MSYtristar
Topic Author

I Must Be Going Crazy (Insane Trip Just Booked)

Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:56 pm

How's this for crazy?

MSY-ORD-DUB-LHR-ORD-MSY, all in the space of a day, 4/18 to 4/19.

I don't know what got into me. I've been staring at this damn passport for weeks now and it's been saying "use me, Steve, use me".

And well, even though I don't have any vacation days, I decided to really push the envelope of how far one can go in the space of two full days and book this trip.

I'll have just over 2.5 hours in Dublin...just enough time to clear customs, maybe grab a souvenir, and check in for the flights back home.

I'm going to take a lot of pics so you can expect those as well as a full trip report (if I'm still alive), when I get back home.

How is the DUB airport by the way? Pretty easy to navigate?

[Edited 2006-04-11 06:02:54]

[Edited 2006-04-11 06:03:31]

afay1

RE: I Must Be Going Crazy (Insane Trip Just Booked)

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:06 pm

At least you will be racking up those Oneworld miles baby!

legacytravel

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:27 pm

drunk   eyepopping  your nuts to that. I love to that type of stuff but never thought of doing that.
Best of Wishes. If you hurry maybe you can grab a Ale in one of the Irish establishment at DUB.
Regards,
Mark in MKE
I love the smell of Jet fuel in the Morning

alaska737

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:33 pm

sounds fun

my crasiest was redmond (OR) to Kodiak (AK) with stops in portland, seattle, ketchikan, sitka, juneau and anchorage.

star_world

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:35 pm

How much was the fare for this?

planesarecool

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):

I stayed overnight at Dublin Airport in December. Its pretty easy, you'll come out of the arrivals on the bottom level and you'll have to go upstairs to the check in. Go up one more level and you'll find some restaurants and bars. I think one of the restaurants (a food court) has a view out over the apron, however it was closed at the crazy hours i was there so i can't confirm that - however there was a large window at the end.

Was pretty boring once airside from what i experienced, however i went straight to my gate which was in the opposite direction to where the shops were (i think).

kanebear

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:02 pm

That's nuts??? Try this on for size, out on a Wed, back on a Sun. All overnights spent in flight. Got to spend 8 hours in SCL, 4 hours in LHR (long enough to get a massage at the T4 Molton Brown spa), 6 or so hours touring Capetown, 3 hours spotting at JNB after a shower and a bite in the BA lounge

CRP-DFW-MIA-SCL-MAD-LHR-CPT-JNB-LHR-ORD-DFW-CRP.

Or, a fun weekend trip I did a bit ago. Out thursday night, back on Sunday.

DFW-GRU-MIA-LHR-ORD-DFW 1h10 on the ground in GRU, what sucks is, NO SHOWERS. So, a change of clothes has to suffice.

I love mileage runs. Big grin

airwave

RE: I Must Be Going Crazy (Insane Trip Just Booked

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:08 pm

Na, for A.net, this isn't crazy:

This, however, worries me:

I've been staring at this damn passport for weeks now and it's been saying "use me, Steve, use me".

Still and all, a rather exciting trip you've got planned there. Enjoy it, while it (and you) lasts!  bigthumbsup 

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

alaskaqantas

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:18 pm

"use me, Steve, use me".

DARN, I wish that I could do that, but still being in school makes it harder  Sad
Sounds like heaps of fun, DUB isn't to hard to navigate around, I've been in MUCH, MUCH worst.
sorry if I sound daft, but what airline are you flying? make sure to write a trip report.. I'll be looking!!!
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

WesternA318

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:27 pm

I've been staring at this damn passport for weeks now and it's been saying "use me, Steve, use me".

LOL, one of my ex's who was gothic used to scream that to me (especially when around Temple Square in downtown SLC, or in the coffin  wink  Wink.

The best mileage run (although this was just to get on a plane, not necessarily a mileage run was: From Monday to Wednesday

SLC-STL-JFK-LAX (TWA)
LAX-PHX-ATL (America West)
ATL-DEN-STL (Frontier/TWA)
STL-IAH-EWR (Continental)
EWR-MUC (Continental)
MUC-EWR/JFK-ORD-IAH-LAX (Continental/TWA/Continental)
LAX-LAS-SLC (America West)
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:19 pm

Quoting Star_world (Reply 4):
How much was the fare for this?

$800 + tax...thank god i've been working 6 days a week/12 hour days lately. Actually the fare is reasonable for all of the flying.

Quoting Kanebear (Reply 6):
CRP-DFW-MIA-SCL-MAD-LHR-CPT-JNB-LHR-ORD-DFW-CRP.

Ok, you beat me there, man that must have been quite a trip!

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 8):
sorry if I sound daft, but what airline are you flying?

I'll be on American from MSY to ORD, ORD to DUB, LHR to ORD, and ORD to MSY...2 M80,s 1 763, and 1 777. I'll be on BMI fron Dublin to Heathrow.

eikiwi

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Gday ..

DUB couldn't be any easier to navigate your way around mate. (Although I spend every working day there, so I'm probably biased)!!

You'd want to be pretty smartish after getting out of arrivals and getting back up to Departures. Checkin won't be a hassle, but the queues at security can be a nightmare at times. Especially as you will be going back through security about the same time that all the US-and DXB bound pax will be going through. Not to mention the additional UK and Continental flights going mid/late-morning.

They've shifted most of the restaurants (the better-quality ones anyway) airside now, so you won't be stuck food-wise. Shops are pretty good too ... and you'll be able to get Duty-Free as you're travelling back to the US on the same day. Just show them your onwards ticket.

Hope this helps .. Enjoy racking up the air-miles, and I won't expect to hear from you on this site until at least a week after your arrival back in the States to give you recovery time!!  Wink

eikiwi.
NPC to IVC

CM767

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:29 pm

The only crazy thing that i have done was:

Out of on Sunday afternoon and back on Friday night:

PTY-SJO-MEX-LAX-LAS-DEN-SEA-YVR-YYZ-IAD-MIA-PTY
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

rolfen

RE: I Must Be Going Crazy (Insane Trip Just Booked

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:15 pm

Yep, you're going crazy.
Enjoy every minute of it.
And dont forget to listen to that sweet accent in dublin.

Personally, I'd have preferred to have some time to spare in london for a lunch, maybe a nigh sleep, some strolling in the city instead of flying to Dublin.

If you're deceived, dont let that keep you from doing other crazy stuff in your life. You never know when it pays off.
rolf

AirCop

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:18 pm

Crazy, if you got extra money..seriously what are you going to do if your inbound flight to Dublin is three hours late?

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 14):
seriously what are you going to do if your inbound flight to Dublin is three hours late?

I guess i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  Smile

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:23 pm

Eikiwi,

I may try to get my boarding pass for my DUB-LHR flight while in ORD at the BMI counter or gate. If I have a connecting boarding pass already when I arrive at DUB would I need to go through the security checkpoint upstairs, or is there some sort of a bypass for connecting passengers?

Thanks again!

eikiwi

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:25 pm

Gday ..

Would AA through-check ya from the States?, and because the return flights are the next day, within a 24hr period, would they be able to check you in for your return journey?? (Then of course, if the 1st/2nd leg is late, they are obliged to get you back by whatever means possible) ....

I could be wrong here, but I would think you are completely covered, once you have a through ticket ......  scratchchin 

eikiwi
NPC to IVC

fbgdavidson

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:40 pm

Although I haven't done a mileage run of this kind being on Flyertalk this type of trip isn't new to my eyes. Partly because a rather crazy friend of mine went through some nutty spells! One weekend he did:

Friday: LHR-BCN-AGP-BCN-LHR
Saturday: LHR-BCN-AGP-BCN-LHR
Sunday: LGW-JER-LHR

then a couple of months later he decided he was going to mileage run his way to AA Platinum and BA Gold at the same time! So one of his months went like this:

Weekend 1:
LHR-LAX-BOS-LHR

Weekend 2:
LHR-AUH-MCT-AUH-MCT-AUH-LHR

Weekend 3:
LHR-JFK-SFO-LAX-HNL-OGG-LAX-JFK-LHR

Weekend 4:
LHR-BAH-DOH-BAH-DOH-LHR

Weekend 5:
LHR-HKG-LHR

Most of it was in F or J but apart from the one night stay in HKG which was a BA error fare of £136 return in economy!

Whilst I find I don't suffer from jetlag I doubt I could put my body through 55,000 miles across only a weeks worth of days and through dozens of time changes!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

DFW13L

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:49 pm

I connected through DUB when I was flying there for the AA inaugural last year and had like 4 hours in DUB. Customs was a breeze. I flew in on the first shamrock of the day from LHR. The duty free shopping in DUB is the best I have seen in Europe so far. You will clear US customs in DUB, so don't spend all your time in the shops!

Enjoy your trip!
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

Door5Right

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:01 am

Fantastic. Just go with the flow. Have a great, great trip. ENJOY!
My soul is in the sky...

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:03 am

Quoting Eikiwi (Reply 17):
Would AA through-check ya from the States?, and because the return flights are the next day, within a 24hr period, would they be able to check you in for your return journey??

See, that's what I'm thinking. Within a 24 hour period, no checked bags, it just may work. That would make it a lot easier.

YULWinterSkies

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting DFW13L (Reply 19):
You will clear US customs in DUB, so don't spend all your time in the shops!

Nope, US immigration instead. Customs are cleared in the US. But in our flyer's case, nothing to clear in DUB since he is leaving Ireland for the UK, and going back home from the UK.
When I doubt... go running!

PanAm747

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:13 am

I was tempted to take USAirways first offer (back in 2002) of routing me ATL-PHL-GSO-CLT-PIT-SAN just to see the looks on the faces of the employees. Don't ask me why the computer said it would be $5 cheaper...

In the end, I knew it would only take one delayed leg to throw the whole thing off and possibly lose my luggage, so I decided against it. But if I'd had the time (and only carry on luggage!), I would have.

So while your itinerary is wild, I say "do it!!"  bigthumbsup  Some of us wish we could do crazy things like that!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

eikiwi

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 21):
See, that's what I'm thinking. Within a 24 hour period, no checked bags, it just may work. That would make it a lot easier.

Well Mate,

The best advice I have, is to ring AA and ask. Ring both AA in MSY and ORD if you can get hold of them, and see if you get the same answer. Biggest issue I can see, is how co-operative BD will be in all of this, as to whether it'll work. In my experience, they're usually pretty good though.

Let me know how you get on.  Wink

eikiwi
NPC to IVC

RL757PVD

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:49 am

How's this for crazy?

I don't know what got into me. I've been staring at this damn passport for weeks now and it's been saying "use me, Steve, use me".

I know how you feel, I hadnt done any traveling lately and last tuesday i decided i was going to go to SXM, so 3 days notice i cashed in some skymiles and went to SXM for a 3 day weekend and just got back sunday. Sometimes you just have to get away for a little.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

flyguy595

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:57 am

Ok here are my two milage runs.

DEN-ORD-ATW-ORD-CDG-IAD-ORD-ANC -ORD-DEN All United Airlines
Over night to Paris and overnight to Anchorage. Other than that stopped to see the Eifle tower and that was it.

DEN-SFO-HNL-OGG-HNL-(JAL) NRT- Train To Kansai- Train to Tokyo -HND-JFK-Train to LGA-DEN all in the course of three days I think dont know how you catch the datline. And we arrived in JFK before we left Tokyo?? So im not sure how long all on united except noted.

[Edited 2006-04-11 17:59:16]

StarGoldLHR

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:00 am

In 5 Days I did:

AMS-LHR-SFO-LHR-AMS-LHR-SIN-SYD
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

qslinger

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:00 am

Hope the passport aint saying, "Fly the plane Steve, fly the plane"
 duck 
Raj Koona

TPAPDX

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:10 am

My longest day:

PDX-LAX-HNL-AKL-SYD (Showered/Changed Clothes)-AKL-HNL (Sent postcards: Wish you were here, etc)-NRT (Changed Clothes)-PDX. No overnights enroute.

All on United, just after they purchased the Pacific routes from PA.

Although I'm a bit older now, I think I'd still do it again!

airplanekid101

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Flyguy595 (Reply 26):

Quoting Flyguy595 (Reply 26):
DEN-ORD-ATW-ORD-CDG-IAD-ORD-ANC -ORD-DEN All United Airlines

wow how do you do that?
Nick K. Appleton, Wisconsin KATW

sk601

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:21 am

How's this for crazy?

After reading the replies, I think I am the first one to think your  crazy  !
I am interested in aviation and I really like to travel, but if I fly a distance like you do, I DO want to see something from the destination! You spend $800 to see DUB-airport....  Confused , I would spend $100 more and stayed at least 1 night in a nice downtown hotel and explore the city...

In January I flew AMS-DTW to visit the NAIAS (autoshow) and thought that was crazy already, so I stayed a couple of days more to see something from DTW as well (cannot recommend though  Silly ).

kaniksu

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:02 am

Ya... I get excited to fly when I am going on a trip... sometimes more so then the trip itself... but I always fly to go to a destination. I can't imagine doing all of that flying and accomplishing nothing imo. You've never used your passport, wouldn't you want to see Dublin and London? Why don't you buy me a ticket so I can stay a few days in each city and experience them???  Smile

amciver

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:25 am

I did

MAN(pint of Boddingtons)-BOM(chicken bryiani)-SIN(Tiger Beer)-BNE(For a VB)-TSV(just for a black tie dinner)

Nice amount of Star Alliance miles though

airtrainer

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:30 am

How's this for crazy?

You're on the right place, only A.netters can understand... My craziest was "just" DUS-BCN-DUS with no more than 10 minutes in BCN (no worries for a late arrival because the return flight was on the same aircraft), I even had to call the gate agent to wait for me. When she asked me why I was doing this, I said "mileage run" and I could read in her eyes "this guy is really crazy"  Smile

Quoting Airwave (Reply 7):
This, however, worries me:

I'm sorry, but I have the same problem... I can't stop watching the visas on it. A lot of people think I'm crazy but I don't mind, especially when I ask them what they love to do... "Er...watching tv ?"

Enjoy every minute of your trip and thanks for the thread, it's nice to hear about the other trips  Smile Be well !
Life is short : eat dessert first !

LH463

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:30 am

Keep up the flying!!! Maybe you'll be the reason our airlines make a profit someday.
Turning final...

Sabena332

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:34 am

Last year I flew HAM-CDG-DTW-LAX on Saturday and LAX-DTW-CDG-DUS one day later (all flights in Business CLass and domestic First Class, respectively). Thanks to this trip I became SkyTeam Silver Elite for another year.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting Kaniksu (Reply 32):
You've never used your passport, wouldn't you want to see Dublin and London?

I've used it...but the last time was 1999. Everytime I look at my passport picture I cringe. It's pretty bad.

Believe me if I had the time I would spend a few days over there; however, time is a luxury I do not have. This will have to do for now.

airwave

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting Airtrainer (Reply 34):
A lot of people think I'm crazy but I don't mind, especially when I ask them what they love to do... "Er...watching tv ?"

Good point. I guess everybody is somebody else's weirdo, huh?  wink 

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Bofredrik

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:20 am

My worst:

Day 1: Departure Stockholm morning
Day 1: Zurich lunch Business meeting
Day 1: Geneva dinner Business meeting
Day 2: Paris breakfast Business meeting
Day 3: Chicago Private meeting
Day 4: As above
Day 5: New York lunch Business meeting
Day 6: Arrival Stockholm morning

United787

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:23 am

I seriously have had nightmares about trips like that.

cxsjr

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:23 am

Without any disrespect to anyone, I love flying but just as much, I love sampling the sights, sounds, smells, tastes and culture of the places I'm visiting - 36 hours in the air for the hell of it, hmmmmm, not for me (see my signature) but if it floats your boat, GO FOR IT!
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

baylorairbear

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:32 am

Since we're measuring  Wink

In July:
ACT-DFW-SFO-AKL-MEL-SYD-AYQ-PER in two days. Return PER-SYD-AKL-SFO-SEA-SAN-DEN-AUS-IAH-ACT in two days

All on a mix of AA, DJ, QF, VB, AS, F9, and CO.

Kane, I think you take the prize, and I'm not gonna try and beat you Big grin

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

AlexPorter

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:44 am

I got my first passport a couple of weeks ago and I have the same feeling! I can't really afford to fly international, so I'm going to use it as my photo ID for my domestic Easter flights. Obviously I won't get any stamps in it but at least I'll put it to use.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

flyguy595

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting Airplanekid101 (Reply 30):
wow how do you do that?

It was easy I had First Class and buisness most of the way. It was hard to go from Paris time to anchorage in one day. I got back and didnt know which time was what. And to top it all off it was light untill almost midnight. Lol

funby

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 3):
my crasiest was redmond (OR) to Kodiak (AK) with stops in portland, seattle, ketchikan, sitka, juneau and anchorage.

Oh the milk run...

The craziest MR I did was ORD-TPA-IAD-CDG-IAD-MCO (overnight)-ORD, out Saturday and back Monday morning.

WesternA318

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:08 am

I'm gunna see if I can mileage run myself to Platinum on CO this year lol. Last year I got there through my work, but this time, I'll havta fork the cash over! Here's what I have so far

Friday, Sept. 1:
SLC-IAH-EWR-CDG
Saturday, Sept. 2:
CDG-EWR-CLE-IAH-LAX
Sunday, Sept 3:
LAX-IAH-CUN
Monday, Sept 4:
CUN-IAH-EWR-FCO
Tuesday, Sept 5:
FCO-EWR-DEN-IAH
Wednesday, Sept 6:
IAH-EWR-HKG
Friday, Sept 7:
HKG-EWR-IAH
Saturday, Sept 8:
IAH-SEA-ANC
Sunday, Sept 9:
ANC-SEA-IAH-SLC

Not too shabby, now I gotta price it out!  laughs 
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

dl021

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:12 am

You are INSANE! But that sounds like a very cool trip.

Last year I did ATL-EWR-MAD-CDG then took the TGV and Heli-Monaco and returned FCO-AMS-YUL-ATL.

This year I'm doing ATL-PHL-CDG-LHR then Edinburgh to ATL direct (so not that crazy but I do get to take a drive across England and Scotland.

The craziest trip I took was Paris/Orly to San Juan (TAP...San Juan was a technical stop), PR to Chicago on United, ORD to New Orleans on United, MSY to ATL on EA as a non-rev. My mother was bringing me back and the flights were completely booked so this was actually faster than staying in Paris for another week. One leg was a 707 with an observation dome. I remember the navigator taking a reading at some point in the evening.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

jsnww81

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:16 am

No shame in booking a trip like that! In the past two years I've done "weekenders" in London (two nights), Paris (one night), Germany (two nights), Dublin (one night), Milan (two nights) and London again (two nights). Next week I've got an ORD-LHR-AMS-LHR-ORD trip booked, just for two quick nights in Amsterdam.

I get an adrenaline rush just from booking spontaneous trips like these. It's a whirlwind - you get back and ask yourself, "did that just happen?" - but it's a lot of fun. Just pack a change of clothes and be prepared in case things go awry!

I'm just like you when it comes to passport stamps. I've got three unstamped pages in mine, and it drives me crazy seeing them sitting there empty. I'm determined to fill it up!

As some of the others have said, DUB is actually a pretty small airport. The immigration hall in Pier B (where you'll most likely arrive) is a total dump, but the rest of the airport isn't too bad. I didn't have much time to spot while I was there, but there's a food court with reasonable views on the mezzanine level, and views from the upper level of Pier B aren't bad either.

Definitely let us know how your trip goes!

RIXrat

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:36 am

MSYtristar,

Just a word of caution. If you are out of the U.S. for less than 48 hours, you can not bring in any duty-free items from abroad. They are pretty strict on that and I was nailed once going to Canada and back.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos