ca2ohHP

Doug Parker Letter

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:25 am

This letter was sent in response to jetBlue's recently announced North Carolina service:

To: US Employees (especially to our Charlotte-based team):
In announcing JetBlue's intention to add a handful of regional jet flights from JFK to Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham yesterday, JetBlue CEO David Neeleman made the following comment "Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham have natural ties to New York, but until now, the people of North Carolina have overpaid for sub-standard service." As US Airways is the largest provider of service from Charlotte to New York, we can assume that at least some of Mr. Neeleman's remarks were targeted at us. A number of you were upset by these remarks so I thought I should share my views with you.
First, I know David pretty well and I can assure you he is a genuinely good person. That he chose to make such a remark is probably indicative of the stress that JetBlue is under and we should not take his remarks personally. JetBlue is experiencing a relative profitability decline that is unprecedented in our industry. It is probably very hard for them to hear that US Airways (who they'd counted on being gone by now) is expecting to be profitable in 2006 (excluding transition related expenses), while they have disclosed that they expect to be unprofitable.
Their problems are serious and structural: 1) they have a low cost structure that is driven primarily by a low average age (low seniority employees, low maintenance on new airplanes for three years, etc.); 2) to maintain a low average age, they must grow; and 3) there are no more growth markets in our industry (which is where our survival really hurt them). And, their problems are well appreciated by the financial markets. Since our merger, US Airways stock has appreciated over 100%, while JetBlue is down about 20%. It doesn't appear that our customers are overpaying; rather it appears that passengers aren't willing to pay JetBlue enough for them to be profitable.
Some of this is likely due to their own service. While US Airways has been the leading on-time major airline since our merger, JetBlue has been among the worst! To characterize arriving late in JFK with a TV in front of you as better service than being on-time in LGA with a first class cabin, an award-winning frequent flyer program, business clubs and a global alliance, suggests that JetBlue may be looking at the wrong service standards.
The fact of the matter is JetBlue is struggling mightily and the hard working employees of US Airways are a big reason why. Rather than get upset by their comments we should keep them in context.
US Airways is going to be here long after JetBlue -- that was not their plan and they are trying to figure out what to do about it.
We, on the other hand, know what to do -- we will compete aggressively, we will focus on running our own race and we will win. Thanks so much for taking care of our customers and please keep it up.
Sincerely,

Doug

Arriving late in JFK with a TV is the best line.

[Edited 2006-04-14 23:28:36]

etops1

RE: Doug Parker Letter

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:37 am

already posted under"jetblue better watch out". but i agree ,that was a good line.

ca2ohHP

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:37 am

Yeah but I beat ya to it...hahaha....kidding. (well not really)

N908AW

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:53 am

Basically...

"Yeah, he's a geniunly good person, but I'm gonna blast him anyway."
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

PSA727

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:55 am

Although a letter like this is probably not needed, it is meant to
be a confidece-booster to the people at US.
Parker used facts for his arguement; facts which the US employees
should be proud of.
I wish the new US the best of luck to succeed !
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

n471wn

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:55 am

Oh my....talk about spinning the truth.....Jet Blue versus US Air....just ask the thousands of "no and lost baggage" US Air customers who they would rather fly......Doug should never underestimate David---he will lose if he does

DLKAPA

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:56 am

This is why I have alot of respect for Doug. He has a very good eye on the big picture.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

USPIT10L

Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:07 am

Quoting Ca2ohHP (Thread starter):

I have been waiting for someone like Doug Parker to take over US Airways for what seems like forever. Great job in boosting the confidence and morale of US Airways employees in CLT and RDU. It's also great to see US Airways be a great operational airline again. After the PR pounding they took with the whole PHL fiasco and also the hurricane problems plagueing their Caribbean network, it's great to see something positive come out of their executive's mouths.

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 6):

I couldn't have said it better myself.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

HPLASOps

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Quoting Dbba (Reply 5):
Oh my....talk about spinning the truth.....Jet Blue versus US Air....just ask the thousands of "no and lost baggage" US Air customers who they would rather fly......Doug should never underestimate David---he will lose if he does

And Doug will fire back and say "that was the old US Airways, a past fault we are looking to correct and ensure future problems are minimal as part of the new US Airways - check out the baggage numbers from America West."

Don't be so sure Neeleman will beat Parker in this debate.

[Edited 2006-04-15 06:05:13]
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

F9Animal

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:52 pm

Quoting Dbba (Reply 5):

I think Neelman is trying to take a whack at a dangerous competitior. I think he is walking on territory that could be fatal to B6.

I do envy B6, but I would have to put my bets on US in this one. I think B6 is going into a territory that will produce no profit. US will fight tooth and nail on this one. If B6 offers 30 dollars, US will cut to 15. Who do you think would last longer?
I Am A Different Animal!!

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:36 pm

Jetblue Better Watch Out. (by Etops1 Apr 14 2006 in Civil Aviation)
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

sllevin

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 9):
I think Neelman is trying to take a whack at a dangerous competitior. I think he is walking on territory that could be fatal to B6.

Neeleman was always intending to eventually go head to head with everyone -- at some point, the next 100 aircraft on order have to go somewhere, and most of those 'somewheres' already have airlines flying them.

What troubles me (and much of Wall Street, it appears) is that jetBlue isn't making money with a load factor of over 85%. As the airline expands, it's not unreasonable to assume that the load factor overall will drop -- and even a drop to 80% would leave B6 losing money at an alarming rate.

Steve

WesternA318

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:46 pm

The fact of the matter is JetBlue is struggling mightily and the hard working employees of US Airways are a big reason why. Rather than get upset by their comments we should keep them in context.
US Airways is going to be here long after JetBlue -- that was not their plan and they are trying to figure out what to do about it.
We, on the other hand, know what to do -- we will compete aggressively, we will focus on running our own race and we will win. Thanks so much for taking care of our customers and please keep it up.

*cocks rifle* READY FOR BATTLE MR. PARKER! Down with those infidel blue tails! *evil grin*

Quoting Dbba (Reply 5):
Doug should never underestimate David---he will lose if he does

Yeah, *rolls eyes* It should be the other way around.

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 9):
I think he is walking on territory that could be fatal to B6.

Oh I certainly hope so. B6 is just another overhyped crappy all-coach PeoplExpress clone.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

F9Animal

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:41 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 12):
Oh I certainly hope so. B6 is just another overhyped crappy all-coach PeoplExpress clone.

You have a good point there. I think Neelman needs to be cautious about the growth of B6. PeopleExpress had the same fate. I think they grew too quickly.

B6 had a great start, and certainly turned my head. The moment I saw B6 order another aircraft type, I scratched my head.

I certainly wish B6 the best of luck, as I get sick watching the industry tumble. I just think challenging another carrier at a time like this is not very smart business thinking. If fuel was at a comfortable price, I would be all for airlines putting on the gloves. If anything, this should be a time for the industry to slow its growth, and fix the problems.

Many say that US will fail. I really think the direction US has and is taking, might be the airline that turns many heads. Heck, they have a good route structure, and they are by no means a small carrier. B6 can't even compare apples to apples when looking at the spread sheets. US has been very quiet lately, and that tells me that they are working their tails off to get it right.

If US and B6 go head to head, I would have to put my bets on US coming out winning. US has plenty of planes to throw on B6's routes, and a tad bit more cash to play with. I really hope it does not come down to that.

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 11):
Neeleman was always intending to eventually go head to head with everyone -- at some point, the next 100 aircraft on order have to go somewhere, and most of those 'somewheres' already have airlines flying them.

What troubles me (and much of Wall Street, it appears) is that jetBlue isn't making money with a load factor of over 85%. As the airline expands, it's not unreasonable to assume that the load factor overall will drop -- and even a drop to 80% would leave B6 losing money at an alarming rate.

Right on. I again think Neelman is trying to grow this airline too quickly. When we look at the next 100 aircraft, and saying they have to go somewhere,,,, that concerns me. B6 would be smart to just delay the orders, and work on fine tuning what they have right now. Play with the RASM/CASM a little to get the formula to work with the $70 per barrel oil price, and go on from there.

B6 does have a good product, and I think they can turn this around. I think Neelman is a great, but I question his latest moves. Maybe he knows something, but I just think the timing is bad. Is he still looking at the year 2000 models? Times have changed dramatically since then.
I Am A Different Animal!!

FCYTravis

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:52 pm

When fleets are growing slowly, or even shrinking as in the case of the majors, one can afford to - and indeed, must - take time to carefully allocate each jet for each route to maximally utilize a spread-thin fleet.

Conversely, when you've got new jets pouring in, you can't really afford to perform traffic analysis or market studies or all that... you've gotta throw the jet on the route and hope it works because a week later you've got another jet coming that you've got to find somewhere else to put... otherwise you've got expensive lease payments parked on an apron somewhere.

That's what's happening to jetBlue.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Great thread - nice letter.

That said: Neelman's right. CLT, GSO, RDU all held hostage by high fares at US Airways.

CLT especially. From 1996-2000 I commuted between DCA and CLT, and it was outrageously expensive. US was literally the only game in town CLT to DCA/BWI/IAD.

Occasionally I'd be on a business trip to/from DCA/IAD. I'd plan a stop over in CLT for a weekend, and the ticket price would routinely jump over $275. I have all the paperwork to support that claim by the way.

So any competition in CLT that will bring a lower cost to that market is likely to be welcomed there . . .

What ever Doug Parker thinks is fine - but the population around CLT is finally going to get a break.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Dtw757

Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:48 pm

[quote=Etops1,reply=1]already posted under"jetblue better watch out".

Interesting that two threads were started within 2 minutes of one another on this same topic and the other thread was locked even though twice as many responses were posted in the other thread over the same period of time.

No offense at all to the threadstarter here but "JetBlue Better Watch Out" just seems to say CLICK ME! Could also be why the other thread currently has 5x as many views.

Edited to add this. In my opinion, if a moderator is going to lock a thread, why lock up one that has attracted more attention because it was started two minutes later?

[Edited 2006-04-15 13:55:52]
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

ERJ170

Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:16 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
That said: Neelman's right. CLT, GSO, RDU all held hostage by high fares at US Airways.

Not just CLT, GSO, and RDU.

You have to look at EWN (New Bern), PGV (Greenville), OAJ (Jacksonville) also.. They are being Strangled by US. I'm sure if they lowered the price by 20%, then US would see a jump in traffic. If not a lower price, then certainly another carrier could help lower the prices.

Alas, there isn't really a LCC who does small airports except Allegiant... hmmm?!?!?

To go DCA-EWN .. it was looking to cost me $480! Come on.. loosen the noose some so some traffic could actually flourish there!
Aiming High and going far..

PlaneHunter

Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 12):

If have flown many LCCs in Europe and the US, along with numerous legacy carriers. And B6 has been one of the most impressing, it beats any other LCC and most legacy carriers as well. Friendliness both on the ground and in the air, clean cabins with comfortable seats and lots of legroom, personal IFE with LiveTV, free snacks, attractive fares, not to forget a most modern fleet = a perfect combo not really common in these days.

They introduced some attractive innovations, brought down fares on overpriced routes and forced once lazy majors to update their products - so what's wrong with that? What has B6 done to qualify for these repeated ridiculous hate speeches by Internet forum users, most of whom have never seen a B6 aircraft from the inside, and many of whom fly probably two round trips a year, if any at all?

And of course, there will always be people who prefer paying thrice as much for a flight with only a third of amenities...

Best Regards,
PlaneHunter

[Edited 2006-04-15 15:09:15]
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

HPRamper

Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 17):
Alas, there isn't really a LCC who does small airports except Allegiant... hmmm?!?!?

B6 might now, with the 190s.

etops1

Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting DTW757 (Reply 16):

it's ok . my momma tought me to share.

ERJ170

Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:04 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 19):
B6 might now, with the 190s.

No.. No.. I mean, small tier airports.. less than 500,000 annual pax

LGAtoIND

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:30 am

Parker would never have written the letter if he wasn't worried about B6 invading CLT. Seems about the same as a "they're coming to kill us" letter, just replacing the negativity with blowing steam up everyone's ass.

jfklganyc

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:38 am

You have to remember, it isn't just CLT and RDU . . . B6 also just announced JFK-PIT.

I guess the guy had to say something. He had to rally the troops. Might I add that AA added 4x daily service from LGA-CLT last year. No big deal was made on US's behalf. And the two carriers compete quite well.

Same wil happen with B6.

BTW...the 170/190 is a regional jet? Then why are you flying them under a mainline banner Doug?

PJ

planeloco

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:50 am

F9 definitely worries me with their fast expansion. They do have an excellent product. I absolutely prefer it over US any day. I would hate to see it vanish.

However, I hope Doug has a statement prepared for SW's arrival. I hear they have CLT in their sights. SW and F9 together would definitely have US by the short and curlies! Even SW alone would whack US pretty good.

werdywerd

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:55 am

Hmm. Doug P. sounds more like this guy to me:

"Everything is fine here, there is nothing to worry about. Those Infidels at Jetblue will fail miserably. Take my word for it."

SBN580

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:58 am

Arriving late in JFK with a TV is the best line.

Yes, but you know, many people with a TV screen in front of them is like a sedadtive. Maybe they think it makes for fewer angry passengers in a delay. A little Soma is good for you.  drool 
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

planeloco

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:13 am

SPOT ON, Werdywerd!!

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" also comes to mind.

ajiggity3

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:16 am

CLT and JBLU . . . I am having a flashback, oh wait that was ATL and JBLU. I think JBLU is in for quite a run for their money in CLT. Let's look back to how this all got started, Neeleman began this war by even brining up USAir. Parker would not have even sent out a letter if Neeleman did not start the "sub-standard service" comment.

They have angered the 800lb gorilla in CLT, just like they angered the 800lb gorilla in ATL and they lost. JBLU may have all these quirky ammenities but these major business cities want business ammenities like solid mileage programs, club lounges (across alliances) etc. I don't look for JBLU to last in CLT, however RDU is another story.

CRJ900

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:36 am

In the other (locked) thread one a.netter wrote that B6 will lease out or sell some of the newest aircraft... are these only A320 aircraft or will they get rid of some E190s too?

With the cut-throat competition in the US, perhaps B6 will end up flying mostly E190s and only have a "few" (100) A320s for selected trans-cons and NYC-Florida...? Airbus should have no problem finding new customers for 150 brand new A320s...
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

antoniemey

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:31 am

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 29):
In the other (locked) thread one a.netter wrote that B6 will lease out or sell some of the newest aircraft... are these only A320 aircraft or will they get rid of some E190s too?

They don't have enough of the E-190s to get rid of yet.  Smile
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

jsposaune

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:33 am

Quoting Planeloco (Reply 24):
However, I hope Doug has a statement prepared for SW's arrival.

Somehow methinks Air Namibia isn't really going to give us too much of a problem!!!

duck 

I'm sorry....I had to!
There are no stupid questions....only stupid people!!!

FCYTravis

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):

Um... US isn't the largest carrier at either of the latter two airports. DL and AA are bigger at GSO and RDU, respectively. US isn't holding anyone hostage there.

But I forgot, just blame US Airways for everyone's ills and it'll all be OK.  Yeah sure
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

PSA727

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:19 am

Is starting CLT-JFK and RDU-JFK really going after US anyway?

Isn't DL planning JFK-RDU as part of their "hub" expansion at JFK?

And do people wanting to go to Manhattan really want to land at
JFK instead of LGA? I know I don't.
Besides, look at how many flights there are between CLT and LGA
on US; more flights equals more choices.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

ERJ170

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 33):

No. Neither are US routes. I don't think they will give it much thought.

Isn't DL planning JFK-RDU as part of their "hub" expansi

Long time route. Use to be 4x daily, now 2x. Mostly for connecting to international flights.

And do people wanting to go to Manhattan really want to land at
JFK instead of LGA? I know I don't.

For most, it doesn't matter as long as they get to NYC.

Unknown about CLT, but for RDU.. there are already 37 flights to NYC daily. It gives the flying more choices.. there are a lot of NY transplants in NC though.. so B6 already has some marketing power in NC that way. I think all airlines will do very well in NC.. No worries. And hopefully, B6 will expand to some unserved routes (from RDU).

dallas74

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:30 am

Quoting Ajiggity3 (Reply 28):
CLT and JBLU . . . I am having a flashback, oh wait that was ATL and JBLU. I think JBLU is in for quite a run for their money in CLT.

ATL and CLT are not the same. JetBlue ran into a wall in Atlanta because it under estimated AirTran not Delta. By turning ATL into a minor focus city AirTran became a second competitor and not a neutral observer.

In the case of CLT AirTran has started service at will without any problems against the U part of LCC. JetBlue will continue this trend. What is LCC going to do about it? How about nothing.

They have angered the 800lb gorilla in CLT, just like they angered the 800lb gorilla in ATL and they lost.

So JetBlue starting service from CLT is the thing that has awakened the 800lb gorilla? Too bad the gorilla didn't wake up before it merged with America West. Too bad the gorilla was asleep at the wheel while AirTran invaded its territory from New England to Florida. I guess we can chalk up LUV's PHL start up to a comatose gorilla as well.

Mr. Parker is talking tough, but the U part of his company is under siege by AirTran, JetBlue, and Southwest. Continentals EWR hub steals U European passengers. There is a reason U continues to shrink itself and outsource to Regional carriers.

JBLU may have all these quirky amenities but these major business cities want business amenities like solid mileage programs, club lounges (across alliances) etc.

JetBlue has a solid business travel base. Don't kid yourself. U's FC between LGA and CLT is nothing to write home about. No meal, one beverage service, and peanuts. A wide seat at top dollar is not going to keep people loyal when you can get the same cabin service, TV, and leather seats at a lower fare. Business people are under pressure to reduce expenses - not fly FC on two hour trips.

Some of Mr. Parker's comments are down right comical. I think it is funny that a CEO who has never produced a profit from operations in his career should be taking shots at another CEO who has a better track record. Let's face it without the ATSB Mr. Parker would have been out of a job a long time ago.

Things are brighter over at JetBlue than LCC. After all JetBlue doesn't share most of their major hubs with the 10,000 lb King of the Jungle - Southwest!

JBLUA320

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:51 am

FCYTravis is partly correct-- these are statistics from the three airlines directly for frequencies on a Monday.
==================
RALEIGH/DURHAM RDU
Delta - 78 frequencies in/out RDU (ATL, BOS, CVG, FLL, JFK, LGA, MCO, SLC< TPA)
American - 116 frequencies in/out RDU (AUS, BOS, ORD, DFW, BDL, LGW, MIA, EWR, JFK, LGA, STL, DCA)
USAirways - 77 frequencies in/out RDU (CHS, CLT, LGA, ORF, PHL, PIT, DCA)

So for RDU:
1. American
2. Delta
3. US Airways
===================
GREENSBORO GSO
Delta - 44 frequencies in/out GSO (ATL, LGA, CVG, MCO, BOS, FLL)
American - 8 frequencies in/out GSO (DFW, MIA)
US Airways - 54 frequencies in/out GSO (LGA, CLT, PHL, DCA)

So for GSO:
1. US Airways
2. Delta
3. American

-JBLU

USPIT10L

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting Werdywerd (Reply 25):

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

I wouldn't take it that far, but a great picture nonetheless. Parker knows what he's doing. I think jetBlue will do well in CLT in particular, simply because of the outrageous fares US is charging.

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 23):
You have to remember, it isn't just CLT and RDU . . . B6 also just announced JFK-PIT.

I guess the guy had to say something. He had to rally the troops. Might I add that AA added 4x daily service from LGA-CLT last year. No big deal was made on US's behalf. And the two carriers compete quite well.

AA also just started PIT-LGA with CR7s. Same lack of response from US. Competition is good.

JBLUA320

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:54 am

USPIT-- AA is using the E135 on LGA-PIT. I flew the route last week  Smile

JBLU

USPIT10L

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting JBLUA320 (Reply 38):

Thanks, I'd be surprised if they don't upgrade it soon if it does well. How were the loads on it? I saw a CR7 to DFW about three weeks ago. Good to see variety at Eagle in PIT.

JBLUA320

Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:59 am

I think both flights had aroud 30 people on them, which isn't bad on a 37 seater. I remember hearing the numbers 31 and 32 but I could be dreaming..

JBLU

Edited to add: Just thought I'd mention that the service provided from the cabin crews on Eagle was fantastic.

[Edited 2006-04-15 23:04:46]

WesternA318

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:45 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 18):
What has B6 done to qualify for these repeated ridiculous hate speeches by Internet forum users, most of whom have never seen a B6 aircraft from the inside, and many of whom fly probably two round trips a year, if any at all?

I know I'm one of a dying breed, but I have flown B6, and have found it quite uncomfortable. I do prefer having my First Class seat and service level, and I gladly fork over over $1k per ticket domestically just to get that service, especially on CO. And last year, I have flown over 250,450 (according to my OnePass statements) miles. B6 I flew twice last year, JFK-SLC both times, unfortunately. Nothing spectacular as I don't really care for the TV.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Dallas74 (Reply 35):
JetBlue ran into a wall in Atlanta because it under estimated AirTran not Delta. By turning ATL into a minor focus city AirTran became a second competitor and not a neutral observer.

The pressure was mostly from DL. At the time, AirTran had 1 maybe 2 N/S daily flights representing approx 300 seats. DL had 10 or more daily flights representing approx 2500 to 3000 seats. Most were widebody, IFE was available, triple FF mileage offered, meals offered (free in F/C), some flights offered B/E seats, Crown Room Clubs in both airports, obviously more convenient schedules and connection opportunities. If JetBlue only had to compete against AirTran at the time, JetBlue would still be in ATL. The fact is, JetBlue underestimated DL in the ATL-LAX market.

CentPIT

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:42 am

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 23):

As well as a money maker--PIT-BOS!

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 39):
Thanks, I'd be surprised if they don't upgrade it soon if it does well. How were the loads on it? I saw a CR7 to DFW about three weeks ago. Good to see variety at Eagle in PIT.

I doubt the service will get an upgrade. The average load factor is 76.5%! Being that PIT is all Eagle, it is not wander they have variety.

Smile
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

CentPIT

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:00 am

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 32):
But I forgot, just blame US Airways for everyone's ills and it'll all be OK.

Not only this, but WN is already in RDU!

Why does he mention CLT and RDU. PIT is getting more B6 service than both cities. I know US doesn't care much about PIT, but don't even tell me they don't care about PIT-(LGA and EWR) and PIT-BOS!

Maybe US will begin service PIT-JFK and CLT-JFK?

:D

HPRamper

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 44):
Maybe US will begin service PIT-JFK and CLT-JFK?

Why not? It would be on HP metal though, since HP flew to JFK and EWR but not LGA.

CentPIT

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:34 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 45):
Why not? It would be on HP metal though, since HP flew to JFK and EWR but not LGA.

To better compete, I would suggest using the E70 on both the routes if they were to start them.

MalpensaSFO

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:47 am

No, it will however compete with the LGA-CLT flights that US currently operates. So retalitation is very, very likely..

Isn't DL planning JFK-RDU as part of their "hub" expansion at JFK?

Yes, just as they are adding RDU-LAX as their hub-whatever-ization at LAX..

US isn't the largest carrier at either of the latter two airports.

US is the largest airline in the Carolinas hands down including RDU, CLT, GSO, and MYR..

. DL and AA are bigger at GSO and RDU, respectively

Than who?
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

JBLUA320

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:59 am

I encourage you to look at a thread I posted before for RDU/GSO frequencies between DL US and AA. I am a US supporter but they are NOT the largest carrier into every airport in the Carolinas. Delta and American both have more frequencies at RDU than USAirways does.

JBLU

HPRamper

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:02 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 46):
To better compete, I would suggest using the E70 on both the routes if they were to start them.

HP doesn't fly the 70. It would be a good route for the E190 though, when we take delivery.
US doesn't have any infrastructure at JFK, everything is all HP. Flights have to be on HP metal.