ktliem@YVR

How Many Passengers Can Be Squeezed Into Economy?

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:38 pm

Here's an interesting article from the New York Times about economy seats, and how airlines are squeezing more of them into the economy section.
The NYT

A couple of years I flew Lufthansa's new A346, and was very disappointed with the legroom in the economy cabin. The seats were much worse than the old leather one on the A300 that are used for short hops.

I know that airlines must make a profit, but I don't think squeezing more people into economy, especially on long-haul flight is the way to go.  Confused

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sven De Bevere
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Georg Noack

P.S. The cabins are not from Lufhansa A346 & A300, but I think the seats are the same.

carduelis

RE: How Many Passengers Can Be Squeezed Into Economy?

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:44 pm

Airbus Pitching Standing Room Only (by Goodmanr Apr 25 2006 in Civil Aviation)
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

bestpilot

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:59 pm

And it will continue getting worse and worse. Until airlines dart everyone at the door of the plane and then cram the unconscious pax in. No complaining, no IFE, just out for the count!

N1120A

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:06 pm

Quoting Ktliem@yvr (Thread starter):
A couple of years I flew Lufthansa's new A346, and was very disappointed with the legroom in the economy cabin. The seats were much worse than the old leather one on the A300 that are used for short hops.

While those leather covered Y seats on LH's intraeuropean planes are nice for short hauls, they would not be nearly as comfortable for long hauls. The Recaro seats they use for long hauls are actually very comfortable, even if their pitch does suck.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss