avi8tir

Another DL Medallion Question....

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:37 am

ok... my question is this. Lets say that I am making a connection on DL and miss the connection due to weather. I am on a first class A fare. they put me on the next flight but there are no first seats available. a few of the seats are occupied by medallion upgrade passengers. would they bump one of those passengers back to coach since they are on a lower fare and I am an A fare?
*Long live the Widget*

deltairlines

RE: Another DL Medallion Question....

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:08 am

Technically no. Once they've been confirmed in F, they are there to stay. Technically, I believe A fares are coach tickets with an automatic upgrade to F (in terms of fare codes, not buckets)...for example, on the ATL-BOS run, I believe a QUPBV fare (which would be a Q ticket in coach) will book into the F cabin with the seat coming out of the A inventory.

Jeff

B797

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:52 am

Thats right

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 1):
Technically no. Once they've been confirmed in F, they are there to stay. Technically, I believe A fares are coach tickets with an automatic upgrade to F (in terms of fare codes, not buckets)...for example, on the ATL-BOS run, I believe a QUPBV fare (which would be a Q ticket in coach) will book into the F cabin with the seat coming out of the A inventory.

flyingdoc

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:57 am

This exact thing has happened to me. Delta will tell you that an A fare is a coach fare. And they will most definitely put you in coach if there isn't a seat in F. That is one of the major disadvantages of their A fares.

DL787932ER

Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting FlyingDoc (Reply 3):
Delta will tell you that an A fare is a coach fare.

In November, I flew Chicago-ATL and back over Thanksgiving. The cheapest ORD-ATL roundtrips were all about $320; the cheapest MDW-ATL roundtrips were about $400, but one of those had the MDW-ATL segment as an A fare, so naturally I booked that ticket as it was the same price as the cheapest coach fares and not much more than the ORD fares. I got seat assignments both ways when I booked online, including the F seat assignment for ATL-MDW. Both flights were full, so I can't imagine that there wasn't a Medallion (which I'm not) on the ATL-MDW flight who could have been given my seat, if DL didn't consider me a confirmed F passenger. But I got my requested seat both ways (window exit row down, window F seat coming back), and on the ATL-MDW segment I used the First/Business checkin and security lines in ATL, and got the 1.5x mileage bonus for that segment, so it appears DL doesn't consider an A fare the same as a coach fare with regards to the benefits of having a first-class ticket. I don't know what they would have done if I'd missed my scheduled flight.

I have no idea why they "gave away" a seat in F for the same price as the available coach fares, but I sure enjoyed it. Probably one of the last chances I had to fly a 732, especially in the little 8-seat F cabin. Now MDW only gets Connection flights, and although I actually like the CRJs and had a wonderful ATL-MDW segment last month on a CR7 it's not the same as having an F cabin.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

deltairlines

Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:04 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 4):
I got seat assignments both ways when I booked online, including the F seat assignment for ATL-MDW. Both flights were full, so I can't imagine that there wasn't a Medallion (which I'm not) on the ATL-MDW flight who could have been given my seat, if DL didn't consider me a confirmed F passenger.

You were confirmed in F on that flight though. Even if the plane had been a 738 and downgraded it to a 732, then you would still be in F since you are confirmed there. Basically, the only place that an A fare would become the coach fare is in terms of travel disruptions. For example, you misconnect and all the F seats are gone, which includes Medallions. If you were on a full F fare, then they would have to put you in F or give you involuntary denied boarding benefits of some sort (even if you were given a Y seat on the same flight, you get a partial refund and probably some other benefits). If you were on an A in the same exact situation, then you get that Y seat and get placed on the standby list for a F upgrade...along with all the other Medallions out there.

99.9% of the time, you book an A fare and you will end up in that F seat you picked out. But if there are travel disruptions and you're on an A fare and there's no room left in F, you get that Y seat and that's that.

Jeff

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos