yegbey01

Why No Mexican Carriers Fly To Either YEG Or YYC

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:52 am

With thousands of pax flocking to Mexico all winter long and with hundres of charter flights from YEG and YYC to many destinations in Mexico, why is it that there's no regular service (even during winter) operated by either of the Mexican carriers....

What would prevent them from operating such flights

EddieDude

RE: Why No Mexican Carriers Fly To Either YEG Or YYC

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:56 am

MX is considering adding YYC. I guess we will know soon whether they will go ahead with a non-stop route from a Mexican airport.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

ghost77

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:20 pm

Something several from down here don't understand at all. There are many Canadian companies that charter flights to beaches and even make profits of supposedly a "low yield" market...

One of the reason that could come to my mind was (i) CINTRA's lack of management, strategy, charter division, and mid-long term projects and (ii) I kind of think that mexican companies think that leisure and charter = too much work for very few profits back.

Supposedly, last year MX was considering YYC! Hopefully we soon have more news...

g77 APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

orbis

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:21 pm

Poor planning, Poor planning, Poor planning........
we should live our lives as if we were really alive!!! H.M.

boeingfanyyz

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:10 am

Quoting Orbis (Reply 3):
Poor planning, Poor planning, Poor planning........

Im not sure its poor planning. In my opinion, AC has swept most of the market in that area for vacationers heading down south.

Personally, I think there is a lot of hesitation for flying on a Mexican-based carrier. Many people that I know are just a bit skeptical about flying on an airline of that nature. Having flown MX a few times, I know they are far from the best airline, but they are not yet the worst. I'm not sure if its a racial thing or not, but I certainly hope its not.

Just my $0.02 (CDN)

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

juventus

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:13 am

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 4):

Its not a racial thing. People just prefer their country's airline.

mham001

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:44 am

Interestingly, yesterday I heard from Toronto immigration official that the latest trend in illegal immigration is to fly Mexico to Canada and either cross the northern border into the US where its much easier(no desert, less enforcement/mile), or stay in Canada. When the Mexican carriers feel theres a demand, they'll start service.

ghost77

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 4):
I'm not sure if its a racial thing or not, but I certainly hope its not.

Right some prefer to fly their countries carriers, but if its a racial thing thats called IGNORANCE!

g77 APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

LeDragon

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:05 am

Isn't Mexicana a partner of Air Canada ? I think Air Canada code share on Mexicana for flights to and from MEX. Maybe that is why Mexicana don't fly to some canadian cities.

EddieDude

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:22 am

Quoting LeDragon (Reply 8):
Isn't Mexicana a partner of Air Canada ?

They stopped being partners on March 31, 2006. No more codeshared flights and no more mileage accrual and redemption possibilities. It is rumored that AC will launch YVR-MEX. MX on the other hand, may consider MEX-YYC, as mentioned earlier, and has rescheduled the MEX-YYZ flight. Expect more aggressive fares now in the Mexico-Canada routes that are served by both carriers. In addition, AM has been mentioned as a new entrant to the MEX-YYZ route, but this is unconfirmed as of today... at some point the flights were loaded in the reservations system, but they no longer show up, so who knows.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

orbis

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting LeDragon (Reply 8):
Isn't Mexicana a partner of Air Canada ? I think Air Canada code share on Mexicana for flights to and from MEX. Maybe that is why Mexicana don't fly to some canadian cities.

Codeshare agreement ended on March 31st.
we should live our lives as if we were really alive!!! H.M.

wolsingerjet

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:01 pm

Actually you may all be surprised to know that from July to August this year Aeromexico will be flying Mexico city-Edmonton charters catered to bring in mexican tourists to west edmonton mall and jasper.The carrier will use 757s for these flights,as mexicana did two years ago.
Guess what???I dont like you either...

BO__einG

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:18 pm

A number of years back both Mexicana and Aeromexico flew to YYC.

I think one of the two will soon connect to Calgary.
BOth times were in the form of charter flights similar to the ones that are going to take place for Edmonton this year.
I hope that there will be a Mexican connection this year..
Even if it is not from the Capital city, I'm sure resort destinations may still be able to do well.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

wolsingerjet

Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:06 am

I remember back in the early 90s Taesa used to fly a 727-200 from Puerto vallarta to Edmonton for a winter charter program.Now it seems all the western canada to mexico flights are handled by Transat,Skyservice,and westjet,off course there is the MX service to YVR.

Airportguy1971

Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:18 am

From YYC you can make a quick one stop in Denver to PVR, ACA, CUN, SJD, CZM, ZIH on Frontier.

You'd have to clear customs twice but it's do-able

wolsingerjet

Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:21 am

What routes to mexico does UAL offer from Denver?We get twice daily service to Denver by them at YEG.I would be willing to do that run in the off season.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos