SDLSimme
Topic Author

Dress Code On Non-rev?

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:44 am

There has been a discussion going on in a trip report regarding dress code on non-rev flights. Why is there a difference in dress codes between non-rev tickets and regular tickets? On non-rev, it appears to be a much stricter dress code. Why is that? I might be stupid for not knowing this, but hey, we all have new things to learn don't we?  Smile

Also, is there a difference between a non-rev ticket and a company ID ticket?

Thankful for answers.
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

burnsie28

RE: Dress Code On Non-rev?

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:45 am

As a non-rev you typically represent the company, dressing sloppy doesnt go over well for a company's image.

USPIT10L

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:48 am

Quoting SDLSimme (Thread starter):
There has been a discussion going on in a trip report regarding dress code on non-rev flights. Why is there a difference in dress codes between non-rev tickets and regular tickets? On non-rev, it appears to be a much stricter dress code. Why is that? I might be stupid for not knowing this, but hey, we all have new things to learn don't we?

Also, is there a difference between a non-rev ticket and a company ID ticket?

Thankful for answers.

First of all, non-rev privileges are just that, a privilege, for working for the airline. Therefore, you are to dress and act as a guest. Secondly, in reality you don't have a seat reserved for you. It's a standby ticket. Looking like the slobs that paid for the ticket isn't going to improve your chance of getting on. Besides, if you dress above the dress code, say a dress shirt, khakis and dress shoes, you have a better chance of getting on when the flights are full.

I presume you mean positive space. That is when the company pays for the ticket and you have a confirmed seat. That's used when someone flies somewhere for company-sponsored training. The company will pay for the ticket so you can get there. A non-rev seat--it's really not a ticket, you don't know whether you have a seat until all the standbys clear--is just that.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

N766UA

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 2):
Besides, if you dress above the dress code, say a dress shirt, khakis and dress shoes, you have a better chance of getting on when the flights are full.

That's not true, it's based on seniority. A better chance at 1st class, sure, but not above anyone else on the meal list.
This Website Censors Me

sk601

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:12 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 3):
That's not true, it's based on seniority. A better chance at 1st class, sure, but not above anyone else on the meal list.

Maybe at the airline you are working for. I work for KL and gate-agents at KL have the right to refuse non-rev passengers if they aren't dressed properly (properly dressed means clean clothing, no jeans, no sneakers, no t-shirts), no matter if they have a high priority (seniority) or listed for C-class. I once downgraded c-class listed staff and upgraded m-class listed staff on the same flight because the c-class passengers were not dressed properly for c-class. If you really look shabby you can be refused although the flight has seats available.

ricardofg

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:17 am

As a nonrev you must represent the company. Not only that there is always a chance a nonrev could end up in business and wearing jeans and a tshirt on a company pass sitting in business class, that will look real good.....I personally think that a lot of people generally dress like slobs nowadays to travel which i find sad. It used to be everyone in there sunday best, now sitting next to someone wearing a tanktop and really high cut shorts or swim trunks for that matter i find appauling. Now if you are staff, take a little pride will ya?

BlackandWhite

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:18 am

BA Staff travel dress code

All employees and their eligible relatives travelling on rebate tickets, either on personal or duty travel must be neatly dressed and well groomed the following is intended as a guide

First/Club class
men may wear a suit or smart trousers. including cords and a jacket worn with a shirt and tie , smart collared casual shirt without a tie or a smart jumper Women may wear a skirt or trouser suit, dress or trousers and top worn with a jacket or coat.
Traveller Class
Staff travelling in the exonomy cabin on both international and domestic routes, may wear more casual clothes including smart jeans and training shoes.Employees should be aware that if there is a need to upgrade on departure those who do not comply with the dress code applicable to the available cabin will not be considered for upgrade.Items of sports or beach wear such as shorts or any other extremes of leisure wear are not acceptable.
Children under 16yrs should be dressed consistently with these standards
National dress of smart appearance is acceptable in all cabins

this policy also applies to other airline staff who want to travel on BA, only time i now ever wear a tie is when im flying on BA

PM

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting SK601 (Reply 4):
I once downgraded c-class listed staff and upgraded m-class listed staff on the same flight because the c-class passengers were not dressed properly for c-class.

Absolutely. I was once waiting to board a BA flight at LHR with my ID90 ticket. Prudently, I was wearing a shirt and tie etc., etc., etc. The ID90 family of three waiting beside me were all in denim. "There you go," smarmed the desk agent handing me my boarding ticket, "since you've made an effort I'm putting you in Business. Have a nice flight." (I did.) "As for you," he said turning to the Denim family, "I've a mind not to let you on at all - YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER - but it's Christmas so I'll be nice. But you're all in Economy!"

On another flight some years and many miles away I handed over my ID90 for a domestic flight within the US on a sweltering day when the temperature was in three figures (F). "Do you have a necktie?" the check-in agent asked. "Yes, but..." I gestured at every other passenger in the queue wearing shorts and thin T-shirts. "Then please put it on," she said sternly and held on to my boarding pass till I did.

And in AKL my wife and I shuffled forward for the LAX flight and, eventually, handed over our tickets. "We're staff," my wife said. "I know," said the check-in agent, "you'd have to be, dressed like that!"

Having said that, before I knew any better I once checked in on a staff ticket (flying Swissair) wearing jeans, was given an Economy boarding card, was then called back to the gate and upgraded to Business, and was later called back to the gate and upgraded to First. It was 16 years ago when SR were still flying three classes within Europe. Keep EasyJet and Ryanair! Those were the days...

kaniksu

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:07 am

They tell you that as a non rev you represent the company but to the other passengers you are just another airline customer. They have no way to know you did not pay for your ticket unless you tell then and you are not allowed to do so. That leads me to believe that the airlines wish everyone to dress nicely in order to make their first/business product look more professional, but can only really enforce, or afford to enforce this with non paying passengers that are employees or have relations with employees.

AA Guest Travel Dress Code:

Dress Code for Pass Travelers
American and American Eagle have a dress code for travelers using employee travel privileges that are strictly enforced. Travelers who are improperly dressed will not be accommodated on the flight. Attire for all cabins should be well groomed, neat, clean, and in good taste. If in doubt, don't wear it. Traditional or casual business attire is required for first or business class accommodation. Coats, jackets, hosiery/sock and collars are not required.

The following attire is not acceptable in ANY cabin:
- Shorts or T-Shirts
- Sweatshirts or tank tops
- Jogging suits, workout clothing or leggings
- Micro-mini skirts
- Bare-midriff or provocative/revealing/see-through clothing
- Beach clothing or footwear, flip-flops
- Clothing with offensive terminology or graphics
- Clothing with holes/ragged or cutoff edges

The following attire is not acceptable in FIRST or BUSINESS class:
- Denim clothing (shirts or pants)
- Athletic footwear
- Split skirts above the knee
- Shorts

Note: children age 6 and under are permitted to wear shorts in coach.

av8rphx

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:15 am

I look at it as a respect thing... and the old saying goes "first impressions are everything". It may sound foolish but alot of times the gate agents do look at your attire. When I travel on carriers other than mine, I still adhere to the same dress code I have on my own carrier, co workers of mine tell me I overdress sometimes and that xyz airline doesnt care what you wear, but I still like to maintain that sense of respect since I am getting a free ride on carrier xyz. And as others have mentioned, it will sometimes benefit you in the form of being upgraded to F or Business class..

N766UA

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting SK601 (Reply 4):
work for KL and gate-agents at KL have the right to refuse non-rev passengers if they aren't dressed properly

Same for mine, but as long as you're within the requirments they can't say "oh, you're dressed nicer than him.. we'll take you."
This Website Censors Me

AEROFAN

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:15 am

it's all a bunch of bull. I've non revved in suits and shirts and ties on SQ down to AA. Suit and or shirt and tie mattered not one bit. All seats were in Y. And you don't get on till all rev pax have boarded and some airlines have a policy not to upgrade non revs anyhow. So dressing like the revenue slobs should be possible

I like VS policy - you can wear a clean pair of jeans and a collared shirt and non rev in their J cabin.

Way to go Virgin!

Which reminds me - wasn't there some sort of policy on some airlines that if you were travelling to a tropical destination, casual dress while non revving was ok???

planespotting

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:44 am

At Southwest (unless the rules have change, which I doubt), jumpseat riders had to have a collared-button up shirt and dress pants at the minimum. I believe non revers had to wear a collared shirt and jeans were also not allowed.

Also, non-revers who travelled wearing company insignia were not allowed to drink alcohol.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

remcor

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:01 am

I almost got DENIED in HKG on UA back from a backpacking trip in Veitnam. Nice shirt, ok pants, but was wearing the only ugly pair of hiking shoes that I brought with me. The gate agent in SGN didn't look down at my feet, but the one in HKG did, and probably wouldn't have let me on but I pleaded with her that I'd just put a blanket over my shoes or that I'd take my shoes off and my socks are nice and my feet are clean. In the end she let the flight attendant make the call... and I just took my shoes off and hid them.

Shamrock_747

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 11):
it's all a bunch of bull. I've non revved in suits and shirts and ties on SQ down to AA. Suit and or shirt and tie mattered not one bit. All seats were in Y.

The British Airways policy which is followed all of the time (almost!) is that staff will be seated in their entitled cabin, which is usually M/Y. Upgrades will only take place for operational requirements such as World Traveller cabins being full.

Personally I will dress smartly for a flight so I am eligible to be seated in a premium cabin should that be the only seat available on the aircraft. I have no expectation whatsoever to be upgraded simply because of my attire.

It appears to be a common misconception amongst many passengers, and from what I've read here also amongst some staff, that smart appearance means the airline is obliged to upgrade them.

trekster

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:20 am

I always, as my sharmrock staes above, dress smartly, just in case im lucky enough to get upgraded. Having a hard time getting my travel buddy to do the same though. I represent the airline, yea im not working, but i have access to something that is great, and dont want to lose it, so will always go smart. Only time i have worn jeans, and smart ones at that is on the Shuttle route, where we are allowed casual atire.
Where does the time go???

WDBRR

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:20 pm

20 years ago, Eastern REQUIRED neck ties for men.
I once checked in at PBI to fly to EWR, the ticket
agent scolded me since I was not wearing a tie.
This was four hours before departure and I wanted
to be waitlisted since the flight was heavilly booked.
Times have changed.

SK973

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting Shamrock_747 (Reply 14):
Personally I will dress smartly for a flight so I am eligible to be seated in a premium cabin should that be the only seat available on the aircraft. I have no expectation whatsoever to be upgraded simply because of my attire.

It appears to be a common misconception amongst many passengers, and from what I've read here also amongst some staff, that smart appearance means the airline is obliged to upgrade them.

This is exactly why I always dress smartly when flying on ID-tickets. I never expect to be upgraded but just in case the only available seat is up front I wouldn't want to be denied that seat just because I couldn't be bothered to dress up for a couple of hours.

jetdeltamsy

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm

Why is there a difference in dress codes between non-rev tickets and regular tickets?

Are you serious? What a ridiculous question.

As a paying customer, you have the right to wear anything that is non-offensive that you like.

When you are flying non-rev, even though you are relatively anonymous, you are still representing your company. You should dress in a manner that doesn't cheapen the experience for others on board.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

phuebner

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:22 pm

My father was a 37 year employee of TWA and anytime we flew we had to dress up. The first time I flew with a regular ticket and didn't dress up was a very strange experience.
Remember this, Your Body is a temple Not a pull toy!

malaysia

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:31 pm

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 16):

SV does scold sometimes for men not wearing a tie currently, even in economy.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

COSPN

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:32 pm

Times have changed.

Was this non-rev or Regular Pax ???

AA777223

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:40 pm

How is anyone supposed to know whether its a non rev ticket or not. I usually upgrade to a first or business class ticket, especially when flying internationally, and I dress comfortably. If you are going to be sleeping on a plane, I don't understand what's wrong with being tastefully and comfortably. Heck, you're paying to fly, what does it matter as long as its covering you up and not slovenly?
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

Stealthz

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:18 pm

Not being an airline employee, I often pay for my own travel and I tend to dress neatly anyway, lots of reasons for that. One of those is I like to make a reasonable impression with those I meet. When I travel on company business I am aware I am representing my company so make perhaps a little more effort.

The discounted travel available to you airline employees, while perhaps not as generous as it was some years ago, is an immensely valuable privilege not available to us mere mortals. My counsel is to treat it that way!!

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 11):
So dressing like the revenue slobs should be possible

I guess this attitude, on the part of some airline employees towards those that pay your mortgages, feed your children and finance your heavily discounted globetrotting is one of the reasons that air travel is not that much fun for many of us "revenue slobs" anymore.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

fxramper

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:26 pm

I'll be in my Sunday best's on AA #137, LHR-LAX, flying First.  bouncy 

Plan to write my first trip report on this segment!  box 

phxmkeflyer

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:47 pm

A few months ago I was non-reving from PHX-MKE and had planned on taking YX. When I showed up at the YX ticket counter they saw I had my Vans shoes on and wouldn't let me go, so I went over to HP and hoped in first class on their PHX-MKE flight! Each airline has their own policy, and each airline decides whther they really enforce it or not.....actually it's usually up to the agent who is working the flight or checks you in.  silly 

Superfly

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:06 pm

As others above have noted, flying non-rev is a privilege and being asked to look professional is not much to ask for when flying for free or for pennies compared to what full-fare paying customers are paying.
Bring back the Concorde

Lufthansa747

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:26 pm

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 22):
If you are going to be sleeping on a plane, I don't understand what's wrong with being tastefully and comfortably.

I wouldn't want to sleep in a collared shirt either, that's why I always carry a pair of SQ F pyjamas with me. Big grin Thankfully the new ones aren't pink anymore...
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

Superfly

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:40 pm

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 27):
that's why I always carry a pair of SQ F pyjamas with me. Thankfully the new ones aren't pink anymore...

Are those the single piece pajamas with the footsies at the bottom?
I used to love wearing those as a kid. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

WDBRR

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:36 pm

Quoting COSPN (Reply 21):
Was this non-rev or Regular Pax ???

This was non-rev....EA charged $6.48 ow coach and $12.96 ow First class.

SDLSimme
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 18):

As a paying customer, you have the right to wear anything that is non-offensive that you like.

When you are flying non-rev, even though you are relatively anonymous, you are still representing your company. You should dress in a manner that doesn't cheapen the experience for others on board.

Yes, I am serious. Why do you think I was asking?
Anyway, thanks to the people that gave me answers to my question!
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

lapper

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:58 pm

I might be stupid for not knowing this, but hey, we all have new things to learn don't we?

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 18):

Just what you can expect sometimes on this board, people to jump down someones throat when asking a simple question. Ever heard of the phrase "he who asks a question may be stupid for a moment, but he who does not ask a question remains stupid forever"? If you don't ask, you'll never learn.

Anyway, back at the ranch.. When travelling on staff tickets in the past, I have always dressed smartly, even for zoo class. You can nearly always spot the non-revvers on a flight!

N1120A

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:09 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 12):
At Southwest (unless the rules have change, which I doubt), jumpseat riders had to have a collared-button up shirt and dress pants at the minimum. I believe non revers had to wear a collared shirt and jeans were also not allowed.

That is shocking given their corporate culture and F/A uniforms

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 12):
Also, non-revers who travelled wearing company insignia were not allowed to drink alcohol.

That is even more surprising, given Herb's habits  Silly

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 20):
SV does scold sometimes for men not wearing a tie currently, even in economy.

Interesting, given that many Moslems believe it is haram to wear ties.

Here is my question. In the past 10 years, jeans have become much more accepted as more formal attire and are considered often better form than wearing dress pants. How come airlines haven't caught up with that?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

fxramper

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
How come airlines haven't caught up with that?

Dunno...several times on D2 passes my uncle will list me in F class, but for whatever reason I opted for Y class and wore jeans. The gestapo AA gate agents made sure I understood I wouldn't get an upgrade because of my attire...  Sad

planespotting

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
That is shocking given their corporate culture and F/A uniforms.

That is even more surprising, given Herb's habits

Nah, they are still an airline, with passengers who expect a somewhat professional atmosphere aboard their flights. If you were a pax and were at the airport bar sitting next to some dude drinking beer while wearing a shirt with "Southwest" and a security badge hanging around his neck, you'd probably think he was drinking on the job. Not the best image to display to your customers.

So when I was traveling on company business I wore an insigniad shirt, and when I was traveling for leisure, I dressed without it.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

ChiGB1973

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:38 am

When working for TZ, business attire was required, as it should be. Not only is it appropriate, but it makes you feel good. Most airlines I non-reved on were very gracious. DL, FL and WN are the ones I used. They were always awesome.

Airlines were always nice on business travel too, particularly UA and WN. Because of that experience, they are my preferred airlines now that I am out of the airline industry. DHL counts a little. I do wish our system was a little better for non-rev travel, but it's nice to have.

M

cedars747

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 16):
Times have changed

Same story with my cousin who works for Federal Express in Memphis,he was holding an non revenue ticket with Delta Airlines.He had to get back home and put a tie to be able to board the plane
Alex!!!

[Edited 2006-04-25 21:12:22]
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

AEROFAN

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:31 am

Quoting Stealthz quoting Aerofan: Quoting Aerofan (Reply 11):
So dressing like the revenue slobs should be possible

I guess this attitude, on the part of some airline employees towards those that pay your mortgages, feed your children and finance your heavily discounted globetrotting is one of the reasons that air travel is not that much fun for many of us "revenue slobs" anymore

Oh gimme a break!!! have you taken the time to look around the cabin on any flight recently???? What do you see? Track suits and flip flops, un- manicured toes with bunions and corns, belly buttons and unshaved armpits!! The ones that you see properly attired are probably all nonrevs. If the shoes fits.. is all I can say!!
It is not much fun for revenue pax because you have bought into the lie by and large of thinking you are supposed to get something for nothing. And I rarely non rev now. I only do it if it is a short hop (less than 4 hours) More than that - I thank God I can buy my revenue tickets.

2 examples: Firstly, I was just non revving to Barbados over the Easter weekend just passed (06) on AA's direct flight. There were 10 nonrevs - all were clearly identifiable- we were the only ones in slacks and collard shirt. All other pax down to children had shorts, tshirts, capris, flip flops and sandals. None of us non revs made the flight as it was booked. We all had to route thru Miami. I won't go into how the lot on the flight to miami was dressed.

Secondly, two years ago returning from Nassau on USAIR:

I was in A white long sleeve shirt, slacks and leather shoes (with laces). At the dept. gate the the agent would not put me on because Y was full and in spite of J being open it's their policy not to upgrade OAL staff (So I was told). Her supervisor told her to upgrade one of their frequent flyers and give me his/her seat in Y. So the annoucement was made and this gentleman approached the dias who had obviously just left the beach. He was in shorts, tank top that had seen better days, sand on his feet and flip flops and smelling of tanning lotion. He was given the seat in J. The beauty about it was that he was travelling with 5 other members of his family. When he got on board he spoke to the FA and all the other 5 members of his family were upgraded.

[Edited 2006-04-25 21:32:58]

AEROFAN

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:41 am

I do not understand - how does wearing a clean pair of jeans and a collard shirt cheapen the flying experience of the pax around you? What brainwashing 60's manual was this taken from?

90% of the pax on the flight will be in this mode of dress or less? FAs, pilots and a couple people on business will be the only ones attired in anything approaching business dress or at least business casual.

oh almost forgot- THE POOR NON REVS AS WELL!

NZFan

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:19 am

I'm coming from an even smaller country than New Zealand and everyone knows anyonebut even in a big country there is always the slim chance of having a pax recognising you as staff who might have served them, and I think that you have to show a little pride. and i think it is only just fair for the airlines to have a dress code when they allow you to travel non-rev. Is it really so much of an ask? Just a give-give situation. They give you something and you give them something.

Stealthz

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:22 am

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 37):
It is not much fun for revenue pax because you have bought into the lie by and large of thinking you are supposed to get something for nothing

What a crock, who is getting something for nothing here?? I PAY for my tickets.
The expectation on the part of some industry employees that the airlines operate merely to carry them around. Why should a non-rev EXPECT an upgrade at all they should be last on and down the back. Don't like that BUY a ticket.
I work in IT, does my employer give me free computing equipment.. nuh!

You enjoy a wonderful privilege yet you and some, I emphasise some of your colleagues seem bent on abusing that privilege.

Frankly I would rather not recognise a non-rev passenger because if I was paying full fare which I often do as travel may be unplanned and a Non-Rev who didn't pay (much) was upgraded ahead of me I would be kinda peeved.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

DLAgent

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:49 am

This is my first post. AS an airline employee I feel that when F seats are available, full fare Y or minimal discounted ticket purchasers should be accomodated to F before an Non-Rev's. My feeling is that the customer will be more loyal to my company and come back again & again because of this action. As the Senior Gate Agent I will always make that call, and invite those passengers who fall within those purchase guidlines to the F Cabin, and release their Coach seats to other Non-Revs. (not sure what this has to do with dress standards, but it seems the thread has wandered a little)

phelpsie87

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:00 am

I fly non-rev on UAL several times a year. I have been given the explanation as mentioned in the thread. You represent the airline when you fly. When I fly, I am listed as Y, but I almost always get the open seat in F because of the dress code. When you easy check-in non-rev for UAL, you have to agree to obeying the dress code before it gives you the departure management card. Besides, why not dress up, show yourself off a little  Smile

NZFan

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting DLAgent (Reply 41):
AS an airline employee I feel that when F seats are available, full fare Y or minimal discounted ticket purchasers should be accomodated to F before an Non-Rev's

and I would also add frequent flyers (such as star gold etc...)

AEROFAN

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:15 pm

Quoting StealthNZ
What a crock, who is getting something for nothing here?? I PAY for my tickets.
The expectation on the part of some industry employees that the airlines operate merely to carry them around. Why should a non-rev EXPECT an upgrade at all they should be last on and down the back. Don't like that BUY a ticket.
I work in IT, does my employer give me free computing equipment.. nuh!

You enjoy a wonderful privilege yet you and some, I emphasise some of your colleagues seem bent on abusing that privilege.

Frankly I would rather not recognise a non-rev passenger because if I was paying full fare which I often do as travel may be unplanned and a Non-Rev who didn't pay (much) was upgraded ahead of me I would be kinda peeved.

Surely you jest! And be peeved all you want! I work at JFK and upgrage a non rev before I would a revenue passenger. And of course you are supposed to pay for your tickets, you don't work for an airline why shouldn't you. I've worked for an airline for going on 13years now and due to my job grade and seniorty I have unlimited upgrades to First and Business class and why shouldn't I?

And you are lying BTW! Most every company has some sort of "privilege" that is given to their employees based upon their industry. If yours doesn't give you one then I suggest you leave!But I bet it does! So using your IT company as an example. I bet you that you are able to purchase computers at deeply discounted prices or able to get tech support free if something goes wrong with your pc at home or able to copy applications free. Something I cannot do. I wanted an upgrade of Windows I had to spend over $200.00 to get it. [Oh wait that's even less than what I have to pay for "the privilege" of a non rev ticket.]

When I worked for Trust House Forte I was able to stay at hotels free or pay a minimum of $25.00. I understand from friends who work for Sheraton that they can stay at any chain hotel for $50.00 per night. Do you want to check what is the price for a hotel room these days? My sister works for a major cell phone company. Guess what? she receives her cell phones free and a certain number of free calls per month. I live in NYC and ride the subways and trains from time to time. It costs $2.00 per trip. MTA employees ride the trains for free by just flashing their IDs. I have a friend who works for ARMANI he gets quite a hefty discount.

Do I begruge any employee of any company their "privilege" absolutely not! It is their privilige for working in that company in that industry. Why on earth are you and many of you of the opinion that there is something wrong with the same like privilege being extended to an airline employee?!

We are the ones who burst our behinds to ensure you get to your destination in one piece and are badly paid for it. The rationale being that the ill payment is ameliorated by " the privilege" of travelling at discounted rates.

"And you would rather not recognized a non rev ", because you are paying a full fare?! The nerve of you?!?! That Non Rev who you have just deemed unworthy, I would have you know - may have been the person to make sure your meal special or other wise was loaded on; that non rev may have been the person who served it to you with a smile, on your last fligt in spite of being abused by ungrateful pax all day; that non rev may have been the person who put their back out of joint trying to lift your overweight bag; that non rev may have been that agent who held the plane that extra couple of mins so that you could make that flight! That non rev may be that pilot who gets you to and from your destination in one piece. The nerve of you!

And for those of you check in staff who refuse to upgrade a non rev - sometimes going so far as to leaving them at the ato while the plane goes out with empty seats... I can certainly understand if your company policy forbids this, but if it is as it seems - simply a power trip you are on... well all I can say is that I pity you. But you should always remember - what goes around comes around and sometimes in the worse way!

jhooper

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:55 pm

I remember almost being denied boarding by a Delta agent when I was non-revving as a 13-year-old kid for not wearing a coat and tie in coach. Luckily for me the rule had just changed to allow the wear of dockers w/ polo shirts in coach on the weekends and the agent just didn't know it and had to look it up in his rule book. (obviously the rule has substantially relaxed since then).
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

NWrr

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:19 pm

My mantra from the very beginning when I started flying non-rev was "dress for first and expect coach." That way, if there magically happened to be a first class seat available, I would at least be eligible to sit there.

When I worked for AA as a gate agent, I made it a rule never to leave anyone behind. Unfortunately, AA policy usually dictated *NO UPGRADES* to offline staff unless absolutely necessary. Did we bend the rules sometimes? Yup. Did I have any hesitation about it? Nope. I figure with karma, what goes around comes around.
Welcome to the back of the boat...the non-rev section

Stealthz

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:20 pm

Mr Aerofan,

Do you know what is funny?
I don't begrudge anyone getting the perks of their particular industry, the thing I begrudge is the lack of respect some in your (and other) line of work have for the "revenue slobs".

Oh btw, no IT company I have ever known gives staff discounts as deep as you can get as an airline employee, as for copying applications etc that is downright illegal and instant dismissal.

The nerve of me??? That non-rev that loaded my meal, poorly paid perhaps but that is not the sole perview of the airline industry, that is the role they took on. No one held a gun at their head. ... abused by cranky pax, again not restricted to airlines, many of us deal with upset, unhappy customers much of the time, perhaps if they were not treated as "revenue slobs" they may show more respect.

Yes you perhaps deserve you perks, certainly not to the detriment of the customer that pays your salary. Just remember very few others have access to the ability to travel cheaply to many destinations and see yours as a little more generous than theirs. Enjoy your perks... just don't rub our noses in it!!

Molykote

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:54 pm

I see it this way....

My non-rev travel benefits are a privilege and I am happy just to have a seat on an airplane to my intended destination. I dress above the requirements of my airline and usually (but not always) wear a coat and/or tie.

If the opportunity to fly in a premium cabin is available I don't believe that revenue passengers should be upgraded at the gate before appropriately dressed (and mannered) non-revs. Airlines are offering a product for sale and reasonable upgrade provisions (for cash or miles) are made elsewhere within the FF/elite programs. What I would not support is a FF/elite being denied the use of a legitimate upgrade opportunity (within the bounds of the FF/elite program) in order to instead accomodate a non-rev.

Upgrades are an employee benefit and are addressed per non-rev policy at most airlines. Appropriate dress is required and depending on the airline an additional fee is required to cover the incremental cost of the upgraded service. If an airline requires non-revs to pay a fee to occupy a premium cabin, the financial impact of a non-rev in F/J/Y is essentially equivalent across all classes.

I don't begrudge employees of other industries who are compensated with pay and benefits of greater value than my own. Likewise, if revenue passengers are being provided with a product that meets the specification of their purchase, I don't believe that a legitimate basis exists for that customer to be upset if a non-rev is seated in a cabin class above his own.

All of my comments are made with the understanding that non-revs should be accomodated discreetly (particularly when upgraded). It's understandable that nobody wants to be reminded that an adjacent passenger paid little to nothing for his ticket. Non-rev conduct while on board should reflect this.

[Edited 2006-04-26 08:59:44]
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

N1120A

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:05 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 49):
My non-rev travel benefits are a privilege

No they aren't. They are a contractual right and form of payment for services. The airline doesn't do that out of their kindness of their hearts. The airline offered non-rev benefits, you accepted and gave your work as consideration.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss