jfklganyc

JetBlue JFK-IAD . . . When?

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:48 am

When is JFK-IAD going to happen on JetBlue?

I think it's the only city in the network not connected to JFK.

After FlyI pulled their 16 flights a day out of the market, I would have thought JetBlue would have stepped in with 4 or 5 flights a day. UAL Express is the only one in the market now . . . so what gives?

Also, before we start posting, I know this isn't a shuttle route. It is the wrong airport in DC and the wrong airport in NY. But there is a market. So let's not compare it to LGA-DCA shuttle routes. That's talking apples and oranges.

PJ

ERJ170

RE: JetBlue JFK-IAD . . . When?

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:53 am

Doesn't B6 do a IAD-BOS shuttle run? so why couldn't they do a IAD-JFK shuttle run? Seems like an opportunity to me
Aiming High and going far..

lightsaber
Crew

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:14 am

IAD-JFK is definately a hole in the B6 network. By allowing connections, this would stimulate IAD demand. Thus making it easier for B6 to launch other routes from IAD. Due to gate constraints at JFK, B6 needs to keep ahead of the game and assure that they have other markets "seeded" for point to point.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

FA4B6

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:16 am

I think B6 is waiting for JFK-DCA, personally. I dont think that JFK-IAD is that important to B6 right now.

DJ
"Leap! And the net will appear."

Danny

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:17 am

Bad mistake. E90 were supposed to be used on local markets with no or little competition where fares were very high aka BUF-BOS.

By putting them on oversaturated shuttle routes JetBlue continues to flaw their business model. 86% LF is making losses for them now. Classic overexpansion case?

CRGsFuture

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:22 am

I think though the IAD(DCA)-JFK(LGA) market is a tough one to tread, and one I'd be weary about. Remember you have to compete with the shuttles who have better and faster connections to downtown DC, and a closer airport to New York City. You have to deal with the always problematic Northeast Corridor that is home to Acela and Metroliner. And finally you have to deal with UA and their monopoly at IAD for their international connections.

I'd rather see them expand out of IAD before we can see a JFK-IAD route as it allows more connecting options.
Flying you to your destination; your girlfriend to her dreams.

freakydeaky

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:51 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see this route when they get the new 7-gate temporary terminal up and running in June or whenever it's supposed to be.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't be surprised if they have more choice routes that don't include IAD. It's really hard to say what the demand would be - but I do think that it would open up some connection possibilities in JFK for IAD passengers.

I'm thinking we have to wait and see what the long-range plans for IAD are. I keep expecting some sort of formal announcement about this any day now......
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could."

B6JFKH81

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:30 am

I don't see this happening. I would much rather see an expansion at IAD for the cities that they don't fly to yet. It is a short flight with high delay potentials IMO.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

FA4B6

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 7):
I don't see this happening. I would much rather see an expansion at IAD for the cities that they don't fly to yet. It is a short flight with high delay potentials IMO.

I agree. I'd love to see IAD-BUF, IAD-MCO, IAD-BTV ... I just dont think that IAD-JFK is all that important for us yet. They can connect in BOS to a lot of places we fly.

DJ
"Leap! And the net will appear."

freakydeaky

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:39 am

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 7):
I don't see this happening.

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 8):
I just dont think that IAD-JFK is all that important for us yet.

I see your points and I agree to a certain extent. My only thought is that they don't seem to be announcing any IAD expansion plans so in light of that - a IAD-JFK makes sense. Hopefully, my point will soon be moot!!

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 3):
I think B6 is waiting for JFK-DCA

I think this would be perfect. AE charges $400 for a RT frequently.
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could."

jetblueatjfk

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:39 am

They should work on IAD to other cities like MCO, BUF, BTV, TPA, SJC, etc. I see JFK-IAD later on when they are back in the green.

B6jfk airplane 

steeler83

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:12 pm

Quoting Danny (Reply 4):
Bad mistake. E90 were supposed to be used on local markets with no or little competition where fares were very high aka BUF-BOS.

Would PIT-BOS and JFK fall into this category??? US charges prices that are in the stratosphere on those routes...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

panam330

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:10 pm

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Thread starter):
After FlyI pulled their 16 flights a day out of the market, I would have thought JetBlue would have stepped in with 4 or 5 flights a day.

For the umpteenth time, nobody needs to 'fill in' for DH- they left no void in almost any market. They only served to add capacity to a market that didn't need it.

InTheSky74

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:59 pm

I'd love to see JFK-IAD service - even if only 2 or 3 times a day. It definitely would help "connect the dots" for JetBlue.

Rob

UN_B732

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:18 pm

IAD-BTV, BUF, MCO, TPA, SJC? Do we jetBlue to be another flyI? (with a somewhat lower CASM, arguably)
What now?

dutchjet

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:53 pm

I agree, JFK-IAD is a route that JetBlue need not fly.......but the same things were said about JFK-BOS (no demand, not correct airport for most pax, etc) and that route seems to have worked out OK for JetBlue.

B6JFKH81

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 15):
agree, JFK-IAD is a route that JetBlue need not fly.......but the same things were said about JFK-BOS (no demand, not correct airport for most pax, etc) and that route seems to have worked out OK for JetBlue.

Thanks for the support! Yeah, I think about JFK-BOS a lot. It has actually turned out better than I thought it was going to. But the on time performance is not good and I cannot see us adding another route right now that will jeopardize whatever on time performance we do have. I do think it is a route that could work, but I would much rather see us expand the IAD routes to Florida and possibly SJU, NAS, and other carribean destinations.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"