot aircraft.Use the Bag/Bottle.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

IDISA

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 13):
Nobody of us has been in the plane the time the pic was taken and can say something about the situation.

Perfectly agree. I don't think it's a question of what is safe and what is not. If the crew decided to leave their seats for some seconds only in order to take a beautiful photo they surely knew what they were doing. Remember that any pilot (pax or cargo doesn't matter) first think about his/her own life and safety before doing anything like this.
I can imagine, but please it's only my thought, that the situation was like no traffic, a/c enstablished at cruise speed and altitude. Weather fine, no turbulence, a perfect "normal flight".

Cheers
IDISA

joness0154

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 12):
It's again very interesting when the 16-20 year old hobby flight simmers participate in such threads as they are real pilots with lot's of background knowledge. Nobody of us has been in the plane the time the pic was taken and can say something about the situation. Great pic by the way. And the question if has been in-flight or not has been answered already.

Georg

Gimme a break man, I've been flying since I was 16, so I know what was going on.

I do see what is going on, and I can say something about the situation. It is very unsafe for the crew to do so. I know if anyone on a US carrier did this and got caught they'd probably see themselves out of a job quite quickly.

Gsoshutout55

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:09 am

so none of you have ever flown signle pilot night freight and had to take a shit? if not, then you need not comment on any elements of safety which may or not be present.

joness0154

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting GSOShutout55 (Reply 16):
so none of you have ever flown signle pilot night freight and had to take a shit? if not, then you need not comment on any elements of safety which may or not be present.

I can pretty much guarantee that on most planes flown single pilot for cargo don't have a toilet and are short range.

So you just land. You don't leave your seat....

DLKAPA
Topic Author

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting GSOShutout55's signature:
Dave H KGSO/W88 private pilot

Quoting GSOShutout55's Profile:

apparantly you haven't either.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

FLY2LIM

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 10):
Some cargo flight have one pilot only (am I right?) so what happens when the pilots needs to go to the toilet?

This may be a very dumb question but, hey, I'm not a pilot and I don't know the answer. If a plane is so small that it only allows for one pilot, does that plane have a bathroom for that pilot to use? I'm guessing not. So, in that case, what DOES a pilot do if he/she doesn't have a toilet to use?

I think this thread has truly "gone to the toilet" by now, ha ha ha.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

louA340

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:22 am

The person that took the picture could have even been one of the pilots. They probably just got up for the snapshot.
RyEng

JBirdAV8r

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 2):

Otto/George/etc. never breaks? Some wayward airplane doesn't pop up "out of nowhere" and cause an RA? The airplane doesn't suddenly run into clear air turbulence that throws any occupants not seated/belted into the ceiling?

That'd be news to me, if true. I hope that either 1) that's a sim or 2) the Chief Pilot doesn't catch wind of that.

if not, then you need not comment on any elements of safety which may or not be present.

So basically, you shouldn't comment either...true enough.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

trolle

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:06 am

Ever heard of a simulator?

Gsoshutout55

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:09 am

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 17):
I can pretty much guarantee that on most planes flown single pilot for cargo don't have a toilet and are short range.

So you just land. You don't leave your seat....

wrong.
wrong again.

I've been with friends who have left the cockpit to go take a crap, even yes, as dissgusting as it is, seen pics of it. you nerds really need to get out more and realise that just because something is a rule, doesn't mean it is followed all the time, or even half of the time.

Gsoshutout55

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:10 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 19):
This may be a very dumb question but, hey, I'm not a pilot and I don't know the answer. If a plane is so small that it only allows for one pilot, does that plane have a bathroom for that pilot to use? I'm guessing not. So, in that case, what DOES a pilot do if he/she doesn't have a toilet to use?

I think this thread has truly "gone to the toilet" by now, ha ha ha.

FLY2LIM

chart cases, flight bags, gatorade bottles...

Jalto27R

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting GSOShutout55 (Reply 23):

I've been with friends who have left the cockpit to go take a crap, even yes, as dissgusting as it is, seen pics of it. you nerds really need to get out more and realise that just because something is a rule, doesn't mean it is followed all the time, or even half of the time.

I'm not a common poster around here, but if they're all "nerds" why did you pay nearly $30 to make fun of them? Glad you like looking at pictures of your friend's feces.

But on the topic, I would say they could just use a bottle, or if they really needed to, land.

Mike

Kovi17

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting Trolle (Reply 22):
Ever heard of a simulator?

it doesnt look as if its a simulator because when you click the registration it brings up an actual plan right here -------> http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...gsearch=ZS-ATR&distinct_entry=true
We dont worry about small things like that...

rolfen

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:25 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 19):
This may be a very dumb question but, hey, I'm not a pilot and I don't know the answer. If a plane is so small that it only allows for one pilot, does that plane have a bathroom for that pilot to use?

If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading about dc-3 cargo planes to alaska being flown by single pilots. Not exactly a small plane  Smile. I had assumed they were equipped with toilets and maybe some sort of rudimentary autopilot.
rolf

BAtriple7

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:18 am

I've heard of pilots leaving their seats to go to the toilet. But only with a copilot in his/her own seat at the same time. Who cares if it's a cargo plane? Even if it doesn't have pax in it, an ATR has gotta hurt when it smokes your ass as you're sleeping in bed on the ground.

aerlingusa330

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:59 am

I just noticed this....look at how the captain's Attitude Indicator has the terrain as green, and the F/O's Attitude Indicator has the terrain as brown. I've never seen that before. Is this common?
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

aileron11

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:20 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
I think I can make out 13,000 on the altimeters, too.

If it is 13,000 should the pilots be busy preparing to land? Or maybe they are busy doing something else  Wink
Jersey Lou

JBirdAV8r

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:53 am

Quoting Aerlingusa330 (Reply 29):
I just noticed this....look at how the captain's Attitude Indicator has the terrain as green, and the F/O's Attitude Indicator has the terrain as brown. I've never seen that before. Is this common?

Those displays are Cathode Ray Tube type (CRT) type. Often times when a picture is taken of one you'll get some weird results, similar to taking a picture of a conventional computer monitor. That's also why when you take video of those types of displays they appear to "flicker" sometimes. There are three electron guns (red, blue, green) that "scan" their light onto the screen. Most likely the picture was captured when each were in two different phases.

you nerds really need to get out more and realise that just because something is a rule, doesn't mean it is followed all the time, or even half of the time.

Why don't you tell those "nerds" at your local friendly FSDO that? I'm sure the FAA would love to know that, while holding your Private Pilot certificate in their hands...

remcor

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:02 pm

Ever hear of the crash of Aeroflot flight 593 (A310-300) in 1994? The pilots "broke the rules" by letting one's 15 year old kid in the seat. Something went wrong (probably the kid knocked something) and the because the pilots were out of their seats they weren't able to regain control of the plane in time to save 75 people from getting pulverized.

Uh... rules are there for a reason.

[Edited 2006-04-07 05:04:51]

joness0154

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:21 pm

I don't believe you at all.

Most single engine freight runs are done in light twins or singles like caravans, and there's no way they'd put a toilet in there when they can hold cargo.

I hope I never have to fly with you if you don't follow the rules. Hell, the FAA's rules are lenient as it is.....

zotan

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:23 pm

Right...

Id love to share a cockpit with you one day. NOT! Guys like you are the ones that become statistics. These rules are here for a reason and are meant to be followed.

You always need to be one step ahead of the plane when flying. Not being in your seat doesn't cut it.This is a dangerous situation in the photo. There are a million things that can go wrong and not being in your seat prepared to handle them leads to bad situations.

greasespot

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:36 pm

wrong.
wrong again.

Please tell me a single pilot freighter that has a toilet.

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

United737522

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:39 pm

I am shocked by the stupidity in this forum. I mean, I knew we had a lot of stupid members, but this takes the cake.

All it would take is one uncommanded movement on that aircraft and the plane could be in a roll/dive/climb/whatever and the pilots who are out of their seats are thrown about, unable to get the plane back under control. It would kill people, all over what, a stupid snapshot?

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but safety comes first IMO. I have taken the liberty of forwarding the photo, the photographers name, and any other relevant information to DHL. I assume the photographer is the pilot, and he certainly does not deserve to be one taking risks like that.
'Michael Mooronism' ~Jetjack74

JBirdAV8r

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting ZOTAN (Reply 34):
Right...

Id love to share a cockpit with you one day. NOT! Guys like you are the ones that become statistics. These rules are here for a reason and are meant to be followed.

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 35):

You know, ZOTAN and Greasespot, it's not worth it. GSOShutout is just trying to show off...granted, he is being unsuccessful, but that's what he's trying to do.

He doesn't realize there have been plenty of pilots before him that have tried to do that in airplanes, failed, and died. Some even took out more than themselves.

joffie

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:23 pm

Why dont you ask the author/photographer?

....filler...

United737522

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:32 pm

Quoting Joffie (Reply 38):
Why dont you ask the author/photographer?

....filler...

Ask him what? All the info is below the photo.
'Michael Mooronism' ~Jetjack74

HAWK21M

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:36 pm

Quoting Aerlingusa330 (Reply 29):
just noticed this....look at how the captain's Attitude Indicator has the terrain as green, and the F/O's Attitude Indicator has the terrain as brown. I've never seen that before. Is this common

Was thinking of the same.Could it be optional display.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

pawsleykat

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:49 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Airspeed not reading zero, throttles foreward, that's definitely in flight (or in a simulator). I think I can make out 13,000 on the altimeters, too.

Yes. And the gear's up too!  Smile

Quoting Remcor (Reply 32):
Ever hear of the crash of Aeroflot flight 593 (A310-300) in 1994? The pilots "broke the rules" by letting one's 15 year old kid in the seat. Something went wrong (probably the kid knocked something) and the because the pilots were out of their seats they weren't able to regain control of the plane in time to save 75 people from getting pulverized.

I watched that Air Crash Investigation on telly. Damn, that was freaky / scary!!

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

ZakHH

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:58 pm

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 10):

Sorry, but that is no argument. The DHL 757 that crashed into the Bashkirian TU-154 over Germany in 2002 was also a cargo flight. As was the 747 that crashed into an Amsterdam residental area in 1992.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing these situations to what is displayed in the photo. But safety in the skies is hardly limited to passenger aircraft.

I do not have enough knowledge to judge what I can see on the photo. I can only say that I'd prefer to see someone at the controls. That's my  twocents 
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

trolle

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:02 pm

How about a maintenance check, on jacks, pitot-static test and an engine run-up...in a dark hanger.

Hey, it is Africa after all.

joffie

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:15 pm

Quoting United737522 (Reply 39):
Ask him what? All the info is below the photo.

Not for all.

Ask why there is no pilot as this photo has caused a big shitstorm...

jorge1812

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:49 pm

Quoting LouA340 (Reply 20):
The person that took the picture could have even been one of the pilots. They probably just got up for the snapshot.

Judging from his other pics he seems to be a pilot or a common passenger on one of these cargo ATR's.

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 42):

Sorry, but that is no argument. The DHL 757 that crashed into the Bashkirian TU-154 over Germany in 2002 was also a cargo flight. As was the 747 that crashed into an Amsterdam residental area in 1992.

And both crashed even with 2/3 pilots at the controls.

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 33):
Most single engine freight runs are done in light twins or singles like caravans, and there's no way they'd put a toilet in there when they can hold cargo.

I think they have some kind of a small chemical toilet onboard.

And now stop blaming the pilot/photographer/safety in Africa and go back to the other posts or simply ask the pilot. I think it's common to leave the seat and if most of you would really know what's happening in cockpits all around the world you would stay away from planes for miles. It's far beyond what we can imagine....if every time everything will follow the rules it might be hardly impossible to see a plane crashing.

Georg

Gsoshutout55

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 35):
wrong.
wrong again.

GS

that was my point.

bond007

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:32 pm

you nerds really need to get out more and realise that just because something is a rule, doesn't mean it is followed all the time, or even half of the time.

What a load of drivel! There are rules for a reason. The best pilots and those that are still alive, follow ALL the rules - those that don't often kill themselves and their passengers.  

Somewhere around 56% of airline crashes were pilot error - many due to pilots not 'following the rules'.

If this aircraft is in fact flying, it really wasn't the smartest move either to post the photo on one of the most visited airline sites! If this company ever has an incident/accident, many people, press etc., will be all over this photo - dumb move.

Jimbo

[Edited 2006-04-07 15:37:47]
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

VEEREF

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:28 pm

Isn't it the general belief of most on this board that we pilots don't do anything but push buttons anyway? So what's the big deal then if they are out of their seats? Maybe no buttons needed pushing at that moment?  sarcastic 

This is what the pilotless airplane of the future is going to look like, so get used to it.......
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

YYZYYT

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:41 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 8):
No way in hell should safety be compromised like that for a picture that could be duplicated on the ground.

How about:
"No way in hell should safety be compromised like that for a picture ...."

PS - do I (a non-pilot) see that the throttles set differently? is that common?