Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N702ML
Topic Author

When Were PI F28s Repainted To US Colors?

Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:48 am

I was looking online at some pictures of USAir Fokker 28 aircraft and notice that despite that fact that these aircraft were acquired in the Piedmont merger of 1989, there are no pictures of the aircraft in pure USAir 1989 colors in the database until 1992.

Can anyone tell me when USAir started repainting the F28s in the 1989 silver/red/blue livery?

Thank you!

USPIT10L

RE: When Were PI F28s Repainted To US Colors?

Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:54 am

About 1991 or 1992. There were so many hybrid schemes on the PI birds, because US management decided to put "USAir" titles on everything and leave it at that. After a couple years of this, they decided to give everything a polished paint job. That bare-metal scheme was my favorite, whether it has the 80s or 90s USAir script.

John

Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:36 am

The F-28s never received the metal scheme USAir livery, they were the exception. The fuselage was painted grey. Although there were a couple of Piedmont hybrids that experimented with the polished metal scheme but that didn't pan out. Call me biased, but I always favored the PI blue stripe (pre-merger) bare metal scheme which appeared on at least one F-28, if I remember correctly and it looked especially sharp on the factory fresh 737-400s in 1988. I believe only 2 -400s got the blue stripe though, the rest were red.

USPIT10L

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:48 am

I believe you, but I could've sworn I saw some Air 21 F28s with the bare metal scheme in the database here. USAir got rid of the F28s in 1995-96. I thought the planes were stripped sooner rather than later. I guess I might've been wrong.

akjetBlue

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:45 pm

Quoting John (Reply 2):
The F-28s never received the metal scheme USAir livery, they were the exception. The fuselage was painted grey. Although there were a couple of Piedmont hybrids that experimented with the polished metal scheme but that didn't pan out. Call me biased, but I always favored the PI blue stripe (pre-merger) bare metal scheme which appeared on at least one F-28, if I remember correctly and it looked especially sharp on the factory fresh 737-400s in 1988. I believe only 2 -400s got the blue stripe though, the rest were red.

I miss those little Fokkers, ha!

I think I found one... we used to get these babys at CHO along with 737s Mad Dogs and DC-9s... miss those days

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Kanagie

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos