aircanada333

No More Maho Beach In The Next Months?

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:25 am

Hi Folks!!!

I don't know if it's true but I heard from a friend that there will be no more Maho Beach in the next months because they want the runway to be longer.

I hope this is only dumb information because I would really like to go there in the future.

Benjamin  wave 
De-icing RULZ!!!

komododx

RE: No More Maho Beach In The Next Months?

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:26 am

AFAIK it's the other side of the runway on which they are extending it. I highly doubt they would close Maho Beach.

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

aircanada333

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 1):
AFAIK it's the other side of the runway on which they are extending it. I highly doubt they would close Maho Beach

I really hope because it is one of my biggest dream to go there.
De-icing RULZ!!!

tranceport

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:43 am

I've never been there but just from the photos I don't see how they could extend it in the direction of Maho Beach anyway. Doesn't the runway already begin almost right over the fence there?

Gr8Circle

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting Tranceport (Reply 3):
I've never been there but just from the photos I don't see how they could extend it in the direction of Maho Beach anyway. Doesn't the runway already begin almost right over the fence there?

Ever seen Kai Tak airport?  Big grin

AlitaliaMD11

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:38 am

I also heard that there were plans to extend the runway on both sides, closing Maho Beach.
No Vueling No Party

jpdflymhtmlb

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:54 am

Maho Beach WILL NOT be closed. End of story.

Fly
Landings are just controlled crashes.

jsposaune

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:21 am

Don't worry, the beach won't close. They may, however, move the threshold of the runway down a couple hundred feet. Don't forget, the road that runs parallel to the beach is the only access to that portion of the island. (Caravanserai resort, etc.)
There are no stupid questions....only stupid people!!!

jumbojet

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:24 am

Quoting Jpdflymhtmlb (Reply 6):

Fly

checkmark 

boeingfanyyz

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:04 pm

Dont see why they would as it would only allow for about 10 extra feet! As well, the tides are too big an issue if you consider the possibilty of rising sea levels and tropical storms which would subject the runway in question to flooding!

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

litz

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting Jsposaune (Reply 7):
Don't forget, the road that runs parallel to the beach is the only access to that portion of the island.

Is there any kind of warning to people driving on that road? I've seen the movies of what the jetblast does to the people hanging on the fence - I would think it would be even worse to a vehicle ...

(although I'm sure the thrill is immense, do those people really realize what kind of sandblasting they're about to receive?)

- litz

socal

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:46 pm

They should extend the runway on the opposite side, not the Maho beach side.  airplane 
I Love HNL.............

Vasu

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:49 pm

Read all the earlier replies, people!

Quoting Jsposaune (Reply 7):
Don't worry, the beach won't close.

HS748

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:53 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 12):
Read all the earlier replies, people!

Why, are all those replies from planning experts who have seen the detailed plans for the runway extension? Or perhaps they're just amateurs assuming the runway won't be extended over the beach, in which case everyone else has the right to post their views too.

pawsleykat

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:56 pm

Let's all go out there anyway and start a protest;
"We shall not be moved, unless the authorities decide to keep Maho Beach open!!!!" Just a suggestion. (I'm having a crappy day, so I am trying to be humerous.)
 Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

nema

Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:59 pm

Quoting Aircanada333 (Reply 2):

Yep... Me Too
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

smokeyrosco

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:22 pm

Can they really extend it too much on the other side? don't any aircraft taking off away from the beach have to bank hard right after take off because of a mountain?
John Hancock

Glasgow

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:03 pm

I'll third that!

Wanting to go for some time - will need to save a little harder for the fare!!

Quoting NEMA (Reply 15):
Quoting Aircanada333 (Reply 2):

Yep... Me Too

DAL767400ER

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:07 pm

Like it or not, SXM does indeed have plans to expand the runway over Maho Beach as part of their Master Plan. The runway would be extended into the sea by a few hundred feet, with the road going into a tunnel under the runway. Now, these plans are only the 3rd or 4th phase of SXM, and if it indeed ever were to happen, it would still be a few years away.

ACAfan

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:03 pm

OK people listen up.

1. Yes, they are expanding the runway into the Simpson Bay Lagoon. The Earth has already been moved.

2. They are not presently planning to expand the runway into the Ocean (over Maho Beach)

3. There is a road between the end of the runway fence and the Ocean. This is the holy grail of airline spotting.

4. The road connects Maho to the Beacon Hill district, and also connects Maho to nightspots like the Sunset Beach Bar, Bliss, Bamboo Bernies, etc.

5. The road is the ONLY access to these places.

6. There is no way to extend the runway without FIRST rebuilding the road, because otherwise there would be no access.

7. Therefore, you will always have access to Maho Beach and the end of the runway.
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

ACAfan

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:12 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 18):
Like it or not, SXM does indeed have plans to expand the runway over Maho Beach as part of their Master Plan. The runway would be extended into the sea by a few hundred feet, with the road going into a tunnel under the runway. Now, these plans are only the 3rd or 4th phase of SXM, and if it indeed ever were to happen, it would still be a few years away.

A tunnel?
Under a runway?
On St. Maarten?

They are more likely to build an 8-mile-long bridge to Anguilla!
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

DAL767400ER

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:28 pm

Don't believe it, just go to pjiae.com, and look up Phase III of their master plan, simple as that.

airbazar

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:32 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 21):
Don't believe it, just go to pjiae.com, and look up Phase III of their master plan, simple as that.

Correct. Phase III, if necessary due to increased traffic, calls for the extension of the runway into the sea, and thus destroying Maho beach. However, I have heard that that is just a plan and that currently there is no need for phase III yet and therefore it is still many years away.

ACAfan

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:51 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 21):

I know it is in the plan.
Knowing how things work on St. Maarten, I doubt it will ever come into being.

Vasu

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:10 pm

Quoting HS748 (Reply 13):
Why, are all those replies from planning experts who have seen the detailed plans for the runway extension?

Fair enough... maybe it was my insistance to go to SXM one day taking over!

CVG72

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Quoting ACAfan (Reply 19):
1. Yes, they are expanding the runway into the Simpson Bay Lagoon. The Earth has already been moved.

Shouldn't they finish the airport first that's two years overdue now?

Just a thought.

CVG72
Roll Tide // Next: UA/EV/LH CVG-EWR-FRA-DUS-MUC-EWR-CVG

soundtrack

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:57 pm

here is a trailer of St. Maarten...

http://www.airutopia.com/airnew/clip3.htm

bongo

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:08 am

Why do they want to extend the runway? Isn´t long enough for almost every plane, every loads ?
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

bomber996

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting Bongo (Reply 27):
Why do they want to extend the runway? Isn´t long enough for almost every plane, every loads ?

Not really... for instance the KLM 747-400 cant go directly back to Amsterdam because of the turn to avoid the hill. hey End up going to some other place in the Netherlands Antilles and then back to Amsterdam.

Peace  box 
Two biggest lies in aviation... "I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help you." & "Traffic in sight."

jpdflymhtmlb

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting HS748 (Reply 13):
Why, are all those replies from planning experts who have seen the detailed plans for the runway extension? Or perhaps they're just amateurs assuming the runway won't be extended over the beach, in which case everyone else has the right to post their views too.

Because I have seen the plans for it in my airport design class...but that's just a class, so I must not be an expert...

Fly
Landings are just controlled crashes.

keego

Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:41 am

Please Please Please dont close Maho Beach iv always wanted to go, i was lucky enough to visit Kai Tak but a few scoops at the Sunset Bar on Maho Beach is a dream of mine!!  Smile

EWS

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:51 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ward Callens

You can see the current construction work in this photo.

Lew

COA735

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:07 am

Quoting Bomber996 (Reply 28):
Not really... for instance the KLM 747-400 cant go directly back to Amsterdam because of the turn to avoid the hill. hey End up going to some other place in the Netherlands Antilles and then back to Amsterdam.

Yeah, but they are still going to have to turn the same direction to avoid high terrain, even with a slightly longer runway. Those hills are really close.

captainstorck

Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:53 am

Quoted from http://www.sxm-airport.com/phase-two.html :

The current situation at PJIA is in conflict with regulations of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the Department of Civil Aviation of the Netherlands Antilles (DCANA); to terminate this conflict PJIA must introduce a runway end safety area of 150 meters at both ends of its runway, including a 60 meter strip.

Sounds like TNCM is going to lose some of its appeal to aviation geeks such as myself.

dl757md

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:42 am

Couldn't they relocate the beach at the end of the lengthened runway? If they made a beach all around the extended portion it would actually increase spotting options. Seems like that would be a solution that keeps everyone happy. I don't know, just my uninformed musings.

DL757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

pawsleykat

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:00 am

Don't they have to go back to Curacao? Just, I think I saw it in a picture somewhere, there we go;

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

Devil505x

Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:58 am

Quoting ACAfan (Reply 19):
They are not presently planning to expand the runway into the Ocean (over Maho Beach)

True because what would happen to the beach in front of the Sonesta. I highly doubt they would get rid of the beach.

Thank You!

tugpilot

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:40 pm

I can really see them intentionally destroying a major tourist attraction (aviation fan or not, that beach is a hit) in order to lengthen a runway, when the end result would be less tourism, and thus, eliminate the need for the larger aircraft that the runway was extended for. D'oh!

fraspotter

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:15 am

Would it ever be possible to have the planes take off over Maho Beach if the wind was correct? I'm sure it isn't that black and white, but I was just wondering. But it sure would be a change from the over photographed landings of countless AF and KL aircraft in the database...
"Drunk drivers run stop signs. Stoners wait for them to turn green."

RL757PVD

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 38):
Would it ever be possible to have the planes take off over Maho Beach if the wind was correct?

They already do sometimes... Last weekend (8th) I was walking back from the Sunset Beach Bar and was pleasantly suprised to look down the runway and see landing lights and near engines roaring as an Air Transat A310 did an opposite direction takeoff right over me.

I believe the main issue for the SXM is the required safety areas on both ends. They are already working on the other end of the runway. If anything they may have to displace the threshold meaning planes would be flying slightly higher over the beach.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

COA735

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 39):
They already do sometimes... Last weekend (8th) I was walking back from the Sunset Beach Bar and was pleasantly suprised to look down the runway and see landing lights and near engines roaring as an Air Transat A310 did an opposite direction takeoff right over me.

Yup...Ive seen this on Flightlevel350.com

A342

Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting Dl757md (Reply 34):
Couldn't they relocate the beach at the end of the lengthened runway? If they made a beach all around the extended portion it would actually increase spotting options. Seems like that would be a solution that keeps everyone happy. I don't know, just my uninformed musings.

You take the words out of my mouth !  bigthumbsup 

But they would also have to relocate the bar, wouldn´t they ?  drunk 
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Phantomphixer

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:08 am

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 38):
Would it ever be possible to have the planes take off over Maho Beach if the wind was correct?

You may want to take a look here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YeUZqFBh7tw

(I have more videos from that place but that one is relevant to our thread here. So you may want to check the rest of my videos... Just a thought... no rush  Wink )
Hellenic Aviation Enthusiasts Society "Air-Born"

4holer

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:25 am

Quoting Captainstorck (Reply 33):
The current situation at PJIA is in conflict with regulations of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the Department of Civil Aviation of the Netherlands Antilles (DCANA); to terminate this conflict PJIA must introduce a runway end safety area of 150 meters at both ends of its runway, including a 60 meter strip.

So build 300 meters into the bay and leave the beach side alone?
Planes would be much higher over the beach, would that also kill the attraction?
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

COA735

Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting 4holer (Reply 43):
So build 300 meters into the bay and leave the beach side alone?
Planes would be much higher over the beach, would that also kill the attraction?

Nah, I'd still go there to spot. Landing aircraft will still be considerably low, even with a longer runway. I think the touchdown zone isn't going to change. Also, It would be easier to build on the bay side. There's no resorts or roadways. They would have to build a tunnel on the beach side for that road. That will NEVER happen.