jetpixx

$118 RT - FLL-DFW In June - How? Why?

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:44 am

I just made a purchase of an airline ticket round-trip from Fort Lauderdale to Dallas/Ft. Worth in mid-June which was $49 each way for a total of $118 round-trip. How does an airline make money on a fare like this? I am not complaining or willing to pay more, but I am confused how this is even possible and why it would be offered in the first place.

(edit - to mention) Duh...I forgot to mention it is AA. It will be my first flight on American, by the way, after years of flying DL. I don't like the uncertainty over there and I wanted to N/S.

[Edited 2006-04-11 21:48:18]

dutchjet

RE: $118 RT - FLL-DFW In June - How? Why?

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:04 am

You lucked out - you found the cheapest fares in the market on the dates your are travelling. I imagine that your flights are before the school holiday travel period and June is not a busy time in Florida (the snowbirds are gone and the family vacation is not scheduled until July or August).......does AA (or any other airline) make money on these super low fares? Of course not, but the fares are good for advertising and promotional purposes and fill up seats that would probably otherwise go empty.

commavia

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:07 am

The key with these fares is that AA doesn't sell every seat on the plane at $118 RT. You probably got one of only two or three seats on the plane that are available at that price, so congragulations to you. These fares allow the airline to sell seats that, as Dutchjet said, would likely otherwise go un-sold as the day of departure approached. I guarantee you that as you get closer to mid-June, if you keep checking the fares on the exact itinerary (days, flights, etc.), the lowest fares will go up.

stlgph

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:07 am

That's nothing. I've been finding $88 roundtrip with taxes and total on several airlines from St. Louis to Florida on the slower days of May before the summer travel boom sets in.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jpdflymhtmlb

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:11 am

I wouldn't complain, a while back when I was looking for a flight home for winter break, I booked a RT on NW for $86, tax brought it up to about $110. The route? MCO-MHT via DTW. Funny story about that flight was I got upgraded to first class on the way to MHT, and the lady sitting next to me was saying something about how she hoped we got a meal in First, especially with what we paid for the tickets, to which I looked at her and said, "Oh yeah, I agree..."

Fly
Landings are just controlled crashes.

bond007

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting Jetpixx (Thread starter):
How does an airline make money on a fare like this?

It would appear that US legacy airlines are not making money on that fare, or most of the other fares they have.

The current pricing programs are one of the reasons, IMO, why these airlines are losing money. The fact that you can pay $59 and the guy next to you $590 is ludicrous.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

jetdeltamsy

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:37 am

I believe you can send a thank you note to Spirit Airlines.

You may not be flying Spirit, but it's their price that is forcing others to lower theirs (namely AA).

The $98 round trip fares STL-Florida mentioned above can be attributed to USA3000.

These little outfits devastate yield for legacy carriers when they enter new markets.

[Edited 2006-04-12 03:48:35]
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.