letsgetwet

Continental & Alitalia To Code Share

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:43 am

Cory6188

RE: Continental & Alitalia To Code Share

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:03 am

Where the heck is CO going to come up with additional flight numbers for this? Aren't they already nearly maxxed out up to something like 9800?

AussieItaliano

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Thread starter):
Didn't they codeshare once before?

Exactly! That's what I find funny about this press release. It tries to paint this as being a new thing, when it's really not even as close as these two carriers once were.

During the age of Bi-lateral Transatlantic Alliances (NW-KL, UA-LH, proposed AA-BA), CO and AZ were very close partners. I think their code sharing began in 1994, and I remember that for their joint service between EWR and FCO (CO 40 & 41, AZ 640 & 641), they painted CO's livery on one side of the DC10, and AZ's livery on the other side. They also had F/A's from both airlines working the flight.

I don't know how much closer you can get in terms of joint service. That's what got AZ to begin serving EWR in addition to JFK.
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

USPIT10L

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:36 am

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 2):
During the age of Bi-lateral Transatlantic Alliances (NW-KL, UA-LH, proposed AA-BA), CO and AZ were very close partners. I think their code sharing began in 1994, and I remember that for their joint service between EWR and FCO (CO 40 & 41, AZ 640 & 641), they painted CO's livery on one side of the DC10, and AZ's livery on the other side. They also had F/A's from both airlines working the flight.

The arrangement was done by the end of 1998, mostly because of CO's alliance with NW. AZ's aborted tie-up with KL was in 2000. Great to see the two of them cooperating so closely again!
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

worldtraveler

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:16 am

the question should be why CO and AZ are not codesharing as Skyteam partners already and the answer is because there is a fair amount of protectionism in place in Skyteam. Not sure if there were limits on CO coding on AZ because of DL's stronger relationship w/ AZ but DL does not presently codeshare on much of KLM, something that NW and CO did extensively before those 3 joined Skyteam. And NW does not largely code on AF operated flights. And DL does not code on NW flights beyond NRT. Not sure what CO or NW does on KE operated flights since none of the US Skyteam members fly to S. Korea other than NW's service from NRT.

anyone else is welcome to post any non-codesharing relationships between Skyteam members.

USPIT10L

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:22 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 4):
Not sure what CO or NW does on KE operated flights since none of the US Skyteam members fly to S. Korea other than NW's service from NRT.

NW and CO do not codeshare with KE, but KE is a member of both airlines' frequent flyer programs. KE's route network is included in every NW WorldTraveler magazine.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!